Any way to play a Disney 3D blu ray in non 3D? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 10-17-2011, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can't remember, but I was pretty sure that I turned off the 3D function when watching tangled in 3D, but I have the chance to get a 3D only copy of the Lion King for a really good price and I want to future proof myself for the future.

This my have been asked, but I didn't have any luck in my search.

I would rather not have to drop another $20 to get the full set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 10-17-2011, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andsoitgoes View Post

I can't remember, but I was pretty sure that I turned off the 3D function when watching tangled in 3D, but I have the chance to get a 3D only copy of the Lion King for a really good price and I want to future proof myself for the future.

All 3d bluray packs must have a 2d version in the box, it can come either as a separate disc or there is a version which will play in 2d included on the 3d disc.
post #3 of 27 Old 10-17-2011, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

If you have the 3d only disk it will not play in a 2d player. What Hoopy said is true also.
post #4 of 27 Old 10-17-2011, 05:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 215
It can be played in 2D, but only on a 3D player.
post #5 of 27 Old 10-17-2011, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

This is something that works, but I'm not sure if its the TV or the player doing the work. On my TV I can manually turn 3d off but I do it through my TV, not sure if my player has anything to do with it.
post #6 of 27 Old 10-17-2011, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
The answer is obvious.....rent the 2D. How many times are you going to watch it before you chisel free for a 3D display?
post #7 of 27 Old 10-17-2011, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

The Disney 3d discs have 2d playback software locked. That's why they provide the 2d-only disc in the combo packs.

If the OP bought the 3d disc only (used, for instance), they may be out of luck. The other option would be to rip the encode & remove the software lock using a pc with a blu-ray drive.
post #8 of 27 Old 10-17-2011, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

The Disney 3d discs have 2d playback software locked. That's why they provide the 2d-only disc in the combo packs.

If the OP bought the 3d disc only (used, for instance), they may be out of luck. The other option would be to rip the encode & remove the software lock using a pc with a blu-ray drive.

I wonder about this, lion king 3d when I first put it in would only play in 2d. I checked if I had the 3d disk in, then I realized I had auto 3d settings on my TV off. I hit the 3d button and it played in 3d. The point is I had a Disney 3d only disk playing in 2d on my setup. I would bet the 3d player was still sending a 3d signal but my TV can turn 3d off by only showing the left or right channel.
post #9 of 27 Old 10-17-2011, 07:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOPY View Post

All 3d bluray packs must have a 2d version in the box, it can come either as a separate disc or there is a version which will play in 2d included on the 3d disc.

Although most 3D discs include a 2D version either on the same disc or another disc, this is not a requirement. The 3D editions of Monsters vs. Aliens, Megamind and How to Train Your Dragon are 3D-only. They come with DVD discs if you want to watch in 2D, but no 2D Blu-ray in the case.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #10 of 27 Old 10-17-2011, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

The Disney 3d discs have 2d playback software locked.

Nevertheless, with a 3D player you can still output 2D from those discs. You may have to force it by turning off 3D in the display or connecting the player to a HDMI-1 device. This is a requirement in the 3D specs. IOW, there's no menu setup choice for 2D but it can still be forced. If the 3D disc is specifically mastered for 3D playback, it's not an ideal situation because you're getting just one eye's output which may have boosted white levels, brightness and color. This is one reason why Disney releases separate 2D and 3D discs, because the image is mastered differently and there's no room for both on one disc.
post #11 of 27 Old 10-17-2011, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Nevertheless, with a 3D player you can still output 2D from those discs. You may have to force it by turning off 3D in the display or connecting the player to a HDMI-1 device. This is a requirement in the 3D specs. IOW, there's no menu setup choice for 2D but it can still be forced. If the 3D disc is specifically mastered for 3D playback, it's not an ideal situation because you're getting just one eye's output which may have boosted white levels, brightness and color. This is one reason why Disney releases separate 2D and 3D discs, because the image is mastered differently and there's no room for both on one disc.

That is interesting, and while that may be good now, what about down the road when brightness and color aren't as much of an issue? Like viewing on an auto-stereoscopic display for example. It seems to me that mastering a 3D disc in this fashion might help the perceived quality of the movie using most of today's tech but not too far down the road it will make the movie look too bright and over-saturated.

As far as the original topic goes... using a computer you could remux and burn a 2D Blu-ray from the left eye m2ts files on the 3D disc. You could make an MKV. You could play the 3D disc using StereoScopic player in 2D mode. I don't even own a 3D BD player anymore, my laptop is a much more useful player, tool etc.
post #12 of 27 Old 10-17-2011, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagit811 View Post

I wonder about this, lion king 3d when I first put it in would only play in 2d. I checked if I had the 3d disk in, then I realized I had auto 3d settings on my TV off. I hit the 3d button and it played in 3d. The point is I had a Disney 3d only disk playing in 2d on my setup. I would bet the 3d player was still sending a 3d signal but my TV can turn 3d off by only showing the left or right channel.

But if he doesn't have a 3D display that won't work. I have the disk, and wanted to see if it would play on my PJ, and it wouldn't. I have a Panny 3D Bluray player, but my PJ isn't. The disk played fine on my PS3 and Vizio 3D set though.

Art
post #13 of 27 Old 10-17-2011, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

But if he doesn't have a 3D display that won't work. I have the disk, and wanted to see if it would play on my PJ, and it wouldn't. I have a Panny 3D Bluray player, but my PJ isn't. The disk played fine on my PS3 and Vizio 3D set though.

