3DTV not detecting 3D signal from PC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 12-31-2011, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum - I signed up because you guys really seem to know a lot and I was hoping you could help me out.

I'm trying to stream 3D SBS mkv content from my laptop to my Vizio 3d tv. Here are my specs:

TV: 46" Vizio Passive 3D HDTV - model M3D460SR
Laptop: Dell Inspiron 14R with Intel HD 3000 graphics
HDMI Cable: AmazonBasics High Speed 3D capable cable

When I connect my Laptop to the TV, the tv does not detect a 3D signal. I can play 3D streams from Vudu on my TV, but when I tried playing a 3D SBS demo file from my laptop, the TV does not recognize it as 3D so the TV screen just looks the same as the laptop screen (two images; one on the left side, one on the right). What's wrong?

Please help. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 12-31-2011, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Set your TV manually to SbS and see if that works. Vizio is not great at auto detection.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #3 of 35 Old 12-31-2011, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your quick reply.

I pressed the 3D button on the Vizio remote but nothing happens. When I press the 3D button while watching Vudu streams, the 3D menu pops up. Unfortunately, the 3D menu is what allows me to manually select SBS. I called Vizio tech support about this but they said the menu won't be accessible unless it detects 3D content.

Do you know any way besides the 3D menu to force the TV to use SBS?

Thanks again.
post #4 of 35 Old 12-31-2011, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Don't have a VIZIO but there should be a way by going through the setup menu rather than hitting the 3D button.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #5 of 35 Old 12-31-2011, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Nope, just tried to access the 3D menu from the HDTV settings menu but the option is just not available. It's a little strange that the only way for me to manually turn on 3D mode is if the tv automatically detects a 3D signal. Even the TV's instruction manual says the 3D menu needs to be accessed to turn on SBS.

The tech support guy had said that the problem is on the computer side - the Intel website says the HD 3000 is capable of 3D output but do I need some special driver or software to make it 3D?
post #6 of 35 Old 01-04-2012, 06:29 AM

On my Samsung, it only supports 3D on one of the HDMI ports. Not sure about ur system.

ASUS Formula III Rampage MB
Intel I7 960 CPU ATI 5850
12GB RAM 58TB Storage
Windows 7 Ultra 64 Bit
Arcsoft TMT5, Ceton Infinity4
Onkyo 5008 to Samsung HL67A750
post #7 of 35 Old 01-05-2012, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your help guys, but I was able to figure out what I was doing wrong thanks to user gt1434a on this forum! I'll post what was wrong so that other users can benefit from it!

When you connect the computer to the Vizio TV, if you press the info button on your remote, a box pops up in the upper right hand corner of the TV. If it says "1920x1080", the 3D menu is not available on the TV. If it says "1080p", the 3D menu is available.

My TV was saying 1920x1080 so I started playing with the settings. It turns out, I had my laptop monitor set as the primary display, and the TV screen was just a copy of my laptop screen. When I selected the TV as the primary output in my video card settings with my laptop screen being blank, the top right corner of the TV said 1080p. When I pressed the 3D button on the remote, the menu popped up!

I am so happy that everything works now! Thanks to gt1434a, and thanks to both of you guys for helping me! You guys are awesome!
post #8 of 35 Old 02-02-2012, 08:52 PM

im having the same problem as previously stated and when i put the tv in 1920*1080 where it says 1080p i can enable the 3d menu but it doesnt ask me what type of 3d to enable. Im trying to enable side by side but it just says 3d or 2d and side by side doesnt work when i put it in 3d mode.

any help?
post #9 of 35 Old 03-08-2012, 02:06 PM

I am having the same problem, even when setting the TV as the main screen. With the TV as the main display, my resolution is 1920x1080 and not 1080p. I am connected via VGA, but when I run 3d videos through Youtube as interleaved, the 3d works. When I open up a SBS mkv file, I cannot get the 3d option to open so that I can choose SBS. Is there anything that I can do differently? My laptop is not HDMI compatible.
post #10 of 35 Old 07-15-2012, 04:03 PM

