post #211 of 291 Old 04-18-2012, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvega View Post

I´m noticing that everyone´s favorite setting is the "z-"

So, do you think the "trainer" is worth the additional 100$ or the best option is the "home" model?

Hi pvega, we find that most people enjoy the Z-- setting for most movies and games, Sports are usually preferred in Z-. The triple exaggeration settings are best for projections on large screens.

We have a webpage with a bunch of 3D conversion samples you can compare the different settings against each other and even download the captured 720p and 1080p 3D converted video to display it full screen on your 3D TV or 3D-ready projector.

I hope you find this useful!

Also, be sure to stop by our booth at E3 (2692 in south hall) this year to test out our glasses-free 3D and our new model, the 3D-Bee Diamond which is targeted towards our gamers who like to adjust the 3D very specifically. The image is literally outstanding
You'll also want to stop by our booth if you edit 3D video.

Cheers,
Pamela
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 291 Old 04-18-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepsky4565 View Post

I just picked up a Trainer model on ebay for 300. I'm looking forwards to it, and my Sony 1000ES which should arrive about the same time. My kids love Cars and hope it's all great.

Aside from other obvious reasons, we strongly recommend against buying from third party/unregistered sites like eBay because you have no warranty or customer service on the product. Some people may buy our converter, open them up to see how it works and then reassemble to sell on eBay. There's no telling how it'll run after that.

Anyway, I still hope you enjoy your newly expanded 3D library!
post #213 of 291 Old 04-19-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 288
I'm curious if you'll have a future model that can convert 2D to 1080p frame-packed 3D, rather than side-by-side?

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #214 of 291 Old 04-19-2012, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
These units are made in china according tot he sticker on the bottom. I highly doubt opening them will cause any problems. It will void the warranty but I cannot see how taking it apart would break it! It is easier on them to take apart then the boat ride from china thats for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D-Bee View Post

Aside from other obvious reasons, we strongly recommend against buying from third party/unregistered sites like eBay because you have no warranty or customer service on the product. Some people may buy our converter, open them up to see how it works and then reassemble to sell on eBay. There's no telling how it'll run after that.

Anyway, I still hope you enjoy your newly expanded 3D library!

post #215 of 291 Old 04-28-2012, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
beep
post #216 of 291 Old 07-19-2012, 08:33 AM

Hi there,

I just came across this thread (very cool device by the way) and was wondering if anyone had used this to watch football aka soccer? I'm specifically thinking in terms of UK football on ESPN or FSC. Sky in the UK has 3D feed, but it hasn't made it's way over this side of the Atlantic yet.

Thanks guys

David
post #217 of 291 Old 07-19-2012, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
I keep checking in this forum for news on the new unit....surprised it doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet. Got email back on July 12 about the new 3D-Bee Diamond they are taking pre-orders on now. New processing engine....fancier options....and fancier price...... biggrin.gif

http://www.3d-bee.com/blog/3d-news-3d-bee-diamonds-arriving-the-next-gen-2d-to-3d-converters/

3D News: 3D-Bee Diamonds Arriving; The Next-Gen 2D to 3D Converters
Posted on July 9, 2012 by 3D-Bee Blogger
We’ve been receiving a good deal of pre-orders for the 3D-Bee Diamond and we are just about to receive the shipment from the factory and upon arrival fulfill those orders.

We’re very excited about our newest 2D to 3D converter product, the 3D-Bee Diamond. The 3D-Bee Diamond is suited up with our newest engine: the Hornet Depth Engine which enhances upon the previous Honeybee Engine found in the original 2D to 3D converter models; the 3D-Bee Home, 3D-Bee Platinum, and 3D-Bee Professional.

The 3D-Bee Diamond’s Hornet Depth Engine offers eleven settings of depth magnitude and eleven different settings of pop-out that can be combined in any way. This makes customizing an exact art of preference depending on the current media being watched. The 3D-Bee Diamond also comes equipped with six different pre-sets for what we think are great matches in general for the different types of media. These include, movie, movie+, gaming, sports, sports+ and pop-out.

