post #361 of 564 Old 05-01-2012, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Don,

thank you for this nice test.

Your test 1 where you took two MVC-clips - did it also include color correction and 3D adjustment?

To my opinion you show that our systems seems to have two bottlenecks:

First bottleneck seems to be the hardiscs really - given your test 2 for the two paired clips and that playback drops down if you go back to your raid 0 system.

Second bottlenck is the decoder capability as shown in test 1 - since the data rate of the MVC files cannot be higher then the data rate of the paired streams. In test 1 the constrain seems to be the decoding speed, and it is a pitty that even the high-end card is not fast enough with Vegas (because it could be the GPU or the way how SCS has implemented the GPU support).

I will run some more tests with my system, even if I have an SSD only for the system drive and use my large raid 5 for the media files.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 564 Old 05-01-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 113
No, I didn't even get to adding any effects to the TD10 MVC clips. It was not able to play through a dissolve of two clips as originals.

Yes you understand correctly that the SSD SATA III PLUS the V8800 was the way to achieve my goal of real time playback of clips 23.976 FPS perfectly even with effects and dissolves. MY only way to test 23.976 fps is to use my TD10's in paired 2D mode. If I had clips from your Z10k in 24p I could run a test to see if it is the frame rate of the MVC that continues to be the bottleneck or just MVC calculations. (HINT)

I feel the next step to improve my system here is to replace my system drive with an SSD too. The reason is when I run the diagnostics utility to track bottlenecks, the one that shows up most often when a hesitation happens now, is the VegasPro v11 access during playback of the timeline. The second bottleneck reported was my AVG antivirus and I shut that down so that the only remaining bottleneck is Vegas Pro access on my C hard drive.

Before I added the V8800 I made the addition of the SSD as a basic data drive for 3D clips and all other media for my projects, including a folder for Vegas temps and veg files. This made my system perform from 8-12 FPS ( on MVC clips ) to 16-18 fps. Adding the V8800 improved that timeline to full 29.97 FPS but only for virgin clips from the TD10.

Wolfgang- Please note- my tests were not done in a scientific manner ( I do know the difference) I did my tests to achieve a goal of performance for the types of projects I plan to do. In other words, when I got success in a test I moved on in the direction that test led me. Because of this it is not valid to draw conclusions from any extrapolations of what I did. I made some observations too that indicate testing I did may not be consistent. A 3D clip that has lots of scene changes will not play as well as a clip with a lockdown shot. Since I believe the combination of hardware I now have is just borderline to achieve playback goal, any additional factors that tax the system can degrade the playback. In otherwords, I don't feel all this cost has put my system in a comfort zone of performance, rather it is just barely able to achieve satisfaction.

BTW- the other interesting observation was the Bottleneck utility showed my i7-950 @ 3.07 Ghz operating at 88% capacity for playback without the GPU and with GPU active the CPU was at 26%. Clearly the GPU was taking the load off my CPU. I think this says there is to be no advantage to upgrading the CPU until my file delivery bottleneck ( for Vegas Pro.exe) is improved. When I was at NAB, I asked an AMD engineer about what I need to do. He said the FirePro will give me what I need but I will find out that the hard drives will not feed the FirePro what it needs. So, I added the SSD for the media but I see now it needs to be added also for the system drive.

When I do add the SSD to the system for the C drive, I plan to use one that supports TRIM and no less than a SATAIII.
post #363 of 564 Old 05-01-2012, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, there are some 1080 60i files from the Z10K

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post21322030

and also some true 1080 24p files:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post21324790

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #364 of 564 Old 05-01-2012, 09:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Thanks, but I had some issues with the location and format of those files. The files are in an executable that I do not wish to access as that requires yet another application from an unknown source that gives me a malware warning. I need to get you some space on my web server for you to upload files without all the 3rd party interference that I just do not trust. Let me look into it and I'll get back to you. I'm curious about the Z10K 24p files especially. I'm sure you have the same curiosity.
post #365 of 564 Old 05-01-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Thanks for posting the test results, Don. In another thread, someone mentions that PowerDVD runs a few services that pull in ads automatically. He's deactivated their ability to communicate through Windows Firewall. I'm looking into that, too, though I don't know if they're a problem when the PDVD isn't being used, or if the network cable is pulled. It's just one more potential issue I'm thinking about after reading your results.

