AVS Forum banner

The Official VEFXi 3D-Bee Owners' Thread

50K views 293 replies 61 participants last post by  Haisook 
#1 ·
OK - so I just got my 3D-Bee professional last week and jumped on here to report my thoughts and found no owners' thread yet.

So, here goes...

The 3D-Bee is a really nifty gadget that converts 2D input, such as your favourite 2D Bluray, or your favourite football game or car race, into some VERY impressive 3D. More on this below, but this device performed much better than I expected.

As some of you may know, my theater configuration is a dual-projector passive polarised system, so for Bluray 3D, I am using Optoma 3DXL boxes to split the signals into the left and right.

In a similar manner, my 3D Bee configuration requires a Dual-unit "Professional" version of the 3D-Bee SKU. This allows the unit to output a full 1080p60 or 1080p24 for each projector, left and right.

If you are using a regular "active" 3D TV or projector, then you would only need a single 3D-Bee device - such as their base model, the "Home", or their mid-range "Trainer" model.

The difference between these two units is that the "Home" model outputs two "flavours" of 3D style, the "innie" (Z-) style (where objects appear behind the screen), and the "outtie" (Z+) style (where objects can appear in front of the screen).

The "Trainer" model does the same 3D creation, but you can exaggerate the Z- or Z+ modes (called Z-- and Z++).

The "Home" and "Trainer" models are limited by the HDMI format, in that they can only output 3D at the bandwidths/resolutions supported in HDMI. These are 720p at 120hz (60p per eye) or 1080p60 where the frame is cut in half and shared for each eye.

To acheive true 1080p60 per eye, requires the "Pro" version that I purchased, which is actually two of the "Trainer" models, which have been preset to be the Left and the Right output.

See less See more
#52 ·
Hmm, with that way of thinking the 3D Converter at Monoprice would be just as well, just way cheaper. BTW has anyone compared it to a 3D-Bee? It also offers support for 60Hz TVs via anaglyph red/cyan.

Does the 3D-Bee do any SD to HD upscaling or noise reduction? Or just claim to have a better 2D-3D algorithm?

If the 3D Converter is indeed trash compared to the 3D-Bee, I'll give them one thing, they have a wayyy better marketing video. Watching a video stating that you are an upstart company is a lil sketchy to me, I'm unsure if I want to drop this kind of cash with a company less than a year old. Kinda scary wondering if you'll be around to warranty it. So ditch the video.

Kudos on dual projector support, so many companies ignore them.

What about things like, Dual-DVI, Displayport, Vesa-3 port or additional formats like line interleaved, checkerboard, Sensio3D?

#55 ·
I apologize rdjam if you felt offended in any way, that was not my intention. I loved your review, very thorough.

I'm just curious as to what I'd get for my money? It's obviously not additional formats or connectivity. Is there any additional processing being done to the input signal other than 2D-3D conversion?

Cyberlink has a good 2D-3D converter, do you have that to compare?

I'm also curious how the Monoprice converter stacks against the Bee, after all it is 1/3 of the price of their cheapest unit.

#57 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DNewb /forum/post/21175976

I'm also curious how the Monoprice converter stacks against the Bee, after all it is 1/3 of the price of their cheapest unit.

My gut tells me that something that inexpensive is going to be more in the league of the converters built into many 3D sets, but you never know. But just from rdjam's enthusiasm, I get the impression that there is something truly unique about the 3D-Bee's design.

#58 ·
Here's a Blog reviewing the 3D Bee, check out the comments. One guy said he has the Bee and his Samsung does better, another guy states the 3D-Bee is smoother but does not have the seperation like the monoprice. These are users opinions and so be very subjective. As anyone knows results vary significantly due to source material, hardware, software, firmware, etc.. etc...

http://lvlone.com/2011/08/08/3d-bee-...verter-review/

#61 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tack /forum/post/0

My gut tells me that something that inexpensive is going to be more in the league of the converters built into many 3D sets, but you never know. But just from rdjam's enthusiasm, I get the impression that there is something truly unique about the 3D-Bee's design.

That would be correct, Steve - the 3D from the 3D-Bee is superb. It is clear that someone who hasn't seen it may not understand what that difference might really mean on their screen, but I can highly recommend that folks interested in 3D conversion get this.

I sat with Cineramax this weekend and looked at his system, with the Terranex 3D converter and I can say the Terranex was AMAZING. The 3D was the best I have seen, but one must remember that the Terranex solution costs something like $75,000 (eek)

I've seen all the built in 3D systems out there, like the Samsungs, etc - nothing is even close to the 3D-Bee. Simple as that.