Our 3D-Bee Platinum (formerly referred to as the 3D-Bee Trainer) has, up to now, been our hot product but we are quite expectant from customers and buyers reactions at shows like E3 2012, that the 3D-Bee Diamond is going to blow the others out of the water. Check it out today!

http://www.3d-bee.com/diamond/

3D-Bee Diamond
Realtime 2D to 3D Hardware Converter
with Complete 3D Customization Control

Preorder a
3D-Bee Diamond
Stock expected July 2012
$699.00

Six presets optimized for watching movies, sports & gaming
Advanced 3D mode includes 11 settings of depth magnitude
Advanced 3D mode includes 11 settings of video pop-out
Fastest 3D converter (1/60 of a second). Perfect for no lag gaming
Convert all live broadcast (cable/satellite) without a monthly fee
Utilize advanced 3D tools to make your own videos POP!
For 3D TVs & common 3D projectors
Four HDMI™ inputs & one HDMI output
3D-Bee Diamond
Welcome to a world where you control exactly how you want your 3D. The 3D-Bee™ Diamond allows you to play with the amount of depth and set the amount of pop-out. Viewers control their 3D viewing experience with 3D that feels natural to them. Gamers customize their 3D viewing just like they customize their avatar, exactly how they choose. The 3D-Bee Diamond is for the user who wants 3D their own way.

Customer Profile
The 3D-Bee Diamond is preferred by the technical 3D enthusiasts who are comfortable operating a wide range of controls to customize their 3D experience. This is the new best-in-class of all realtime 2D to 3D hardware converters.

Compatibility
720p or 1080p 3D TVs or 3D projectors that support side-by-side 3D format and 3D projectors that support 120Hz frame-sequential 3D format at 720p.

Download the 3D-Bee Diamond spec sheet
post #218 of 291 Old 07-25-2012, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I own the kanexpro cube up 4x1 switch. Can anyone comment on how the 3d bee compare? Is it significantly better?
post #219 of 291 Old 11-13-2012, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

The 3dbee diamond is on sale for 249.00
It seems it now passes though frame packed 3d bluray.

today only

http://www.3d-bee.com/store/
post #220 of 291 Old 11-14-2012, 11:31 AM

I just bought one today for the $249 price and am looking forward to seeing how good it is!
post #221 of 291 Old 11-25-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I missed the sale for $250, but I picked one up for $399. The sale is on through Cyber Monday.

Joe Clark

post #222 of 291 Old 11-29-2012, 04:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

My 3D-Bee Diamond is due here tomorrow. I should have a review up some time this weekend. I have to say that I don't get terribly excited anymore about a new technology, because I know more or less what to expect. Even a new projector doesn't always get my juices flowing that much, but I'm psyched about this little device. I don't know what to expect. I have a Samsung plasma that does a fair to poor job of conversion, although sometimes it surprises me with how effective it can be. My LG LM7600 passive display is better than the Samsung. So, my expectation is that the Bee will surpass both. It's exciting! biggrin.gif

Joe Clark

post #223 of 291 Old 12-02-2012, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

My 3D-Bee Diamond is due here tomorrow. I should have a review up some time this weekend. I have to say that I don't get terribly excited anymore about a new technology, because I know more or less what to expect. Even a new projector doesn't always get my juices flowing that much, but I'm psyched about this little device. I don't know what to expect. I have a Samsung plasma that does a fair to poor job of conversion, although sometimes it surprises me with how effective it can be. My LG LM7600 passive display is better than the Samsung. So, my expectation is that the Bee will surpass both. It's exciting! biggrin.gif

I am really looking forward to your review. If you say it's good then I'm ordering one.
post #224 of 291 Old 12-02-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

I am really looking forward to your review. If you say it's good then I'm ordering one.

Same here. It will be my birthday gift from the family!
post #225 of 291 Old 12-02-2012, 06:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It's been a busy weekend, guys, so this is a little later than I thought it would be.

IMO the 3D-Bee can be great, but it's real time conversion, so it can be counted on to miss the mark fairly frequently. The type of content will determine how well it performs, as well as your own personal tolerance when it doesn't quite get it right.

I did all my viewing on a Samsung D7000 plasma, 64", in side by side mode.

First the good:

The 3D-Bee creates zero artifacts that I can pick up on. The image is probably the best side by side 3D I've ever watched. If you showed me a full HD left image and then the scaled half-res left image from the 3D-Bee, I doubt I would be able to tell the difference. It looks that good. I had been concerned that a side by side image might be soft, or might show excessive MPEG artifacts, as I've experienced with other side by side videos. That fear evaporated immediately. The image looks much cleaner and more detailed than images being scaled by the Samsung with its built-in conversion.