Later today, I'm going to try Wolfgang's clips on my new 3930 system. IIRC, I had some success with them playing smoothly in Vegas 10e a few months ago. The 3930 PC uses all SSDs, but the system drive is SATAII. All the rest are SATAIII.

Joe Clark

post #366 of 564 Old 05-01-2012, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

Thanks, but I had some issues with the location and format of those files. The files are in an executable that I do not wish to access as that requires yet another application from an unknown source that gives me a malware warning. I need to get you some space on my web server for you to upload files without all the 3rd party interference that I just do not trust. Let me look into it and I'll get back to you. I'm curious about the Z10K 24p files especially. I'm sure you have the same curiosity.

I'd prefer not to have to deal with the download process, either. Wolfgang, why don't you use Dropbox for files like that. It's much easier and more direct.

Joe Clark

post #367 of 564 Old 05-01-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Wolfgang- I set you up with upload privileges to the folder you've had access to on my server. I assigned you 500 Mb of space for uploads. If we need more I'll assign more. I've got plenty of space. I will PM you with account info for you to log in with an ftp client. I saw there were still a bunch of files in that folder that are old so I will delete them.
post #368 of 564 Old 05-01-2012, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I think I have here some interesting findings.

If you wish to optimise playback behaviour, my experience is that you have to play BOTH with the allocation of dynamic ram preview, but also if you disable/enable cuda.

In line with Don I used in a test 1 a a simple dissolve, by moving longer events togehter. In a test 2 I added following 3 filters: levels, color correction, 3D adjustment.

test 0 is the pure mvc file, so no filter but only the file.

And I modified the allocation of dynamic ram preview.

All tests were done with my i7 2600K, overclocked to 4.3 Ghz, 16 GB ram. System disk SSD, media files on my raid 5. If CUDA was enabled, I used my GTX 570.

A little bit complex, but I see here following:

1) CUDA enabled Z10K 1080 24p
- dynamic ram preview = 0 test 0: 23,976 fps test1: 21-22 fps test 2: 22 fps

- dynamic ram preview = 250 test 0: 23,976 fps test1: 22-23 fps test 2: 22 fps

- dynamic ram preview = 500 test 0: 23,976 fps test1: 14-15 fps test 2: 13 fps

- dynamic ram preview = 2000 test 0: 23,976 fps test1: 14-15 fps test 2: 13 fps

2) CUDA disabled Z10K 1080 24p
- dynamic ram preview = 0 test 0: 23,976 fps test1: 19-20 fps test 2: 9 fps

- dynamic ram preview = 250 test 0: 23,976 fps test1: 21-22 fps test 2: 13-14 fps

- dynamic ram preview = 500 test 0: 23,976 fps test1: 21-22 fps test 2: 13-14 fps

- dynamic ram preview = 2000 test 0: 23,976 fps test1: 21-23 fps test 2: 13-15 fps

Playing a little bit, I see the best results with CUDA enabled, and an internal ram preview allocation of 125. Cores are 16.

Up to now all tests was done with Panasonic Z10K 1080 24p footage. So I asked myself if that would hold also for Sony TD10 1080 50i footage:

3) CUDA enabled Sony TD10 footate
- dynamic ram preview = 125 test 0: 25,000 fps test1: 25 fps test 2: 23-24 fps

So here I see small breakdown of the fps when the cursor enters the dissolve, but it goes up again to stable 25 fps in test 1, and something slightly below the 25 fps in test 2.

Don, play with the ram preview - maybe you see a similar effect.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #369 of 564 Old 05-01-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

I use Dynamic RAM allocation of about 4Gb of my 12 Gb available to test segments of the timeline. But this has always played at full frame rate even well before my addition of the V8800 graphics card. The way I see it, the Dynamic Ram preview just takes the drive out of the equation and it eliminates the need to calculate the video on the fly but does a prerender and saves that rendered temp file to the RAM disk. The amount of ram reserved for the shift B render controls the length of the timeline that will play. The Open CL graphics card I used before with full frame rate in Ram Preview was the msi brand R6850, an AMD card. IMO, I don't consider the use of the RAM Disk prerender a valid solution, rather it is an alternative to see your editing when your system can't play from the timeline. stopping and having to wait is like editing with Final Cut, slow and annoying!
post #370 of 564 Old 05-02-2012, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, my figures show that the equation is not as simple anymore. Take a look to test 1 - how far the preview drops down if you allocate more dynamic ram then 250 MB.

