New: Powerdirector 10 now with 3D - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 388 Old 10-19-2011, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Finally got the time to build and try a 3D project in PD10. All went well with no crashes through the producing (i.e. rendering) step, but the project died with no error messages in the Creating Disc section at 93% of the disc authoring step completed. Tried rebooting and running again, but PD10 died in th authoring step at the same place.

This is a 4-5 minute project with Sony TD10 clips, cross dissolves for all transitions except for one 3D transition at the next to last clip, key framed SS music clips, and an opening tittle, and closing credits on a 3D picture. I first rendered the project to the MVC format and DD 5.1. I used one of the two available 3D menus, and that may be the problem. The project did render rapidly (less than 10 minutes) and the Creating Disc step also ran rapidly (about 10-12 minutes before expiring at 93%). I am going to go back into the project, remove the 3D menu and replace it with a 2D menu. If that does not work I am going to remove the single 3D transition near the end of the project.

If anyone else has ideas for addressing the problem at the authoring disc stage, please let me know.

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 388 Old 10-19-2011, 10:49 AM

Answered my own question. I replaced the 3D menu with a 2D menu with no other changes, and the PD10 project burned a 3D disc that played perfectly in 3D in my Sony Blu-ray player with my Sony VPL-90ES projector. It appears that at least one of the PD10 3D menus is not ready for prime time as I could reproduce this failure every time I tried to use the 3D menu. The 3D transition was not a problem.

Now to repeat this test project in Vegas Pro 11 which does not utilize the GPU of my nVidia GTX285 even though PD10, Premiere Pro CS5.5 and Final Cut Pro X all do.

Tom
post #93 of 388 Old 10-19-2011, 01:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Tom- Which 3D menu did you use? I used the one with all the packages and the cake. It rendered fine.
post #94 of 388 Old 10-19-2011, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

Tom- Which 3D menu did you use? I used the one with all the packages and the cake. It rendered fine.

Don:

The only menu I see is for world travel and it works fine. What I really like is that the motion menu preview is in 3D.
post #95 of 388 Old 10-19-2011, 03:26 PM

Don,

I used the 3D Valentine menu.

Tom
post #96 of 388 Old 10-19-2011, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
I been using the trial version and have had error problems. On my Macbook Air it gives an error that there is not enough memory, when I have plenty. On my 2011 iMAC every time I try to render and make a 3DBD disc it pops up an error saying,

"Outout profile is only supported by hardware accelerated encoding. You must enable hardware video encoding option to use"

I can't find a video encoding option anywhere?! I checked all their forums and some say the video encoding option is there but they can't choose it because its grayed out. But I don't even have that?! Also I read to update my drivers for my graphics card. I have an AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5 all updated and working great with other applications. I can find however the hardware accelerated option and it is checked.

I really want to use this on my iMAC but keeps giving me this error. I am wondering is it only the trial and if I purchase this will it work? If thats the case why would only the trial do this and work for others?

My iMAC specs are as follows,

3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
2TB Serial ATA Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5
Windows 7 64bit

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

post #97 of 388 Old 10-19-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djamesb View Post

I fully agree on bugginess of getting the 2nd monitor to play 3d. I lose mouse control when going 3d to the 2nd screen in 3d/120hz mode. Similar to losing the mouse in their earlier versions of PowerDVD 3d.

Ok, for Nvidia users, going from whql 280.26 to Beta 285.38 seems to really help the 2nd monitor in 3D. If you lose your mouse cursor during the switch from 2d to 3d, hit the "windows key" once, and you will get control of your mouse again.

As far as all the editing, etc., I'll leave that to the experts.
post #98 of 388 Old 10-20-2011, 02:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

bravia3D-

Wolfgang noted before that there are differences between the trial and purchased versions. I'm using the purchased version and don't see many of the issues others have observed with the trial. IMO, their decision to rig the trial is hurting sales. but that's another issue that is non-technical.
One thing you always need to remember is that when you decide to work with a Mac you will always be at a disadvantage since these applications are never developed for the Mac. If they work, great, but that is not ever to be a foregone conclusion that it will work.

One thing I will pass along regarding your AMD video card- Be sure you get the latest Catalyst software. In Vegas Pro v11, the version Sony recommends is v 11.7 or higher. I downloaded from AMD website v 11.8 and it fixed my troubles with the video card being recognized. I was using 11.2 before. I don't recall having trouble with ver 11.2 and PD10, however.