I put in a Blu-ray disc of "Over America," a high def fly-over of much of the country, from east coast to west, Alaska to Hawaii. The approach is simple, but I've always liked it. I had planned to watch only a few clips and move on, but I ended up watching the whole thing. Practically from start to finish, the sense of depth was rich and satisfying. You'd have to have a relatively wide interaxial 3D camera to achieve the same degree of separation between trees, roads, canyons and rivers. I've only found one example of a 3D video converted by the expensive Teranex, and it was a remarkable fly-over of a river which ends in a waterfall. I didn't expect the Bee to come close to that level of performance. I was wrong. The Bee's conversion of similar 2D material looked every bit as good to me as the Teranex. I was shocked. Cityscapes were equally convincing. Looking straight down while the helicopter flies over New York or LA never disappointed. The Bee got the buildings, elevated roadways and bridges right almost without fail. And it didn't matter how much fine detail was in the scene. In fact, it seemed to make it easier for the Bee if there was tons of it. It never faltered or struggled to keep up at scene changes, like my Samsung does. It was instantaneous. My LG LM7600 passive display is closer than the Samsung in conversion performance, but it still doesn't match the Bee. (And contrast sucks on the LG anyway, so I seldom watch 3D movies on it. I use it primarily to edit 3D.)

Another positive about the Bee is that it performs well even in low light scenes that the Samsung can't handle. Even clouds can show some depth. Cities at night in "Over America" maintained accurate dimensionality.

Note that I was using the "Movie" preset for my viewing of "Over America." It's a more "subtle" setting, not too exaggerated and not too flat. Different settings on the Bee will give you very different results, but generally speaking I found the "milder" settings best for my own personal taste.

Up next, "Cars." I had watched several scenes from this film last week on the LG display with its built-in conversion. I was pleasantly surprised by how well it performed. For this title at least, it was on par with the Bee. I also have "Cars 2" in native 3D, and I wouldn't confuse either conversion for real Pixar 3D animation, but it was respectable nonetheless and added to my enjoyment of the scenes. There were, however, many more "Oh, that's not quite right" moments than in "Over America."

I've always liked the live Broadway production of "Rent." It's been a good test for my projectors, in terms of high contrast lighting and black level. The set is simple, but the Bee performed quite well with it, giving a good sense of the depth of the stage. Like all conversions I've watched, though, the Bee can be fooled easily into thinking that bright objects are closer than darker ones, even when they're not. That can be jarring, no matter which converter is causing it. The Bee gets such things wrong about as frequently as other conversions I've seen.

Then I turned to a few TV shows. I watched scenes from "Eureka," a favorite of mine. The Samsung does an OK job of "Eureka" conversions much of the time, and I think it's because the DPs built up good "layers" within many of their shots. What always disappoints with the Samsung's "Eureka" conversions, though, is the frequency of the cardboard cut out effect. Objects may be placed accurately in z-space, but a person, and especially a person's face, may look flat. That's a nasty slap in the face that pulls me right out of the story. The Bee does a better job of mitigating the "flat face" look than the Samsung conversion, although it can still intrude unless you exaggerate the depth. When you do that with the Bee, you can give form to the flat features lost completely to built-in converters. I don't know this for a fact, but it's my understanding that the Teranex has no variable depth settings at all.

Next, I dropped in MLB's Blu-ray disc of the 2011 baseball playoffs and World Series. As a native St. Louisan, baseball is in my blood. biggrin.gif This was hit or miss for me (honestly, I just now saw the pun). I tried all the settings and I favored "Game" best, but not by much. It never quite clicked for me in 3D. My brain and eyes seemed in a constant state of confusion with one another. I don't give the conversion an F here, but certainly not an A or B.

I also watched a few episodes of "Ben and Kate" from my DVR. I don't know exactly why, but this is one of my favorite new shows. This type of material was similar to baseball for me. I found it quite distracting at times, with inconsistent z-space placement of people and objects around the home. I had a hard time trying to make up my mind if I wanted to introduce more or less exaggeration to the 3D effect, but I ended up using less.

To sum up my early impressions, I don't think the 3D-Bee is going to make converts of those who don't value 2D to 3D conversion. It misses too often for that. For those of us who think conversion has its place, it's a really good performer. For me, documentaries such as "Over America" make it worth the asking price. IMO, it's definitely better than my Samsung's conversion, but the LG sometimes gets really close. Unfortunately, I couldn't do a better comparison, since my LG is in the video editing room, where I don't have access to my DVR signal.

As always, YMMV, but I like the Bee. It doesn't perform equally well for all material, and it is after all real time conversion, so it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea. Had I just watched one or two TV shows with it, I might not be as positive as I am, but I get a real sense that I'll be using it fairly often when I get hungry to see what programs might have looked like if they'd been shot in 3D.

