The Official VEFXi 3D-Bee Owners' Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 291 Old 10-17-2011, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
OK - so I just got my 3D-Bee professional last week and jumped on here to report my thoughts and found no owners' thread yet.

So, here goes...

The 3D-Bee is a really nifty gadget that converts 2D input, such as your favourite 2D Bluray, or your favourite football game or car race, into some VERY impressive 3D. More on this below, but this device performed much better than I expected.

As some of you may know, my theater configuration is a dual-projector passive polarised system, so for Bluray 3D, I am using Optoma 3DXL boxes to split the signals into the left and right.

In a similar manner, my 3D Bee configuration requires a Dual-unit "Professional" version of the 3D-Bee SKU. This allows the unit to output a full 1080p60 or 1080p24 for each projector, left and right.

If you are using a regular "active" 3D TV or projector, then you would only need a single 3D-Bee device - such as their base model, the "Home", or their mid-range "Trainer" model.

The difference between these two units is that the "Home" model outputs two "flavours" of 3D style, the "innie" (Z-) style (where objects appear behind the screen), and the "outtie" (Z+) style (where objects can appear in front of the screen).

The "Trainer" model does the same 3D creation, but you can exaggerate the Z- or Z+ modes (called Z-- and Z++).

The "Home" and "Trainer" models are limited by the HDMI format, in that they can only output 3D at the bandwidths/resolutions supported in HDMI. These are 720p at 120hz (60p per eye) or 1080p60 where the frame is cut in half and shared for each eye.

To acheive true 1080p60 per eye, requires the "Pro" version that I purchased, which is actually two of the "Trainer" models, which have been preset to be the Left and the Right output.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 291 Old 10-17-2011, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

So in operation...

These took about 5 minutes to unpack, and 5 minutes to insert into my display chain, between my Denon 4311CI HDMI 1.4 Amp, and my projectors.

The units come with an HDMI splitter, which is powered by the HDMI cable, and they come with 5 volt power adaptors for the 3D boxes them selves.

I did not use the HDMI splitter, as my Denon has two HDMI outputs anyway.

I spent another 10 minutes fighting with my Denon, which ALWAYS seems to play games with letting HDMI sync all the way through. It requires you to learn the particular order that a particular group of devices need to be turned on in, in order for them to successfully sync through to the playback source. The 3D-Bee got no special treatment from the Denon, but I was able to figure it out in short order.

When the units power up (a convenient front panel switch), there is a warning screen that appears by default, to which you press the "depth" button on the handy remote, to confirm acceptance.

By default, on power up, the units default to 2D mode. To enter 3D mode, you simply press the 3D button on the remote.

There is also a button of the remote to select the "Source" input. The 3D-Bee can handle 4 HDMI inputs, which I find very generous. However, in my case, all sources are selected from my Denon, so I only need used HDMI-1.

The depth button controls the "type" of 3D style you want, as well as the "depth" of the 3D impact - as mentioned above.

Finally, the fourth button on the remote is the 2D (or By-Pass) button, which, as you can guess, disables 3D and returnes you to 2D output of the source.
post #3 of 291 Old 10-17-2011, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

My initial experiences...

Blown away. This is far better than what you get from "converters" built in to a TV set you may pick up at the store.

At this early stage, by favourite mode is "Z-". This is the basic 3D style where the images all appear behind the screen, and where there is not too much exaggeration of the 3D effect.

The more exaggerated styles have not appealed to me in my early testing - but there is more to play with.

The 3D-Bee does not always get the scene right, so brighter parts of an object in the scene can be perceived as being an object closer to the viewer. In fact, this is proibably the most common error it might make, and it is not really an issue in the V- mode, but in more exaggerated modes, it's harder to overlook.

This thing ROCKS...

The first thing I did after hooking it up last night was watch my DVR'd Formula One Korean Grand Prix. I was VERY impressed with the rendition, and really found it added a lot to the race.

Let me just say, that this was probably the trickiest and most difficult content I threw at the 3D-Bee - but I did not realize it at the time, until I had run a lot of other content thru the box.