Art

I figured so, 3d only disk will only play in a 3d blu-ray player. To get 2d off a 3d only disk you have to have a 3d player and TV. Kinda defeats his plan to get the lion king 3d only disk to work on a 2d setup. When I get home I will see if it works on my ps3 and 2d TV.
post #14 of 27 Old 10-17-2011, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerCowboy View Post

That is interesting, and while that may be good now, what about down the road when brightness and color aren't as much of an issue? Like viewing on an auto-stereoscopic display for example. It seems to me that mastering a 3D disc in this fashion might help the perceived quality of the movie using most of today's tech but not too far down the road it will make the movie look too bright and over-saturated.

There are other reasons to remaster besides brightness/contrast, such as: floating windows, flat-on-scope framing, focal blur adjustment, different dnr settings , heck, even different content/edits.
post #15 of 27 Old 10-17-2011, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

I can't speak for other 3D discs, but FWIW--I was able to watch the Monsters vs. Aliens 3D promo disc that came with my Samsung 6900 3D BD player in 2D (my Samsung 3D display had not yet shipped); I was curious to see if the 6900 would output the MvA disc in 2D to my old Panny 2D plasma--sure enough, the Panny was displaying it in 2D.

Tony
post #16 of 27 Old 10-17-2011, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagit811 View Post

I figured so, 3d only disk will only play in a 3d blu-ray player. To get 2d off a 3d only disk you have to have a 3d player and TV. Kinda defeats his plan to get the lion king 3d only disk to work on a 2d setup. When I get home I will see if it works on my ps3 and 2d TV.

Just tired the 3d only disk in my 3d player to 2d tv. It doesn't work, you just get a message that your tv and/or player doesn't support 3d.
post #17 of 27 Old 10-17-2011, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

I so did not expect to see this thread get so much action
!

The reason I was asking is that I have the chance to get the 3d only disc for a reasonable price. As it's for my kids, we will watch it many many many many times

I have a 3D player and passive 3D TV now, and although I need to test it, I'm sure I was able to turn off 3D and play Tangled 3D in 2D.

However I do believe that won't be possible without a 3D TV. So I have to decide whether I feel secure enough in having a 3D display for years, or just drop the money on the full set.

Decisions decisions.
post #18 of 27 Old 10-17-2011, 05:21 PM

Liked: 44
AFAIK, the ability for a 3D BD to be backwards compatible with legacy BD players is an option, not a mandatory standard.
post #19 of 27 Old 10-17-2011, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I so did not expect to see this thread get so much action
!

The reason I was asking is that I have the chance to get the 3d only disc for a reasonable price. As it's for my kids, we will watch it many many many many times

I have a 3D player and passive 3D TV now, and although I need to test it, I'm sure I was able to turn off 3D and play Tangled 3D in 2D.

However I do believe that won't be possible without a 3D TV. So I have to decide whether I feel secure enough in having a 3D display for years, or just drop the money on the full set.

Decisions decisions.

Like I said before, remux it and burn a 2D Blu-ray. The 2D Movie should fit on a BDSL disc. This would be even better for the kids, they just put it in and it plays. Also if they break it just make another one. Since you are buying it you should be able to view it any which way you please.

Now maybe you aren't into re-muxing things and whatnot, well now is a great time to start, it isn't that hard and maybe you will use your skills for your own home movie someday.
post #20 of 27 Old 10-18-2011, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

I'll try that on my setup tonight. My passive TV does not automatically switch, so it should play in 2D, as far as the TV is concerned even if it is a 3D only disk.

Art
post #21 of 27 Old 10-18-2011, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

I'll try that on my setup tonight. My passive TV does not automatically switch, so it should play in 2D, as far as the TV is concerned even if it is a 3D only disk.

Art

If it's an LG with new firmware, it will automatically switch.
post #22 of 27 Old 10-18-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Although most 3D discs include a 2D version either on the same disc or another disc, this is not a requirement. The 3D editions of Monsters vs. Aliens, Megamind and How to Train Your Dragon are 3D-only. They come with DVD discs if you want to watch in 2D, but no 2D Blu-ray in the case.

I can't speak for MvA because I don't own it, but Megamind and HTTYD play 3D and 2D on the same disc. On the menu screen, it prompts you to choose a version.
post #23 of 27 Old 10-18-2011, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I can't speak for all 3DTVs, but most Vizios and Samsungs should have the capability built directly into the TV to watch any 3D content (blu-ray, side-by-side, top/bottom, etc) in 2D . Vizio uses the SENSIO S2D Switch to convert 3D into 2D and Samsung uses a similar process to do the same thing.
post #24 of 27 Old 10-19-2011, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by braddevil189 View Post

I can't speak for MvA because I don't own it, but Megamind and HTTYD play 3D and 2D on the same disc. On the menu screen, it prompts you to choose a version.

I'll check again, but I don't recall such an option. Are you talking about the retail version, or the original Samsung pack-in?

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #25 of 27 Old 10-24-2011, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Ignore post
post #26 of 27 Old 10-24-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

I'll check again, but I don't recall such an option. Are you talking about the retail version, or the original Samsung pack-in?

The retail versions. I bought them 3 weeks ago.
post #27 of 27 Old 08-05-2012, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 371
I can confirm that those three movies are playable on 2D-only BD player (Elite BDP-HD1, Elite BDP-23FD, Sony BDP-S760)

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page