BTW, since we last spoke I now have a new computer running i7-950 and an AMD HD6850 with 1 Gb ram. It runs Vegas Pro 3D timeline playback in real time and renders 3 times faster than my old system.
post #99 of 388 Old 10-20-2011, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Don, I'll have to check what version of Catalyst I am using. But I love my AMD, so fast! I may purchase PowerDirector but if the quality of the files isn't as good as Vegas it would be pointless for now.

3D items I own:

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Fujifilm W3

post #100 of 388 Old 10-20-2011, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have started to play with the 2D to 3D conversion a little bit. Seems to work fine, I like what I get from 2D footage.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #101 of 388 Old 10-20-2011, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravia3D View Post

Thanks Don, I'll have to check what version of Catalyst I am using. But I love my AMD, so fast! I may purchase PowerDirector but if the quality of the files isn't as good as Vegas it would be pointless for now.

Both Vegas and PD10 quality are a notch below what the free PMB trim editor does, since PMB gives you the identical quality video that you start with, while Vegas and PD quality are reduced quality.

Sure, the "quality loss" might seem minimal, especially to those trying to push the antiquated editors that require recode to fit in with their legacy design.

Since a different flow produces ZERO quality loss, consumers would prefer loss-less over the PD and Vegas products that takes forever to produce an output, while resulting in a re-encode loss of quality. We are now at AVCHD 2.0, and all players that comes out will soon be doing that.

In case the PD people are listening, here's some things that many of us would appreciate.

1) Menus for 3D - great advantage - thank you.
2) Support AVCHD 2.0 1080i60 3D MVC, since anything other than this will reduce the quality when compared to the original files from the JVC and Sony Camcorders.
3) Re-encode only those portions of the stream where actually needed, such as where effects are added, or where cuts are not at I-frames. This eliminates the need to go to uncompressed AVI, would greatly improve output speed, and give identical quality to the original. VideoReDo (for 2D) calls this "intelligent Recode." (I think VideoReDo invented this). PMB 5.8 is obviously doing the same thing.
4) Output option to bluray iso file.

Since PMB is free, it's difficult to undersell. The PD10 menus are a significant advantage, and could be a Vegas killer (for the low end non-commercial user) when all the crashes and bugs in PD are worked out.

At this point today we really need 2 & 3 above since the free editor beats PD10 in output quality and speed.

A simple step up from PMB 5.8 trim and combine, that we won't ever see from Sony, would be to add a menus to imported camcorder content, with no-recode, and let the user pick still frames within segments as the icons for menu access points with a few words of text next to it. Effects are nice, but they are no where near as important as these basic features that we've yet to see in any product.

"With Liberty, HDTV and Justice for all."
Richard Adams
post #102 of 388 Old 10-20-2011, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Adams View Post

At this point today we really need 2 & 3 above since the free editor beats PD10 in output quality and speed.

PMB is not an editor. If however you wish to complete EXTREMELY simple tasks then it may fit your bill... but it can not do things that a real editor can. You can not color correct, do complex effects, compost or any other such things in PMB.

Quote:
A simple step up from PMB 5.8 trim and combine, that we won't ever see from Sony, would be to add a menus to imported camcorder content, with no-recode, and let the user pick still frames within segments as the icons for menu access points with a few words of text next to it.

Does Premiere Pro CS5 have no re encode for avchd? Does FCP? Does Avid MC? Does Edius?

Vegas is not PMB.... nor should it be.... and HOPEFULLY never will be.
post #103 of 388 Old 10-20-2011, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarney View Post

PMB is not an editor. If however you wish to complete EXTREMELY simple tasks then it may fit your bill... but it can not do things that a real editor can. You can not color correct, do complex effects, compost or any other such things in PMB.

Does Premiere Pro CS5 have no re encode for avchd? Does FCP? Does Avid MC? Does Edius?

Vegas is not PMB.... nor should it be.... and HOPEFULLY never will be.

Simple is in the eye of the beholder.

I'm told there is a way to operate CS5 that doesn't re-encode, though not seen this in use.

The point was that PMB doesn't fit the minimum wish list since you can't add menus when making a Bluray.

