AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Sounds nice so far....

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/po...L_Homepage&r=1

Quote:

Import All the Latest 3D Formats -- Either from files or straight from 3D cameras/phones.
Edit it All in 3D! - Enjoy a complete 3D editing workflow including 3D titles, disc menus, transition effects and more.
Output to 3D Formats -- Burn your project to industry standard 3D Blu-ray, 3D AVCHD or 3D DVD discs.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 388 Old 10-11-2011, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Nice, if this can take the JVC MVC files and create nice 3D videos I'll buy it. Anyone wanna test it? I wonder if this is better than Vegas? Reading the site, this looks amazing and can make 3D menus!

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 388 Old 10-11-2011, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
i dont see the word MVC UH OH
post #4 of 388 Old 10-11-2011, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, it can import both JVC TD1 and Sony TD10 MVC files (have tested that). And the software has also an MVC Encoder, what allows you to create real BDMV 3D Blu Rays. AVCHD 2.0 seems to be not implemented by now.

And yes, you can create simple Menüs with a real BDMV 3D Blu Ray. At the moment the software still crashes if you start with the output to harddisc or BD-R/RE. There are also some other issues - preview of the menu crashes the software. So, I think for a first version it will be great after some batches, but there is still room for improvement.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #5 of 388 Old 10-11-2011, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info wolfgang! Sounds great and I am thinking of getting it.

A few questions more, what is the quality like of the 3D after you put it on disc? Vegas lets me make a 3DBD with 1080p 24mbs can you set the quality and bit rates using Powerdirector?

Also when I make 3D movies I like to remove the audio on the files and add my own, can I do that with this software? Can I have more than one audio track and does it have 5.1?

3D items I own:

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Fujifilm W3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 388 Old 10-11-2011, 03:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Wolfgang- Did you download the free trial? If so was it fully functional? I may give this one a shot. It looks pretty impressive on the surface.

Bravia- the specs state 5.1 audio import and and renders to DTS 5.1 BluRay standard. It lists Dolby but I wonder about this because it may not be DD5.1.

I'm curious also about how good the particle effects do in 3D.

Also claims to have a 2D to 3D converter.

For JVC TD1 owners this may be the best thing to come along yet, if it works stable enough.

Don Landis
post #7 of 388 Old 10-11-2011, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree 100% Don! If this does all it claims and can handle the JVC files, this is the best thing for us JVC users!

I think later today I shall download the demo and see how it works.

Demo limits are,

Limitations
•Watermark at the beginning of produced videos (5 seconds)
•30-day working trial
•An encoding limit of 50 iPod/PSP files (follows AAC's trial guidelines)
•SmartSound Library trial version
•Limited templates
•Does not include the PhotoNow! program
•Does not include the WaveEditor program
•H.264 encode only on Windows 7 OS or specifc hardware

3D items I own:

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Fujifilm W3

post #8 of 388 Old 10-11-2011, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

buy the full delux ver,geez cheapo disk seller
post #9 of 388 Old 10-11-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

Wolfgang- Did you download the free trial? If so was it fully functional? I may give this one a shot. It looks pretty impressive on the surface.

Bravia- the specs state 5.1 audio import and and renders to DTS 5.1 BluRay standard. It lists Dolby but I wonder about this because it may not be DD5.1.

I'm curious also about how good the particle effects do in 3D.

Also claims to have a 2D to 3D converter.

For JVC TD1 owners this may be the best thing to come along yet, if it works stable enough.

Don:

The trial version is 576MBs. The full version is over 2GB. Since I had an earlier version of Power Director, I bought the upgrade version of PD10 which appears to have a full 3D BD menu for $59. It does indeed look impressive for the cost.
I hope to have some time in the next couple of days to test it.

Marty
post #10 of 388 Old 10-11-2011, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I installed build 1005. There are some fixes inside - now the 3D Blu ray buring works also with menus, the 3D preview works with nvidia 3D vision as long as your GUI is on the 120 Hz monitor.

Yes, the press release is full functional, I think the trial is fine too, beside the mentioned constrains (but I think it is the older version).

