Panasonic-hdc-z10000-3d-camcorder - Page 16 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #451 of 682 Old 04-04-2013, 07:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 198
That's the main advantage of any component vs. composite video, Joe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 682 Old 04-04-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 214
My understanding of single vs 3-chip designs could be better, certainly, but the kind of fringing I'm talking about is different than what we've had to deal with in composite vs component video in the past. In ideal lighting, I don't see much evidence of composite color induced fringing in my JVCs. On the contrary, the color and detail resolution are exceptional (not counting the obvious tendency to over saturation). But sometimes when a bright light colored object gets blown out with the JVC, a very large red or purple fringe appears around the edges of the blown out area. I'll try to post some frame captures of this when I get a chance. When it happens, it makes the shot all but unusable in my book. Fortunately, I'm able to avoid it most of the time. I don't see this in similar shots with the Z10k.

Joe Clark

post #453 of 682 Old 04-04-2013, 07:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yeah, it's there, throughout. However reducing chroma saturation in post can favor hiding the composite artifact of a single chip camera. No doubt, color purity will hold much better through multiple codecs and renderings. In the old days it was tape generations but today's digital files we only worry about lossy codecs. With today's technology, the artifact is much less but still there. For a guy who is as concerned about image quality, you are best advised to shoot with the 3 chip systems. If I were still in the business I would not be using the TD10's at all. The TD10 was the first single chip camera I owned since 1984.
post #454 of 682 Old 04-09-2013, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxman View Post

Hi

Is it normal that convergence adjusting is so slow? Ok, it is precise, but i think its too slow to adjust from 99 to 20 for example.
On TD10 it was only a few sec going from one side to the other smile.gif
Also can this cam show magnified area in the lcd screen, so we can see focus easier?

Sorry I'm late to the party here.

The trick to the convergence wheel is to think of it as a toggle rather than a wheel. If you position your thumb in the center and rock up or down, the convergence changes much more quickly and smoothly. But if you spin it like a wheel, it changes verrrry slowly indeed.
post #455 of 682 Old 04-09-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Here's a video of shots showcasing the Cyclopital3D wide angle adapters for the Panasonic Z10000. Except for the very end, each 3-shot sequence shows the native wide angle of the camcorder (32mm equivalent), followed by the 22mm equivalent Cyclopital3D adapter, then the C3D fisheye adapter. Each shot in the sequence is taken from the same distance, so you can see the increased field of view. I shot this at 24p, and this clip is a standard Blu-ray 3D iso file (edited in Edius 6.52, with the Blu-ray 3D iso file generated in Vegas Pro 12). Convergence on the Z10k was set to 99. I made a very small number of color corrections and tweaked the "gamma" of the clips, as well as trimming each one for length. I'm really impressed with the image quality of the Z10k, and the Cyclopital3D adapters introduce very little distortion. IMO, the improvement in terms of 3D performance and impact is not subtle.

I'm especially struck by how dramatically a couple of things about the Z10k improve the sense of depth over what I'm used to. The interaxial of the camcorder is wider than my JVCs, and the Z10k has a wider maximum native wide angle setting (32mm equivalent compared to about 42mm on the JVCs). This combination makes for a much greater sense of depth. Add the high quality "22mm" of the Cyclopital3D adapter into the equation and the sense of depth is ratcheted up to a whole new level, even before you factor in what can be achieved with the stereo base extender. I'll be producing both filter/closeup adapter and SBE videos in the next couple of weeks. I also plan to do a video featuring Steadicam/Blackbird stabilizer shots using the C3D 22mm wide angle adapter. This is something I've wanted to do for a very long time, and I think I finally have the tools I need to do it right. smile.gif

Joe Clark

post #456 of 682 Old 04-09-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Note: it may take a while for this video to upload to Dropbox, so don't be surprised if it errors out if you try to access it too soon.

Joe Clark

post #457 of 682 Old 04-09-2013, 08:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Look forward to seeing these new videos by you and power plat when I get home. Stuck with iPad here.

Note for owners of the Panasonic Z10000-- some companies are offering a Portabrace Rain jacket for this camcorder. I bought one and it just doesn't fit so I took it into the Portabrace booth today at NAB and the rep confirmed that they do not make a rain jacket for this camera and the one I had was for a completely different camera. so, if you were thinking of getting one, don't. It won't fit properly.
post #458 of 682 Old 04-10-2013, 07:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

For those of you who have a chance to watch the wide angle video, I'd appreciate some feedback on the black levels, in particular whether you think shadow detail is getting lost. I have to be careful with the passive display I use to edit. It's much brighter than my active displays.

