post #31 of 141 Old 01-19-2012, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

For more- see my PM to you Richard. This goes well beyond OPPO. We will all be looking to buy blank media instead.

Even though optical media is clunkier to use than hard drive, the cost situation has finally reversed since bd-r blanks are more economical today than hard drives, per GB. Plus, they offer EMP protection.

I wonder if Sony somehow made it flood in Maylasia (this made hard drive prices escalate 2 to 5 times higher).

"With Liberty, HDTV and Justice for all."
Richard Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 141 Old 01-19-2012, 11:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 145
By my costs, its now almost equal. $230 for 3TB. about the same for 3TB of BD-RE in bulk. But since I can't index them in a menu, I'd have to shelve and print them, and box them, which now adds another $1 per 25Gb. So, burning media is still quite a bit more expensive and not nearly as easy. I used BD-RE because HD is reusable and so is BD-RE. Can't erase the printing though. So using BD-R once the is an advantage in some cost saving if I can get them for a buck each.
post #33 of 141 Old 01-19-2012, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

By my costs, its now almost equal. $230 for 3TB. about the same for 3TB of BD-RE in bulk. But since I can't index them in a menu, I'd have to shelve and print them, and box them, which now adds another $1 per 25Gb. So, burning media is still quite a bit more expensive and not nearly as easy. I used BD-RE because HD is reusable and so is BD-RE. Can't erase the printing though. So using BD-R once the is an advantage in some cost saving if I can get them for a buck each.

It changed a bit since last week since I got 25 BD-R for $18.40 (with tax), but this week its 50 pieces for $40. I don't use BD-RE, and was comparing only BD-R. How successful are BD-RE for you?

Richard Adams
post #34 of 141 Old 01-21-2012, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itou31 View Post

I would like to purchase one of these box to replace my multimedia PC for playing 3D iso from Sony Vegas and Full TB or Full SBS.
I know that XDS1003D and XDS73D can do that. (edit : not sure for Full TB or Full SBS)
but Himedia HD900A is cheaper and has more firmware support.
Could "emporer" test for full TB or Full SBS support ?
thanks

Playing Half TB or Half SBS is is identical to playing 2D from the standpoint of what goes on in the player; each of these is simply a 1920x1080 2D stream for the player. It is the monitor that converts these half formats to 3D within the display.

I'm not yet aware of any monitors that will play and convert full TB (1920x2160), or full SBS (3840x1080) to 3D onto their display. Because of this, in order to display these 3D formats, the media player would have to re-pack the video into a frame packed format, potentially retaining the full 1920x1080 signal for each eye. A player could also convert these signals to half frame and output a 2D 1920x1080 signal, that is then converted to 3D onto the monitor display.

From what I've read, none of the realtek 1186 based players are doing either of what is described in the prior paragraph, so full TB and full SBS are not yet supported. These players are supposed to decode the MVC-3D that is present on bluray disks, and they do that.

The full 3D TB and SBS are not MVC.

Although the current firmware in these realtek 1186 based players doesn't do these, since the chipset is advertised as being capable of support 4K processing of HD, I believe that the firmware could be updated to support full TB and SBS.

It is possible to generate samples of files with Full TB and Full SBS 3D from non-copyrighted user generated 3D camcorder material, using Sony Vegas to produce these formats. If someone like Don has a sample of these that I could share with the Realtek 1186, for sample / testing purposes, I will submit the samples to Realtek in that hope that they support playback of these formats with a firmware update.

Richard Adams
post #35 of 141 Old 01-21-2012, 06:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Adams View Post

It changed a bit since last week since I got 25 BD-R for $18.40 (with tax), but this week its 50 pieces for $40. I don't use BD-RE, and was comparing only BD-R. How successful are BD-RE for you?

Before figuring out how to create iso's and play them in stereoscopic player from Power Director, I burned BD-RE for all my temp renders until the project was complete, then burned the BD-R. They worked great for about 50-60 cycles and then would just fail. Not sure why. But with 50-60 cycles, they sure saved me a lot of money. Now I only use them for times when I want to test a render on my big screen in the home theater. I only own 3 disks and the last time I bought a 25 pack of BD-R was last September.