Maybe - if you always use 4GB, then you are in a range where Vegas reduces the preview speed dramatically. But for sure I do not know if that is true for your system with your GPU.

Since you have said that you have not been able to get the full fps for MVC files even with a simple dissolve. Ok, here I have been able to show that you get the full fps with MVC not even with a dissolve, but also with some additional filters that you will use typically.

My tests were done with preview/full and with both the internal preview but also the full preview in 3D on my secondary display with nvidia 3D vision (conneted with my Quadro 2000D but for the previes, but CUDA was adjusted to the GTX 570 - I have both cards in my system).

To my opinion that makes a significant difference.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #371 of 564 Old 05-02-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

I see no difference in performance regardless of how much ram I reserve for the ram disk prerender. Here's how it works. If I want to review a section of the timeline I select that segment. I go into the video preview preferences and allocate 4Gb. Then I exit out and hit shiftB and the timeline selection may snap shorter to render the maximum time my reserved memory will allow and it begins to render. When done, I can play that at full frame rate and no disk is in play. If I shorten the allocation to 3Gb then hit shift B the selection will snap to a shorter period approximately 3/4 the length. I've allocated as much as 10Gb for the ram disk but the only thing the longer or shorter amounts result in is the length of time I can preview. Also, the more time I prerender the longer that rendering takes. There is never a change in the fps of the based on the amount of ram allocated. There is never a bump in the fps when a dissolve or PIP or CG comes up either as all that is already prerendered for playback. This preview prerender is lost as soon as I change the allocation or do a shift b again.
post #372 of 564 Old 05-03-2012, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Don,

I do not use the ram preview for prerendering at all!! I only adjust the figure for the dynamic ram preview - and then I playback from the timeline without prerendering. All my numbers above, where I get full playback with CUDA and a dissolve/+ effects are not prerendered.

What seems to happen is that the allocation of the dynami ram preview interfears with CUDA - at least with my nvidia card. So here it worked to reduce the number for dynamic ram preview dramatically, and then the simple playback from the timeline was fine, also for MVC.

So I would say: try to set the dynamic ram preview to zero or 125 MB or so, and have a look with mvc files how the playback runs.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #373 of 564 Old 05-03-2012, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A new Update for Vegas Pro is available.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #374 of 564 Old 05-03-2012, 06:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

I'm not sure how cuda is affected by the allocation of system memory but the open cl on the amd graphics card is unaffected. Dynamic Ram or a Vegas Pro ram disk is only activated with shift B. Then it will prerender the selection on your timeline up to the allocation size of the ram disk you specified. If you specify too much, it can greatly hamper total system performance since windows will then page to the C drive any operations that would normally happen in ram. A good rule of thumb is to set the dynamic ram to a size no bigger than 3/4 of your available ram which is specified to the right of the setting as " available ram" This is how it was explained in my class on Vegas Pro.
FWIW, I normally keep my Dynamic Ram set to 0 until I want to use it and then I estimate how much to allocate based on the length I wish to prerender. Then I do the shift B and review the timeline selection playing it over and over until I am satisfied I see what I like or don't like. Thehn make changes, but once a change is made, I must shift B to be able to see those changes in prerender on the dynamic ram disk.

While I have pretty much been always able to preview an edit in real time with dynamic ram shift B procedure using my older R6850 graphics card open CL activated, my real goal is to not have to use the time consuming prerender. My goal is to be able to just play the timeline and have the graphics card do the work and play anywhere, anytime at full resolution and full frame rate. By my tests and editing work I have done in the last couple days, I have achieved that for the paired clips in 1080 24p x 1920 even for dissolves. It's not quite there yet for TD10 clips in dissolve.