Joe Clark

post #459 of 682 Old 04-10-2013, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I will check that Video Joe - takes me some time - but I am keen to see where you end up with the Cyclopital part. I think it is very appropriate to use the convergence setting 99, what are linear axis - to avoid huge disparities that go beyond the limit.

Black level - that is something that I check in Vegas wth the histogram - I think there should be something similar in Edius.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #460 of 682 Old 04-10-2013, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I cannot say a lot about the black level - seems to be fine for me so far, I have seen it on my HDTV only.

The wide angle effect is fine, even if my impression is that the Z10K has a good wide angle even without additional tools. I see the disadvantage that the distance to the farpoint is increased - especially for a 50" HDTV that is to much maybe. But that is a comparison issue only - in the practical use one will select the scene and part of the scene. The quality of the wide angle seems to be fine, as far as I have seen.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #461 of 682 Old 04-10-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for taking a look, Wolfgang. On my passive display and active plasma, the image looks pretty good, but on my projector it's a bit murky. I've effectively increased the gamma to get some extra pop in the image with this version, but I'd like to maintain more shadow detail at the same time. Edius' waveform monitor tells me that I'm starting to crush the blacks when I get to the point that the image has a level of contrast I'm comfortable with. I'll have to play around some more and see if I can find a better balance.

Perhaps the bigger problem is that I'm unused to shooting in the Garden at this time of year, when everything is still mostly shades of gray and brown. I should be in more familiar territory in two or three weeks, and I'll have a better "feel" for the image.

Joe Clark

post #462 of 682 Old 04-10-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

And of course the biggest problem is that I have yet to explore the full range of image options available to me now. smile.gif

Joe Clark

post #463 of 682 Old 04-10-2013, 07:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Joe you may recall my video of the Bellagio Gardens I did a year ago. This year I did the same location with the Z10000. Looking forward to seeing how it looks when I get home. The TD 10 did a good job with 3D but I'm more interested in the image quality comparing the 3chip and slightly wider IA.

Tomorrow I'm off to Death Valley and will be shooting mostly with the twin rig and Nex5n with 10mm lenses using 20 inch stereo base maximum. I may get some shots with the Z10000 too but the subjects will mostly be huge so not sure if it will work anywhere.

I did shoot the Bellagio fountains again this time with the Z10000 and that went OK. Then I went up to the Eiffel Tower but discovered that the Z10k lens shade would not shoot through the tiny opening in the tower security fencing. I will take the TD10 and. An Nex5n with me the next time if I have opportunity Sunday night before I leave for home.
post #464 of 682 Old 04-11-2013, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Joe,

I would not increase the gamma too much - since then the danger of ghosting is increasing too. The Z10K tends to avoid hard contrasts in the base settings. I did the error to correct that in the post, and ended up with huge ghosting in my first video.

What would be interesting to see is such a comparision between the Z10K and the base extender - to my opinion that is more interesting since here one increases the depth braket really.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #465 of 682 Old 04-11-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Don,

Looking forward to seeing what you get with your Z10k. I find the wider stereo base of the Panasonic makes a BIG difference in perceived depth. The difference between 32mm (Panasonic) and 42mm (JVCs) is dramatic, as is the wider stereo base. I'm seeing separation at much greater distances with the Panny. Depending on how closely you can get the Sony's and Z10k to match up in other ways, I could see the very wide shots from the Sony's mixing well with medium and CU shots from the Panasonic.

Wolfgang,

I don't see much ghosting with these particular shots (on any of my 3D displays), even with the increased gamma. But the black crush is definitely there in the first version. I overdid it. In the latest render, I've brought the image back much closer to the original. It all looks a bit lifeless, though, even figuring in the lack of color due to the time of year. I have to play with the settings to try to get closer to my JVC footage in terms of impact. The JVC's may oversaturate, but the thing I like most about them is how much contrast they have. They really pop. If I can't get closer, the shots won't mix well in the same program. I have a lot to learn about the "scene files."

I think I'm really going to like the Cyclopital3D 22mm lens, especially for Steadicam work. One area where consumer camcorders have always been especially weak is how wide you can go with them. For me, a wide angle lens can give a program scope and dramatic impact much better than a normal. I'd wager that 22mm is where a lot of filmmakers feel really comfortable for many of their shots.

I won't get around to the SBE video for a couple of weeks. I'm anxious to find out how it compares to the JVC SBE. It's larger, so you don't lose as much of the wide angle range.

