3D laptop that is compatible with DLP-link 3D glasses? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-08-2011, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I already own a DLP-Link 3D projector and compatible glasses. I am now looking for a laptop that will produce a 3D display that is compatible with these glasses, so I don't have to buy yet more!

The way DLP-Link (active shutter) 3D technology works is the projector/screen flashes white for a split-second between frames for the left and right eye. The DLP-Link 3D glasses sync with this flash.

More specifically, my question is: is there a laptop out there that can produce this same style 3D output with white flashes, that my glasses can sync with?

I've noticed that one of the more popular PC active shutter 3D technologies is NVIDIA 3D Vision, which works slightly differently: The PC outputs a video signal with no white flashes; instead a separate IR signal is sent with which the glasses sync. Can NVIDIA 3D vision compatible graphics cards also produce a signal with 'DLP-Link style' white flashes?

Or AMD?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Russ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-08-2011, 09:10 AM
GEP
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
The flashes are produced by the projector while in the 3D processing mode. Not by the PC. It is part of the special DLP Chip image processing files that are unique to the projector or TV and thus not in any PC image processing file. As long as your projector is 3D ready and the PC can supply a compatible 3D signal, your projector will add the flash automatically when you turn on the 3D mode in the projector.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-08-2011, 10:36 AM

Liked: 11
Just make sure it has one of these mobile GPUs in it if you are going nvidia.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-pl...uirements.html

As far ad AMD graphics go, I am not as sure, I don't really follow them any more.
post #4 of 8 Old 12-08-2011, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both for your replies so far.

I should have been more clear:

I want to use the glasses to view the laptop screen in 3D. I.e. I want the laptop screen to output the 'white flashes'. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
post #5 of 8 Old 12-08-2011, 02:54 PM
GEP
Advanced Member

DLP Link is a DLP property and a technology by Texas Instruments the inventor of DLP. Even if it is possible to insert the flash between each eye views on a LCD or LED LCD screen, the technique is most likely patented by TI and would be restricted to DLP only. Keep in mind the flash is between the two eye views and has an extremely short persistence. This short persistence most likely is too fast for current LCD and Plasma technology. Keep in mind the switching speed of the DLP mirrors is 1000 times faster than the switching speeds of LCD or Plasma.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-10-2011, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Aaaaah that's made it much clearer.

Doesn't look like it's possible then, but thanks for your help GEP - very useful!
post #7 of 8 Old 12-10-2011, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Actually one more question:

Do DLP laptop screens exist? I know DLP tv sets exist
post #8 of 8 Old 12-14-2011, 06:19 PM
GEP
Advanced Member

At the current time DLP is a projection technology. Not a direct view technology. Plasma and LCD are direct view, flat panel technologies. DLP was originally designed for digital movie theaters and then developed for large screen home TVs and video projectors.

A DLP TV is a rear projection TV currently offered in sizes of 73", 75", 82" and 92". In the past the smallest DLP I have heard about was 42" and there were 46", 50", 52", 55", 57", 60", 62", 65", 67" and 72" sizes by different manufacturers. It is not like the LCD and LED-LCD screen in your laptop.
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page