AVS Forum banner

The Official VEFXi 3D-Bee Owners' Thread

50K views 293 replies 61 participants last post by  Haisook 
#1 ·
OK - so I just got my 3D-Bee professional last week and jumped on here to report my thoughts and found no owners' thread yet.

So, here goes...

The 3D-Bee is a really nifty gadget that converts 2D input, such as your favourite 2D Bluray, or your favourite football game or car race, into some VERY impressive 3D. More on this below, but this device performed much better than I expected.

As some of you may know, my theater configuration is a dual-projector passive polarised system, so for Bluray 3D, I am using Optoma 3DXL boxes to split the signals into the left and right.

In a similar manner, my 3D Bee configuration requires a Dual-unit "Professional" version of the 3D-Bee SKU. This allows the unit to output a full 1080p60 or 1080p24 for each projector, left and right.

If you are using a regular "active" 3D TV or projector, then you would only need a single 3D-Bee device - such as their base model, the "Home", or their mid-range "Trainer" model.

The difference between these two units is that the "Home" model outputs two "flavours" of 3D style, the "innie" (Z-) style (where objects appear behind the screen), and the "outtie" (Z+) style (where objects can appear in front of the screen).

The "Trainer" model does the same 3D creation, but you can exaggerate the Z- or Z+ modes (called Z-- and Z++).

The "Home" and "Trainer" models are limited by the HDMI format, in that they can only output 3D at the bandwidths/resolutions supported in HDMI. These are 720p at 120hz (60p per eye) or 1080p60 where the frame is cut in half and shared for each eye.

To acheive true 1080p60 per eye, requires the "Pro" version that I purchased, which is actually two of the "Trainer" models, which have been preset to be the Left and the Right output.

See less See more
#102 ·
#103 ·
I'm guessing most of those are the same electronics already packaged in TVs and BD players, but I'm curious for any feedback from anyone that tries them.

My guess is that the 3d Bee is going to be a different level.

#104 ·
I overlooked that it stated 1. HDMI 1.4 3D format input :SBS-H,FP,TNB,output transfer to L/R frame sequential(frame by frame)

The monoprice is able to take SBS 3D files and output them as frame sequential, the 3DBee should do the same, but I do not think either will do TNB or FP. Nor will they recognize the format signals/flags present in HDMI 1.4 as far as I know.

I did notice this "Build-in 3D glass sync and L/R sync signal", which neither the Bee or Mono have.

There's a lot to be said of a well built piece of hardware that doesn't fail just of warranty due to cheap parts. I've replaced numerous capacitors that have failed prematurely in modems, power supplies and monitors that I own and those were products from mainstream manufacturers, which in most cases were rebadged.

#106 ·
Hmm, thinking about it, that is essentially like a VP3D1 or 3D-XL, but with 2D-3D conversion. (except for the passive dual PJ support that 2 3D-XLs have)

If it was quality made and handled the HDMI handshakes across it with no problem, it could be a contender as long as the conversion isn't sub par.

Of course there are warranty considerations, you'd want to purchase from someone that has support if needed.

#108 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D-Bee /forum/post/21210760

Hi sddp,

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

I think your best bet is go with the splitter option. In our demo display, the best behaving splitter solution that we have found is using a 4 to 2 matrix switch PPA model 7280E. Go to the TV department in your local electronics store and ask them for their HDMI 4 to 2 matrix switch. It has more in and out function than you need, but we connect our 2D/3D Blu-ray to one input, and then connect one of the outputs to the 3D-Bee which is then connected to a 3DTV, and the other output to a 2D monitor to show what the 2D source looks like next to the 3DTV.

By the way, when we use a 3D-Bee as a 3D source and send that through a second 3D-Bee, it bypasses 3D just fine. So it is an issue only with specific 3D sources. We use the leading HDMI chipset that was designed by one of the founding companies of HDMI.org, and they are also the leading HDMI certification testing company as well. And the bypass issue is a limitation of their chip set and the current HDMI spec when dealing with chains of devices, not something that can be upgraded today. We apologize for the inconvenience, and we will continue to use the best devices possible on future products. HDMI is maturing over time and we expect the current limitations will be solved in future generations.

Thank you for getting back to me.

So will every 3D native source coming out of the PS3 have this issue?

Is there a chance that 3D Native games on the PS3 will work fine when the 3D-bee is in BP mode?