I reserved a web space folder on my server for you to upload a couple of your 1080 24p x 1920 clips as recorded with the Z10k ( MTS or m2ts ) so I could compare with the twin camera clips of the same resolution. You haven't gotten back to me as whether you are having trouble uploading. Did you get your user ID and PW I PM'd you? I was eager to see if there is a difference. I will be leaving again in the morning for another shooting project so at this point there is no rush until next week.
post #375 of 564 Old 05-03-2012, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have seen that Don, and hopefully I find some time during the weekend. Have been bussy the last days.

And frankly spoken: I do not understand why you are talking about prerendering. I am not talking about that.

And have you really tested that the playback behaviour with yout amd card is not affected by the allocation of ram preview? For nvidia that is not true at all, here I see significant differences. But I can optimize the dynamic ram preview it in a way, where I see full playback speed with my nvidia card- also for your dissolve with filters using MVC files.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #376 of 564 Old 05-04-2012, 03:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

According to the engineers at Sony the dynamic ram has no function until you use the shift B to access it. Confirm, I see no difference in just basic playback regardless of where I set the number of MB reserved. That adjusts the size of the ram disk. Something else must be going on in your system that is affecting the playback speed.

When I say prerender in these posts, I was referring to what happens when you do a shift B for a selection of the timeline. Actually all this is in the help files.

Got to run. If I get time I'll check back in tonight. Out for shooting all day and into the evening.
post #377 of 564 Old 05-04-2012, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I had a shooting here today evening, too. Was a nice concert shoot with two TD10s, and the lead had my Z10K - with a lot of technical equipment like extra lights and additional audio recording.

And what should I say: the engineers do not know their product, , or they do not state what can be reproduced in a simple way on systems with nvida card like mine - that there is a clear correlation between playback behaviour and fps.

And we know that there is an issue with the allocation of dynamic ram preview - if you allocate a significant number, Vegas Pro 11 tends to become less stable on some machines.

Check the latest update, the playback behaviour has been changed - and some user see an improvement with 1080 50p footage, for example.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #378 of 564 Old 05-04-2012, 10:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

"And we know that there is an issue with the allocation of dynamic ram preview - if you allocate a significant number, Vegas Pro 11 tends to become less stable on some machines."

I think I understand why that is true. Allocation of large amounts of ram for dynamic preview will cap the upside of ram for parts of a timeline that makes demand on it. When that happens, the windows system will revert to paging operations to the system disk. If the system disk has marginal capacity the system becomes unstable and could halt. A response will be "Vegas is not responding". I'm sure you have seen that before. Last summer I did some experiments that could consistently trigger a non responsive system based on limited ram and limited system disk capacity. I did this because so many were reporting instability with Vegas when using marginal system hardware. I tend to design my computers with a bit of engineering overkill by some standards so instability on that limitation is rare for me. When I would cap my 12 gigs of ram to only 2.5 available, I too would see frequent non responsive Vegas on playback and rendering. When I reduced available c drive free capacity to less than 150 gb I would get frequent instability.

I will update to the new build next week and see what surprises are there.

It's been a long day of family vacation style shooting. Two kids (age in their 30's) and two grand kids (ages 6 months and 3 yrs) wore us out. My wife asked me at 5pm if I got any good video. I said from a production perspective, no. She said no, I mean from a family perspective. I said I carried three cameras, left one in the car, and shot only with one all day, none of it is worth editing. So I suppose we can save it as raw footage. The kids were eager to return to the park this evening but the grand kids were cranky and grandpa, me, was spent. I fell asleep at 6 pm and just woke up. besides, I already shot and edited these performances so I didn't need any production quality shooting.

Glad your 3 camera shoot went well. Somedays I miss the excitement of broadcast TV field production with my 4 camera production van, then again, I'm glad to be away from the client demands and impossible schedules and rushing to do at the last minute. For the family, it's about them and the "pictures" are just extra. So, with that said, today was a big success. The 3 year old was in so much joy being his first time at Disney. Tomorrow will be bigger crowds and the heat will be a steamy 95 degrees F so I will take just the TD10 on a belt case and shoot mostly 3D stills with the 3D1.
post #379 of 564 Old 05-05-2012, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, your kids and grand kids will keep you at a certain stress level - stess with a positiv meaning I think. Enjoy it, I think it is worthwile. My only daugther is 16, and it is fine to spend some time with her too.

