Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 388 Old 10-15-2011, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Videoguy68 View Post

Test number 2 was even better. I used 2 clips of minimum motion and the result was perfect. My favorite clip is one of my wife stabbing at me with a broom handle. The disc shows the broom coming right at the viewer.

Next up will be a test with transitions and the 4th test will add video effects.

Dinner time here. That is probably it for today.

thanks for these updates Videoguy.
How does the quality compare to the actual footage on the camera?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 388 Old 10-15-2011, 08:29 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasm View Post

thanks for these updates Videoguy.
How does the quality compare to the actual footage on the camera?

I wondered myself and picked two clips that were easily identifiable as being equal in quality when viewed from the camera when connected to my 3D TV and when the 3D Blu Ray disk was played on my Sony S580 and watched on the same TV.

The first clip was of my wife stabbing at me with a broom stick. Both clips showed an excellent 3D effect of the broom seeming to come at me out of the screen. No ghosting, artifacts or anything that would separate the quality of the camera clip vs the same clip created by PD10.

The second video was of a beautiful multi color globe shot at the Corning Glass Works Museum in Corning New York. Once again, both looked similarly impressive with the globe, which was framed in the forefront of the video appearing to be coming out of the screen.

All in all, I was satisfied with what PD10 created.

I have not seen the impact of applying both transitions and video effects. Don had a number of crashes and I will see if there will be simillar problems.

So far, PD10 has done well.
post #63 of 388 Old 10-16-2011, 11:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I have been doing some extensive tests on PD10 this weekend trying to zero in on the jumping video at the beginning and end of a transition trying to determine what causes it. It appears right now to be a problem with one particular transition effect. I have tested over 30 others in all categories and they have performed just fine.
I still have not gotten a satisfactory result on getting a display on my secondary monitor. I'm currently out of ideas to test. I am in contact now with one representative from CL and he has passed on my complaints to other engineers I have yet to hear from.

I completed a satisfactory rendering now for YouTube using different transitions that looks fine. Unfortunately, today YouTube is unusually slow in accepting uploads so when they finally get the processing done I'll post a link to it.

I have also successfully created a menu structure in 3D for BluRay disk and I am eager to see the results. There are only two packaged 3D title pages in the can. I hope they will be offering more later on. The two I do see are quite nice and professional looking. The project is now rendering and burning.

So far I have only tested the good timeline with two output modes and viewed them on my Vizio 3D monitor. The SBS half and SBS full ( SBS full can only be played here on my stereoscopic player since it can handle different aspect ratios required for 1080x3840 frame size to full 16x9.)

While I sure would like to get my secondary monitor working in passive mode 3D lacking this is not a game changer. I'm basically editing in 2D viewing mode, checking the stuff that can be trouble in 3D using anaglyph and then rendering to see how it is working. Having the monitor in Vegas makes that part easier but lacking it in PD10 is not a game killer for me.

FWIW- My nvidia 8800GT with 112 Cuda cores is not detected by Power Director as claimed. Therefore the playback is not nearly as good as Vegas 10e. Vegas doesn't recognize it either but the playback is now running at 15~FPS which is fast enough to get an idea of the story flow. (AutoPreview mode)
post #64 of 388 Old 10-16-2011, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Yes, I hoep that Michael can help you with your preview issue.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #65 of 388 Old 10-16-2011, 02:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

The BD-RE burned and played fine. Menu was nice. 3D quality was about as good as expected. Watched it on both the Vizio and the Oppo BD-93 players.

The audio track was pulled from an audio CD stereo track. I selected 5.1 in the BD burn menu in PowerDirector and the result was Dolby Digital 5.1 audio with sound only on left and right front speakers which is what I expected.
I'm going to have to resort to the manual to dig deeper to see how PD10 supports DTS encoding.

Also note that the full directory structure for the 3DBD was saved to the hard drive and not just some temp files. That will permit burning copies without the need to render each time.
post #66 of 388 Old 10-16-2011, 03:41 PM

Honestly, I still don't know jack about editing nor have taken the time to learn the Sony or other editing software, but this software is easy and intuitive. Already burned my first 3d Bluray, that works with their player, and some side by side with my hd10.

The software will use 100% of your cpu during rendering so if you have anything overclocked, turn on all your fans and pumps.

