Does PS3 upconvert from 2d to 3d? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-11-2011, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
for either blu-rays or games? I don't believe my mitsubishi TV has a 3d conversion feature. If it does, I haven't discovered it.

Thanks

XBL: Rocko1290
PSN: Rocko1290
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2011, 02:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Shooting in 3D is the best illusion of stereography. A conversion in the processor just uses an algorithm that hunts for large blocks of similar color and bumps them out of the surrounding textures of color. This is mostly inaccurate and produces confusing or annoying gimmick. In video editing we can manually manipulate parts of an image and pop them from the surroundings. This is labor intensive conversion.

Many TV's have a conversion 2D to 3D and some work better than others. My Sony 90 ES projector has it and it is annoying in most cases. A gimmick in the remaining cases. Using it to move the 2D movie screen behind the real screen a few inches and then having to wear the glasses is annoying with little value (IMO). The gimmick is when watching a news channel and the surrounding graphics is pulled out above the interviews or news anchors camera view which remains flat, adds nothing to the program, it is just a gimmick.
Real 3D made with good 3D cameras and graphics is fun and entertaining to watch and often adds a new dimension to the story.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 116
The PS3 does not have this feature.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

Shooting in 3D is the best illusion of stereography. A conversion in the processor just uses an algorithm that hunts for large blocks of similar color and bumps them out of the surrounding textures of color. This is mostly inaccurate and produces confusing or annoying gimmick. In video editing we can manually manipulate parts of an image and pop them from the surroundings. This is labor intensive conversion.

Many TV's have a conversion 2D to 3D and some work better than others. My Sony 90 ES projector has it and it is annoying in most cases. A gimmick in the remaining cases. Using it to move the 2D movie screen behind the real screen a few inches and then having to wear the glasses is annoying with little value (IMO). The gimmick is when watching a news channel and the surrounding graphics is pulled out above the interviews or news anchors camera view which remains flat, adds nothing to the program, it is just a gimmick.
Real 3D made with good 3D cameras and graphics is fun and entertaining to watch and often adds a new dimension to the story.

Right, I understand it's certainly not the best of the best, I'm just dying to watch more 3D material on my new 3D TV.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post

The PS3 does not have this feature.

Could it potentially/will it have this capability in the future?

Old 09-14-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko1290 View Post

Could it potentially/will it have this capability in the future?

Who knows for sure, but I wouldn't bet on it. We own a 2d-3d converting BD player. Honestly, it's a better idea than feature and doesn't work very well. We never use it.

But if it's a must have for you, I know panasonic BD players start cheap and provide this option.