The quality in the preview looks fine - have not testet that by now on the 3D HDTV. Yes, for 3D Blu Ray you can encode to 720p and 1080p (if you are in a PAL project I assume that this will bez 720 50p and 1080 24p, if you have a NTSC project it will be 720 60p and 1080 24p). But be aware that this software is much simpler, compared with Vegas - means, that you have few settings that you can adjust, for example no data rate for the 3D Blu Ray settings.

Yes it has 5.1, even if I do not think that it is a professional 5.1 encoder as you have it with Vegas Pro and the DVDA, maybe more a studio version. But you can create 3D Blu Rays with this 5.1 encoder.

Yes, you can disabel the audio part, and there are other audio tracks that can be used for your own music.

There are two content packages in the full version, all togehter 2 GB as said.

Yes, all together it is impressive, even if it is a software not as sofisticated as Vegas is - but well, that will be fine for many people I think.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #11 of 388 Old 10-12-2011, 12:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

When rendering your timeline to a Blu-Ray standard to burn a BD-R can you just render to a 3D BD ISO file and never actually burn the disk?

Reason I ask is because I now have a way to play 3D BD iso of either Vegas renderings 1080 24P or 720 60P 5.1 audio from a hard drive stored file. This system uses the full blu ray standard in Vegas and not SBS although I can render to a SBS file too but then that requires I manually switch the monitor to 3D. This allows me to play my 3D videos in full Blu Ray Vegas quality without needing an actual disk. I have my 3D projects now all stored on a 2Tb hard drive connected by USB 2.0 and playing on a Sony 90ES 3D projector just like putting in a physical 3D blu ray disk.

Hardware compatibility-

I'm using a Q9300 quad core with 8Gb Ram 64 bit Vista with a Nvidia 8800GT video card and Vizio 32" (60 Hz 3D passive)secondary monitor. The specs say i7 processor for 3D. and you claim 120Hz monitor minimum. Do you think my older hardware will work at all or will speed be the only hit compared to their benchmarks?

Video tutorials for the editor: The 2D to 3D conversion is very impressive!

After reviewing the video tutorial on making the 3D Blu Ray disk, it doesn't appear that there is an option to save an iso file of the project but maybe it was just not shown. Regardless, one could burn a 3D BD-RE and then rip it to an iso file using one of the new 3D BluRay ripping software packs that stores in iso file format.

Don Landis
post #12 of 388 Old 10-12-2011, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No, there seems to be no possiblity to generate a 3D Blu Ray Iso at the moment - you can either burn directly to a BD-R/RE, and then generate an iso with other tools. Or you generate the BDMV-file structure, and then create an iso with other tools (I assume, that we will see tools like maybe Nero in the near future with the capabilities to do that).

I also will try to use harddisk player for playback of 3D Blu Ray isos, when available. In the meantime I will stick to 3D Blu Ray players.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #13 of 388 Old 10-12-2011, 05:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I also will try to use harddisk player for playback of 3D Blu Ray isos, when available.

I transfer the 3DBR.iso file to an external USB hard drive from my work drive in the computer, then take that USB drive and plug it into my Blu-Ray Player. It's latest firmware upgrade now permits the playback of 3DBR.iso files just like I'm putting a 3DBD in.

While the older method of burning to a BD-RE was OK, this new method without optical media is slicker and I can archive at no media cost.

Don Landis
post #14 of 388 Old 10-12-2011, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Don, which player are you using?

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #15 of 388 Old 10-12-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang S. View Post

Sounds nice so far....

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/po...L_Homepage&r=1

Thanks for sharing. Its very helpful. I will give it a try, since I am still waiting for Vegas 11.
post #16 of 388 Old 10-12-2011, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

To my opinion, it is not really a product that is a direct competitor to Vegas Pro 11. I think it addresses another customer segment - but that does not mean that it is not good!

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #17 of 388 Old 10-12-2011, 08:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Don, which player are you using?

Oppo BD-93. The 3D iso's only work using the USB connection, either hard drive or iso on a thumb drive. I tried it over the Lan network but it doesn't even see iso.

Don Landis
post #18 of 388 Old 10-12-2011, 08:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

To my opinion, it is not really a product that is a direct competitor to Vegas Pro 11. I think it addresses another customer segment - but that does not mean that it is not good!