During Dual screen viewing, which takes a bit of fiddling, but easy to figure out, once you go to 3D mode, you will lose your mouse. So note, if you want to watch dual screen, only hit play once and don't touch anything, until you want control of your mouse, then hit . Or if that doesn't work, ctl/alt/del, and that will bring you back.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...8&d=1318804052

This option, so far, only seems good for viewing. I'm betting that CL will fix this.

If you are single screen (3d), you can use your mouse in the lower portion of the monitor to move through your work.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...9&d=1318804052

As far as hardware goes, I don't recommend the minimum on the vid card, probably won't work well, if at all. Also, you may need the Nvidia beta drivers, not sure, but I'm using 285.38 (Sept 26). There should be some whql drivers coming out soon though (haha-that's what they tell us), the last whql is 280.26, August 9th.

Oh, their 3d overlays, or at least the mapleleaf one, works great.

And, thanks for posting this folks as I was just about going to buy something else, this just had to upgrade, at least to get the basics going. I appreciate the forum here.

Regards,
Dan

980X, 3 X GTX480, Planar 2311W X 3
LL
LL
post #67 of 388 Old 10-16-2011, 10:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Finally got the corrected video edited clean with PD10 uploaded to YouTube. I think there system was down most of the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV5NfUJxmQY

djamesb- Nice hardware! What MB did you use in your computer? I've been looking at the i7 980x too for my next system. But I may stick a 2600K in if the budget gets tight.

If I understand your nomenclature, you have 3 GTX480 video cards. Why do you need 3?
post #68 of 388 Old 10-16-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

Finally got the corrected video edited clean with PD10 uploaded to YouTube. I think there system was down most of the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV5NfUJxmQY

djamesb- Nice hardware! What MB did you use in your computer? I've been looking at the i7 980x too for my next system. But I may stick a 2600K in if the budget gets tight.

If I understand your nomenclature, you have 3 GTX480 video cards. Why do you need 3?

Thanks Don, I've been a fan of ASUS over the last several years mostly building gaming machines, thus this has 3 GTX480 cards. I built this when the 480's came out knowing that the cards would be obsolete in a year, thus I went overkill on the processor as I knew it would be video editing at some point. Need 3 good cards to do sli/3 screen surround 3D gaming. If this was just editing, 2 non sli cards would be sufficient for 3 monitors. I'm no expert, but would want my 3d screen for editing to have as much horsepower as necessary.

MB is Rampage III Extreme, the 980x is OC to 4GHZ and this program will use all 12 threads.

Anyway, could ramble for hours on that topic.

Oh, my build after this I used ASUS Rampage Black with a 990X and it's nice and stable at 4.2GHZ. I use that for gaming now with 3 X 580's. Of course I need to slow the cpu down to stock when I overclock the gpu's. If you look at GPU's, I would get 2 X 580's instead of 1 X 590 (dual GPUs). Issues can be found in the Nvidia forums regarding that. My other personal opinion, EVGA cards, and register them as soon as you get them.

I'll stop now...

On your Pop Up, thanks, that is my next set of questions when I get some more time. I read your other posts on that.

Regards,
Dan
post #69 of 388 Old 10-16-2011, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I see that your nvidia 3D visio works fine with the preview on the secondary display - great. That does not work for my Quadro 2000D.

But do you really have 3 GTX480 cards in that pc?

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #70 of 388 Old 10-17-2011, 06:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

djamesb-

I'm not into gaming or simulations. Although I do have a PS3 and xbox 360 with Kinect hardware. I think one video card is good enough for video editing. I did see the MB's that support 3 cards.

I would like to get a MB that supports 6 slots for memory and a i7-2600K as a starter CPU and later upgrade to the 980x if that is possible. Lots to learn as I haven't built a computer since the EISA days. Today I'm leaning toward building one that is upgradeable with last year's discounted technology rather than one that is topped out with expensive latest hardware. I saw a 2 year old box that sold for $8000 used recently for $800. That's a better deal than buying a used car. But, when I found an editor using that hardware in Vegas, he still could not play the timeline in 3D so I gave up with plans to buy that box. The thing is, in Video editing, tapping the GPU on the video card is the latest thing. I used it first a couple years ago with Sirius Magic's Ultra, now owned by Adobe but they were the pioneers in GPU video processing for video editing. Vegas is expected to go full GPU in their next release so right now this Power Director is state of the art.