Hello all!
I am having the same issue with my new Vizio 3d TV. I have an NVIDIA Gefore GTX 560Ti Graphics card connected with an HDMI cable to the HDMI1 slot on the Television. When playing a SBS 3d movie clicking the 3d button on the remote has no effect. I am also unable to manually select 3d under options. I tried lowering the screen resolution and as is posted above I only get an option for 2d/3d without being able to select SBS. When I select info on the remote it displays the 1920 x1080 noted by the original poster but I have not found a way to change it to only 1080. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am finding this extremely frustrating. So far I love the TV and this has been its only issue. The television is a 55 inch M series. I even purchased this graphics card so that I could connect directly from mini HDMI to HDMI.
post #11 of 35 Old 09-18-2012, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anyone found a solid solution on this? I am thinking of getting a Vizio 47" 3D tv and will be relying on 3D SBS MKV playback. One thing I don't see mentioned is, are your guy's HTPC's equipped with 1.4a hdmi? Mine is, between that and having Total Media Theater, it should be fine right? Or since it's passive do you use something else to play and let the TV combine them?

I currently have a 3D projetor with 1.4a and active 3d, and when I play a SBS movie in TMT5 , it blur's it, and the emitter sends a signal to the glasses, and it's perfect. If I can get my PC/Software to do this flawlessly as it is, would I achiever the same effect on the vizio? or would the vizio get confused on the signal being put out by the pc and not recognize it as 3d at all?
post #12 of 35 Old 11-08-2012, 07:42 PM

Same problem. I got the tv to see 1920x1080 but it doesn't say 1080p.

Any fix?
post #13 of 35 Old 11-09-2012, 08:09 AM

I had the same issue with not being able access the Vizio's 3D menu because HDMI input signal was not 1080p.

My setup :
Samsung Series 7 laptop
Vizio M3D470KD

I was finally able to get the HDMI to transmit 1080p signal by stepping down the refresh rate. By default my laptop went into 1920x1080@56Hz . Changing this to 1920x1080@24Hz immediately caused the TV to switch into 1080p mode and made the 3D menu accessible. After that you can play SBS 3D as described on any of the many howto pages by selecting SBS in 3D menu.

Hope this helps.
post #14 of 35 Old 11-15-2012, 09:41 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Genin View Post

I had the same issue with not being able access the Vizio's 3D menu because HDMI input signal was not 1080p.
My setup :
Samsung Series 7 laptop
Vizio M3D470KD
I was finally able to get the HDMI to transmit 1080p signal by stepping down the refresh rate. By default my laptop went into 1920x1080@56Hz . Changing this to 1920x1080@24Hz immediately caused the TV to switch into 1080p mode and made the 3D menu accessible. After that you can play SBS 3D as described on any of the many howto pages by selecting SBS in 3D menu.
Hope this helps.

What software player are you using?

Ray
post #15 of 35 Old 11-16-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:

My setup :
Samsung Series 7 laptop
Vizio M3D470KD
Hope this helps.

Dan - besides your PC, have you had luck displaying 3D from a cable/satellite box on your M3D470KD? I am trying to get my Directv HR22-100 to work with this LED. I happen to push my signal through my Sony Surround Sound system (STR-KS370) and question if this is the problem. Maybe I should go directly out of the HR22-100 @1080P/24Hz into the M3D470KD. Your thoughts?

HR44-200 (Genie) via HDMI to Vizio 47" M3D470KD LED, HR22-100 via HDMI to Sylvania 26" LCD, H23-600 via HDMI to Insignia 19" LCD, Sony Blu-ray BDP-S550, Sony STR-KS370, Directv Whole-Home DVR.
post #16 of 35 Old 11-16-2012, 07:04 PM

I used Stereoscopic Player (http://www.3dtv.at/Index_en.aspx). I think it was somewhat easier to configure for side-by-side video than VLC, although VLC is not too bad either. I was also able to play YouTube clips through Chrome in 3D, e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqvPd0kZG6Q, by choosing side-by-side in the YouTube video interface 3D menu.