Agreed. However, It appears to be superior to Vegas 10e in 3D capability. Vegas seems to be more robust in overall 2D editing.

I must say with my present hobby interest in 3D this is the first product to come along that I am excited about. From an amateur editing perspective, this product has quite the variety of effects. I also like how it is claiming to be compatible with New Blue plugins.

I'm rapping up a shop project today and will probably download the trial to test my hardware capability. I need to get a new video card but a few weeks out yet on money.

Don Landis
post #19 of 388 Old 10-12-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

Agreed. However, It appears to be superior to Vegas 10e in 3D capability. Vegas seems to be more robust in overall 2D editing.

I'm rapping up a shop project today and will probably download the trial to test my hardware capability. I need to get a new video card but a few weeks out yet on money.

Don:

This may be my turn to help you!

I downloaded the trial of PD10 and tried to burn a 3D Blu Ray disk. A message kept popping up that hardware acceleration was required for that process. Try as I may, I found no hardware acceleration option. At that point, I decided to invest the $59 and purchase the upgrade.

On my first effort, I was able to create a 3D video file. It appears to me, correctly or otherwise, that certain operations related to 3D may not be available in the trial version.

When I find the time, I will try to create a 3D video file and burn it to Blu Ray.
Interestingly, the 6 page introduction that comes with the purchased version suggested that if problems are encountered with burning the 3D project, try producing a video file and use a separate burning program to create the Blue Ray disk.

It seems to me that a fair amount of time may need to be devoted to exploring the capabilities of PD10, but it does look promising.

The introductory videos on the Cyberlink website show a 3D Blu Ray menu with motion preview videos for each chapter. It is difficult to tell if those previews are 3D.

It appears that PD10 is ahead of Vegas 10E regarding 3D. That may be changed in Vegas 11.

I am amazed at how quickly 3D production tools are becoming available.

As I said to you the first time I posted, this 3D stuff looks like fun.

Marty
post #20 of 388 Old 10-13-2011, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Since I opened here a thread about the brandnew Cyberlinks Powerdirector 10, especially its 3D capabilities, this thread seems to be gone. I think that is of special interest for a lot of user here - given the fact that the software can import also JVC TD1 files, and that it got also an MVC-Encoder allowing to generate 3D Blu Rays, for the first time in that price class also with menus!

Knowing how a forum software works, that means that an administrator or moderator must have either deleted the thread, or moved it to a hidden forum where we do not have access. Ok, but WHY did that happen? There was nothing strange in the discussion?

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #21 of 388 Old 10-13-2011, 03:53 AM

Quote:

Since I opened here a thread about the brandnew Cyberlinks Powerdirector 10, especially its 3D capabilities, this thread seems to be gone. I think that is of special interest for a lot of user here - given the fact that the software can import also JVC TD1 files, and that it got also an MVC-Encoder allowing to generate 3D Blu Rays, for the first time in that price class also with menus!

Knowing how a forum software works, that means that an administrator or moderator must have either deleted the thread, or moved it to a hidden forum where we do not have access. Ok, but WHY did that happen? There was nothing strange in the discussion?

Hi Wolfgang, sorry might be my fault. :-( I got this new android app of Avs, instead of quote I accidently pressed report. However the content I put in was the same as my reply. It was to thank you for sharing the info. Then after accidently pressing report, I used the quote button again.

Sorry again.

Chang
post #22 of 388 Old 10-13-2011, 04:23 AM
Advanced Member

post #23 of 388 Old 10-13-2011, 05:07 AM

As anyone tried it? Does it accept TD10 3D videos?

Please let me know. I have been looking for an affordable 3D editing software for my TD10 and FinePix W3 for a long while now.
post #24 of 388 Old 10-13-2011, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chang69 View Post

Hi Wolfgang, sorry might be my fault. :-( I got this new android app of Avs, instead of quote I accidently pressed report. However the content I put in was the same as my reply. It was to thank you for sharing the info. Then after accidently pressing report, I used the quote button again.

Sorry again.

Chang

This makes no sense at all. How can a user delete a thread????
post #25 of 388 Old 10-13-2011, 06:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Well, I heard VB the forum software does have some strange bugs but this one is the strangest one of all.