Thanks for the tips on the MB and I'll be looking into the specs. With all the horsepower you have, does it play the 3D monitor in preview in real time off the timeline.
post #71 of 388 Old 10-17-2011, 09:28 AM

Ya Wolfgang, that was my 1st mega build as soon as the 480's came out, and built it with an external fan system. I had to overclock the gpu's by 30% to render to 3 monitors giving me 5880 X 1080 resolution at 120hz to give me the max 3D for games. Interesting on no Quadro with this. I guess Cyberlink wanted to make sure they could sell it to the masses. This is going to be interesting.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...5&d=1318868095
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...6&d=1318868095

After the 580's came out, I dedicated that machine to my new Vid hobby, and built another one for gaming. This time I took a long time thinking and built all that you see in the two previous units in to one. After playing and viewing things wide screen in 3d, ain't no going back I'm afraid.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...7&d=1318868095
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...8&d=1318868118

Don, If you have 1 screen, 1 card should be good, but if you want hi res and rendering, etc. at some point you'll want to dedicate a card to processing and 1 to external video, two+ screens. In other words, yes, make sure your board has a minimum of 2 pci x 16 slots (or at least 1 @ 16 and 1 @8).

If you get a motherboard that supports the i7-2600 (LGA1155), you will not be able to upgrade it to a 980x or 990x (LGA1366). Where LGA=# of pins on the cpu. The new 6 core Intel will be LGA2011. All the new stuff is going to be expensive, you might look at price drop for i7-990x and board when the new i7 comes out. I've heard November.

I think you mentioned something about memory before, less memory sticks is better, and stick to max 4gb per stick for now.

Best regards,
Dan
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #72 of 388 Old 10-17-2011, 10:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

If you get a motherboard that supports the i7-2600 (LGA1155), you will not be able to upgrade it to a 980x or 990x (LGA1366). Where LGA=# of pins on the cpu. The new 6 core Intel will be LGA2011. All the new stuff is going to be expensive, you might look at price drop for i7-990x and board when the new i7 comes out. I've heard November.

I think you mentioned something about memory before, less memory sticks is better, and stick to max 4gb per stick for now.

Good education there for me! Thanks. You clarified a few things for me to consider. I had planned on going with an LGA 1366 board but if the 2600 doesn't fit that maybe I'll wait until the price drops on the 990x.

I was considering the ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA1366 board as it has two video slots and 6 memory slots. What do you think? I could get into it now for an affordable price point with an i7-960 and upgrade later to the 990x right?
post #73 of 388 Old 10-17-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:

Good education there for me! Thanks. You clarified a few things for me to consider. I had planned on going with an LGA 1366 board but if the 2600 doesn't fit that maybe I'll wait until the price drops on the 990x.

I was considering the ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA1366 board as it has two video slots and 6 memory slots. What do you think? I could get into it now for an affordable price point with an i7-960 and upgrade later to the 990x right?

I built a machine for my lead I.T. guy using the Sabertooth and a 975X, he cried with joy. Let me look at some specs and revert.
post #74 of 388 Old 10-17-2011, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Don, on your video (which was very entertaining), the dark half-round shadow at the bottom of many of the shots was distracting - what was the cause of that?
post #75 of 388 Old 10-17-2011, 02:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mark the lighting was very tricky in that room. It was very dark. I had to put on the little hotshoe Sony light which doesn't really cover the entire wide frame. The light could also be helped with an extension arm so the front of the camera isn't shadowed. That is probably what you saw in most of the shots. Then we had those people using flash cameras everywhere. Finally, all those shots were done through plastic covered displays so the camera angle and reflections were always changing. There were very few angles I could do that didn't have other people's reflections in the glass. I have another Sony LED light that I used with my big camera but it requires an adapter for the hotshoe and the light itself is about as big as the TD10 and has it's own battery so I can't just carry it in my pocket like the little one I used. That big light is more than wide enough and has very even brightness. Next time I go there I plan to carry it with me.
Anyway, those clips were a good test of the PD10 software because I could not even edit it with Vegas because Vegas doesn't support image stabilization in 3D.
post #76 of 388 Old 10-17-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:

Hey Don, I'll try to make this as short as possible...

Yes, you will be able to upgrade the Sabertooth from the 960 to the 990x. Looking at Asus and Kingston, which be good to verify with whoever you're working with on this, the KHX1600C9D3K6/24GX will work with either processor. Good news. I have Kingston HyperX in both my machines. Great price too.