It seems that side-by-side 3D requires no special capabilities from the player. The TV automatically takes one half of the screen as left image and the other as right and combines them to produce 3D, so the player has to only display the two images side by side in 2D, which is a trivial task. That was a bit long-winded but I hope it makes sense.
post #17 of 35 Old 11-16-2012, 07:09 PM

Souvaman, I don't have any experience with cable or other inputs, nor with feeding the signal through the surround system. However, if I understand correctly the surround system probably only operates with the sound part of the signal. I would imagine that the video should pass straight through.

What do you get when you try to watch 3D? It could also be that the 3D video signal you are getting from cable is not in side-by-side but in some other mode. Try playing around with the Vizio's 3D menu options.
post #18 of 35 Old 11-17-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:

Souvaman, I don't have any experience with cable or other inputs, nor with feeding the signal through the surround system. However, if I understand correctly the surround system probably only operates with the sound part of the signal. I would imagine that the video should pass straight through.
What do you get when you try to watch 3D? It could also be that the 3D video signal you are getting from cable is not in side-by-side but in some other mode. Try playing around with the Vizio's 3D menu options.

When I bypass the Sony AV system and feed the Vizio directly from my Directv HR22-100, it works great. Apparently my AV system is filtering the HDMI signal. Oh well, at least I know my new LED flat panel works ok. Time to start playing around with the Stereoscopic software you posted. Thanks for the tip!

HR44-200 (Genie) via HDMI to Vizio 47" M3D470KD LED, HR22-100 via HDMI to Sylvania 26" LCD, H23-600 via HDMI to Insignia 19" LCD, Sony Blu-ray BDP-S550, Sony STR-KS370, Directv Whole-Home DVR.
post #19 of 35 Old 11-17-2012, 09:33 AM

So I started wondering if there might be a setting in the Sony AV system you are using that affects how the HDMI signal is transformed. I came across this in the manual for the component :

"When the connected component is not compatible with copyright protection technology (HDCP), the image and/or the sound from the HDMI OUT jack may be distorted or may not be output. In this case, check the specification of the connected component."

The manual also mentions that 1080p HD signal may be distorted if the HDMI cable is not Sony approved, but that's probably just a marketing ploy.
post #20 of 35 Old 11-18-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:

I used Stereoscopic Player (http://www.3dtv.at/Index_en.aspx). I think it was somewhat easier to configure for side-by-side video than VLC, although VLC is not too bad either. I was also able to play YouTube clips through Chrome in 3D, e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqvPd0kZG6Q, by choosing side-by-side in the YouTube video interface 3D menu.
It seems that side-by-side 3D requires no special capabilities from the player. The TV automatically takes one half of the screen as left image and the other as right and combines them to produce 3D, so the player has to only display the two images side by side in 2D, which is a trivial task. That was a bit long-winded but I hope it makes sense.

Thank you. If it were not for your success story, I may have given up. I purchased PowerDVD12 from CyberLink several months ago but could not get it to work.
http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdvd/features_en_US.html?&r=1

The problem was that I had two monitors connected, one was the Vizio and the other was a Haier, not 3d. When I disconnected the Haier I got 3D. However the Vizio did not recognize the 3D automatically. In the software, I set source format to "side by side" and 3D display setting to "HDMI 1.4 enabled 3DTV (108024 Hz)".

One thing to note about PowerDVD 12. 3D is not operational in the free trial version.
Dan Genin likes this.

