3D playback by newest streaming boxes - Realtek 1186 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 141 Old 01-01-2012, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Next generation 3D source components have hit the market. These play 2D and 3D video content without having a built in bluray optical disk drive,

This thread invites comparisons of the features and robustness of devices that can stream and play 3D, without being limited to a single vendor's product.

There players can play half frame Side by Side (SBS or H-SBS) and half frame top/ bottom, but the most interesting aspect is that they can play full HD files, such as those produced from Sony Vegas, Power Director, or taken from bluray 3D disk content.

In Full HD-3D, the signal sent to the monitor is a full-HD 1920x1080 signal for each eye. Today there are several ways this is stored in a file.

The most efficient way to store these files is called MVC, and this is what is used on purchased 3D bluray disks. This is also what is used by the JVC and Sony 3D consumer camcorders that came on the market in 2011.

So... these efficient MVC-3D files are both purchased content, and content we make ourselves. Although the files can result by ripping a 3D bluray, which may be a prohibited use, the MVC file streaming playback also applies to content made by the average person on their own camcorder.

Interestingly, none of the Bluray players on the market today will stream 3D MVC files over a local network, stored on your own computer, with a 3D result on the monitor. Some will play in 3D from a USB hard-drive (this feature is being deleted, since it interferes with bluray licensing).

As of this writing, only these Realtek 1186 based devices will play true HD 3D from over the network from a hard drive in your own computer.

So... now at last there are streaming 3D players that are more versatile.

Versatile means we can play this content from an ISO so the menu works, or we can play it from a file on a computer over the network (NAS / DLNA / uPNP) or from a drive connected to the player (flash / Fat32/ NTFS / hard drive), and play various frame rates such as 1080p24 or 1080i60 in 3D.

Versatile also means that various monitors and audio formats are supported, and that playback of various 2D files is supported. Versatile means that you don't have to convert the file before you can play it.

But how well will these new boxes meet this task? It's a tall order that will likely result in some boxes working better than others even though they have the same chip set inside.

First appearing in October 2011, the newest streaming players share some common chips inside made by Realtek called the 1186 series. This is kind of like comparing a variety of computers that all have Intel processors. Though they all have Intel, they have different features depending on all of the other stuff inside the box.

Here is a list of some of the Realtek 1186 based 3D streaming media players, all I've found so far. As of writing this, I am still deciding which ones I'll buy first. List is sorted by vendor name.

Bluetimes Coopa 3550B
Eaget M70 or M90
Egreat R6S R150 or R200S or R300
Evolve Infinity
Fantec 3DFHDL or 3DS4600
GIEC HD300
HDPro-i6
HiMedia HD900 A or B or D suffix
Iconbit XDS73D or XDS1003D
Kaiboer K660i
Magic Box HD1200
Measy X5
Micca EP950
MyGica V9
Sarotech Abigs D9
Xtreamer Prodigy 3D
Zero Devices Z200
(some are known re-brands of the same unit)

There is at least one thread about one of these models in another place on AVSforum (probably belongs here in 3D source components, but too late to move it now). It looks like a support thread for that particular one.

I've bought various media players in recent the years. Roku, Iodata, Zensonic, Sony PS3.

Which new 3D streaming player will I buy? Let's find out.

"With Liberty, HDTV and Justice for all."
Richard Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 141 Old 01-02-2012, 01:20 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have the Himedia 900b, I waited for a bit as folks were not entirely happy when it was launched with one thing or another, but I soon realised that for me this device is just perfect. I dont have my media players hooked up on a network, I just use a stash of portable HDD's connected to the players via USB. I dont care much for fancy GUI's or DVD covers etc, for me just a list of what is on the drive and to be able to play it back at the appropriate resolution and framerate is what its about. The 3D ISO's I make from my TD10 footage with Vegas play perfectly and chapters work just fine, this is the same for any bluray ISO that i've tried, it handles HD audio formats fine aswell. Ive only had the device for a few days but everything ive tried works fine, i've yet to sit through a whole film but lots of testing with various stuff shows no issues for me, I must add that ive updated the device to the latest custom FW out of the box, this was a big reason for getting the Himedia as people are making custom FW for it which will be excellent for end users.

