Samsung TV built-in player stretches to 16/9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-10-2011, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
When watching 2D content, we have 3 picture size modes.

Mode 1 Video is zoomed to fit the the screen but no stretch is applied. This leaves black bars on the screen and proper aspect ratio is retained. This is the best format to use in pretty much all cases.

Mode2 Video is stretched to fit the screen, black bars are removed. Proper aspect ratio is sacrificed in order to fill the screen. I hate this mode.

Original Video is left a native resolution. This means 720p and other small content is left small in the center with black borders on all sides. Not very useful.

The issue is when invoking SbS or Over Under modes. The player is forced into Mode 2, everythign is stretched. Encodes must be made with the black bars included just to avoid this stretch. This is terrible!

Samsung, fix your player!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2011, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can you throw some model numbers out with this?

I helped a Samsung display owner with somewhat similar issues over the weekend.

He really just did not understand his different source aspect ratio's, and how they translated to his 16:9 sreen was all. There was no issue.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

I have a PN59D550. but I understand the issue is with 2010 samsungs too.

If I encode a 2.35:1 ratio 3D Bluray into a half-sbs file with black bars cropped, lets say 1080x814. If I play on Samsung player and turn into sbs mode, it forces the display into mode 2. the picutre is stretched and proper aspect ratio is lost. I need to encode the movie with black bars included (not cropped) in order for the samsung player to display properly.

This is not an issue for 2D movies. I can crop the bars, set the player to mode 1, and no stretching is applied, it plays at proper aspect ratio, black bars are at top and bottom, but I didn't need to waste bitrate encoding black bars. this is how it should work.

I can play cropped half-sbs files with other external players and everythign is fine. The problem is only with the samsung player. In 3d it forces you into mode 2.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am weak on the HTPC stuff, particularly creating your own media / streams. I'll just bow out, watch, and maybe learn...
Old 09-19-2011, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Well basically my complaint is that the Samsung forces picture size "mode 2" when in 3D mode, but not in 2D. I think we should have control over picture size in 3D too. It's that simple.