Or is there any other software configuration in the PS3's settings that I can adjust to see 3D native source matterial with out the extra hardware?

Thanks

#109 ·
More impressions of the Bee: it's great! First, I've seen no picture degradation either in 3D or in 2D/Bypass mode. The only "artifact" I've noticed in 3D conversion was in the Blu-Ray of "Rome" Season 1 Episode 2, when Caesar was sitting at a table backlit by a window with crossbar grating. For a split second there was a white ghost image of the window grating superimposed over him. In all honesty, it may be there on the disc visible in 2D-I've only watched it in 3D so far.

I'm glad Pamela convinced me to upgrade to the Bee::trainer model, since the extra Depth modes have come in handy. In particular, on content with talking heads against a dark background (think "Band of Brothers" when the original GIs are describing what they went through), the Z-- depth setting gives a convincing sense of distance or depth from the speaker's chin to his neck. It's like you're watching a live person through a pane of glass. Most impressive.

#110 ·
Hmm, this is an interesting thread. Currently, I have an Optoma HD3300 projector and a Samsung BD D6700 Blu Ray player (dual hdmi b/c I have a 1.3 spec receiver). The player has a 2D-3D conversion which I think works pretty well. Some have noted that their TV's 2D-3D conversion is inferior to the 3D-Bee, but I wonder how it compares with the 6700? Like rdjam, I found the opening scene of Return of the King to be utterly amazing, but that was on my 6700.

At any rate, I play a lot of games and like the thought of playing my games in 3D, especially Forza 4 (still waiting to get the wheel and refuse to play it until I do).

Should I decide to take the jump and get the Bee, what would I need in order to have it connected with my PVR, XBOX 360 and PS3 so I can get 3D on all of these sources? Is this possible with a hdmi 1.3 receiver?

#111 ·
K. I checked monoprice and found a 3d capable 4x2 hdmi splitter which will work according to the monoprice tech.

My only reservation about the 3D Bee is that it seems to only output at 1080p60. Don't Blu Rays output at 1080p120? I mean, my shutter glasses would be only getting 30hz per eye with the 3D Bee? I already notice shutter flicker every once in a while at 60hz - I can't imagine how it would even be viewable at 30. And I'm not downgrading to 720p120 - I didn't buy a 1080p 3D projector to do that. If I have to buy the pro version to get 1080p120, I just don't see how it could be worth it (I would love to see it in person). I would probably stick to my Samsung player that does the conversion reasonably well.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm a newbie in this area.

Edit: I just realized the 3D Bee doesn't do frame-packed conversion.

#113 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster /forum/post/21245276

K. I checked monoprice and found a 3d capable 4x2 hdmi splitter which will work according to the monoprice tech.

My only reservation about the 3D Bee is that it seems to only output at 1080p60. Don't Blu Rays output at 1080p120? I mean, my shutter glasses would be only getting 30hz per eye with the 3D Bee? I already notice shutter flicker every once in a while at 60hz - I can't imagine how it would even be viewable at 30. And I'm not downgrading to 720p120 - I didn't buy a 1080p 3D projector to do that. If I have to buy the pro version to get 1080p120, I just don't see how it could be worth it (I would love to see it in person). I would probably stick to my Samsung player that does the conversion reasonably well.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm a newbie in this area.

Edit: I just realized the 3D Bee doesn't do frame-packed conversion.

It wouldn't be just the Pro, either. You'd need another projector of the same make and model. The Pro is essentially two Trainers set up so that one does left eye view only and one does the right eye view only, still at 60Hz. But this is per eye, not 60 Hz split into two left eye/right eye 30 Hz views as done by the Home and Trainer models.

#114 ·
I've been testing the Trainer model. When I input Blu-ray at 1080p24, I get terrible tearing artifacts through the center of the screen, separating the top half of the picture from the bottom. These recur regularly and make the content basically unwatchable. Switching my Blu-ray player to 1080p60 seems to resolve it. But I don't want to leave the Blu-ray player at 60 Hz if I don't have to.

Has anyone else had this problem?

#116 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/21269738

I've been testing the Trainer model. When I input Blu-ray at 1080p24, I get terrible tearing artifacts through the center of the screen, separating the top half of the picture from the bottom. These recur regularly and make the content basically unwatchable. Switching my Blu-ray player to 1080p60 seems to resolve it. But I don't want to leave the Blu-ray player at 60 Hz if I don't have to.