One thing that I tried and it didnt play was the files from my TD10, it plays them but only in 2D, hopefully some kind of AVCHD 2.0 profile may well be added into a FW at some point.
post #3 of 141 Old 01-02-2012, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emporer View Post

I have the Himedia 900b, I waited for a bit as folks were not entirely happy when it was launched with one thing or another, but I soon realised that for me this device is just perfect. I dont have my media players hooked up on a network, I just use a stash of portable HDD's connected to the players via USB. I dont care much for fancy GUI's or DVD covers etc, for me just a list of what is on the drive and to be able to play it back at the appropriate resolution and framerate is what its about. The 3D ISO's I make from my TD10 footage with Vegas play perfectly and chapters work just fine, this is the same for any bluray ISO that i've tried, it handles HD audio formats fine aswell. Ive only had the device for a few days but everything ive tried works fine, i've yet to sit through a whole film but lots of testing with various stuff shows no issues for me, I must add that ive updated the device to the latest custom FW out of the box, this was a big reason for getting the Himedia as people are making custom FW for it which will be excellent for end users.

One thing that I tried and it didnt play was the files from my TD10, it plays them but only in 2D, hopefully some kind of AVCHD 2.0 profile may well be added into a FW at some point.

That's informative.

I noticed at the post in another thread (link below) is that the 900b was said to work for half of the AVCHD 2.0. That's the 1080p60-2D playback part of AVCHD 2.0.

I recall that the TD10 will record 1080p60-2D, and that the PMB software for burning an AVCHD2.0 bluray supports that as well as the 1080i60-3D part of the AVCHD 2.0 spec. Have you ever tried the 1080p60-2D file from the TD10 with the Himedia player?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post21244256

Richard Adams
post #4 of 141 Old 01-02-2012, 05:14 AM

Ive not tried it to be honest as I only ever film in 3D and create 2D discs from the 3D footage when needed, I imagine it will play the files as it can play 1080p60 stuff but I think it wont play the AVCHD 2.0 image. But for AVCHD 2.0 3D moe then its a no go for now.
post #5 of 141 Old 01-02-2012, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The newest firmware for this says 1.0.3.2 - Is that what you're using, or is it a customized older version?

New firmware link - http://dl.himedia-tech.cn/HD900B/HD900_1.0.3.2.tar.gz

Richard Adams
post #6 of 141 Old 01-02-2012, 01:50 PM

The version I use is 1.0.1.13 custom which I believe is only a few days old, the original 1.0.1.13 was released on 26th I think.

Pretty sure its the latest one.
post #7 of 141 Old 01-02-2012, 01:51 PM

Actually just had look around and it is a new fw released today, i'll wait for the guys to custom it hopefully in the next few days
post #8 of 141 Old 01-02-2012, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The version I use is 1.0.1.13 custom which I believe is only a few days old, the original 1.0.1.13 was released on 26th I think.

Pretty sure its the latest one.

I read in that other link that people are already working to add customized features to the new 1.0.3.2 version that came out from the chip maker.

So it appears that first the chip maker makes the update (now 1.0.3.2), and then others work to customize it.

Richard Adams
post #9 of 141 Old 01-02-2012, 02:51 PM

I'm interested in the iconbit XDS1003D as it play also 3D iso made by vegas and powerdvd 10. But someone in a forum has noticed that there's some micro-glitch every 2 or 3 secondes (it seems that some issues from the frequency), but that is not confirmed by others.
Note that Xtreamer Prodigy 3D cannot play 3d iso from vegas or PDVD10.
post #10 of 141 Old 01-02-2012, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itou31 View Post

I'm interested in the iconbit XDS1003D as it play also 3D iso made by vegas and powerdvd 10. But someone in a forum has noticed that there's some micro-glitch every 2 or 3 secondes (it seems that some issues from the frequency), but that is not confirmed by others.
Note that Xtreamer Prodigy 3D cannot play 3d iso from vegas or PDVD10.

Some video glitches could be caused by bandwidth issue on a LAN connection.