Joe Clark

post #466 of 682 Old 04-11-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

I find the wider stereo base of the Panasonic makes a BIG difference in perceived depth.

Funny, my perception is that the objects are moving to a higher distance - especially on my 50" HDTV the size of objects at the far point becomes much smaller, what means that objects in the nearpoint are more pointed out. I am not so sure if I like that really.

But I think it is very valid that the stronger wide angle will work fine for a Steadicam. I also still testing my Zolinger steadicam, but without an additional wide angle. For me the Z10K alone looks great too.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #467 of 682 Old 04-11-2013, 03:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I see your point about objects in the distance, and I may change my mind as I shoot more, but so far I think I like the wider angle footage better. Of course, most Steadicam shots are done with a wider lens. It calls less attention to movement at the edges of the frame. It it's a gifted Steadicam operator, watching the edges of the frame is the quickest way to tell the difference between Steadicam and tripod shots. But I agree that the Z10k's native wide angle may be enough for many Steadicam shots. I plan to do some A/B - native vs 22mm. That should be revealing.

Joe Clark

post #468 of 682 Old 04-13-2013, 09:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

I completed my last day of shooting in Death Valley. As it turns out, I did the two days of shooting with the Panasonic Z10k for both medium shots and macro. I used the NEX5ns at 20" IA with 16mm and 10mm lenses for the wide scenery stuff. A couple shots where I had some objects under 200 ft. I switched to 12" IA . I did not break out the TD10 for this project. Shot everything in 24p.

The triple mount rig sure brought attention.

After I get home and review the Z10k stuff I what to compare notes with you all on shooting procedure.

I set my user buttons for macro on-off and the other for 3D conv. Reset.

Did I mention I made a bracket for the 1/4 -20 hole that is forward if the existing one so the mount is balanced. I leave it on and it makes life much easier getting the pan head balanced.

I bought a Hoodman HD -350 for the LCD screen too.

I plan to get a fur for the 5.1 microphone. The wind noise is awful. Fortunately, I won't be using much Nat sound for this project.

I have one more pickup shot here in Las Vegas that failed with the Z10k. It's lens was too big to fit through the fence opening. Tomorrow, I plan to make another trip to the top of the Eiffel Tower with the TD10 and hopefully that will fit. I'll carry the little 3D1 and Nex5n just in case.
post #469 of 682 Old 04-14-2013, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Don, to my opinion a major question is still the adjustment of the convergence with the Z10K, given the better controll posibilities. I tend to shoot with C99 and adjust that in the postproduction - what tend to keep the overall disparitie at a low level. But it is a question of the overall settings - in terms of specific numbers of the farpoint and the nearpoint. I like the better understanding from playing with separate cameras and sbs-rigs. For the micro I tend to ignore 5.1 more and more - and shoot with a Beyerdynamic MCE72 CAM or a Röde NTG-2. Both works fine with the Z10K.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #470 of 682 Old 04-15-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Last evening I was able to get back up to the Eiffel Tower and reshoot the Bellagio Fountains with the TD10. It was a perfect ft through the small opening in the fence at the top of the tower.

It's really nice to have such a variety of tools to fit to the task.

Joe, I'm particularly interested in the close up lens with your Z10k. I've been able to get some good shots with the Macro feature on the camera. What if any improvement do you get with the extra lens?

Also, I would want to add some filters such as polarizer and color gradients. Any thoughts you may have on using these with the Z10K would be appreciated. At this time I don't see a need in my kit for the wide adapter nor the stereo base extender.
post #471 of 682 Old 04-15-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

Last evening I was able to get back up to the Eiffel Tower and reshoot the Bellagio Fountains with the TD10. It was a perfect ft through the small opening in the fence at the top of the tower.

It's really nice to have such a variety of tools to fit to the task.

Joe, I'm particularly interested in the close up lens with your Z10k. I've been able to get some good shots with the Macro feature on the camera. What if any improvement do you get with the extra lens?

Also, I would want to add some filters such as polarizer and color gradients. Any thoughts you may have on using these with the Z10K would be appreciated. At this time I don't see a need in my kit for the wide adapter nor the stereo base extender.

I intended to get to the Z10k CU video this past weekend, but more pressing matters intervened. I'll be working on it this week. I'm going to try to do some really close work for this one - including using the 10x Vivitar macro lens - but I'll also do some shots with the 1x, 2x and 4x, with a couple of shots using multiple macro's (such as +1 and +2 threaded together). It's the first time I've gone this close, so I'm not altogether sure what to expect. The only other filters I've used with my JVC adapter are a polarizer and ND, but they worked exactly as I expected. I think the Panasonic adapter/filters will do the same.