#62 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam /forum/post/21183339

That would be correct, Steve - the 3D from the 3D-Bee is superb. It is clear that someone who hasn't seen it may not understand what that difference might really mean on their screen, but I can highly recommend that folks interested in 3D conversion get this.

I sat with Cineramax this weekend and looked at his system, with the Terranex 3D converter and I can say the Terranex was AMAZING. The 3D was the best I have seen, but one must remember that the Terranex solution costs something like $75,000 (eek)

I've seen all the built in 3D systems out there, like the Samsungs, etc - nothing is even close to the 3D-Bee. Simple as that.

you seem quite knowledgeable about the 3d-bee.would you know if it will work with a samsung hlt5687s dlp 3d ready tv with the mits 3d adapter?

#64 ·
I do not have a 3D-Bee but I do have the monoprice 2D-3D converter thus far. Reading the good info on the 3D-Bee and comments it has worked well for some with console video gaming to play 2D games in 3D, I decided to try the monoprice I already had on hand with Forza 4 last night on my LG passive 3DTV. I have not tried the LG's own 2D-3D converter (I will have to give that a go as well.)

I am familiar with good 3D racing sim performance- I used Nvidia 3D Vision with an older DLP set on PC games to race in 3D and the results were fantastic. I've also used Gran Turismo 5 on the PS3 in native 3D mode on this LG set. I found with the 2D-3D on Forza w/ the monoprice, while there was a good perception of depth and 3D effect, and even less ghosting than present on the PS3 GT5 in native 3D, there was a bad scaling or other effect where the text in the game menus was very difficult to read in psudo-3D.

I also have seen similar issues w/ GT5 and native 3D. I'd say the text issue was worse on FM4 but the crosstalk/ghosting worse on GT5. Neither IMO is worth the compromise and both look better to my eyes @ 1080p non-3D (and this is coming from my perspective being a huge 3D advocate, especially w/ racing sims/games.) The juice just isn't worth the squeeze in this case.

Curious if anyone w/ the 3D-Bee can try a similar setup using an Xbox 360 and Forza 4 or another game to see how the menus/text perform when 3D is enabled?

#65 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobby /forum/post/21183477

you seem quite knowledgeable about the 3d-bee.would you know if it will work with a samsung hlt5687s dlp 3d ready tv with the mits 3d adapter?

Knobby, I think it's likely that it will. According to the spec sheet, the Mits adapter accepts side-by-side format in 1080p/24/30/60, 1080i/60 and 720p/60, which the Bee models will do. Keep in mind that the Bee only converts to 2D to side-by-side3D (and 720p/120 frame sequential in the Trainer and Pro models), and doesn't change resolution, so your source has to be at one of the resolutions listed.

BTW, I have a Bee on its way for use with one of the VIP 3D-Theater boxes. Its list of accepted resolutions in side-by-side format is similar to that of the Mits adapter, so if I can get it to work in my setup, you shouldn't have any problems.

Now, if you're planning to use an HTPC, all bets are off!

#67 ·
3dnewb said,

"I'm also curious how the Monoprice converter stacks against the Bee, after all it is 1/3 of the price of their cheapest unit."

I have both (trainer bee). Monoprice is a very good product, shockingly good for the price. Mostly I prefer the bee (might be a placebo effect based on price) but for one source (directv hd pbs news hour) the 3d from monoprice has more depth and pop than bee. Bee as you would expect does better converting blu-ray 2d movies but MP is quite good. In my setup optoma hd66/3dxl, clearglasses, mp does 3d at 60mhz whereas everything else including bee, playstation, directv, nvidiapc is 120 mhz. Might be placebo again but non 3d aspects of image such as motion smoothness, contrast and degree of HD detail from 3d converted 2d blu-rays favor the bee. MP might tie or even rarely beat the bee if the source is a close-in tv set with many depth cues but for most scenes bee has more lifelike 3d by my subjective seat of pants impression. I wish there were someone smarter than me (like a 21st century consumer reports) testing these things.

Addict that I am I have the sony 3d goggles coming and I am looking forward to repeating the comparison. Hope it builds the market for 3d conversion. I do not have any connection to 3dbee but it is a local company for which I am rooting.

OT I am also an amateur photographer and the 3d conversion of 2d photographs shown on PBS is much better than I would have thought possible.

#68 ·
Anyone using these must remember the source for 1080P out must be 1080P in. If you are inputting 1080i, it will look bad, such as a broadcast signal.

I do have to say the Kanex Pro looks sexy with all those connections. The addition of things like Automatic Up-Scaler Built-in for Scaling and supported resolutions, Image Enchancement, Noise Reduction Mechanism and support for 480i/576i/1080i as inputs. It even has line interleaved 3D output for passive glasses with polarized display.