PD10 doesn't fit the minimum bill since it forces re-encode of the video which isn't needed to get the optimum result of quality and speed, now that there is AVCHD 2.0, and players that play those disks.

Vegas doesn't do 3D menus and force re-encode.

PD10's advantage over Vegas and PMB is 3D menus. If it is targeted more toward the mass market, (lower price than Vegas?) even if we set quality aside, that market isn't going to tolerate long re-encodes.

Richard Adams
post #104 of 388 Old 10-20-2011, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Simple is in the eye of the beholder.

I'm told there is a way to operate CS5 that doesn't re-encode, though not seen this in use.

You were told wrong. CS5 re-encodes ALL avchd/h.264

Quote:

PD10's advantage over Vegas and PMB is 3D menus. If it is targeted more toward the mass market, (lower price than Vegas?) even if we set quality aside, that market isn't going to tolerate long re-encodes.

Well first Vegas is an editor not an author program. That's the job of DVDa. Now if you're saying DVDa desperately needs an update, then I along with a whole host of others would quite agree. In fact I'll go a wee bit further and state I'm a little irritated that it wasn't upgraded. But as far as Vegas goes... it works just fine for the job it was designed

As for re-encodes.... it's a complicated affair with h.264 and more often than not.... pretty hit/miss stuff. In fact Vegas DID have no re-encode for avchd at one point but it was removed because there was too much trouble with it (actually it was the different avchd types that were causing the issues). That goes for a few others too.... no re-encode was removed because of the problems it was causing.

PMB works because it only has to deal with one name brand and it doesn't have to do anything complicated.

Bottom line.... if you're waiting for a (real) editor to do "no re-encodes" with avchd/h.264... then I suggest you not hold your breath.
post #105 of 388 Old 10-20-2011, 11:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Bugs and glitches on some of the transitions aside, the overall image quality from PD10 is equal to that of Vegas with HDR TD10 source. I think it is also equal to Vegas from the JVC using Joe Clark's productions as my basis. I have the same location shots from him on BD edited in Vegas and PD10 and I would challenge anyone to say one is better than the other.

My main problem with PD10 is not having a secondary monitor in 3D while editing. If they ever wise up and add side by side half as a monitor mode for 3D I think that issue will be behind us. I am in a slow e-mail exchange now with CL on the issue.
post #106 of 388 Old 10-21-2011, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You were told wrong. CS5 re-encodes ALL avchd/h.264

Well first Vegas is an editor not an author program. That's the job of DVDa. Now if you're saying DVDa desperately needs an update, then I along with a whole host of others would quite agree. In fact I'll go a wee bit further and state I'm a little irritated that it wasn't upgraded. But as far as Vegas goes... it works just fine for the job it was designed

As for re-encodes.... it's a complicated affair with h.264 and more often than not.... pretty hit/miss stuff. In fact Vegas DID have no re-encode for avchd at one point but it was removed because there was too much trouble with it (actually it was the different avchd types that were causing the issues). That goes for a few others too.... no re-encode was removed because of the problems it was causing.

PMB works because it only has to deal with one name brand and it doesn't have to do anything complicated.

Bottom line.... if you're waiting for a (real) editor to do "no re-encodes" with avchd/h.264... then I suggest you not hold your breath.

Good points, though there is a finite set of h264 variants. Also, if we count today's 3D source components, the quantity of brands is currently pretty limited, so the quantity of variations of h264 for 3D source components is a manageable task to develop the software I suggested.

Richard Adams
post #107 of 388 Old 10-21-2011, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bugs and glitches on some of the transitions aside, the overall image quality from PD10 is equal to that of Vegas with HDR TD10 source. I think it is also equal to Vegas from the JVC using Joe Clark's productions as my basis. I have the same location shots from him on BD edited in Vegas and PD10 and I would challenge anyone to say one is better than the other.

My main problem with PD10 is not having a secondary monitor in 3D while editing. If they ever wise up and add side by side half as a monitor mode for 3D I think that issue will be behind us. I am in a slow e-mail exchange now with CL on the issue.

Today's 3D displays for home and business are less than optimum. The yardstick for optimum if 4K. Soon, our 3D displays will as good as 4K, and we will then be playing whatever we are editing now on the displays we don't have yet.

Thus, when we judge image quality of editor outputs today, most of us aren't using the optimum displays we will soon have access to.