Nice we have so many options to play our projects. BD-R is still the most expensive in my opinion.
post #36 of 141 Old 01-21-2012, 07:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Richard- You are right in your statement that FULL SBS or TB does not display however there are tricks to fool the monitor into doing so using pixel aspect ratio in players like stereoscopic player. For the most part, I see FULL TB or SBS as an intermediate transfer render setting to move my timeline edit from Vegas Pro to Power Director for BD-R authoring. This Full TB or SBS mode is not for playback or display. It's just a way to transport all the resolution to another software tool. And, FYI- I don't use that codec to embed audio either. I render the 6 channels of sound separate as analog wav files for mux in Power Director using their DTS codec.
I see no purpose in using SBS or TB FULL as a display mode since the Vegas codecs don't allow full audio embedded anyway. Best to stick with frame packed for display.
post #37 of 141 Old 01-21-2012, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Richard- You are right in your statement that FULL SBS or TB does not display however there are tricks to fool the monitor into doing so using pixel aspect ratio in players like stereoscopic player. For the most part, I see FULL TB or SBS as an intermediate transfer render setting to move my timeline edit from Vegas Pro to Power Director for BD-R authoring. This Full TB or SBS mode is not for playback or display. It's just a way to transport all the resolution to another software tool. And, FYI- I don't use that codec to embed audio either. I render the 6 channels of sound separate as analog wav files for mux in Power Director using their DTS codec.
I see no purpose in using SBS or TB FULL as a display mode since the Vegas codecs don't allow full audio embedded anyway. Best to stick with frame packed for display.

Yes, frame packed is the output of the player to the monitor, though the best file format to store 3D is MVC. However, not everyone is doing that right now, and yet need a way to display it.

Terminology and file formats

"Frame packed" is content moving through the HDMI cable. Files are not "frame packed"

File formats for 3D players:

(A) MVC - Uses H264 for one eye, and adds special coding imbedded in the stream for the 2nd eye. The result plays in 2D on older non-3D players

(B) Full SBS, Full TB, LR separate files - various file formats in use, and with more than one type of codec in use. Today these are played back using PC and software.

(C) Half SBS, Half TB - processed by the player as if it were 2D, converted into 3D within the monitor.

(D) AVCHD 2.0 - really uses (A), but the content is in 1080i60-3D format which is not included in the original bluray-3D spec.

Point is that there are people using (B) above that would like to directly play these to their monitor. The player has to convert (B) to a frame packed or Half SBS signal that is compatible with the monitor for this to happen.

Although Don has perfected a 3D editing process flow that uses (B) as an intermediate format, others are using this as a storage format, and need a way to play it to their monitors. The Realtek 1186 boxes should included this in their capabilities to better cover the 3D formats that are in use today.

The only sample files I have heard of so far that have (B) including audio have copyright issues, making them unsuitable for me to distribute as samples to firmware engineers.

Don or others, since Vegas doesn't allow Full SBS / TB with embedded audio, can you please do me a favor and devise a flow to convert the small (100mb) file from my TD10 camcorder, at the following link below, to separate sample files from this list of formats: 1) Full TB, 2) Full SBS 3) Separate L R, each with AC3 audio track unchanged, and / or with DTS 5.1 soundtrack? This would result in samples that I can distribute without content copyright issues. http://st7.us/mvc-sample0011.mts

Richard Adams
post #38 of 141 Old 01-21-2012, 01:32 PM

Does the HiMedia, or any of the other boxes, play 3D BD from folder structure (not iso)?
post #39 of 141 Old 01-21-2012, 04:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Richard- Do you not have Vegas Pro v11? You can create the TB and SBS FULL files in Vegas Pro. The audio is first rendered to PCM 5.1 file and imported to Power Director. The DTS is only encoded to a BD file structure or using DVDFab, can be compacted into an ISO file after rendering in Power Director.
post #40 of 141 Old 01-21-2012, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Richard- Do you not have Vegas Pro v11? You can create the TB and SBS FULL files in Vegas Pro. The audio is first rendered to PCM 5.1 file and imported to Power Director. The DTS is only encoded to a BD file structure or using DVDFab, can be compacted into an ISO file after rendering in Power Director.

I occasionally have access to SVP11 and PD10 on an associate's workstation, and have tested the flow you wrote about, when it started with edited 1080i60-3D input through to getting 1080p24 BD-R with menu and the MVC files on them. That standard bluray MVC output isn't the samples I need.

Can you please check if the samples are something you know how to generate on your workstation?

