first generation Ps3 good enough for blu-ray 3D? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-27-2011, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello new to the forum but been lurking around. I got the original Ps3 and wanna know is it good enough to playback Blu-ray 3D movies? I had just purchased a new 3D TV and wanna fully optimize the TV and was not sure if I needa invest into another Blu-ray player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-27-2011, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theprophecy View Post

Hello new to the forum but been lurking around. I got the original Ps3 and wanna know is it good enough to playback Blu-ray 3D movies? I had just purchased a new 3D TV and wanna fully optimize the TV and was not sure if I needa invest into another Blu-ray player.

Let's assume that you want the system to be able to reliably play 3D bluray movies from now on, and not just one disk one time as a novelty. So I will discuss interoperability of the PS3 with a variety of movie source, and the reliability of the PS3 in general.

Experience with the PS3 is that they internally run hot because Sony likely decided is was better to have a quiet PS3 than one that would keep working for many years. The internal heat leads to component failure. To avoid this, various people have figured out how to run the internal fan faster, bypassing the Sony firmware controls for the fan which run it too slow. I have all my PS3s modded to run the fan faster, including the new slim PS3. Sony has reduced the heating problem by several redesigns including new generation graphics chips, but people including myself believe those run too hot too. Yes the PS3 is louder with a faster fan, but it runs much cooler and they last and last that way.

The point of the above paragraph is that if you still have a working fat original PS3, with no fan mod, that never failed, you might be very lucky or didn't use the PS3 very much.

Also, the PS3 bluray drive's laser is known to fail after a period of time of usage. This is easier for a technician to repair than the type of component failure due to the heat issue.

All of these reliability issues aside, the old PS3 has equivalent capabilities for playing 3D Blurays that the newest slim PS3 have, since all PS3 so far have been upgradable with equivalent firmware updates for 3D playback.

The reliability issue could affect a decision to continue using the PS3, or use something else. If I had a working original PS3 with no fan mod or desire to install a fan mod, I'd sell it. The ones with the PS2 compatibility and 4 USB ports on the front fetch top dollar. I'd buy the very newest generation PS3 that has the newest graphics chip. Some people claim these run cooler and will last longer. I'm not taking a chance, so I'd mod it so the fan runs faster. In my household, the PS3s are a workhorse of video playback and game play, though so far I use my HTPC for 3D playback.

A couple of people have reported in the forum that the newest firmware update for all PS3, which added even more 3D features, has an issue where it skips frames in 3D playback. More than one user reported this, and it occurred on both original and slim PS3. There is a slight chance that this is an uncorrectable flaw in PS3 playback when all the new features are combined. It might also be a problem that only a few PS3 have, i.e. a defect of particular PS3 units instead of a design flaw in the firmware. Don't know the answer to this one yet.

One other fact of the PS3 3D playback is that current the PS3 will not playback in 3D mode the 3D files from Sony's own TD10 3D camcorder. To play these, the content has to first be converted to 1080p24 or 720p60 and then burned to a physical bluray disk before the PS3 will play it in 3D mode. This is a substantial interoperability flaw for Sony TD10 camcorder users to see.

It is difficult to believe that the PS3's internal engine has reached the limit of 3D presentation playback that can be improved with firmware. This could be the problem for frame skips and lack of ability to playback 3D files from Sony camcorders. I read on a forum that the PS3 has reached its limit. IMHO, I doubt it.

Sony recently added the Cinavia copy protection scheme to the PS3. This disallows playback of some content unless it is played from an original bluray disk. This scheme likely takes some of the PS3's processor bandwidth, making less processor power available for proper 3D playback. Sony may have decided it is more important to enforce copy protection than to allow robust 3D playback and interoperability.

IMHO, Cinavia will have little effect on the acceptance and proliferation of 3D equipment and little effect on the profits from content sales, IMHO.

The Cinavia copy protection scheme has not been included in most other 3D bluray players yet. That is, most other bluray and DVD players currently play back non-original content which the PS3 refuses to play correctly.

Going back in time to the days of VHS playback and a copy protection scheme called Macrovision, it became a common practice that every piece of video equipment had to honor and re-generate the Macrovision signal, and not remove the Macrovision signal or else the equipment would be violating the DMCA. Now that there is a new copy protection scheme (Cinavia is not only for Bluray) if the same logic was applied, every DVD and bluray player would have to inhibit playback of non-original content, if the DMCA was honored to the letter of the law the way DMCA was interpreted for Macrovision.

The last time I wrote honestly about the heat up problem in the PS3, my post disappeared. Please accept my apology if my facts are inconsistent with forum policy.

3D is still a new frontier... Playing 3D on a PS3 adds more worms to the can. What did I leave out?

"With Liberty, HDTV and Justice for all."
Richard Adams
post #3 of 10 Old 08-28-2011, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I play #D movies on a first generation PS3 without any problems. I also have a dedicated Panasonic 3D player and the picture and sound quality is about the same. My suggestion is to use the PS3 for 3D. The only downside is the original PS3 does consume a lot more power than a new stand alone player and the new stand alone player would be quieter.
post #4 of 10 Old 08-29-2011, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 29
great posts above! ive got a first gen fat ps3 that i had since the first week of launch. ive probably played 5 games in it and use it more for disk playback.

i have not done the fan mod. didnt know it existed.

i was thinking of adding another BRD player there and save the drive for games and such.. still on the fence... but these posts are great for me... ive played more movies in the ps3 than i have games...
post #5 of 10 Old 08-29-2011, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 398
I have an original 60g fat and use it to watch 3D without issues. Works just as well as my Samsung 3D player. I'll use it until it dies I guess (knock on wood).
post #6 of 10 Old 09-15-2011, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Richard Adams - Wow great response! Thank you for going into such detail with ur response. I got the original ps3 and I believe it is the 60gig version. I got it during launch and haven't modded it nor do I really use it. Tell you the truth it is actually collecting dust on my table but now wit my new 3D TV I wanna fully utilize both products. I guess I will look into potentially modding the PS3 for a faster fan or consider selling it for the Slim. Either way thank you for your response!
post #7 of 10 Old 09-18-2011, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 29
im in the same boat prophet. ive got the original old school 60gb (now with a 500gb drive in it) barbecue grill ps3 . i went and purchased a bd player just for movies and will keep the ps3 for games and some online activities. i doubt i will mod it. have not done so in all these years.. why now..

i agree that post was amazing. good stuff.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-19-2011, 12:58 AM

i played my bloody valentine bluray in 3d like two years ago on my 60hz hdtv and my ps3 wasnt updated to play 3d. i used the glasses it came with and i was able to see it in 3d with no problem, so i dont understand why we need 3d tvs and players now when we were able to see movies in 3d before.. i understand that it is slightly differnet format or whatever its called but, what is teh reason we could watch 3d movies before with no problem and now we need all this extra stuff, upgraded tvs components , updated ps3?
post #9 of 10 Old 09-19-2011, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Vastly different format if you were using RED / Green or /Red / Blue glasses.

The current 3D standards for home use tend to equal what you always had ot go to pay theaters to see.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-22-2011, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page