Using Sony Vegas Platinum 11 for 3D editing and production - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-26-2011, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 124
One of the cheapest 3D software editors ($94 download) for editing 3D videos from the TD10 and creating 3D blurays and other 3D-playable files is Sony Vegas Platinum 11. I have used this software package, and here are some things I have experienced and learned that you will not know from just reading the incomplete manual:

1. The program works with as little as 2GB of memory using 32-bit Windows 7. I used it an an Atom-powerd netbook. Works here means you can trim and concantenate and make transitions with your clips to make a 3D video (including a bluray iso or videos for Youtube) and also see it in anaglyph while you work.

2. Each video you make has an associated project file (if you 'save' after each work session), that when loaded, puts you right back where you left off. You can combine different projects (say, the video you made from your visit to Epcot and your video from, say, the Lion King) to make one longer video by doing the following:

a. Open a separate program for each project - if you have three projects, you will have three copies of the program running.
b. Select and copy the entire time line (two clicks) from one opened project and paste it to the timeline of another project (one click), wherever you want it on the timeline. Keep doing this for each project, pasting each project timeline to the big one.
c. You can now edit that big timeline, burn it to a new iso, save it as a new project and all the materials from the multiple projects will be referenced for later work.

3. The manual says that 3D blurays can only be burned at 10Mbps bitrates. That is not true. You simply make a custom bluray template file at the bitrate you want (up to 26Mbps) and save it. You then can choose your custom higher-bitrate bluray template to burn the iso. You do only have two options for everything else: 108024p mvc or 72060p mvc.

That's the good stuff.

Now the nasty things:

1. On a 64-bit computer the program will simply stop working in the middle of rendering a bluray iso. No matter what. No matter what tweaks you make to number of threads, or memory used for viewing or the size of the file or other programs running. Nothing helps, and it has nothing to do with having Sony Vegas Pro installed also. And the error message says nothing helpful but 'the program has stopped working.' But there is a fix:

a. You download a (free) program called CFF Explorer and modify the program executable and two dll's. The details are over in the Sony Creative official forum. You do this in administrator mode.
b. This fix, which allows the program to use more memory that it normally does, does not fix the problem unless you also run the (modified) Sony program in administrator mode (by right clicking on the program icon and select 'run as Administrator'). Having done that, you can make bluray 3D iso's perfectly; they just take a long time (it's a 32 bit program, remember?).

2. You may be thinking of first using Sony Vegas Platinum 11 and then upgrading to Sony Vegas Pro 10. That program works exactly the same way so if you learned Platinum, you are ready for Pro (and Pro has many more features and there is a much faster 64-bit version that actually works right out of the box).
Easy, right? Just open the project files you made in Platinum in Pro, and then you can just use the added features of Pro. Well, you cannot! Pro 10(e) says, sorry, those project files are from a newer software version and cannot be used. The message is not that polite. So, unless you want to start from scratch, you are stuck with Platinum for those complicated projects you edited in that program. I guess, then, you wait for Sony Vegas Pro 11 before you upgrade.

That's what I learned. But the program does do what it says for the most part, slowly. If you actually read the manual. The 30-day trial has absolutely no limitations during that period, not even any annoying reminders. You can do a lot of editing in 30 days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-26-2011, 08:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Mark- two additions to your fine testimonial.

First- While I only rendered a few pieces of about 20 minutes in length in Platinum, I never had the program crash or stop working during the render on my 64 bit Vista Quad core. But I understand that many have the problem and defer to the work around for those that suffer the problem. I think the real answer here is if you are using a 32 bit computer and need to make blu Rays the Platinum product is a no brainer for ease and saving money. If you are working really complex projects in Platinum, your best advice would be you really need to make the move to Vegas Pro as the Platinum product will just be a dog on rendering time on the 32 bit machine.

The second issue is one you admitted in the past as not using. I do use it and people need to know that the v11 release of Movie studio Platinum suffers the same DD5.1 distortion bug we had in Vegas Pro 10d that got fixed in Vegas Pro 10e. If you want to do DD5.1 projects, I would not recommend using Platinum.

Of course, these things may be fixed in future releases.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-26-2011, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Don for the useful additions. I forgot about the 5.1 DD bug (as you said, I don't use 5.1 (yet)). But everyone should know.

The offical Sony Platinum forums are filled with complaints about the crashes on 64-bit machines; hence the fix. But no one knows the true cause. And Sony is not dealing with it yet.

Also, Don, as I recall you use Vista 64-bit, so maybe it is a Windows 7 thing.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-26-2011, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

The manual says that 3D blurays can only be burned at 10Mbps bitrates. That is not true. You simply make a custom bluray template file at the bitrate you want (up to 26Mbps) and save it. You then can choose your custom higher-bitrate bluray template to burn the iso. You do only have two options for everything else: 108024p mvc or 72060p mvc.

Well, you can also customize a template for 720 50p mvc - as far as I know with 25 mbps. For PAL-countries 720 50p will be the most important template.

Yes, Vegas Pro 10e 64 bit is a lot more stable compared with VMS 11 for 3D editing.

For the rendering issues, setting the internal ram to 0 and disable the thumbnail preview in the timeline could also help maybe.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #5 of 6 Old 08-26-2011, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

"For the rendering issues, setting the internal ram to 0 and disable the thumbnail preview in the timeline could also help maybe."

No, those were tried. No adjustments within the program worked; this hack did the trick for me and many others (in Administrator mode only). Strange.

And, yes, I was speaking NTSC. The 72050p mode for those in PAL lands also can have the bitrate customized for 3D bluray. Good point.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-15-2011, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have imported video from 2 ipods shot at 1280x720 30fps (H.264). I can line them up OK - but when I click on "pair as stereoscopic 3d subclip", I don't see an anaglyph view in the preview window.

I converted the clips to lower quality and this worked - I could see anaglyph and do the alignment (although they ended up being a bit blurry..)

I did some experiments with dvd quality source material and these also worked fine.

Is there some undocumented limitation about using HD source for 3d projects?

Thanks

GF
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page