At least this thread was brief and most of us interested have learned how to google our way to the CL website. Based on more response from Wolfgang, I plan to check it out and once all of us begin editing projects with it and finding the answers we should start a user thread for that.

In the meantime there is a support forum for Power Director 10 but understand that it is quite new product upgrade especially for the 3D purpose which is designated Power Director 10 Ultra. That is the version for 3D and 64 bit OS. The Power Director 10 Deluxe is the standard version and does not do 3D or 64 bit OS. The official support forum doesn't have many threads yet but is the place to get official bug reports answered.

I have watched all the tutorial videos on it and read through all the CL sites posted bug reports. I can tell you all that it appears the Power Director 10 is from a company that has been around since '96 and this is not a new product but is a first for them for 3D. The theme seems to be less emphasis on fundamental editing and more focused on buying a base package and then selling you canned tools to embellish your video projects. Thus it gives the amateur, hobbiest a collection of editing tools to look fancy but you'll have little freedom to customize the effects. The professional editing packages are more geared to creating an individual unique look that you create from the ground up. Personally, I like to have both. I don't mind canned look for home video projects. For example, the menus for DVD come in a package of backgrounds you add your titles to. With PD10 Ultra, be prepared to buy the base product cheap and then accessorize it to get variety of art.

Don Landis
post #26 of 388 Old 10-13-2011, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I, too wondered where the thread on Cyberlink's Power Director 10 had gone to.

On the basis of reading the earlier thread (before it disappeared) I went to the Cyberlink site and read all about the program, watched the video tutorials, and decided to purchase the Ultra version of the program.

So far I have been able to confirm that Power Director 10 Ultra does definitely import MVC 3D clips from my Sony-HDR-TD10 without any problems. I actually imported the clips not from the camera (which you cannot do since it is a USB camera and Power Driector only imports from firewire cameras) but I just imported them into Power Director 10 via the file folder they were stored in by Sony's PMB program. They came right into Power Director and played fine at full frame rate in both the Preview Window of PD10 and in the full-screen Media Preview window. It is interesting that Sony Vegas Pro 10e cannot playback these files at full frame rate for long without substantially slowing down whereas this consumer level NLE program is able to do so without breaking a sweat. I am running this program on my Mac Pro under Boot Camp with Windows 7 Professional 64 bit just as I do Sony's Vegas Pro 10e.

I intend to explore the Power Director 10 Ultra program more fully in the coming days.

Tom
post #27 of 388 Old 10-13-2011, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I do not think that a user is able to delete a thread, but maybe if there is a bug in the software.... well who knows.

Given the interesst in the software, it may be worthwile to post here again some experiences with the software. Don is right, the software is not new, the earlier versions have shown an impressive track record in performance, for example to exit AVCHD footage. Brand new are the 3D capabilities. Due to my personal passion for 3D, I have tested the PD10 on my 3D system (i7 2600K, 4.2 Ghz overclocked, 16 GB Ram, nvidia 3D vision (no pro), Quadro 2000D, ssd 128 GB, 6 TB raid 5). I have not done extensive testing now, given the fact that the software was launched at the beginning of the week, but I had the opportunity to discuss my finding with the Cyberlink team, what has a strong passion to improve the performance of their software - a point that is really cool.

I think the software is a great product for the beginner segment - who is looking for a software for a more professional requirements could tend to continue to use Vegas Pro 10e or the upcoming Vegas Pro 11. But for somebody who wants to have a sound solution for the beginning, will find a nice opportunity with PD10.

Yes, the software can import both MVC-Sony TD10 files but also MVC-JVC TD1 files. That is a great point given the fact that TD1 users are still looking for a good editing solution. You can work also with other 3D formates (e.g. side by side, top bottom). What does not work as far as I have seen up to now, is that you cannot import two video streams, one with the left and one with the right video stream. Vegas 11 is able to pair two streams, I have not seen that the PD10 can do so.