Joe Clark

post #472 of 682 Old 04-15-2013, 09:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Joe, the result I got with my Polarizer on the TD10 was a compromise glare reduction. This had to do with a rotation opf the filter that removes glare for one side will not be optimized for the other side and vice versa. Unless you use a separate polarizing filter for each left and right eye camera, it doesn't reduce the glare 100% Mostly, I use the polarizer with the cams in 2D twin mode where each filter can be optimized for glare reduction.
post #473 of 682 Old 04-21-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

I shot a couple hundred Gigs of Pan Z10K clips and have begun to import them to the SSD drive for editing. I was wondering if you all used the software that came with the Pan Z10K to do the import. It's called HD Writer XE. Seems to work OK but I haven't viewed the files yet.
post #474 of 682 Old 04-21-2013, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I use the device explorer in Vegas. Works fine with the Z10K.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #475 of 682 Old 04-21-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I've used that utility, Don, but it doesn't seem to offer any advantage over using the native MTS files in Edius (unless they're longer than 2GB, which mine almost never are). That's the way I've always worked with my JVC files, so it's comfortable for me. I just put the SD/XC card in my computer and transfer the files normally in Windows. This method also allows me to use the JVC utility to view the clips in 3D on my passive display, which I can no longer do if I use XD Writer XE to convert them to m2ts during import. I don't know if Vegas has a preference for m2ts over MTS, but that didn't seem to make any difference in the few tests I ran some time back. If I need to transfer a very long clip (like a show or concert), I'll use XD Writer to avoid the 2GB issue.

Joe Clark

post #476 of 682 Old 04-21-2013, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The 2 GB issue is also not an issue with the device explorer in Vegas - and also not if one uses Edius for the import.

Joe, what is the real advantage to preview the clips in the JVC utility? I mean, you could do the same in Edius (or for the Z10K also in Vegas)?

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #477 of 682 Old 04-22-2013, 07:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The advantages are speed and playback smoothness. The JVC utility fires up in one second flat vs the time it takes for the NLE's to load. The JVC utility also plays the clips incredibly smoothly on a passive monitor, with maybe a *tiny* amount of stutter at the very start of the clip as it stabilizes. It's better than Vegas or Edius in that regard, neither of which is as consistently smooth (especially Vegas). The JVC utility is a quick way for me to check a 3D clip for visual problems, especially pan and tilt smoothness and 24p judder, but also color and convergence. It's useless for audio, though, so it's far from a perfect solution, but I use it to review almost all of my shots. It's my first step in discarding shots with motion problems, especially the small ones that are hard to distinguish from NLE playback glitches.

Joe Clark

post #478 of 682 Old 04-22-2013, 07:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The JVC utility also plays back 3D clips smoothly on less powerful computers that don't even have the NLE software installed.

Joe Clark

post #479 of 682 Old 04-22-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

For, me, the Edius and JVC utilities are a moot subject since I don't even have them, nor plan to. It's a question of either the Panasonic HD Writer or Device Explorer for import of camera clips.

My usual procedure in the past has been to use the PMB for initial import of a large number of clips on the camera memory and later if I need to pull in a couple more, usually less than 10, I will use the device explorer in Vegas.

Observation- When PMB pulls in the clips from TD10 it sets them up as m2ts files with good names to state when they were shot. The Device explorer pulls them in as similar file names but this time as MTS files. Not sure if that matters.

I have not tried to use device explorer for a large number of clips so I don't know if it handles them any better or not.

Opening Device Explorer does require the launch of the Vegas NLE but that hasn't been a real hindrance here as the NLE is usually open anyway.

Currently, the Panasonic SD cards will try to open PMB to import but the version that imports TD10 files does not see the files on my Panasonic SD cards.

A feature I like on the HD Writer is you can scrub the thumb nail of the clip and see what's in it.

As far as playback, all my utilities will play the clips just fine, but only in 2D.
post #480 of 682 Old 04-22-2013, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Joe, I for my part do not see the need for a specific preview at the editing machin for the capturing process. I perform that with the Vegas Device explorer in 99% of the cases, sometimes maybe with Edius. The captured files are fit together even if the original was broken down in some peaces.

Preview becomes important when I start to edit the project only, at least for me. Given the huge raid system that I use, I got enough space to capture all the footage without any selection.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Source Components

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page