I haven't noticed it, but that may be because the picture is being scaled via an Onkyo receiver to 1080i from 720p since that's what my older display can accept. In my next viewing session, I'll make sure to set the BDP at 1080p24 and see what happens.

#117 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sddp /forum/post/21236737

Thank you for getting back to me.

So will every 3D native source coming out of the PS3 have this issue?

Is there a chance that 3D Native games on the PS3 will work fine when the 3D-bee is in BP mode?

Or is there any other software configuration in the PS3's settings that I can adjust to see 3D native source matterial with out the extra hardware?

Thanks

3D-sources which output in frame-packing format will not bypass correctly. PS3 3D-video output format is frame packing. So it will not work. You will need to use the solution suggested in the using Gefen HDMI detective.

#118 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by penone /forum/post/21272682

Very interesting product. My set up is via an htpc and i have a great number of movies on hard drives (mkv format). Can i stil utilize the 3d bee with my mkv files and my htpc?

I'm unfamiliar with htpc and mkv, but as long as you can output a 1080p, 1080i or 720p video signal on a hdmi port, you should be ok. Also note, you will have to display the output of the 3D-Bee on a 3D viewing device such as a 3D TV or a 3D projector.

#119 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheggie /forum/post/21225975

I see what you mean their are a few with HDMI 1.4

The Welland brand (I've got a hard drive case by them) have an interesting

HDMI 1.4 one. But they don't look rebadged all the cases are of different designs

layout and some use yellow/blue glasses rather than red/blue

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/47...converter.html

and a full list

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/2d-to-3d-converter.html

Some are listed at $70 to $90 USD hardly a hefty mark up sound reasonable price to me.

Many times rebadging includes a redesigned case. One good indicator of a rebranded component is the number and position of I/O ports and the power plug (if any), since these are soldered to the motherboard.

#120 ·

Quote:

Is no one else using this product at 1080p?

#121 ·

Quote:

Hi Josh, what type of player and what type of TV are you using? We're working with our engineers to see if we can reproduce what you are describing but have not been able to replicate it.

#122 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D-Bee /forum/post/21289949

Hi Josh, what type of player and what type of TV are you using? We're working with our engineers to see if we can reproduce what you are describing but have not been able to replicate it.

The Blu-ray player is an OPPO BDP-93. The tearing was seen on a Vizio E3D320VX. The TV is a 60HZ model that will accept a 24 fps input signal, but does not display at 24 fps. It applies 3:2 Pulldown to any 24 fps input.

It's possible that this tearing is occuring as a result of the 3:2 Pulldown. However, I've never experienced this on any other Blu-ray 24 fps signal, whether 2D or 3D.

#123 ·
In have one on the way to me and I will test 24hz withit. However I am in Canada so it maybe a few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/21290030

The Blu-ray player is an OPPO BDP-93. The tearing was seen on a Vizio E3D320VX. The TV is a 60HZ model that will accept a 24 fps input signal, but does not display at 24 fps. It applies 3:2 Pulldown to any 24 fps input.

It's possible that this tearing is occuring as a result of the 3:2 Pulldown. However, I've never experienced this on any other Blu-ray 24 fps signal, whether 2D or 3D.

#124 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild22 /forum/post/21292856

In have one on the way to me and I will test 24hz withit. However I am in Canada so it maybe a few weeks.

let me know how you like your set up.i live in canada also and would like to know how happy you are with the converter.i am going to order one also if the reviews are good.we have a samsung dlp 3d tv with mits converter.

#126 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam /forum/post/21297434

I use almost exclusively 24p ( Bluray) and haven't had any issue with tearing. Possible it is your display chain?

It's possible. I won't rule it out. As I mentioned, the set converts everything to 60 Hz. It's also a passive 3D model, so the vertical resolution gets halved in 3D mode. Those could contribute to the tearing, though I don't get this problem on any other source. Of course, I also don't have any other 1080p24 side-by-side 3D sources to test.

Finally tested some video games through the Bee conversion this weekend. I was pretty impressed. I compared Killzone 3 (first person shooter) and Motorstorm Apocalypse (racing) in native 3D versus 2D converted to 3D. The native 3D version of Killzone was definitely more complex and had a better sense of object layering, but the conversion was respectable. The conversion on Motorstorm was really good and damn close to the native 3D. It even got the water splashes on the "camera" effect right.