So what is the best method to make a SBS file from my TD10 clips? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-29-2011, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, with Don's great little guide i've very quickly and efficiently mastered quick authoring of my clips to 3d bluray, albeit 720p50, but because of the poor 24p conversion etc its the best way imo. I'm now looking at maybe doing the same footage in SBS format, so if anyone has a quick tutorial for this in Sony Vegas i'd much appreciate it. I'd like to retain as much quality as possible.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2011, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Select side by side full. I had to change the pixel aspect ratio to 2.0 in the main preferences to allow it to fill the whole frame, for some reason. I have actually been rendering my tests so far as 60P side by side's. I like they way they look, I really don't like interlacing, for what it's worth.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I do not know if a PAR = 2 works for typical Blu Ray player - do you have experience here, or how do you playback the footage?

If you come from 1080 50i of a PAL TD10, 720 50p is a good choice. Yes, you can do 1080 24p conversion from 50i in a great way if you know how to do it. From 60i of the NTSC TD10 that is much much harder. However, it will not be really better compard with 720 50p, since you always start from interlaced footage (what means that you loose resolution in any case, due to interline flicker).

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
Old 10-03-2011, 09:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
I do not know if a PAR = 2 works for typical Blu Ray player - do you have experience here, or how do you playback the footage?

Wolfgang- My experience here is using wmv codecs and I've been experimenting with SBS Full at 2.0 PAR as well as other unique settings. While the pull down menus have both 1.0 and 1.33 PAR selections, in this case you can ( I discovered) type in your own PAR and 2.0 works ( meaning no unknown render error) I then display using a direct computer to passive monitor or via my LAN to a Popcorn Hour A-210 box that connects to my Sony Projector 90ES.

I've been doing a lot of experimenting with extremely wide IA using twin Sony HDR TD-10's The TD-10's are in 2D mode and carefully calibrated using the camera optics and measured targets. The goal here is to produce a letter boxed panorama in 3D of long distance scenery, such as mountain ranges, canyons and city skylines. I also want to play with fireworks where the fireworks fills the room with negative parallax. The latter would not be an extremely wide letterboxed display but rather a normal 16x9 since scene height is equally important to scene width. Anyway, I'm making great progress with this experiment and the quality is quite impressive. Using SBS full is necessary due to the display restrictions I'm working with right now. If I get everything worked out in the other parts of the panorama 3D project, I'll begin working on how to render to a BluRay with present tools but for now, SBS Full on wmv seems to be working for my internal needs.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

Wolfgang- My experience here is using wmv codecs and I've been experimenting with SBS Full at 2.0 PAR as well as other unique settings. While the pull down menus have both 1.0 and 1.33 PAR selections, in this case you can ( I discovered) type in your own PAR and 2.0 works ( meaning no unknown render error) I then display using a direct computer to passive monitor or via my LAN to a Popcorn Hour A-210 box that connects to my Sony Projector 90ES.

Good fine, if your Popcorn and for sure the pc can playback that footage - sure you can use that. The other question is which encoder settings can be used with a PAR of 2 - for which encoder. wmv is fine too.

We will see some mediaplayer like tthe Xtreamer Prodigy
http://xtreamer.net/xtreamer-prodigy-upgraded/#

in the near future. But also the iconbit, what will be able to playback
3D Side-by-side, 3D Top bottom - even if I do not know if half or full.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
Old 10-03-2011, 12:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 166
The xstreamer will be one to watch, for sure!. Most of what it does can be done with the Popcorn Hour. The real question is whether it will stream 3D BD iso files. The PCH will do 2D iso files but not 3D therefore is the only reason I am fooling around with SBS Full renderings.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

As far as the German distributor has said, the chip will not be able to read MVC and therefore not 3D BD ISOs. For sure that is the question - and at the moment there is no confident information available. It is a shame...

But I think SBS full would be nice with such a player - and that can be done with the Mainconcept H.264 encoder in Vegas too (both the Sony AVC and the Mainconcept mpeg2 encoder cannot be used for SBS full at the moment).

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
Old 10-03-2011, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't seem to get anything to render full size SBS 3d output at greater than 2048, except with the avi format.
Strangely the Vegas 10 help file for the size preferences reads:
size: Determines the frame size of your final movie when rendered. The maximum frame size for AVI, MPEG, QuickTime, RealMedia, Windows Media, and still-image output is 2048x2048.

But my avi does allow 3840 across, so whats up with that ?
I read that WMV's are being rendered at >2k by some people as well, what gives ?
I'm new to vegas, so please excuse my simple question!
Old 10-04-2011, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Try the Mainconcept AVC encoder - can be used for sbs full too.

Or install the x264 encoder, here you go via avi in Vegas. I am not quite sure but I think this very good H.264 encoder can sbs full too.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/x264vfw/files/

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com