That's good to know about the Iconbit product. Where'd you read that? Ok to PM me.

Here is a link to a file with a short clip of 3D directly from my Sony HDR-TD10 camcorder. It's 100mb, less than 30 seconds, there is depth, pop-out, and audio to observe lipsync.

It's ok to give out this link to those that want to test for compatibility. The clip should play in 3D if the player is working as good as I'd like it to.
http://st7.us/mvc-sample0011.mts

Richard Adams
post #11 of 141 Old 01-03-2012, 04:51 AM

Hi Richard,
A french forum about the Iconbit : http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/v...531#p176554531

and the comparison with the Xtreamer prodigy 3D (must be logged):
http://forum.xtreamer.net/topic/2628...ost__p__211877

I have also the TD10. Thanks for the share.
post #12 of 141 Old 01-03-2012, 08:49 AM

Not sure about the othe rplayers but the Himedia 900 certainly plays my TD10 discs created by Vegas with no issues at all. I dont stream via network though, just USB hard drives.
post #13 of 141 Old 01-05-2012, 12:32 AM

I just bought the egreat R200S with 1186 chipset. Will try tonight if it works on TD10 mts, Vegas 3D iso and PD10 iso.
post #14 of 141 Old 01-05-2012, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not sure about the othe rplayers but the Himedia 900 certainly plays my TD10 discs created by Vegas with no issues at all. I dont stream via network though, just USB hard drives.

Based on what I've read, there appear to be more issues related to using these boxes with data supplied over a Lan, as compared with using data stored on a hard drive directly connected to the player.

My own experience with several other players (other than 1186 based since I don't have one yet) shows that sharing high bit rate files, such as 3D, works best when using a DLNA server such as Tversity. When I did tried direct network file sharing, I got stuttering on high bit rate files. When I use the DLNA Tversity file server, there was no stuttering, and on the PS3 (for example) with Tversity, all forward and reverse playback speeds worked correctly.

Since these 1186 boxes allow for a directly connected hard drive, external, and for some 1186 models internal, the user can also copy the files from a network share store them on the local drive, and playback those video files from the connected local hard drive, without using DLNA, and while minimizing any possible issues related to local network speed.

Richard Adams
post #15 of 141 Old 01-06-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chang69 View Post

I just bought the egreat R200S with 1186 chipset. Will try tonight if it works on TD10 mts, Vegas 3D iso and PD10 iso.

First of all I bought this device because I want to put it in my living room so that my wife can see the 3D iso/movies I made of our children in 2D. In the living room we only have a normal 2D LCD, I have a seperate movie room with 3D LCD.

My tests so far:
Vegas ISO works and device detects as 3D.
PD10 - Menu's looked really screwed up and doesn't detect as 3D. My popcornhour C-200 does show the menu correctly.
TD10 M2TS - Only plays in 2D.

I stream the above content via network and when using SMB it all stutters. I decided to use NFS and the bluray ISO play perfectly in 2D. But when playing in 3D it lightly stutters. For the purpose it's perfect as I do not need it for 3D playing, only that it can play 3D iso's.

I have in my media room an ASRock 3D vision, that player plays perfectly mounted ISO's using PowerDVD.
post #16 of 141 Old 01-06-2012, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

First of all I bought this device because I want to put it in my living room so that my wife can see the 3D iso/movies I made of our children in 2D. In the living room we only have a normal 2D LCD, I have a seperate movie room with 3D LCD.

My tests so far:
Vegas ISO works and device detects as 3D.
PD10 - Menu's looked really screwed up and doesn't detect as 3D. My popcornhour C-200 does show the menu correctly.
TD10 M2TS - Only plays in 2D.

I stream the above content via network and when using SMB it all stutters. I decided to use NFS and the bluray ISO play perfectly in 2D. But when playing in 3D it lightly stutters. For the purpose it's perfect as I do not need it for 3D playing, only that it can play 3D iso's.

I have in my media room an ASRock 3D vision, that player plays perfectly mounted ISO's using PowerDVD.

Which firmware is in the R200S ?