Some of the visual cues in the frames could, at times, throw the 3D-Bee off just a tad, but in very minor ways, that did not detract from the overall experience at all.

For instance, the 3D-Bee was HUGELY effective at placing all the cars in correct perspective and imparting an enourmously improved sense of scale and speed compared to the normal 2D presentation. However, in some overhead shots of the racetrack, the curved manicuring of some of the "runoff" areas would fool the 3D Bee into thinking that the runoff zone was concave, while it was indeed flat.

But so good was the 3D rendering that you could SEE that curvature very clearly in the perceived depth.

Also I NEVER noticed any 3D conversion artifacts, where it one might make mistakes in showing what was behind the left or right views it created of foreground objects. The images were always clean and smooth and perfect.

The 3D-Bee handled football even better than the racing content.

Finally, I found that what the 3D Bee was best at of all, was movies.

I watched a lot of material from Inception, Lord of the Rings, Blade Runner, Star Trek (the new remake), Saving Private Ryan, Ronin, and more. It was fantastic.

And here is a case to consider. I have always HATED the 3D conversion of Clash of the Titans. I feel it is one of the WORST 3D conversions I've ever seen - despite all the talk of how much "care" was given to it's production. All those crazy artifacts around the edges of someones hair, or coat, that seem to go back into infinity, and HORRIBLY distracting.

The Last Airbender must have been converted by the same company, because it had exactly the same major issues. If you've ever seen these two movies in 3D, then you know what I mean.

Here's the kicker - I had a friend bring over his 2D Blurays of these SAME MOVIES, and ran them through the 3D-Bee instead and HELLO! They looked way better than the 3D Bluray versions, which suffered from their source material being screwed before they were even transferred to the Bluray format.

In other words, a 3D Bluray of a NATIVE 3D film is always going to be superior to a 2D film converted by something like the 3D Bee - BUT, the 3D Bee gave me a superior conversion of a 2D film to 3D, than the crappy conversions seen in Clash and Last Airbender.

Bravo - I cannot tell you how many films in my library I now want to dig out and enjoy in 3D!

That said, if there was EVER a movie that was almost DESIGNED for 3D presentation, this has got to be Lord of the Rings. The scenes where Gandalf rides into the City of the Kings, or where the warning fires are lit, are STAGGERINGLY impressive on the 3D Bee.

I have NO IDEA how this little device manages to achieve this, especially at this price point.

At the very opening of the Lord of the Rings ROTK, in the fishing scene, the 3D is simply stunning. The lake, the trees, the boat and it's occupants, everything is in proper perspective. I'd like to say it was magic, but I suspect it is just the product of some very smart minds.
post #4 of 291 Old 10-17-2011, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

post #5 of 291 Old 10-18-2011, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

post #6 of 291 Old 10-18-2011, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

post #7 of 291 Old 10-18-2011, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

post #8 of 291 Old 10-18-2011, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

post #9 of 291 Old 10-18-2011, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

post #10 of 291 Old 10-18-2011, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Inception

Attachment 225601

Attachment 225602

Attachment 225603

Attachment 225604
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #11 of 291 Old 10-18-2011, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

post #12 of 291 Old 10-18-2011, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

post #13 of 291 Old 10-19-2011, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks cool, does it work for 3D Ready DLP projectors? I currently have an Acer H5360 but I am looking at upgrading to a 1.4a projector like the Optima HD33
post #14 of 291 Old 10-19-2011, 06:03 PM

Have you been able to play a 3D Blu Ray through it?
For some reason, I am unable to.

I have the PS3 and a Mits DLP 73" 3D ready and have the trainer model and played "Legend of the Guardians" using the 3D disc and it wouldn't play. And yes I selected the 2D/BP mode.

have you had this issue?

I am thinking something about the PS3's sending the info out when it has a
3D disc in it that the unit doesn't understand?
It goes to a very dark screen. The PS3 plays fine and can see verything in the menu when the disc is in, but when I scroll over the movie and select it, it goes blank. And only way around this is to unlpul the hdmi cable from the 3D bee and connect it directly from the PS3 to the TV.

oh and btw, AWESOME write up!