Always, before installing your Operating System, get a copy of Memtest86+ and run it overnight after you have the system up an running. This will save you grief, a lot. Bad memory sticks are one of the leading causes of newbuild issues. Download and make an iso on a cd.

Other big thing, I prefer not to use the Marvel Controllers for HD. Sticking with the Intel Controllers for HD and Bluray will again, save you grief. If you want fast HD, Raid0 them on the Intel.

Ok, here's the tough part to decide on.

When you get your 990X, if you will be happy with 3.458 GHZ, then you'll be fine. If you want to overclock it, on this board it has to be done "manually" in the bios. Never use software overclock anyway.

If you got the Rampage III Extreme, ya another $160, that board comes with, in the bios, something called "CPU level Up". With 1 click in the bios, all of the manual settings are done for you, including speeding up your cpu and slowing down the memory. Don't worry about slowing the memory, you want your 12 threads to go as fast as possible. Since the 990X is unlocked to boot, with 1 click you have a choice of 4.00 GHZ or 4.20 GHZ.

I ran mine at 4.20 fine but due to my tendency to be a tad on the conservative side, stick at 4.00.

One other tip, watercool, especially since these programs seem to use 100% of all the cores/threads. No need to go extreme with pumps and all (as I go that route because I want to keep my gpu's cool for gaming), but to keep the cost, noise, and temps down, look at the Corsair H60 or H80. I use the H60 on my servers to keep noise down.

If you want quiet, Noctua fans.

Ok, enough, I knew I'd get carried away. Oh, and be sure to read the updated manual when building it

Regards,
Dan
post #77 of 388 Old 10-17-2011, 08:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Dan- More than I need right now, but good info. I will copy and 2save for future reference as I make changes as needed.

Here's what I did. Went in to get the MB and a i7 950 package and select a case memory and win 7 OS to get started. But discovered a package that offered more for bang my initial budget. Impulse buy!
Package has the following- Large gamer case with goofy blue lights and three huge case fans, runs quiet. The MB is the Asus Sabertooth X58 I wanted and the CPU the i7-950 running at 3.06Ghz.
C drive is a 1TB 7200RPM with windows 7 Home. OEM with no bloatware.
Memory is packed out 6 x 2Gb DDR3 1600 PC312800
2 drives, Sony BluRay writer 12x BD write speed and a DVD RW Lightscribe
850w ThermalTake PS
2TB 7200RPM data drive
2X Radeon HD6850 with 1Gb
USB KB & Mouse

That's it!

I plan to get a SD card reader as this system doesn't have one and set up a second data drive for Raid 0 as my initial upgrade. I'm pretty sure I'll need the faster data I/O for the video frames. Then next, if needed I'll swap out both of the video cards for a single faster nvidia card. Just need to see what is necessary but I really don't need the dual video cards that are in this for now. Next, I'll consult your advice and get the memory upgraded if needed to 24Gb which isn't that expensive to do. I'm just happy I have a good start for a 3D video editing system now and for much less than I had planned to spend so far.

One question on your advice. You said to do the memory test before doing the OS install. Should be able to install a temporary C drive that has no OS for the test later on, right? I had the memory tested on this current box when I built it but I didn't do the test. A friend offered to do it for me so I have no experience using the test method. The memory in this box was supposed to have the test run.
post #78 of 388 Old 10-17-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:

Dan-

One question on your advice. You said to do the memory test before doing the OS install. Should be able to install a temporary C drive that has no OS for the test later on, right? I had the memory tested on this current box when I built it but I didn't do the test. A friend offered to do it for me so I have no experience using the test method. The memory in this box was supposed to have the test run.

Great Don, you'll get a rush out of more speed compared to your last machine.

You can do the memtest at any time, with our without OS installed. No need to put an empty drive in. Doing the test before the OS install is just a habit and methodical step process for me. If it's running, and was tested, should be no problem. If you swap memory, be sure to run it, it eliminates the memory as an issue if you have any problems when the OS is running. The memtest boots from a CD, has it's own mini OS, and automatically runs the test.

Happy to help and feel free to shoot me a question later. I bought the Tandy 1000 when it came out and haven't stopped since. I don't have all the answers but know what direction usually to find out.