When you play the Isos perfectly on the ASRock 3D, are they streamed, and if so how?

Does the ASR play the TD10 M2TS in 3D?

Richard Adams
post #17 of 141 Old 01-06-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Adams View Post

Which firmware is in the R200S ?

When you play the Isos perfectly on the ASRock 3D, are they streamed, and if so how?

Does the ASR play the TD10 M2TS in 3D?

I tried all the 3 firmwares including the beta.

The asrock uses powerdvd to play the mts, so not playing mts unless i uses stereoscopic player.

Somewhow a ripped blu ray(despicable me) plays very well without stutter on the asr. It didn not play the egreat without stutter. My vegas iso now also stutters a little in 3D, I suspect its because of 1280x720 50p. I will try 24p tonight/tommorow.

I stream all the content via smb. I have a qnas pro raid5 and get throughput of 10mbytes/sec on wired. This should be enough for 3d bluray.
post #18 of 141 Old 01-06-2012, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I tried all the 3 firmwares including the beta.

The asrock uses powerdvd to play the mts, so not playing mts unless i uses stereoscopic player.

Somewhow a ripped blu ray(despicable me) plays very well without stutter on the asr. It didn not play the egreat without stutter. My vegas iso now also stutters a little in 3D, I suspect its because of 1280x720 50p. I will try 24p tonight/tommorow.

I stream all the content via smb. I have a qnas pro raid5 and get throughput of 10mbytes/sec on wired. This should be enough for 3d bluray.

PowerDVD 11 with update 2024, September 2011, was reported to play the TD10 MTS in 3D.

I was asking for the revision number of the actual box firmware so that readers looking at this thread in the future might compare that to the versions available later.

Richard Adams
post #19 of 141 Old 01-07-2012, 01:47 PM

One thing that i think would be really great for the Himedia player is an auto framerate adjust, like the WDTV does, would save having to switch every time I played a 50 or 60hz clip!!
post #20 of 141 Old 01-07-2012, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One thing that i think would be really great for the Himedia player is an auto framerate adjust, like the WDTV does, would save having to switch every time I played a 50 or 60hz clip!!

Content is supposed to have a frame rate descriptor built in. It's possible some clips are missing the descriptor or have an incorrect descriptor.

Does the 900B allow setting the video playback frame rate on any video content? Does the audio track shift "frequency / pitch" with video frame rate setting? Having the ability to set frame rate seems like it would be a plus.

Richard Adams
post #21 of 141 Old 01-07-2012, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Taking a peek today at prices, the lowest priced 1186 players right now are the units that do not have an internal hard drive bay. This is the iconBIT XDS73D and Himedia 900A. Of these two, the 900A has the lowest price. There is also an Egreat R6S on ebay, ship direct from Hong Kong. My own experience buying ebay items from Hong Kong (not this item) has been not so good.

Richard Adams
post #22 of 141 Old 01-08-2012, 01:14 AM

Quote:

Content is supposed to have a frame rate descriptor built in. It's possible some clips are missing the descriptor or have an incorrect descriptor.

Does the 900B allow setting the video playback frame rate on any video content? Does the audio track shift "frequency / pitch" with video frame rate setting? Having the ability to set frame rate seems like it would be a plus.

Its definately not got the feature, the WDTV had and it worked great.

I have mine set at 50p as most of my stuff is 50hz, it will auto switch to 24p when needed which is great but I downloaded a tv cap of the Disney parks Christmas Day parades which being NTSC was 60hz, the Himedia played it at 50p and this introduced small stutter so I had to manually change to 60p, was silky smooth then.

Would be great if it detected this and changed accordingly.
post #23 of 141 Old 01-08-2012, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Its definately not got the feature, the WDTV had and it worked great.

I have mine set at 50p as most of my stuff is 50hz, it will auto switch to 24p when needed which is great but I downloaded a tv cap of the Disney parks Christmas Day parades which being NTSC was 60hz, the Himedia played it at 50p and this introduced small stutter so I had to manually change to 60p, was silky smooth then.

Would be great if it detected this and changed accordingly.

Does the user have to set the frame rate? Is there a default or initial setting?