Richard Adams
post #41 of 141 Old 01-23-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Richard- The short clip of your kids at the table appears to be a corrupted file. It will load into Vegas Pro but crashes my system. Then I looked closer and I see that it is an improper match of audio to video as they are different lengths. I'm going to attempt to rebuild the file and import it into Vegas the way it should have been done but I make no promises. I'm trying to import it back into one of my TD-10's that is currently empty and reindex it for proper export. Hopefully that will fix what the problem is. The file does play in Vegas 3D, it just won't render and the audio is slightly out of sync which is typical for a clip that was not properly imported.
post #42 of 141 Old 01-23-2012, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Is Realteck 1186 still the only chip currently out that can play 3d bd iso? well, besides the marvell chip that kaiboer, oppo, and asus players use. Looks like Sigma is coming some time in 2012 but porbably not till 3q and the Dune being most anticipated and shown at CES but apparenlty they are getting impatient with Sigma delay and maybe look for a new chip. Syabas nmt with Sigma 8910 should be interesting when that ever happens.

Meantime I'd think Oppo (with marvell chip?) is as good or better then that realtek 1186 chip and its players?

So if realteck 1186 based players is really the only other option right now, what is currently the best player using this?

Still the HiMedia 900, because its most supported?
post #43 of 141 Old 01-24-2012, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Richard- The short clip of your kids at the table appears to be a corrupted file. It will load into Vegas Pro but crashes my system. Then I looked closer and I see that it is an improper match of audio to video as they are different lengths. I'm going to attempt to rebuild the file and import it into Vegas the way it should have been done but I make no promises. I'm trying to import it back into one of my TD-10's that is currently empty and reindex it for proper export. Hopefully that will fix what the problem is. The file does play in Vegas 3D, it just won't render and the audio is slightly out of sync which is typical for a clip that was not properly imported.

Correct, I imported that improperly before I knew better (with windows mass storage mode), and I trimmed it with a ts cutter. Should have used PMB. I'm thinking you can fix it. As an AVCHD 2.0 sample, it should still be playable on a robust media player. Only 2 are my kids. I will look to see if I have a pmb imported version saved away on the WD backup drive.

Richard Adams
post #44 of 141 Old 01-24-2012, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatre View Post

Is Realteck 1186 still the only chip currently out that can play 3d bd iso? well, besides the marvell chip that kaiboer, oppo, and asus players use. Looks like Sigma is coming some time in 2012 but porbably not till 3q and the Dune being most anticipated and shown at CES but apparenlty they are getting impatient with Sigma delay and maybe look for a new chip. Syabas nmt with Sigma 8910 should be interesting when that ever happens.

Meantime I'd thin realteck 1186 is as good or better then that realtek chip and its players.

So if realteck 1186 based players is really the only other option right now, what is currently the best player using this?

Still the HiMedia 900, because its most supported?

I read that the HiMedia 900 has been out the longest, and there is good support from a UK vendor's forum.

I also read that these boxes can use firmware of another brand of the 1186 players. This would seem to make them equivalent as far as capability, if true.

With equal firmwarel, when it comes to "best player," I also think about reliability and quality components, for which there is currently very little data, except that it was said that several brands use the exact same innards, though the cooling and ventilation of the case may be different from brand to brand.

Although I started this thread, I don't have one yet, though will likely make a my first purchase of one soon.

Richard Adams
post #45 of 141 Old 01-24-2012, 07:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Adams View Post

Correct, I imported that improperly before I knew better (with windows mass storage mode), and I trimmed it with a ts cutter. Should have used PMB. I'm thinking you can fix it. As an AVCHD 2.0 sample, it should still be playable on a robust media player. Only 2 are my kids. I will look to see if I have a pmb imported version saved away on the WD backup drive.

Yes, more specifically, it crashes at 99% when rendering to TB Full. I could not export it back to the int, memory in the TD10. It's there but will not play. I gave up messing with it. I'm not sure what the point of all this was. Back to my own projects.

Suggestion- If you use the TD10 often, get Vegas Pro v11. If you need to do BD with menus, add PD10 Ultra. The two are a very powerful toolbox for just about anything you need to do in project completion. I have one more tool, DVDFab which will generate the ISO package if you plan to have projects with full menus and want to serve them from a box like the Realtek 1186 devices. Obviously, if you're not into editing and project creation all these tools are a waste of money.
post #46 of 141 Old 01-24-2012, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, more specifically, it crashes at 99% when rendering to TB Full. I could not export it back to the int, memory in the TD10. It's there but will not play. I gave up messing with it. I'm not sure what the point of all this was. Back to my own projects.