For a family shooting I tend to use only one camcorder, that can also be the easier TD10, with the Z10K a lot of people become aware that a shooting takes place. My shooting had a more professional approach since it was for a small company, but since that is not my main profession I do that for fun only.

I would be glad to visit Disney again, but more important to visit the great national parks of the States again! Even if I have to state that I love to be in Europe too.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #380 of 564 Old 05-05-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Hey, Don. I laughed today when my mom told me what a great photographer I am. I told her your story from last year - where everyone was impressed with the great shots you took at a family get together, but you didn't bother to tell them that you took 50 more that you had to throw away. I have a lot of great shots, but zillions more that are unusable for one reason or another. Thank God we're not using film, where every such "mistake" costs money. And thank God for not having to worry about deadlines.

I'm back to using Vegas as my everyday editor again. The trial of Edius 3D ended yesterday and Edius 6.5 (with 3D) won't be out until "the second half of 2012." Yikes! I've loaded all these editors onto my new system over the last couple of weeks, and I'm back to my old workflow. The Edius trial is over. I'm still having problems with the Cineform/Premier workflow, which was always flaky with my JVC converted files. But the Cineform/Vegas 11 workflow works just fine, although it's more time consuming because of having to use the large intermediate files.

One issue I'm having is that the Vegas preview is not accurate in terms of color and contrast. Clips in the preview window look washed out, as if the system is using the wrong HDMI setting. It makes color/contrast correction all but impossible. Any thoughts on why that might be? Everything else in the system looks fine.

Joe Clark

post #381 of 564 Old 05-05-2012, 09:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Joe-
I agree about the color quality on the Vegas preview window, at least it is so on my computer monitor but then I don't have that monitor calibrated so never gave it much thought. However, on my secondary monitor, the vizio, I do have calibrated and the color is quite accurate. Did you get the z10k yet? I don't recall.
post #382 of 564 Old 05-06-2012, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Joe, have you enabled in the preview settings the conversion from studio RGB to computer RGB? Without that you will see a wrong preview, if your preview unit is a computer monitor.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #383 of 564 Old 05-06-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Wolfgang,

That seems to have fixed the problem. I had a signal mismatch, but I didn't know where to change it. Mine was the other way around, though. That is, I wasn't set up for RGB on the monitor, but I was in Vegas.

Joe Clark

post #384 of 564 Old 05-06-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Don,

I haven't received the Panasonic Z10000 yet. I should get it in the next couple of weeks. It's a long story, which I'll share later.

Meanwhile, I've gotten some incredible footage over the last 3 weeks or so. Although the JVC has its weaknesses, detail and contrast are not among them. I just hope I'm not disappointed in the Panasonic's level of detail. I'm virtually certain it's going to handle color better, especially red, and if it can approach the JVC in terms of detail resolution, I'm going to be very happy.

Joe Clark

post #385 of 564 Old 05-06-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Being a 3 chip design the edge definition of the colors ( chroma ) should be much sharper leading to even better detail. The JVC's claim to fame, IMO, is it's color matrix and that you will probably be required to experiment with in the Panasonic. The good news is that you can as it has some user defined presets for just that purpose.

Its good to be home again. I reviewed my video on the Hotel rooms 46" LG monitor and every one watching was stunned by the quality I was getting with the TD10. My son-in-law has an older Canon with hard drive storage. Comparing, the TD10 was way better in color saturation. The difference is that the Canon doesn't have an x.v. color setting which the Sony does. If I turn off the X.V. Color, then the two are about equal.

I'm still having trouble with my Lilliput 7" monitor I use for remote control of the TD10. I could not get it to connect when in the crowds. I realized later that evening I had a setting wrong, again... I need to use it more often so the setup is embedded in my brain. This is the third time this system has failed me in the field. So, I ended up working the camera using the Hoodman and looking up at the TD10 5 ft over my head. By the end of the 20 minute performance my neck was so sore. The good news is the video is great! Didn't do much with the 3D1 this weekend. Maybe 20 minutes of 3D video and a dozen stills. Didn't use the NEX 5n at all.

The TD10 has about 4 hours of video to edit. I'm now trying to decide whether I should suffer through editing with the current setup of go ahead and buy a 250 Gb SSD SATA III for a system drive, with the hope to achieve the two TD 10 clips with dissolve in real time preview. Currently the only bottleneck remaining is the system drive that is a 3 Gb/sec 7200 RPM.