With that in mind, I prefer to re-encode as little as possible, so that I don't have to judge how good or bad the results of re-encoding is on displays that are still less than optimum.

Richard Adams
post #108 of 388 Old 10-21-2011, 06:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

[quote=Richard Adams;21107262]Today's 3D displays for home and business are less than optimum. The yardstick for optimum if 4K. Soon, our 3D displays will as good as 4K, and we will then be playing whatever we are editing now on the displays we don't have yet.

Thus, when we judge image quality of editor outputs today, most of us aren't using the optimum displays we will soon have access to.

With that in mind, I prefer to re-encode as little as possible, so that I don't have to judge how good or bad the results of re-encoding is on displays that are still less than optimum.[/QUOTE

You have to be kidding right? So what's the point?- Did I need to get a prophesy that in the future we will have technology that will have greater resolution than now? That in the future we will look back and proclaim that what we had back in 2011 was not as good? Or are you trying to convince me that we should not bother to edit today because in the distant future the tools will be better? I don't understand where you are going, Richard. But, I can assure you from my recollection, back when I shot my underwater cave maps using VHS-C format and a few years later with Hi8 that never stopped me from editing in composite video and producing tens of thousands of VHS copies for retail sale just because way off in the future in 2011 we would have HiDef 3D camcorders 1/3 the size of my Hi8 rig and NLE's that could do everything I can dream. Heck I recall back in 1985 dreaming of one day owning a TBC so I could do a dissolve. But it didn't stop the production then working only in cuts. Today, most young shooters don't even know what a TBC is.
Richard, you got on the train when you bought your TD10, so now get to work editing all your stuff you shot with it, make some pretty memories for you and your family and stop with the bellyaching that in the future it will be better so that is the excuse for not doing what you can today. If you stay on this train, you'll have plenty of new projects to edit when those new toys come out. OK?
post #109 of 388 Old 10-21-2011, 06:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang S. View Post

I have started to play with the 2D to 3D conversion a little bit. Seems to work fine, I like what I get from 2D footage.

Gosh I almost forgot about that. I need to test some footage I shot a couple years ago to see what sort of 3D quality I can extract from it. I do recall the demos CL put up were some of the best looking 2D to 3D I've seen in the lower end of the art. Thanks for the reminder.
post #110 of 388 Old 10-21-2011, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

[quote=Don Landis;21107684]
Quote:

Today's 3D displays for home and business are less than optimum. The yardstick for optimum if 4K. Soon, our 3D displays will as good as 4K, and we will then be playing whatever we are editing now on the displays we don't have yet.

With that in mind, I prefer to re-encode as little as possible, so that I don't have to judge how good or bad the results of re-encoding is on displays that are still less than optimum.[/QUOTE

You have to be kidding right? So what's the point?- Did I need to get a prophesy that in the future we will have technology that will have greater resolution than now? That in the future we will look back and proclaim that what we had back in 2011 was not as good? Or are you trying to convince me that we should not bother to edit today because in the distant future the tools will be better? I don't understand where you are going, Richard. But, I can assure you from my recollection, back when I shot my underwater cave maps using VHS-C format and a few years later with Hi8 that never stopped me from editing in composite video and producing tens of thousands of VHS copies for retail sale just because way off in the future in 2011 we would have HiDef 3D camcorders 1/3 the size of my Hi8 rig and NLE's that could do everything I can dream. Heck I recall back in 1985 dreaming of one day owning a TBC so I could do a dissolve. But it didn't stop the production then working only in cuts. Today, most young shooters don't even know what a TBC is.
Richard, you got on the train when you bought your TD10, so now get to work editing all your stuff you shot with it, make some pretty memories for you and your family and stop with the bellyaching that in the future it will be better so that is the excuse for not doing what you can today. If you stay on this train, you'll have plenty of new projects to edit when those new toys come out. OK?

Really Don, this is not about me and you. This is about all the other people that do web searches, find AVS forum's topics, look at the great products offered by the forum supports, and learn from what we care to share.

Any conclusion that PD10 and Vegas output quality are similar miss the point that neither of these produce a signal that is true to the original.

We are digital now. What happened to digital being lossless?

There used to be an excuse to force a recode. That was before AVCHD 2.0. That excuse expired.

It is a fact that running the original 1080i60 output of our camcorder run through Vegas or PD10 produces something worse than the original video. Vegas and PD editor outputs are unnecessarily worse.

