Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 280 Old 03-22-2014, 01:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Adams View Post

That's good news that your brand new LG 55LA8600 passive-glasses 3D TV is doing frame packed from the TD10 3D HDMI camcorder output. This is AVCHD 2.0 3D support of 1080i60-3D. Compared to LG 3D TVs I looked at a while back, this is an improvement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gur75 View Post

Which more TVs and Projectors do support 3D AVCHD at 60i? Anymore news..
... (for instance my Benq W1070 DOES NOT frown.gif
I have no news on 3D displays & projectors that do support 60i frame-packed 3D though I think the Panasonics would be a good bet.

Yes it's a real nuisance the BenQ W1070 projector doesn't support the 60i frame packed 3D created by the TD10. The picture displayed is recognisable but unusable. [There are three horizontal 'blanking' bars. Above the top bar and below the bottom bar cropped frames appear. Below the top bar is a squashed Left frame, and below the middle bar is a squashed Right frame. My W1070 reports the input as 1920x2228, but will not allow manual selection of frame packed mode.]

This is the result whether connecting the projector to the HDMI output socket on the camera (with the camera HDMI set for frame-packing) or the output of a modern Blu-ray player capable of 60i frame packed 3D such as the Panasonic DMP-BDT230. I find that whether the BTD230 is reading the camera contents via USB, or from a 60i frame packed Blu-ray disc authored using PlayMemories, the picture is the same distorted mess on the BenQ projector. However my 2010 model Panasonic 50" plasma TV (a VT20) will display the 60i frame-packed 3D picture properly. Hence my suggestion Panasonic TVs are probably a safe bet.

I also have a Pioneer BDP-160 Blu-ray player. The file navigation interface is quite poor and clunky. I've found this player can perform an imperfect conversion to 24p frame-packed 3D on-the-fly if reading the Sony HDR-TD10 m2ts file from a USB stick, and with media input type set to to video rather than AVCHD. The real time conversion process appears to drop frames. (This method won't work if connecting the camera via USB as the media type the player selects in that case is AVCHD and the video generated is 60i frame-packed 3D. It also won't work with the player reading 60i frame packed files from a Blu-ray produced using PlayMemories.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 280 Old 04-13-2014, 02:29 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The MLXXX household is the proud owner of a 65" Sony 4K passive glasses TV bought in Australia (the KD65X9004A). This is likely to be extremely similar in operation to the US model: XBR-65X900A.

This set despite being a 2013 model will not read m2ts files from the TD10 in 3D.
It reads them in 2D. It won't even read a 3D still (an MPO file) from my FinePix REAL 3D W3 camera in 3D, only in 2D.

However this TV will accept 1080i60 frame-packed 3D from my TD10, and display it properly in 3D. The picture is breathtaking: bright, calm, and with minimal ghosting. The fine horizontal line pattern from the FPR passive screen technology is extremely faint, if noticeable at all. The FPR pattern is much finer than with Full HD passive televisions.*

*Note: unfortunately the 55" Sony 4K set sold in Australia does not appear to use as finely spaced an FPR pattern.
post #273 of 280 Old 05-24-2014, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello all, first time posting, after I got SonyHDR-TD20V. Tonnes of questions right away, most of them were solved by me looking through this forum; thank you for such support. Anyway, I need to express my concerns, experience, and questions. Will be happy if anyone can offer help and encouragement.

First thing first. My setup: PC>HDMI>OnkyoReceiver>HDMI>BenqW1070. I'm playing 3D .mkv files, and stereo pairs, that I make from time to time, via CiberLinkPowerDVD (framepacking). My computer screen isn't 3D.

So, today I got TD20. My desire is to edit filmed 3D video fragments on my computer (cut, splice, add music and transitions - simple stuff for home video), store resulting short movie on the computer (get rid of originals), and to be able to play it through my setup. I released that VegasPro13 is the only convenient software to do so (even though I got used to Premiere; unfortunately it doesn't have 3D support whatsoever). My project properties should be "side-by-side half"&progressive scan to get rid of ugly interlacing.

When it comes to rendering the final product "AVCHD 1920x1080 60i 5.1 Surround" profile able to preserve quality and 5.1 sound. Resulting file is .m2ts which I'm fine with as it can be understood by Premiere and common media players.

Lastly, the questions. Is it true that I can't, in similar matter as explained above, save "side-by-side full" 3D? I could never understand why. Is it because TV and projectors can't handle the truth? Or is it because HDMI cable isn't "side-by-side full" compatible?

Another question. When I play 3D content from TD20, where camera slowly pans through the scenery, it looks like frame rate is dropped to 7-10fps. If I play the same scene in 2D or in 3D on the computer (since I don't have 3D monitor I play anaglyph) it doesn't have that lag. When I play movies in .mkv, I don't observe this problem. So, what gives?

Last question. When I play 3D on the projector it goes into 1080@24fps mode, even though videos that I play are not in 24. Is it normal?

Thank you.

post #274 of 280 Old 05-25-2014, 05:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Is it true that I can't, in similar matter as explained above, save "side-by-side full" 3D? I could never understand why. Is it because TV and projectors can't handle the truth? Or is it because HDMI cable isn't "side-by-side full" compatible?