Now have 5 big projects to edit. 3 of them are TD10 MVC clips and two are mostly 24p clips which is no problem.

Thanks for the update on the Z10k, Joe.
post #386 of 564 Old 05-06-2012, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Don you don't have problems with rendering 1 hour long project (TD10 mts files) to Sony MVC 1920x24p format?
My computer always freeze at different part of the project.
And i'm just come back from France with a lot of footage!
thx
post #387 of 564 Old 05-06-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I keep having to stop myself from running down to a local Best Buy to pick up an open box TD10 for $500. It's been there for months and I've seen it drop from $1,100 to $1,000 to $900 to $750 and now to $500. I really, really don't need it, but it's so cheap I'm thinking about picking it up just to play with this summer, so I can do some A/B comparisons with the JVC. Next year, I could donate it to a local high school media program run by a friend. They're getting into 3D video and need a good camera. If I ever do decide to buy it, though, it'll probably be gone.

Joe Clark

post #388 of 564 Old 05-06-2012, 10:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

relaxman- I don't have any of the instability problems many do in these forums. The longest project I have rendered was a Top Bottom full in 1080 24p x 1920. For direct burn in Vegas I have done a 100 minute project rendering. I don't recall either of my computers aborting a rendering. One of them is a Vista 64 bit and the other is a Win 7 Professional 64 bit.

Suggestions that have helped others-
Be sure you reduce your dynamic ram to zero before rendering.
Be sure you have lots of free hard drive space on your system drive for temp files to be generated.
Shut down your antivirus software and pull the plug on your internet cable. Make sure you have nothing else running in the background ( Use task manager to look for stuff running that you don't need for rendering)
Expand your timeline to see if there is a gap in places where it stops rendering. I don't think this should matter but in one case the problem was reported fixed when a clip of generated black was inserted to fill the void.

Joe- as long as it wasn't dropped on floor its probably a great deal. But you be careful, if you do buy it you may fall in love with the screen. For $500 I would buy it just to have a backup. There are none in that price point around here.
post #389 of 564 Old 05-07-2012, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No problems here with rendering 3D projects 1 hour long.

I agree with Joe - I also purchased a second TD10 some days ago, and like the options that this offers:
- to shoot an event in 3D now with 3 camcorders (2x TD10, 1x Z10K) as I did that last friday

- to use two TD10s on a side-by-side rig as suggested by Don. I have paired the camcorders with a digidat controller, the Igus parts are here. Still have to test the equipment

What I did this weekend was to test the muticam-editing with Vegas Pro 11. Puhh, using 3 MVC camcorder tracks with 1080 50i (PAL) is a hard story in Vegas Pro. I was faced by a lot of instability, even if my system tends to be stable with Vegas Pro in normal editing situations. And the playback of 3 MVC files in 3D is hardcore for my i7 2600K even if overclocked to 4.3 Ghz. Here I found no settings that was satisfying really, I ended up with preview half, CUDA disabled and switched the 3D project to a 2D project. Then Vegas behaved better in terms of stability, and preview behaviour was still not fine really, but it was possible to work.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #390 of 564 Old 05-07-2012, 01:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Interesting that you guys don't have rendering problems.
We also have on another new pc, fresh win7 and vegas11 latest install.
Just copy 1 hour TD10 MTS files to the timeline with 1 sec dissolve between each. So no gap, no third party fx, or anything.
If some gap cause the problem, then the rendering should stop always at the same part of the timeline. But it's not.
Ram preview was set to 100MB, i don't think this is problem, because i have 8GB and total mem usage was only 4GB.
We have a lot of space on C and temp drives.

"the longest project I have rendered was a Top Bottom full in 1080 24p x 1920."

Yes, but our problem is with MVC rendering. Nobody render to MVC? Wolfgang?

"Shut down your antivirus software"

Really this can produce this error?

One solution was in the past to separate all the footage to L/R with the Sony app, and import to Vegas pair to 3D, etc. But this is a lot of work now:
i have around 1000 files.. And don't want to recompress the right side.
But why, when Vegas11 can handle TD10 files natively?

thx
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page