Regards,
Dan
post #79 of 388 Old 10-18-2011, 12:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Thanks Dan- I'm now on the new machine. Still lots to learn. First install was an antivirus package of course. Then Firefox with my plugins. It is quite "snappy" but I wouldn't say more so than my Q9300 on these basic applications. can't wait to install Vegas and PowerDirector tomorrow. Hope I don't have too many issues licensing them to the new box. Vegas, always allows a couple upgrades but not sure about the others.
I already pulled the second video card since I have no additional monitors and didn't want to waste electricity.
post #80 of 388 Old 10-18-2011, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Great Don - I am keen to hear your experience with both Vegas but also the PD10 ...

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #81 of 388 Old 10-18-2011, 01:58 PM

Hi,

finally i also have time for testing PD10 under win7/64.
I want to create a 3D BD disc with very simple menu,
from my own 3D videos.
So i load Vegas, and render two 5 sec long 3D video in the following format:
3840x1080 sidebyside, uncompressed avi (because PD10 recompress again to mvc, and i don't like compressing twice)
Oh yes, and i have lot of terabytes :-)

So i import the files to PD10, and create a very simple selection menu.
The problem starts when i want to create the 3DBD structure on the HDD.
On my 1st PC, i have a 7600GT card, and when i start the burning process,
error message says i have to enable hardware acceleration for this. OK, i know 7600 is not good for this. So forget this system.
The other PC has a Gef210 card with CUDA cores. With it the error message doesn't show, but after a few seconds it says: burning unsuccessful, error code eC0030011.

1. possible causes: broken or missing source file
(i don't think so, i can play it with mediaplayer.)

2. out of system memory
(i have 4GB, and only around 1GB was used)

So, what's the problem?
Maybe PD don't like the uncompressed AVI format?
Or this is a limitation of the trial version?
Maybe the gef210 is not enough with the 16 cuda cores? What is the cheapest card for this to work?

Anyway why hardware acceleration is needed? I have time, and can wait for creating with CPU only..

thanks!
post #82 of 388 Old 10-18-2011, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Your only issue is that you use the trial. And the trial shows this eC0030011 error. When you purchase the software, this error is gone - we have seen that now for some user.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #83 of 388 Old 10-18-2011, 02:39 PM

Thanks, so you say even my dirty cheap gef210 can do the job?
Ok, with longer rendertime for sure, but without error message?
post #84 of 388 Old 10-18-2011, 02:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Finally got PD10 loaded on my new computer, eager to see if the video will display on the Vizio. The install of PD10 was not without troubles. The installer wanted to lock up win7 every time I tried. What finally worked was to download the main file again this time using win 7 compatibility mode telling PD10 to use Vista compatibility and then it installed without trouble. I also installed the other content files and the free app. Used my serial number which worked fine.

Loaded a few clips from the Sony TD10 again as well as the 3D stills that come with PD10 and tried to view. I got the exact same error double image as I got on the other computer using the nvidia card. This card is the AMD HD6850. While this card was recognized in the GPU selection it would not display proper 3D video. Only anaglyph.

I think CL needs to enable SBS mode on 3D settings. Currently all they offer is anaglyph, Checkerboard, and Row Interleaved. Strange because SBS is what all 3D monitors recognize today and that mode is not used by PD10. There is an "auto detect" mode but on my nvidia card this results in double image, and the HD6850, it results in anaglyph, double image(a real mess).

This is very disappointing as the PD10 is a nice basic editor otherwise. Hope they fix or add an SBS viewing mode soon.
post #85 of 388 Old 10-18-2011, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxman View Post

Thanks, so you say even my dirty cheap gef210 can do the job?
Ok, with longer rendertime for sure, but without error message?

Well, I cannot say anything to the nvidia 210 - but the error message will be gone in the retail version.

Don, that is a pitty. I had another issue today with the PD10 - I use a 3 monitor system. Typically, I do not use one of the monitors. Today all 3 monitors were enabled. When I started playback in 3D, the PD10 always showed the preview in the full size of my 120 Hzs monitor - what does not happen when I use only 2 monitors. Unfortunately, when switching to full mode display half the time PD10 crashes here. So it is a MUST for my system to run the PD10 with 2 monitors only.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #86 of 388 Old 10-18-2011, 07:35 PM

Don, you mention:

"Currently all they offer is anaglyph, Checkerboard, and Row Interleaved"

I take it you aren't getting the 120hz Time-S option? If not probably specific to Nvidia cards? I don't know AMD cards, but do know CL started this project primarily with Nvidia.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...8&d=1318990928

I fully agree on bugginess of getting the 2nd monitor to play 3d. I lose mouse control when going 3d to the 2nd screen in 3d/120hz mode. Similar to losing the mouse in their earlier versions of PowerDVD 3d.