It's not a question of the truth as in a political debate- It is the technical limitation that most display devices aren't equipped to display SBS full or T/B full without squeezing or distorting the image. The main purpose of using these two FULL formats is to transfer a 3D file from one application to another and not lose resolution in the process. This purpose does not display the file. There are some computer players that will do a conversion of the SBS Full but what ends up being displayed is still a SBS Half or some other resolution limited format behind the scenes.
Quote:
When I play 3D content from TD20, where camera slowly pans through the scenery, it looks like frame rate is dropped to 7-10fps...
Not enough information to understand what is going on. Normally, connecting your camcorder to a 3D TV via HDMI will play properly and is the best way to review your shots. Other connections, transfers, and conversions may have their own limiting problems.
Quote:
When I play 3D on the projector it goes into 1080@24fps mode, even though videos that I play are not in 24. Is it normal?
Check to see if your projector is locked in 24fps mode or set to "auto." Most BluRay movies are 1080 24p A few devices will output 3D movies in 720 60p such as the PS3.
post #275 of 280 Old 05-25-2014, 10:58 PM

I know Premiere, and would like to use it for editing .mts files, but how to import into Premiere both frames (left and right) from the SonyHDR-TD20? Getting 2D is not a problem, I simply drop the footage into Premiere's timeline, and it sees one of them. But what if I need 3D? Here is what I come up with so far:

1. Drop all filmed episodes into Vegas.

2. Select "side by side half" in properties.

3. Without any editing, save footage as AVCHD 1920x1080 60i 5.1 Surround

4. Drop resulting file into Premiere, and edit it as heart desires.

5. Save as .mp4 1920x1080 29.97 Progressive VBR 2pass target15Mbs AAC 5.1 (I figured, it is small convenient file that has close to original quality and 5.1)

If I need to duplicate the same footage, but in 2D, I simply render Vegas project again but without 3D option, and replace the footage in Premiere. This way, all transitions, music, etc are preserved.

Let me know if you have a better solution.

post #276 of 280 Old 05-26-2014, 06:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Since you already have Vegas, you might be much better off spending a single day of dedicated study to get to know Vegas as your primary editing platform. This way you will be working in all one package and be editing your 2D and 3D at full quality. Vegas Pro is really easy to learn, especially if you just take the time to start from the beginning with a basic tutorial and in a couple hours you will be editing faster than you ever did with Premiere, Final Cut, or any other 3 point editing platform. If you do have lots of plugin's that only work in Premiere and lots of money invested in those then it is tough to make the switch but if you want to edit 3D, then you really should work in a 3D compatible platform. But if you insist on the old film style 3 point editing work flow, you can still do that too in Vegas, it is just a slower process to do the same thing that all timeline editing accomplishes in modern NLE's.
post #277 of 280 Old 05-26-2014, 09:30 AM

I'm not familiar with Vegas style workflaw at all. I couldnt find how to make progressive video (I thought I did, but the result wasn't progressive). I couldn't find how to save mp4 with 5.1. I couldn't find how to make keyframes for sound level and balance. Can you suggest the resource that could teach me basic Vegas?
post #278 of 280 Old 05-26-2014, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The Sony Webinars are a good starting point -

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/training/vegaspro
post #279 of 280 Old 05-26-2014, 11:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Some rendering templates do not have everything you want to do turned on and you need to customize your own, then save it as something you will use in the future- In some rare cases a video render type will not permit audio embedding and you are required to render the sound separately, then these files are muxed to the play back format in another program such as DVD Architecture. If you run into these, then you have selected a render output that does not permit audio and video in one file. These options are grayed out.

Adding volume adjustments are done using a volume line added to the sound track. Then you can adjust the volume with keyframes by clicking on that line and then click on it and slide it up and down. Left right panning is also done this way. In addition you can adjust the volume of the entire clip and add fade in and fade out. Vegas even supports hardware control using a Mackie audio board for live play audio level and pan recording to the timeline.

A basic trick in Vegas to learn is right click on something and a popup menu will open you up to many options for what you are clicking on. In addition, if you get confused on something select the ? pointer and here a popup tutorial Help file will open to teach you about something in the program that is confusing.
post #280 of 280 Old 08-18-2014, 06:32 AM

Liked: 0
Hi,
Really great thread on 3d.

I have been editing films and videos for a long time initially using premier pro but last couple of years Sony Studio.
I have the same issues as most posts, want to edit HDR-TD20 3D both streams in HD and then burn the result to BD with minimum loss of resolution and movement artefacts.

Since upgrading to version 13 I find that there are very limited options in modifying the supplied templates and that to get best quality I need to save to disc and then re-render in DVD architect as the Sony template does not seem to render SBS and unable to force the option (project is set to 3D and SBS).
As others also mentioned SBS half is half the resolution, and Sony studio does not offer the option for frame packing rendering.

Have tried the trial download of Power director but that has most of the 3D templates locket so could not really asses.

Does anyone know of sub £100 renderers who could take the edited footage from Sony studio 13 and render it in the format used by film studio released BD's?

I know Sony do in Blu-print but at 10's of thousands of dollars is miles out of the reach of most of us who have bought into their 3D products.

Any thoughts suggestions please?
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page