Ray
post #21 of 35 Old 01-25-2013, 06:22 AM

Thanks njuser346. I too had the same issue and your resolution solved the issue.
I had 3D content on my laptop and connected my laptop to my LG 3D TV through HDMI. But my laptop was not sending out 3D signals to my TV. The 3D option on the TV was disabled for some reasons. I first bought a new HDMI cable that would support 3D but it did not make any difference. Then I was not sure if I needed a software on my laptop to play 3D movies. I downloaded the latest VLC player and that also did not help me. I then installed PowerDVD with 3D support but didnt help. I also checked if my graphics card on my laptop supports 3D and it absolutely did.
In order to test the TV, I copied the 3D content to a USB harddrive and plugged in the drive directly to the USB port of the TV. At this time, the TV was able to play the 3D.
But I was still wondering why my laptop was not sending out 3D signals. These are the two things I did and it started playing 3D on my TV.
1. Set my TV as the single primary output. Laptop screen will display nothing.
2. Changed the resolution on my laptop to the max (I think 1920x1080@60hz). Remember though I change the resolution on my laptop, it is going to reflect on my TV because TV is set to be the primary output. The screen was little bit stretched out, so I adjusted the aspect ratio to correctly fit to my TV.

Now when I hit the "info" button on my TV remote, I was able to see 1080p. And also when I hit the 3D button on my TV remote, I was able to see all the options enabled.
Now I don't need a special software to play 3D movies. A standard VLC player is good-enough as long as you have a 3D content (mostly SBS - side-by-side).
post #22 of 35 Old 05-17-2013, 04:48 AM

Good day all, sorry for resurrecting this thread, but this issue has me frustrated.

Im having the same issue with my Vizio E3D470VX. Thing is, it was working fine before, but two days ago i came home and the TV was saying it successfully updated. Since then i know longer have the 1080p and just the 1920x1080 coming up on the television. i power cycled, updated video card drivers and everything and its driving me nuts.. Any advice? Running windows 7 64 with an ati 6950 card.
Quote:

My setup :
Samsung Series 7 laptop
Vizio M3D470KD

Hope this helps.
post #23 of 35 Old 05-17-2013, 05:41 PM

I just spent 45 minutes with their customer support, the problem is the firmware update changed the way the tv senses the resolution from the computer, the first tech I spoke with basically said "the 3d works from other sources so its your computer" a told me there was nothing they could do. His supervisor spoke to their tech reps and basically said the same, I was finally able to convince them I knew what the hell I was talking about and the the problem was the firmware update run Monday at 11:33pm because Monday afternoon I was watching a SBS 3D movie from my PC and now can't watch the same movie. They're sending a tech out next Friday not that I think there is anything they can do, but maybe if it starts costing them money they'll fix it in the next firmware update
Guru Photos likes this.
post #24 of 35 Old 05-18-2013, 10:06 PM

I have the same problem. What brand of TV do you have? MIne is a LG
post #25 of 35 Old 05-23-2013, 08:09 AM

Ok i dont know if this will help anyone but i might have figured out away to play mkv files.... after the firmware update the 3d stopped working like everyone else. I downloaded the steroscopic player

http://www.3dtv.at/Index_en.aspx

its a trial might have to purchase it...

then in the settings go to the following.
This is for vizio tvs not sure of others

Question:
How do I setup the Stereoscopic Player for 3D ready LCD or plasma TVs?

Answer:
All LCD and plasma 3DTVs support the squeezed side-by-side format. Select View|Viewing Method|Side-by-Side, Left Image First and View|Aspect Ratio|Half Width. Make sure the View|Center Views option is checked. After opening the video, switch to full screen mode.

Some 3DTVs support the interlaced (View|Viewing Method|Row Interlaced, Left Line Top) or the checkerboard pattern format (View|Viewing Method|3D Ready DLP-TV) as well. These formats are superior to the side-by-side format because the Windows desktop remains useable in 3D mode and the Stereoscopic Player can be used in windowed mode, not only fullscreen mode.