I"m keeping it. smile.gif

Joe Clark

post #226 of 291 Old 12-03-2012, 05:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Today I created a short test Blu-ray disc with some shots I took with one of my 3D cameras. It was of the Missouri Botanical Garden, which I think is one of the most beautiful places on earth. I converted it to 2D-only for the purposes of my test. What I saw with the 3D-Bee on my Samsung plasma delighted me. Usually, material that's shot from a distance with a narrow interaxial camcorder might as well have been shot in 2D. Past 20 or 30 feet, everything flattens out dramatically. The 3D effect more or less goes away. The 3D-Bee gives much of that footage new life. I've seen these shots in 2D and their natural 3D many times, but the 3D-Bee turns many of them into a whole new kind of beautiful. What the 3D-Bee does can make some narrow-interaxial, native 3D footage look flat and lifeless. I have an accessory that extends the stereo base of my camera for distant shots, making the 3D rounder and fuller. That's great, and the best way to do it. But for shots off in the distance, captured without such a wide stereo base, the 3D conversion created by the Bee often looks significantly better than the native 3D. Remarkable!!

It's not perfect, and it works much better for some shots than others, but I have some 3D footage that I think would be improved DRAMATICALLY by converting the left-eye-only view with the 3D-Bee. I'm going to take a close look at their conversion software. It may become another important part of my 3D editing tool kit. smile.gif

Joe Clark

post #227 of 291 Old 12-03-2012, 09:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Maybe this topic has been talked about here before, but...

I just watched parts of the Redskins-Giants game with the 3D-Bee. I've never seen anything remotely like it. Using the "Sports" or Sports+" settings, the players pop right out of the turf in 3D. Players maintain their relative front to back positions, and there's a much stronger sense of being "in the game" than I've ever felt with football in 2D. I simply don't remember feeling this "immersed" in the baseball that I watched. I wonder if it's possible to "optimize" the software for football, because that's what it looks like they've done. As soon as they cut back to the studio set, things seemed to "flatten out" much more. The effect during the game was so striking that it took a bit of getting used to, but I think I love it. biggrin.gif

Joe Clark

post #228 of 291 Old 12-06-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I thought I read that the new 3D-Bee Diamond had solved the problem of not being able to pass regular Blu-ray 3D properly. That's not the case with my Samsung display, so I'm going to have to set up a switch. Bummer. Has anyone here actually had success getting 3D to pass through?

Joe Clark

post #229 of 291 Old 12-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

My diamond passes 3d bluray no problems. I tested with monsters vs aliens from my oppo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

I thought I read that the new 3D-Bee Diamond had solved the problem of not being able to pass regular Blu-ray 3D properly. That's not the case with my Samsung display, so I'm going to have to set up a switch. Bummer. Has anyone here actually had success getting 3D to pass through?
post #230 of 291 Old 12-06-2012, 02:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Hmmm. I tried Monsters vs Aliens in my Sony 570 player last night, to a Denon 1312 AVR, to a Samsung D7000 display. If it played in 3D at all, it played without red (blue and green only). But this is pretty much what I get when I try to play my JVC TD1 3D camcorder footage on the Samsung. This might be just a Samsung issue. I'll try it with my other 3D displays.

Joe Clark

post #231 of 291 Old 12-06-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
There are only two basic 2D-3D conversion algorithms: one is based on near objects being closer and then getting farther away as objects approach eye level--which is infinity for most camera shots. This gives a bending over backwards effect to the image if all objects are close--ie. if a person is standing in front of you, he will look like he's bending over backwards with feet near you and head away from you. Some cheap conversions use this and it's very annoying unless the scene includes objects that truly recede into the distance. The other is motion sensing based on the Pulfrich Effect (look it up). Objects that move left to right, or right to left are interpreted in 3D based on whether they move more than objects in the background. If 2D to 3D conversion is based on this effect, then scenes that are moving will appear near perfect 3D. Stills will be interpreted using the near/far algorithm, and so you will get a weird sensation when the images stop moving, unless the math carries over to the still image. The motion effect can still be interpreted if objects are moving in a still scene, but to less effect if there is no moving infinity reference. It's a lot of complicated math, and there are a mix of algorithms using bits and pieces of these two methods that include contrast changes as well. Just thought I'd share (and I'm no expert--just that I ran a Virtual Reality Center many years ago). Should give you some reference to what you are seeing. Current conversions like Titanic are done using a frame by frame conversion, wherein the 3D artist selects objects near and far based on known knowlege of how the images were photographed originally, and then a z reference is created (z-being depth, where x and y are the 2D references). These are then extrapolated from frame to frame into right/left eye images for a given scene. It's a painful process, especially to get that rounded look we all crave. When it's well done it looks like the Titanic, when it isn't it looks like The Last Airbender.
post #232 of 291 Old 12-06-2012, 06:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