I mentioned this b4, watching the 3D version of Legend of the Guardians and then the 2D and having the 3D unit upconvert did an amazing job. So like you, my 250+ dvd/blu ray library is now all 3D
post #15 of 291 Old 10-19-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerCowboy View Post

Looks cool, does it work for 3D Ready DLP projectors? I currently have an Acer H5360 but I am looking at upgrading to a 1.4a projector like the Optima HD33

Trainer model will work with H5360 or a HDMI 1.4a projector I own a Trainer model.
post #16 of 291 Old 10-19-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sddp View Post

No you can't play 3d-bluray through it
post #17 of 291 Old 10-20-2011, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

It'll ouput standard HDMI 3D modes. For a single projector setup, you would use the 3D-Bee "home" or "trainer" (single processor box) and you would have 1080p24 frame packed, or 720p60 frame packed type output.

I haven't tested other kinds of outputs, since, with my dual projector setup, I am using two 3D Bee boxes ("Pro") to output a separate full 1080p24 for each projector.
post #18 of 291 Old 10-20-2011, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I have the PS3 and a Mits DLP 73" 3D ready and have the trainer model and played "Legend of the Guardians" using the 3D disc and it wouldn't play. And yes I selected the 2D/BP mode.

have you had this issue?

I haven't tried this. I just dropped these into a separate path to the pj's, using a switcher. In theory Bypass mode should apply to 3D content also, but it sounds like there is an issue, based on your experience. When I re-rig the setup, I'll give this a try.

Quote:

It goes to a very dark screen. The PS3 plays fine and can see verything in the menu when the disc is in, but when I scroll over the movie and select it, it goes blank. And only way around this is to unlpul the hdmi cable from the 3D bee and connect it directly from the PS3 to the TV.

Thanks!

Quote:

I mentioned this b4, watching the 3D version of Legend of the Guardians and then the 2D and having the 3D unit upconvert did an amazing job. So like you, my 250+ dvd/blu ray library is now all 3D

And this is what is so awesome about having something like this.

I watched The Matrix last night (first one) and it was just fantastic. Watching in 3D makes the picture so much more contrasty and smoother, and some of the scenes were just mind-blowingly good.

For instance, when they attacked the police station to rescue Morpheus, that whole fight scene, with the concrete flying everywhere, and then the elevator exploding outward, was great.
post #19 of 291 Old 10-20-2011, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

You'll need to wait for a firmware update to allow 3D Blu-rays to be converted to 4D. You do have a hypercube projector and HDMI 1.5j cables, right?
post #20 of 291 Old 10-20-2011, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

post #21 of 291 Old 10-20-2011, 12:06 PM

I am starting to get more interested in setting up dual projector. I wanted to do this a year ago, but the DLP/Active 720P was just so cheap, I couldn't resist. Again I am faced with the same dilemma, buy two 1080P projectors and a non-depolarizing screen or buy a cheap 1080P DLP projector and more active glasses. I am leaning toward just getting a cheap DLP again, but that pro-setup looks great, it makes me think twice.

@rdjam: do you use circular or linear polars?
post #22 of 291 Old 10-20-2011, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

have you had this issue?

Quote:

I am starting to get more interested in setting up dual projector. I wanted to do this a year ago, but the DLP/Active 720P was just so cheap, I couldn't resist. Again I am faced with the same dilemma, buy two 1080P projectors and a non-depolarizing screen or buy a cheap 1080P DLP projector and more active glasses. I am leaning toward just getting a cheap DLP again, but that pro-setup looks great, it makes me think twice.

@rdjam: do you use circular or linear polars?

I have all three formats - Circular (RealD), Linear (IMAX) and Infitec (Dolby)

Bought pj filters for each, as well as a large number of glasses - I intended to test each format fully, but got so busy, I just never found the time, and ended up just continuing to use the Linear setup, since it works fine.

However, the linear setup requires you to hold your head "just right" even 5 degrees shift can break the spell. So I'm really going to spend some time with the other two systems at some point.