Suggestion- If you use the TD10 often, get Vegas Pro v11. If you need to do BD with menus, add PD10 Ultra. The two are a very powerful toolbox for just about anything you need to do in project completion. I have one more tool, DVDFab which will generate the ISO package if you plan to have projects with full menus and want to serve them from a box like the Realtek 1186 devices. Obviously, if you're not into editing and project creation all these tools are a waste of money.

Here's a re-do of the same clip, where the original 3D-camcorder video was imported from the TD10 using Sony PMB. I trimmed it to approximately the same length as the prior one, using Sony PMB. Sony process all the way this time.

Below here is a link to get that revised file.

Does it help Vegas to not crash for this project?

http://st7.us/pmb-trim-20110605171445.m2ts

Richard Adams
post #47 of 141 Old 01-25-2012, 01:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Richard-

That was much better. Rendered in 2 minutes to TB Full. I turned on a stereo mix down audio file ( 5.1 DD isn't an option for main concept codec here which is why the separate analog audio render in my work flow for DTS) for your convenience.

Your test file is at:
http://www.tv-shopper.com/RA/

(case sensitive folder)

Should be fully uploaded in 15 minutes
post #48 of 141 Old 01-25-2012, 08:57 AM

After reading the entire thread on the HiMedia player, it sounds like the majority of users aren't too happy with it. It seems the firmware is still quite buggy, there are problems recognizing hard drives, etc. It's probably better to wait for a more mature product.
post #49 of 141 Old 01-26-2012, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaNaix View Post

Does the HiMedia, or any of the other boxes, play 3D BD from folder structure (not iso)?

Good question, interested in same.
post #50 of 141 Old 01-26-2012, 11:41 AM

It apparently does play BD from folder structure but I'd recommend reading the HiMedia thread before purchasing one. There seem to be a lot of bugs and quirks with it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1367468
post #51 of 141 Old 02-01-2012, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaNaix View Post

After reading the entire thread on the HiMedia player, it sounds like the majority of users aren't too happy with it. It seems the firmware is still quite buggy, there are problems recognizing hard drives, etc. It's probably better to wait for a more mature product.

If we dont want to wait indefinitely though, it seems that as of right now a realtek 1186 based player is the best bet (as there isnt' much else really) and the Realtek seems to have the most support and owners including some custom fw with yamj made by a few technically inclined users.
post #52 of 141 Old 02-02-2012, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member

(Note: I initially posted this in the HiMedia 900b thread but now seemed more appropriate here where its about all Realtek 1186 based players)

I like the sound of the Xtreamer Prodigy better I think based on what I've read. I think someone mentioned here that yamj does work on the Xtreamer Prodigy but not sure and woujld haev to check their forums more. I did see their customer service is terrible and their forums even delete anything bad about them so I dont think they are the best company per se but as far as between the Xtreamer Prodigy vs. the HiMedia900B, the Xtreamer Prodigy seems a little bit better and I like some of the accessories and the 3.5" hdd drive bay in the front as I saw someone mod a HiMedia 900 to have somethign similar but made it wider.

I did see that an Xtreamer Ultra 2 is coming next month (Xtreamer Ultra is basically an HTPC) and this is the new version of it and it comes with XBMC pre installed so takes a lot of the work out of htpc setup. But review i saw on amazon of the first Ultra still said there was extra expenses and headache/install with it and not something I want to deal with especially in secondary room though an htpc in main room eventually would be good as long as it dint' give me more work and aggravation that i dont have time for.

Might be some nice extra features with the Ultra2 next month but it is more and like I said probablhy more work though I really would love xbmc.

I think I'm holding off for now but for the room and current need, either or any of these Realtek 1186 based players would be fine but I'm kind of leaning towards the Xtreamer Prodigy over the Hi Media900

I know this is the HiMedia 900b thread and all but maybe we can get a comparo.

If you look at the bottom of the page for the Prodigy
http://www.xtreamer.net/xtreamer-prodigy-upgraded/

it shows a comparison to other realtek 1186 based players (chinese ones as I believe the HiMedia is) and they act like their Xtreamer brand realtek 1186 based player in the Prodigy has a few advantages.