My Epson 6010's conversion is virtually useless. It usually interprets things at the bottom of the frame as near and those at the top as far, just as you describe. My Samsung plasma does a much better job. The 3D-Bee, from what I can tell, uses a completely different technology. It can make a still photo look like a true 3D photo - not all the time, of course, but it often works amazingly well. I saw what it did with a still graphic advertising "New Girl" on Fox. The 5 or 6 characters looked like they had been shot in native 3D. The same is true for many of the static landscapes I've run through it from my camera. It consistently gets the "layering" right. It's remarkable to see trees and bushes way off into the distance maintain their correct positioning and scale, and stand out from one another. It can, however, be fooled by overly bright objects that are far away. They often appear to move considerably forward, which is disorienting. But if the lighting is relatively neutral, the effect can be remarkably realistic.

I've seen how much better the Bee conversion can be than the native 3D when I shoot things at a distance. By a cruel twist of fate, I did not have my stereo base extender attachment with me when I recorded some incredibly beautiful footage at the Missouri Botanical Garden one spring day this year. When I got the footage home, I was struck by the great color and beautiful setting, and by how flat it all looked. Past 30 feet, it was basically 2D. That's just how narrow interaxial camcorders record things without a stereo base extender (which essentially makes the lenses farther apart to give more depth when you're subject is far away). But, I'll be damned if the Bee doesn't fix that problem. Almost without exception, I'd choose the Bee conversion over the native 3D I shot that day. A stereo base extender can cause its own set of problems, but the Bee skirts most of them. I'm hoping there's some way I can end up using the Bee shots, but I'll have to work something out with VEFXi to do it. The company specifically limits the conversion to personal use.

Joe Clark

post #233 of 291 Old 12-07-2012, 01:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm getting hooked on the Bee. biggrin.gif I DVR a few shows on Thursdays, and when I sat down last night to watch I realized I'd probably prefer to watch 3D-Bee than 2D. So I watched everything in converted 3D. I think I'll buy anther Bee for my Epson 6010 projector and 110" HP screen, but I'll wait and see if they have a Christmas sale. I tempered my initial review with what I think are realistic concerns about its performance. It's certainly not perfect, but sometimes it's just plain awesome. biggrin.gif

Joe Clark

post #234 of 291 Old 12-16-2012, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

O.K. I'm interested. Is there a performance difference between the Diamond and the Platinum models? What I'm interested in doing is watching 2D BDs in simulated 3D -- assuming the simulation is good. 'll be using an Epson 6010 on a 120" HP screen.

Joe -- now you've done it! You've got my hopes up about the 3D Bee's performance. Oh no! Here I go again into another video adventure. biggrin.gif
post #235 of 291 Old 12-16-2012, 07:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The Diamond is the new tech, with more options for customizing the 3D. The Diamond is also supposed to pass Blu-ray 3D signals, which the original product (Platinum) had trouble doing. I'm experiencing some issues passing 3D with the Diamond, but that's probably just my configuration. I've had problems with my Samsung display and 3D cameras, too.

I could be wrong, but I think you'll like the Bee. If not, you can always send it back.

Joe Clark

post #236 of 291 Old 01-05-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Just ordered the 3D-Bee (diamond). I'm looking forward to trying this out.
post #237 of 291 Old 01-09-2013, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone compare the 3D-Bee Diamond with some of the other (though less expensive) stand-alone converters (Monoprice, Kanexpro CubeUp, IOGEAR 3d Complete +?) TIA.

Derek
post #238 of 291 Old 01-17-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

So far a no go for me! i've got the 3D Bee hooked up to my Epson 6010 3D projector. Oppo 93 to 3D Bee HDMI in. Source 1 out to the projector's HDMI 1 input. Power up 3D Bee and then projector and then the Oppo. I don't get the OSD menu only a "no signal HDMI 1" from the projector. I tried the same with my HD-DVD player and got nothing on the screen. Any help would be appreciated.
post #239 of 291 Old 01-17-2013, 07:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I've been using the Bee with my Samsung plasma. I'll try it with my Epson 6010 over the weekend. Have you tried connecting it to the output of your avr or other HDMI switcher?

Joe Clark

post #240 of 291 Old 01-18-2013, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I have my HD-DD player going to my avr and out to the Bee's source 2 -- I hear clicking as as the the avr tries to make the HDMI handshake, but that's it. I'll try it with my 3D Acer sometime today. Thanks for trying this with your Epson.
Reply 3D Source Components

Tags
Vefxi 3d Bee Platinum 2d To 3d Realtime Video Converter

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page