But I leave again this weekend, and will be travelling for work for 10 days, so I just don't know when that will be!
post #23 of 291 Old 10-20-2011, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I have a question about the 3D-Bee Home or Trainer with a 3D projector (single projector!). I e-mailed them the question, but haven't heard back yet.

Their web site has a FAQ, and under "Will the 3D-Bee work with my 3D projector?" it says they only support side-by-side 3D with the current box:

http://3d-bee.com/support/#q11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D-Bee web site View Post

Will the 3D-Bee work with my 3D projector?

"Possibly, yes. Most 3D projectors use the 'frame sequential' 3D mode and not side-by-side, but if your projector does accept a side-by-side 3D input then the 3D Bee converter will work great with your 3D projector. We plan to release a box in the future that uses the frame sequential 3D format."

I'm not fully up to speed on 3D formats (and don't even have a 3D projector yet), but I was under the impression that side-by-side 3D is generally done at half horizontal resolution. Is that what the 3D-Bee Home/Trainer supports?

Assuming I do get a 3D set, would I be better of waiting for the frame sequential box for full resolution, or is this just a format thing?
post #24 of 291 Old 10-20-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

I have all three formats - Circular (RealD), Linear (IMAX) and Infitec (Dolby)

Bought pj filters for each, as well as a large number of glasses - I intended to test each format fully, but got so busy, I just never found the time, and ended up just continuing to use the Linear setup, since it works fine.

However, the linear setup requires you to hold your head "just right" even 5 degrees shift can break the spell. So I'm really going to spend some time with the other two systems at some point.

But I leave again this weekend, and will be travelling for work for 10 days, so I just don't know when that will be!

It is my understanding that linear polars have much better extinction than circular. I have experienced both circle and Dolby in the theater. I like Dolby the best, but it is a problem for home users due to the color shift. It can be software corrected but it is a pain. I was thinking I'd go with linear and just sit up straight.
post #25 of 291 Old 10-20-2011, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

It is my understanding that linear polars have much better extinction than circular. I have experienced both circle and Dolby in the theater. I like Dolby the best, but it is a problem for home users due to the color shift. It can be software corrected but it is a pain. I was thinking I'd go with linear and just sit up straight.

Yep - linear does have better extinction than circular, but holding your head just right is a pain, literally, as I have a broken neck...

So I'll be playing with the others sooner or later...
post #26 of 291 Old 10-21-2011, 07:34 AM

Hi RDjam, I followed you in the 3dxl rollout, I am considering the 3d bee. I currently have a Optoma hd66 and a 3dxl, which version of the bee would work with my setup? In your opinion is the 3d bee and a 2d disk better then a 3d disk? Thanks for all the information you provide on this site.
post #27 of 291 Old 10-21-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheggie View Post

No you can't play 3d-bluray through it

as i understand there will be a new trainer coming soon to be able to play 3d from a 3d play next year
post #28 of 291 Old 10-21-2011, 09:14 AM

the 3D trainer is one of the best 3D iv ever seen. this doesnt even compare to the 3D that is built in the tv with the converter. when watching football on 3D ESPN i can watch better football on sunday ticket or the red zone, and movies are great with the
3D-bee this is the best iv ever seen and your right i can now watch Black Rain on 3D lol. one of my all time favorits.
post #29 of 291 Old 10-21-2011, 04:26 PM

Liked: 16
@rdjam - Wow, u just got the 3D-Bee a few days ago and your positive comments are already quoted on their website. Do u have any affiliation with the company? Not suggesting anything, just asking...
post #30 of 291 Old 10-21-2011, 09:36 PM

got a question - with the magnified settings of the 3D Bee Trainer and Professional and close up sitting, do these sometimes create some of the same "crater effect" seen with other 2D to 3D processors? for instance when watching some YouTube videos of a person in a suit and white shirt, the shirt can look like its quite a bit back from the plane of the suit plus the shirt can shift left to right in an amusing and exaggerated way when viewed on an inexpensive processor. (I've only seen the Home's Z- and Z+ settings at this point)

its amazing we get such good performance on the fly vs lengthy & costly studio conversions.
Reply 3D Source Components

Tags
Vefxi 3d Bee Platinum 2d To 3d Realtime Video Converter

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page