These editor tools that do not already support AVCHD 2.0 with 1080i60 3D are now behind the times.

I don't even see CL moving in the right direction yet. Their PowerDVD player isn't yet supporting AVCHD 2.0, and their revised editor introduction doesn't either.

Obviously CL is aware of AVCHD 2.0, and they made a decision to release software without support for it. I thought I'd let them know how people feel about them releasing a new editor that doesn't even support the format of the target 3D camcorders.

Sony did move in the right direction with PMB offering AVCHD 2.0 bluray output, and support for this with a firmware upgrade to their players.

Is there 1080i60 output on Vegas, with or without recode? Can we export the video output of Vegas back to the TD10 to show the results?

If we all bought edit software that was outdated, and there was no competition for a better editor, these vendors would have no incentive to improve it.

Of course we all can use what is available today, and help others to use it. At the same time, I demand something better.

Hopefully, software vendors will get the message when people will hold off on laying out money for software that chugs along and crashes while making our videos worse than technology allows for.

Richard Adams
post #111 of 388 Old 10-21-2011, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I want to buy this but just a few questions before I do... Can I make an SBS file in Vegas such as a .m2ts file or .mpeg4 maybe an hour or 2 long and then drop it into PowerDirector and rerender with a 3D menu? And just how good are the 3D menus and do they work well?

My main goal would be to edit all in Vegas then render as a SBS .m2ts and drop it in PowerDirect to make Menus.

3D items I own:

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Fujifilm W3

post #112 of 388 Old 10-21-2011, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We are digital now. What happened to digital being lossless?

What are you trying to say here???

The very foundation of avchd in itself is lossy. Not withstanding MPEG2 is lossy... DV(avi) is lossy... AC3 is lossy.... MP3 is lossy.... on and on and on.

If you don't want a loss then don't edit your video. It's as simple as that.
post #113 of 388 Old 10-21-2011, 04:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I want to buy this but just a few questions before I do... Can I make an SBS file in Vegas such as a .m2ts file or .mpeg4 maybe an hour or 2 long and then drop it into PowerDirector and rerender with a 3D menu? And just how good are the 3D menus and do they work well?

My main goal would be to edit all in Vegas then render as a SBS .m2ts and drop it in PowerDirect to make Menus.

I've been quite busy doing many upgrades to my workstation and haven't had time to check out that work flow but it's on my list. Maybe tomorrow I'll get into it and run a short test. What I can tell you is I only see 2 templates for a 3D menu but there are about a dozen 2D that you can use. The templates are quite nice and the product is worth it considering all you get. I'll let you know about the test.
I'll set up a render tonight of one of my hour long timelines. Then we'll see how it ports into PD10.
post #114 of 388 Old 10-21-2011, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you don't want a loss then don't edit your video. It's as simple as that.

More accurate statement is, "to retain original video quality, avoid using editors that force you to re-encode."

Example of AVC H264 (not 3D) editor that does not require re-encode: VideoReDo.

Richard Adams
post #115 of 388 Old 10-21-2011, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Don, as always you are a big help! You say there is only 2 3D templates to make 3D menus? Are these templates customizable? For instance, can I use a seen outa 3D footage I have and use it as the background of the menu? Or am I forced to use footage they have of something? I noticed on the demo a game board 3D menu but not sure if you can change it around to what you want.

3D items I own:

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Fujifilm W3

post #116 of 388 Old 10-21-2011, 06:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks Don, as always you are a big help! You say there is only 2 3D templates to make 3D menus? Are these templates customizable? For instance, can I use a seen outa 3D footage I have and use it as the background of the menu? Or am I forced to use footage they have of something? I noticed on the demo a game board 3D menu but not sure if you can change it around to what you want.

The templates are pretty fixed but you can add some of your own stuff. The way PD10 works is like most consumer packages like this. Eventually you will likely be able to purchase a package of backgrounds artwork. The one I used ends up with a chocolate cake with a small card on top that you can insert a PIP of your own video clip and that clip[ can also be in 3D. Joe used a 2D one but his had a bubble with a fisheye distorted 3D clip from his video inserted. The artwork is quite good but the few selections may not be appropriate for your project. Basically, this is a consumer edit package so you will have consumer type artwork like Birthday party stuff, Vacation stuff, Weddings, newborn baby theme, etc. the kind of art that goes with stuff usually shot by family activities.

