TD10 3D Video Editing with Magix... anyone? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-03-2011, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Magix says on their site that the new Movie Edit Pro MX (version18) support editing TD10 videos after a fee-based activation.

As anyone tried that product with a TD10? The price of that product is a lot cheaper than Sony Vegas Pro, but they don't say anywhere how much is the fee for the TD10 activation!!! So I am a little anxious to buy it without knowing if it will work.

If you have any info about this product and its TD10 support please let me know... if it works, it looks like an inexpensive alternative to Vegas.

Thanks,
Eric.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2011, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
There are two major limitations:
- even the purchased MVC-decoder seems to be very slow
- you will not find an MVC-encoder in MX - so you are not able to burn 3D Blu Rays, but have to stick with formates like side-by side or top/bottom.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
Old 10-04-2011, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang S. View Post

There are two major limitations:
- even the purchased MVC-decoder seems to be very slow
- you will not find an MVC-decoder in MX - so you are not able to burn 3D Blu Rays, but have to stick with formates like side-by side or top/bottom.

Good thing I didn't buy it! Burning 3D MVC encoded Blu Rays is a most for me...

Thanks a lot Wolfgang.

Eric.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Wolfgang- I found this product interesting and quite robust ( as claimed) for the money but could not find the claimed reference to the TD-10 compatibility. The other mystery was the claim about the registration and how you keep cost low by only using the codec you need? I don't understand what that is all about. Do they mean that you get billed when you use the product, as in pay per use?

However, with all do respect to eboule, I think his belief that the cost is lower is misleading. The product seems in line with Vegas Platinum HD which sells for under $100 so there is no real savings unless you are inclined to make a big deal over saving 2-3 dollars. Of course you then will be working with a new product with no track record and a whole host of unknowns and gotchas.
IMO, the best thing this product brings to the table is a new competitor that will keep the boys at Sony CSC on their toes. I wish the company luck but I don't see this any great bargain. Consumers are really best served by Vegas Platinum HD. It's about the closest thing a consumer will get to a really good time proven editing package for the money ever. Sony isn't perfect but I prefer to deal with the devil I'm familiar with than the devil I'm not. If a newbie, I'd perfer to deal with the devil others are familiar with than one where I'll be the point man.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Don, I agree that MX is one of the two tools that can be used for 3D editing at the moment (without additional plugins from a third party). So, that is fine for me. But you have to purchase this MVC plugin, it is not very expensive, here in Europe they sell it for 5 Euros. Then you are able to import both Sony TD10 files, but also JVC TD1 files.

However, that is only a MVC-decoder, necessary to read the files. But you cannot encode that to MVC - since there is no encoder at all. There are other output possiblities, side by side or top bottom for example. But no MVC encoder and therefore no 3D Blu Ray according to the Blu Ray specification.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
Old 10-04-2011, 01:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Thanks. for the details. It's mostly for those who are considering it. I still would advise getting Vegas Studio Platinum HD or Vegas Pro. More bang for the buck, not to mention the advantages of staying inside the Sony ecosystem. Life is easier that way.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

Wolfgang- I found this product interesting and quite robust ( as claimed) for the money but could not find the claimed reference to the TD-10 compatibility. The other mystery was the claim about the registration and how you keep cost low by only using the codec you need? I don't understand what that is all about. Do they mean that you get billed when you use the product, as in pay per use?

However, with all do respect to eboule, I think his belief that the cost is lower is misleading. The product seems in line with Vegas Platinum HD which sells for under $100 so there is no real savings unless you are inclined to make a big deal over saving 2-3 dollars. Of course you then will be working with a new product with no track record and a whole host of unknowns and gotchas.
IMO, the best thing this product brings to the table is a new competitor that will keep the boys at Sony CSC on their toes. I wish the company luck but I don't see this any great bargain. Consumers are really best served by Vegas Platinum HD. It's about the closest thing a consumer will get to a really good time proven editing package for the money ever. Sony isn't perfect but I prefer to deal with the devil I'm familiar with than the devil I'm not. If a newbie, I'd perfer to deal with the devil others are familiar with than one where I'll be the point man.

Hi Don,

I did try many times Vegas Studio Platinum HD, but it persistently crashed on my Windows 7 x64 machine (which, even for 100$, is unacceptable). While Vegas Pro is working very well, paying 500$ is too much for me (as I am not a professional… I just want to burn 3D Blu-rays from my TD10 vacation videos).

I was hoping the MX software would be able to encode 3D MVC Blu-rays. And I have to say that in my amateurish opinion, Magix is more intuitive than Vegas Pro and of course cheaper. So until Sony fixes for good all their bugs in Platinum, I will be searching for another product…

Thanks,
Eric.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Eric, unfortunately you are not alone with the low stability of Vegas Moviestudio HD Platinum. There are some tricks in the net, how you can improve stability, even if I have to state that I know some users in my German forum who failed even with those tricks.

Set the internal ram preview to zero. Disable the tumbnails preview in the timeline (that saves a lot of memorie, what is critical for this small 32 bit app).

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com