I did the view - method- row interlaced left line top.. and now i have 3d

smile.gif
hope it helps
post #26 of 35 Old 06-02-2013, 09:24 AM

Ziggy I've been going crazy trying to figure this out, I'm glad you've discovered the root of the problem! Please keep us updated, was the tech able to do anything for you? For now I'm having to resort to my PS3 to display my 3D content which only work with about half of my movies. It's pretty ridiculous they would push out a firmware update without fully testing it first.
post #27 of 35 Old 06-06-2013, 10:12 AM

hey guys i found a solution for our problems while vizio solves it, i installed ubuntu on my computer and when i connect it to my tv, it shoes the 1080p on screen, and allows to activate the 3d option, the problem is with windows... juest install ubunt with a 20GB partition or something like that and enjoy your movies!!!
post #28 of 35 Old 06-08-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy49 View Post

I just spent 45 minutes with their customer support, the problem is the firmware update changed the way the tv senses the resolution from the computer, the first tech I spoke with basically said "the 3d works from other sources so its your computer" a told me there was nothing they could do. His supervisor spoke to their tech reps and basically said the same, I was finally able to convince them I knew what the hell I was talking about and the the problem was the firmware update run Monday at 11:33pm because Monday afternoon I was watching a SBS 3D movie from my PC and now can't watch the same movie. They're sending a tech out next Friday not that I think there is anything they can do, but maybe if it starts costing them money they'll fix it in the next firmware update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pownz View Post

Ziggy I've been going crazy trying to figure this out, I'm glad you've discovered the root of the problem! Please keep us updated, was the tech able to do anything for you? For now I'm having to resort to my PS3 to display my 3D content which only work with about half of my movies. It's pretty ridiculous they would push out a firmware update without fully testing it first.

Any updates? I've tried so many things, changing my refresh rates etc. buying new cables.. grrrr. Vizio should have all its updates aviavle for us to download and install so we can roll back
post #29 of 35 Old 06-10-2013, 02:15 AM

Okay finally, after some hair pulling, it works. Lets hope it stays so.

Running windows 7x64, ATI 6950

So i have a dell u2711 and the vizio 3d tv attached to my pc. The dell via DP, and of course the TV via hdmi.
When i restarted the PC the other night, i noticed that the TV was getting a 1080p signal right until windows came up with the login screen, so confirming that it def was a windows issue.
Disconnecting the Dell, set TV primary, changed the refresh rate, rebooted nothing.
Uninstalled the ati drivers, rebooted, nothing.
Ran driver-fusion ( the upgrade for drive sweeper) it found a crap load of files, deleted all, ran MSI cleaner util and made sure nothing ati was left on my system.
rebooted, boom, 1080p, 3d button working merrily. Windows sluggish as hell tho, cause its using some vga save driver. Reinstalled the newest manufacture drivers (not the news ati ones(, restarted and it still worked! connected back the dell, switched it to main, hit that 3D button and it came up biggrin.gif

TL, DR - In summary, make sure and absolutely clean all old drivers off your system and bring it back from scratch. it may be necessary for an newer driver to be the culprit. Not feelig to experiment with upgrading drivers at the moment.
post #30 of 35 Old 07-03-2013, 05:05 PM

MAN OH MAN.
I'm so glad I found this thread.

I have been fighting the VISIO 3D TV issue for a while now.
And like others it worked fine from my PC via HDMI until there was a firmware update; not worked sense.
I had VISIO support on the phone for over a half hour; no help. Said I had it installed incorrectly. I said it worked fine until the recent firmware update.
They basically pointed the blame at me. Made me furious but I hung up before I started taking it out to the "support chick" on the other end.

I purchased this 32" E3D320VX JUST FOR PC gaming in 3D and it has been GREAT until the firmware update.
My system is a Win7 64bit AMD FX 8 core with a AMD Radeon HD7870; basically a 3D powerhouse at 1080p resolution.

I will try totally wiping the video driver and reloading and see what happens.

Thanks

EDIT:
Well I went the route of uninstalling and reinstalling my video drivers using a driver sweeper to no avail.
When the PC boots, the ID shows 1080p until it completely boots to windows than then it changes to 1920x1080.
3D is greyed out in the menu. No matter what setting I choose I cannot get it to change.
Tried different HDMI cable and switching ports, etc.
Still NO 3D.

As far as I am concerning Vizio BROKE my TV with that last firmware update. mad.gif
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page