So the question becomes, will the scaling and noise reduction reflect in the PQ? Well most likely yes, but maybe not for 1080P sources. The 3D-Bee's claim to fame seems to be their saying that they do no post processing other than conversion.

So it'd be more interesting to see this unit compared to the Bee, and see if things like Image Sharpening - Spatial adaptive ( Gradient Based), Adaptive Edge Enhancement,Bad Light Correction - Region adaptive, De-blocking- reducing compression artifacts, Filtering random noise give it a clear disadvantage when a 1080P signal is received and output. My money would be on this unit for DVD's and sub quality Blu-rays.

But for the budget minded or non-discretionary, the Monoprice seems like a safe bet as long as the input source is 480p, 720p, 1080p.

#69 ·
A feature that would be REALLY cool with the conversion boxes that have multiple inputs would be dual outputs. Those of us with HDMI 1.3 receivers could send one output to the receiver for audio, and the other could go directly to the TV.

I realize you could accomplish the same thing by adding an HDMI splitter, but that's a lot of extra power and HDMI cables to deal with.

#70 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce /forum/post/21185439

Knobby, I think it's likely that it will. According to the spec sheet, the Mits adapter accepts side-by-side format in 1080p/24/30/60, 1080i/60 and 720p/60, which the Bee models will do. Keep in mind that the Bee only converts to 2D to side-by-side3D (and 720p/120 frame sequential in the Trainer and Pro models), and doesn't change resolution, so your source has to be at one of the resolutions listed.

BTW, I have a Bee on its way for use with one of the VIP 3D-Theater boxes. Its list of accepted resolutions in side-by-side format is similar to that of the Mits adapter, so if I can get it to work in my setup, you shouldn't have any problems.

Now, if you're planning to use an HTPC, all bets are off!

thanks hope to see your review about how your bee works on your set up.we plan on using it on the xbox 360 and playstation3 and our movie collection.i was mostly concerned about it being compatible with our setup.

#71 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemav /forum/post/21184460

Curious if anyone w/ the 3D-Bee can try a similar setup using an Xbox 360 and Forza 4 or another game to see how the menus/text perform when 3D is enabled?

I have XB 360 with Forza 4 and will be trying this out next week - also have friends bringing a PS3 over.

The closest thing to video games that I use currently is watching Formula 1 via the 3D-Bee - which works perfectly. The leader board is the hardest thing to get right, but is usually perfect - only occasionally do they appear to be at different depths.

The feeling of involvement when watching the races in 3D is superb.

#72 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam /forum/post/21189055

I have XB 360 with Forza 4 and will be trying this out next week - also have friends bringing a PS3 over.

The closest thing to video games that I use currently is watching Formula 1 via the 3D-Bee - which works perfectly. The leader board is the hardest thing to get right, but is usually perfect - only occasionally do they appear to be at different depths.

The feeling of involvement when watching the races in 3D is superb.

Thanks, let me know how it turns out. I'm a huge F1 fan too BTW! Not too many of us here in the States know racing is best when it combines a no-holds barred technology exercise with a highly skilled pilot and crew (as well as both left and right turns!)

PS- you may be interested in my experimental mockup of my 3D triple screen racing sim:

#73 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemav /forum/post/21189402

Thanks, let me know how it turns out. I'm a huge F1 fan too BTW! Not too many of us here in the States know racing is best when it combines a no-holds barred technology exercise with a highly skilled pilot and crew (as well as both left and right turns!)

PS- you may be interested in my experimental mockup of my 3D triple screen racing sim:

That is absolutely killer- sweet...

All you need now is an active seat, like the Thruxim!

#74 ·

Quote:

That is outstanding!
I'll bet you would get airsick with a flight sim in your setup....

#75 ·

Quote:

There must be some sort of crossover happening here in terms of nerds that love technology. I watch F1 too.

I do know someone who has a triple screen setup for iRacing (an online PC racing sim); it sounds pretty sick.

Now a triple screen setup in 3D...? Too much? I know it's possible...

#76 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tack /forum/post/21190372

There must be some sort of crossover happening here in terms of nerds that love technology. I watch F1 too.

I do know someone who has a triple screen setup for iRacing (an online PC racing sim); it sounds pretty sick.

Now a triple screen setup in 3D...? Too much? I know it's possible...

Yep, my setup I demo'd above is in 3D. Still have a lot of work to do on it but it's pretty immersive I must say. No motion for me but I do have multiple tactile transducers which allow you to feel the road pretty well without actual motion. Anyway, sorry to take this off track, and thanks for the compliments everyone!