Side by side would be handy. I like the fact that I can use my Geforce cards, maybe, so will start working with their techs. I can see a patch is going to be required soon to make this work right.

Regarding the GEforce 210 and other aspects of requirements:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-visi...uirements.html

Click on the tab "GEFORCE GRAPHICS PROCESSORS". Going to be pushing it on that card.

Off to the CL forums and tech support for now to get my screens working.
LL
post #87 of 388 Old 10-18-2011, 09:51 PM

"I fully agree on bugginess of getting the 2nd monitor to play 3d. I lose mouse control when going 3d to the 2nd screen in 3d/120hz mode. Similar to losing the mouse in their earlier versions of PowerDVD 3d. "

>>If you get 3d working on your secondary monitor, and "lose" your mouse, hit the "window" key on the keyboard, you'll get it back.
post #88 of 388 Old 10-18-2011, 10:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Dan- I do not get the 120Hz time sequential listing. Not that it would do any good because I believe that is for active glasses monitor mode. I take it you are using active glasses, right? My Vizio is a passive glasses polarized LCD screen but that shouldn't matter. CL really needs to offer the SBS output mode then we all could get proper display. It's a simple solution for them. The only disadvantage on SBS is that the monitor does not auto switch from 2D to 3D and back.

Also, I did try my 8800GT GeForce nvidia card and it acts the same way.
post #89 of 388 Old 10-18-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:

Dan- I do not get the 120Hz time sequential listing. Not that it would do any good because I believe that is for active glasses monitor mode. I take it you are using active glasses, right? My Vizio is a passive glasses polarized LCD screen but that shouldn't matter. CL really needs to offer the SBS output mode then we all could get proper display. It's a simple solution for them. The only disadvantage on SBS is that the monitor does not auto switch from 2D to 3D and back.

Also, I did try my 8800GT GeForce nvidia card and it acts the same way.

Correct Don, I'm using the active glasses. fyi, Nvidia just came out/is coming out with new glasses and a new type of approved/brighter monitors. As with my gaming, this too is going to get expensive...

Your 8800GT is probably only going to be good for the CUDA cores, if at all, and not any 3D. See the system requirements my previous post.

Been looking at Vegas and they have high requirements for 3d viewing and processing. See the right hand side of this page:

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...puacceleration

Tip of the day regarding that requirement, don't get a 4xx card, get the 5xx for Nvidia. I'm not recommending NV over AMD, I just know nothing about AMD, ...and for now will keep buying NV.

Regards,
Dan
post #90 of 388 Old 10-18-2011, 11:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Thanks Dan- I too have been partial to nvidia over the years but this package deal came with the HD6850 card which does work for display, just not the GPU access for rendering.

The link you provided, I previously did consult-
Quote:

ATI: OpenCL GPU-accelerated rendering requires an OpenCL-enabled ATI GPU and AMD Radeon Catalyst driver 11.7 or later with an AMD Radeon HD 57xx or newer GPU. AMD FirePro GPU should have 8.85 or newer.

The deficient spec in my system is the Catalyst driver stating 11.7 or higher. It appears that mine is 11.2 but that is the latest one offered by AMD so I don't understand where Sony says 11.7 or higher.

I've been eyeballing the GTX-580 card and with the discount I got on the package I can afford to spring for that budget in a couple weeks. Have to decide if that level card is adequate or should I go even higher. It would be easier to draw upon experience but when it comes to 3D editing it seems to me nobody can demonstrate a flawless experience regardless of how much money they threw at their system. Remember I'm also not happy with the PD10 3D performance. That software is no different on the i7-950 than it ran on my older Q9300. Neither can do 3D preview except in anaglyph.

edit- Dan I did find a new driver download for the catalyst preview and for win 7 64 bit OS. Off to install it now.

2nd edit- Making progress! Good to be tenacious!
The catalyst version 11.8 installed without incident and immediately, I checked in Vegas v11 "render as" and checked for GPU and now it says Open CL GPU is available! Thanks again for your pointing out that reference. It was what led me to find my deficiency.
Now I'm off to see what this does for PD10.
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page