Is the HiMedia 900b reall not 750mhz like the Xtreamer brand Prodigy unit? or is that just misleading advertising by Xtreamer

oh they are comparing to realtek 1185 @ 500mhz so i'm sure all 1186 are 750. misleading.

What is DVBT? says optional so you prob have to pay extra/sold sep but I reemmber seeing that mentioned i think mentioned on the Oppo bdp-95 bd player over the half the price bdp-93... though i guess the 95 is more for other reasons.

says hdmi 1.4 3d. again probably comparing to realtek 1185 players as any 1186 like the HiMedia 900b i assume is hdmi 1.4 and of course we know it plays 3d bd iso just the same as Xtreamer Prodigy

Claims a "firmware branch" advantage over competing players:
"Unlike our chinese competitors, the Xtreamer prodigy is not based on the original SDK as provided by Realtek. All of them lack so many functions and optimization core the Xtreamer Prodigy has."

A "System" advantage:
"The Xtreamer offer its community both HTML 5 php Json Curl OpenSSL & XML with Sqlite. Most of our competitors does not involve the comunnity in the development of the device like the Xtreamer does."

Embedded Jukebox:
The Xtreamer offer its community both HTML 5 php Json Curl OpenSSL & XML with Sqlite. Most of our competitors does not involve the comunnity in the development of the device like the Xtreamer does.

passive cooling, wireless headset are a few other Check marks it has that it claims its "chinese competitors" dont

i know its mostly a bunch of marketing bs but a few things do seem legit slight advantage and again I really like the front loading 3.5" hdd bay though for now I"m mostly going to use 2.5" usb hdd so i can switch between whichever player I choose soon for the lower level and for connection to 3d bd player in main room.

Makes me wish my pch had a quicker easier way to connect/disconnect the 3.5" hdd so i can switch between that and whatever media tank I get in other room.

Does the HiMedia 900b have front loading3.5" hdd? i think i remember its top loading but seemed to be a pretty easy flip lid so I guess its not much different but the front loading is nice and like i said i saw someoen mod their HiMedia 900b to have that but it made it raelly wide while somehow the Xtreamer Prodigy doesn't seem that wide even with front loading 3.5" hdd bay.

Probably makign too much out of this being its just for secondary room right now and mostly just for 3d bd iso from usb hdd and since for those i'm already used to not having yamj on the main room 3d bd player that can play files then id otn need a lot of bells and whistles and it does seem i can get the HiMedia 900b for a little less then Xtreamer Prodigy.

But i like hte accessories with Xtreamer and maybe I try it and then if it can do everythign my pch can do including run yamj that is already on the internal 3.5" sata hdd in my pch then that would be perfect because with 2 Xtreamer Prodigy I can easily pull out the 3.5" sata hdd from the front loading bay to move the content between rooms.

in fact even better would be if one media player (Xtreamer Prodigy) could stream from another so I woudn't have to pull out hdd at all becaues the main reason i dont stream is because I dont like to leave pc and be dpendent on that but streaming between media playuers would be cool though as I said witht eh front loading 3.5" hdd bay, it seems easy to pull it out and put it in another of same device.

And while the frlip up top lid of the HiMedia 900b is probalby almost as easy, the front loading bay seems more "hot swappable" and faster to do that so hm.

Like I said, if the Xtreamer Prodigy can do everything my PCH A-110 can do (which should be hard other then using yamj and my front end gui the same way) then I would maybe even get 2 of them so i can not only tak ehte content on my 2.5" usb powered hdd's but also can move the 3.5" internal hdd between players/rooms.

maybe even get a fast hotswap enclosure for 3.5" hdd for my pc so i can more quikly transfer files from pc to the media player hdd rather then over the network which at least on the pch is much slower then usb 2.0 even.

thoughts and recommendations welcome but I am leaning towards the Xtreamer Prodigy and if I like it possibly a 2nd one though that would probably be dumb as I should be waiting for Sigma 8910 based playes from Syabas (pch) and Dune.

And still thinking about that Xtreamer brand Ultra 2 pc coming in March with XBMC (the be to end all jukebox programs) pre loaded though I know there will still be some htpc related install and maintenance etc with the Ultra and it seems it only takes 2.5" internal hdd and cant tell how swappable it is.