You can edit 3D also with an anaglyphic preview, both with one monitor but also with a second monitor. Preview quality is fine if you set it to high resolution, anaglyphic preview has the well-known limitations in colour. You can also use a 3D graphic card with a 3D HDTV - but that is something that I have not tested. It works also with the high end solution 120 Hz monitor and nvidia 3D vision and a Quadro (you do not need a Quadro for that product), but there is one major constrain compared with Vegas Pro 10e - you will only have a full-monitor preview as long as your GUI is on the 3D monitor. So what does not work is that you put the GUI on your 2D display, and use the 3D display for the preview picture. But what you can do is to switch between the full-monitor preview and the GUI, even if I think that this is a clear limitation for 3D editing. At least with my Quadro, when switching between full-monitor 3D preview and GUI I have seen some crashes. But it works also withou that - what I like is that you see a 3D preview picture with nvidia 3D vision also in the smaller internal preview, what is not possible with Vegas for example.

A major drawback are the limited possibilities to adjust settings, e.g. for rendering. For example, you have an MVC encoder what is great since that is only the second product beside Vegas that delivers that (except high-end broadcast solutions). But if you render to MVC, you have only the choice between 720p and 1080p - but you are not able to adjust here also the framerate but also not the data rate. For the framerate I had the impression that with PAL settings it would be 720 50p, and with NTSC settings it would be 720 60p. Wrong, as far as I have seen up to now it seems to be always 720 60p - what is fine for a lot of users especially here in the States, but not great for Users in Europe. That are the points were you see differences to a product like Vegas, what will give you more freedom in what you can do.

Another issue are the MVC-files - a project with nvidia 3D vision and MVC files results sometimes in something where you see short freezes in the software, even on my high-performance system. The Cyberlink guys have been able to repro that too and look into it - maybe it can be improved in the future. So when you have an older processor be aware that this may cause your system to fall asleepe sometimes, where you may not be sure if the system has crashed or not.

Where the PD10 is unique at the moment is the capability to burn true 3D Blu Rays, based on MVC and BDMV structures - and that with easy but with menus. Even the more professional Vegas renders 3D Blu Rays from the timeline only, with some markers only but without any menus up to now. That is something that is great for the users, because true 3D authoring is something that has been available only at $-0000 upwards up to now.

So yes, I think PD10 is a software that we can recommend - but be aware the customer segment it goes for, be aware that this is different for what Vegas Pro 10 aims and Pro 11 will go for.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #28 of 388 Old 10-13-2011, 01:22 PM

Thanks a lot Wolfgang! Great Post! I will definitely give PD10 a try.
post #29 of 388 Old 10-13-2011, 02:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Wolfgang- Just PM'd you to say I will be downloading PD10 Ultra today. I think you should start a new thread for Power Director 10 Ultra for 3D users. ( be sure to put the "3D" in the title so the mods won't mistake it.

This way we can all come to one place for discussion.

BTW- in case some of you are confused, I do not plan on giving up Vegas. Just that I see enough additional stuff in PD10 that makes having and learning it a no-brainer for me and the work I'm doing today which is mostly non-commercial. One thing I want to do is develop a workflow that allows for building a project using the best of both Vegas and PD10. As I see now each has distinct advantages.

Don Landis
post #30 of 388 Old 10-13-2011, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Wolfgang: Thanks a lot for calling PowerDirector 10 to our attention and for your continuing disclosure of your experiences with it.

Don: I have no intention of ceasing to work with Vegas Pro 10 either, and I shall probably upgrade to Vegas Pro 11 when it comes out. My reasons for exploring PD10 are simple. I don't like the fact that I can't preview the timeline in real time from Vegas Pro 10. Sony says that they are using the GPU in Vegas Pro 10, but I am not so sure they are -- at least for timeline playback. PD10 specifically specifies that they are using the GPU for my nVidia GTX285 card and that may be the reason that I am getting real-time playback of MVC clips in PD10.

A second reason for my interest in PD10 is that it allows for the creation of 3D Blu-ray menus -- a feature currently missing in the Vegas Pro suite.

Finally, the cost of experimenting with PD10 is so low ($99) that it seemed worth encouraging the folks at Cyberlink by purchasing the program. I feel if we are to see other NLE's support the Sony TD10, then we are going to have to support them with our dollars.

Tom
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page