I couldn't use this package professionally because no mater what, my clients would always want to make a change to the artwork just because they feel they can since they are paying. This is not Sony Blu-Print DVD authoring. For a few bucks you get some nice art that you can type in your own chapter titles and insert some video loops for the preview window.

When I did my TV shows with chroma key, I had over 300 different sets that were prepared art but 90% of my clients always wanted me to build something custom.
post #117 of 388 Old 10-22-2011, 10:43 AM

I have been continuing to work with PD10 for editing 3D material from my Sony HDR-TD10, and I am becoming more and more impressed with the stability and power of this relatively inexpensive package from Cyberlink. I certainly understand that PD10 is lacking some features such as multi-camera editing found in more expensive NLE packages, but it is a remarkable complete solution for preparing prosumer level 3D productions.

I have had only one failure of the software in my experimenting to date and that was with the valentine 3D menu which failed to author but created no error message. Over the last two days I created a 4.5 minute 3D production from start to finish with PD10 that utilized clips from my TD10 and contained transitions, animated 3D titles, scrolling credits over a 3D image at the end, music from SmartSound clips that was mixed with existing captured sound from the TD10 using key framing, extensive effects and filters to increase saturation, etc. I rendered (or "produced" to use the PD10 nomenclature) this project to both YouTube as a 3D anaglyph video and to a 3D Blu-ray complete with 3D menu all without the slightest problem with the software. Considering that I was experimenting with lots of different features of the program in this short production, it seems to me that the PD10 software is remarkably stable when doing 3D work.

I also like the layout of the program. It takes some getting used to how PD10 "works", but that is true of any NLE program. Now that I understand its work-flow I find that I can very rapidly put together a quite respectable looking 3D production using the software. The Director Zone is a good source of interesting menus, templates, etc. prepared by others.

Most importantly to me, is the speed of rendering and the quality of the preview in PD10. I am working on a three year old Mac Pro running Windows 7 64 bit with Boot Camp with an nVidia GTX285 video card that is over clocked. Rendering my 3D projects, even with all effects, transitions, animated titles, etc that I had in this project, is very fast with my 4.5 minute project requiring only about 12 minutes to render to the 3D Blu-ray format. Preview of clips with simple cross-dissolves is real time. Adding effects and animating 3D tittles, does cause my preview to slow down and occasionally hesitate, but I have yet to create a situation where I had to step through a region frame by frame to see how it was going to turn out.

The PD10 program is rapidly becoming my NLE of choice for editing my Sony TD10 footage and outputting it silly and rapidly to various formats.

Tom
post #118 of 388 Old 10-22-2011, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oppo BD-93. The 3D iso's only work using the USB connection, either hard drive or iso on a thumb drive. I tried it over the Lan network but it doesn't even see iso.

Playing a 3D iso from USB is excellent. Is it just like a burned disk bluray, so that the menu generated with PD10 appears when played from the iso image?

If there is more than one .iso on the usb inserted media, can you choose between them?

Is the Oppo playing AVCHD 2.0 yet, including bluray, like the Sony Sx80 players do with TD10 files burned with PMB? Does it play these 3D files from DLNA or if placed on a flash drive without being built into an .iso?

About the iso over the lan - if this uses a DLNA server, you might need to change the file name extension of the .iso to .ts, since the server may not share all file types. That is, an iso may not sppear in the directory list of files that the server shares to the player There is a chance that if the file extension was changed to .ts, the player might then sort out that it is an .iso and not a stream file. Just an educated guess.

Richard Adams
post #119 of 388 Old 10-22-2011, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I think today I'm gonna buy this. I watched a video tutorial of how to make your own 3D template menu. I can use one of my own 3D videos as the background, then make a menu out of it which is pretty cool and what I wanted! It will also be fun to play around with.

3D items I own:

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Fujifilm W3

post #120 of 388 Old 10-22-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:

I have had only one failure of the software in my experimenting to date and that was with the valentine 3D menu which failed to author but created no error message.

Today I took my project and tried the other 3D menu (the birthday cake) that comes with PD10 and I had no trouble at all authoring it and burning the project to Blu-ray DVD so my earlier problems with the valentine 3D menu seem specific to that menu.

Tom
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page