And if i'm go ing to use 2.5" I mine as well use the usb powered 2.5" like WD passport. as long as those get cheaper and similar capacity of 3.5" (2.5" always going to be more expensive and WD passport at least still maxes out at 1tb i think) i should still maybe just stick to those as easiest to transfer between devices and pc. But as long as i get a good quick easy swappable 3.5" enclosure for the pc then i can probably easily switch a 3.5" sata hdd between the pc and roms with media players as long as they have a front loading hot swap bay like the Xtreamer Prodigy does.

probably just get one of those for now but I'm surprised that when I asked what is or are the best meda players capable of 3d bd iso (still only realtek 1186 I guess) that the Xtreamer brand Prodigy unit isn't mentioned more.

I only just saw it once i believe in this thread regarding that yamj works on it? if exactly the same as the pch then that would be huge as I would be able to just connect the 3.5" sata i have in my pch to it and more esily my 2.5" ext. usb with tv shows on it between teh pch and the Xtreamer Prodigy.

and if i like it better maybe i demote the pch to the basement and make the Prodigy the main room player (as it is way newer and while I know its not the best and plenty complaints about Xtreamer brand just as HiMedia i'm sure its got to be better then old pch a-110 by now) so maybe I'd even get a second Xtreamer Prodigy or get the Xtreamer Ultra for main room which woudl use same accessories (i like the small wireless kb with trackpad they offer though i read one review saying it wasnt' that good) and only problem with the Ultra 2 would be how to connect the 3.5" hdd, id have to use antoher enclosure to connect it to the Xtreamer Ultra and again all the aggravation with an htpc which is what is is despite having a lot of stuff pre insalled.

if only Xtreamer Prodigy could use xbmc I'd get 2 but thats where the Sigma smp8910 players come in without the trouble of htpc. So I beter just get 1 realtek 1186 player for now and leanign toards the Xtreamer Prodigy still somehow even over HiMedia unless I"m missing something.

only sucky thing is with keeping my pch a-110, is not being able to take out the internal 3.5" sata hdd to put in the front loading bay of the Prodigy which again, as long as yamj works exactly the sasme on the Prodigy exactly how its setup on the hdd's i have it on that work in pch then that will tempt me to dump the pch for another Prodigy just for that front load easy swap 3.5" bay.
post #53 of 141 Old 02-03-2012, 04:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Surprise! My HiMedia HD900B arrived today from China.

Setup was pretty simple and it works great! It plays 3D BD iso files over the wifi network easily. I had a spare 500Gb hard drive here so I stuck that in but so far I haven't figured out how to transfer the iso files from my computer to the local drive. I can select it and select copy, then go to the local host ( assume this is the HD900B hard drive but when I press the button to paste it to the drive folder, up pops a failure bubble for a second. The manual doesn't seem much help so I'll be looking for owner support on this part. I'm sure there is something procedurally I'm not doing right. Tackle it again tomorrow!
post #54 of 141 Old 02-04-2012, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Don, does it playback also self created 3D isos by using Vegas?

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #55 of 141 Old 02-04-2012, 12:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

OK, I finally figured out the procedure to copy 3d iso from my computer via lan to the 900B hard drive without "no disk space" errors. Apparently I did not format the drive properly before. It's now copying a 23Gb iso to the 900 via wifi and will take some time.

Wolfgang- 3D isos from Vegas Pro render - flawlessly over wifi. Did not watch my entire program as it is 50 minutes long but the first few minutes looked OK and FF worked great.
I haven't tested one with menus that I made with PD10 and generated the iso using DVDFAB yet.

Time to get some sleep while this big file copies to the 900B HDD.

I do anticipate network issues with playback that is why for prime time viewing, I'll use the internal drive but it is nice with this device to be able to quickly play a new rendering that is still on my computer in another room.

In addition to an internal sata drive with flip open access, the 900B has an external sata plug as well as USB3.0 ports and USB 2.0 ports. Lots of room for adding media drives.

The manual is well written but just not very detailed on how to do some operations.
post #56 of 141 Old 02-04-2012, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Great to hear that Vegas-ISOs work... what seems to be still not true for the Prodigy 3D.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #57 of 141 Old 02-04-2012, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang S. View Post

Great to hear that Vegas-ISOs work... what seems to be still not true for the Prodigy 3D.

The Prodigy could likely use the latest firmware flash program from the Himedia (or other 1186 variations), and get the latest compatibility to play 3D isos that Don is reporting.

The segment of the flash program memory, in these 1186 units, that is updated by a standard update is common to all the variations of the the 1186 boxes. This is because all 1186 boxes use the same "System on a Chip."

The vendor specific difference in the flash is only overwritten by the special procedure I listed earlier in this thread. It's a good idea to be sure to have the specific firmware for your box before cross flashing, just in case that needs to be restored.

Richard Adams
post #58 of 141 Old 02-04-2012, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK, I finally figured out the procedure to copy 3d iso from my computer via lan to the 900B hard drive without "no disk space" errors. Apparently I did not format the drive properly before. It's now copying a 23Gb iso to the 900 via wifi and will take some time.

Wolfgang- 3D isos from Vegas Pro render - flawlessly over wifi. Did not watch my entire program as it is 50 minutes long but the first few minutes looked OK and FF worked great.
I haven't tested one with menus that I made with PD10 and generated the iso using DVDFAB yet.

Time to get some sleep while this big file copies to the 900B HDD.

I do anticipate network issues with playback that is why for prime time viewing, I'll use the internal drive but it is nice with this device to be able to quickly play a new rendering that is still on my computer in another room.

In addition to an internal sata drive with flip open access, the 900B has an external sata plug as well as USB3.0 ports and USB 2.0 ports. Lots of room for adding media drives.

The manual is well written but just not very detailed on how to do some operations.

Are you using the newest beta 900B firmware? Here is a link.

http://dl.himedia-tech.cn/HD900B/HD900_1.0.3.5.tar.gz

If so, I am curious if the 900B will now play (with new beta firmware) the original 1080i60-3D files from your TD10, that is before the SVP11 / PD10 process flow that makes them 1080p24.

Same question for the Top / Bottom Full 3D (stereo audio) file you made as a test, 1920 x 2160 TB 3D? And if you have Full SBS files available, same question for that too.

Version 1.0.3.5

Richard Adams
post #59 of 141 Old 02-04-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Richard- I will test in about an hour. 900b is in transfer mode right now, moving about 200Gb of iso's.

I did see in the 900B menus that TB and SBS 3D playback is allowed and selectable, by I would guess that neither would be "Full" mode but rather half. To do Full would require the device to scale the file back to half or be rated for 4K x 2K framing which the 900b is not. Even then the TB file would not fit but a SBS full would.
Remember what I told you, the TB file I made is mostly an intermediate rendering way to keep resolution for transfer between Vegas and Power director. It is not intended for viewing. Unless you have a graphics card capable of 4K. I don't!

The firmware I am using is what came with the 900B. I doubt it is the beta you referenced. I will check into it and see what new firmware offers. Been reading about these other firmwares people been testing. Seems there are many troubles experimenting. I intend to use the device, not experiment, so if it does what I want, well enough, I don't see a need to upgrade to beta releases.
post #60 of 141 Old 02-04-2012, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Richard- I will test in about an hour. 900b is in transfer mode right now, moving about 200Gb of iso's.

I did see in the 900B menus that TB and SBS 3D playback is allowed and selectable, by I would guess that neither would be "Full" mode but rather half. To do Full would require the device to scale the file back to half or be rated for 4K x 2K framing which the 900b is not. Even then the TB file would not fit but a SBS full would.
Remember what I told you, the TB file I made is mostly an intermediate rendering way to keep resolution for transfer between Vegas and Power director. It is not intended for viewing. Unless you have a graphics card capable of 4K. I don't!

The firmware I am using is what came with the 900B. I doubt it is the beta you referenced. I will check into it and see what new firmware offers. Been reading about these other firmwares people been testing. Seems there are many troubles experimenting. I intend to use the device, not experiment, so if it does what I want, well enough, I don't see a need to upgrade to beta releases.

At this link about the Himedia 900B, there is mention of support for 1920x2160 for 3D.

http://www.himedia-tech.cn/en/product_show.php?id=27

Quote from above link, "The HiMedia 900B supports sides-by-side (SBS) 3D, top and bottom 3D, and frame packed (real image size 1920x2160) 3D. The last of these is particularuly important as it is used for Blu-Ray video."

Generally, ensuring that the equipment can update and restore firmware is a good practice for incoming inspection. Then there is also, "something already working doesn't need fixing."

Richard Adams
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page