I recently sent my suggestion for the improvement to support TD10 files to the Himedia people and the Micca people. I was able to correspond directly with Micca. For Himedia I posted a message on the futeko.com forum for the Himedia 900.

Both of these companies replied promptly, writing that they would forward my request to the people who make firmware updates.

Perhaps you could re-iterate and reinforce my suggestion about the TD10 file support, and also include a suggestion regarding automatic frame rate.

Richard Adams
post #24 of 141 Old 01-08-2012, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I ask myself if the processor is able to handle 1080 50i, 1080 60i or only 1080 24p. For the Prodigy 3D, I have seen the issue that 1080 50i sbs-half is played back as 1080 24p. But I do not know if that is a constrain by the firmware, or a constrain by the 1186-chip.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #25 of 141 Old 01-08-2012, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang S. View Post

I ask myself if the processor is able to handle 1080 50i, 1080 60i or only 1080 24p. For the Prodigy 3D, I have seen the issue that 1080 50i sbs-half is played back as 1080 24p. But I do not know if that is a constrain by the firmware, or a constrain by the 1186-chip.

Users* say AVCHD 2.0 1080p60-2D plays ok on the realtek 1186. Since 1080i60-3D has approx the same CPU/GPU/HDMI needs as 1080p60-2D, I deem it likely that firmware can make the improvement sought.

This speculation is also based on the fact that the chips decode the MVC content from commercial and vegas 3D disks correctly.

When problems are reported for doing 1080p24-3D, it's my current belilef that there are firmware or LAN bandwidth issues, since some 1186 box vendors are bringing out the new firmware faster than others, and it is reported in several instances that 24p-3D from commercial bluray and Vegas / PD10 1080p24-3D play okay on 1186 boxes where the firmware and data rate are diligently brought in line with requirements.

The box allows many different methods to get to the data stream that is played. Some methods may be less robust at both server and player end, and / or less robust in the middle of the LAN.

Problems are reported less often when playing 3D from a directly connected hard drive.

The 50i-3D rate is no more demanding than 60i-3D. This again indicates that firmware is deemed to be correctable for this.

The Realtek 1186 based boxes are an improvement over older hardware players, since the 1186 boxes already have shown they can play the AVCHD 2.0 1080p60-2D. Older outdated hardware, such as PCH, PS3 and Oppo BD-93/95 are not so good, since neither AVCHD 2.0 2D nor 3D plays on those old slugs.

*I am referring to the posts listed below, where users of the Realtek 1186 based Himedia 900b report that AVCHD 2.0 for 1080p60-2D works ok.

There is still a question in my mind if the HDMI output is 1080p60-2D, or is down converted. We'd need to have a 3D TV display capable of this HDMI AVCHD 2.0 input, in order to be certain.

From the other thread on the TD10 camcorder and PMB 5.8, we found there are some TVs that will do 1080i60-3D without requiring any down conversion. Remember that down conversion does not imply that player isn't capable. It can also occur when the player determines that down conversion is needed to make an HDMI signal compatible for the monitor.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post21244256
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post21248096

Richard Adams
post #26 of 141 Old 01-08-2012, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's some notes and links regarding the firmware for Realtek 1186 media players.

The Himedia 900b is today the most supported box as far as firmware updates.

Although other boxes have the same System on Chip, and some even have the same main board, Himedia has had the most support written about it. For other vendors of 1186, firmware is practically nonexistant, or hasn't been located through reasonable search attempts.

Firmware is being improved with new features by 3rd parties. This is the way new apps are installed.

An example of a 3rd party application is a "jukebox" that displays cover art and descriptions for media files, so that when users search the library that the player is connected to, they have access to describe each title in detail. This could be like a similar PCH (popcorn hour) application. It is the ultimate menu for files.

It may be possible to flash the firmware updates and improved applications added by 3rd parties, originally for the Himedia ,into other 1186 boxes, as long as the boot sector is not overwritten with the boot sector from another vendor. Note: See the Important Consideration below, first.

Safe Mode Emergency Recovery

This changes or restores the firmware and also restores the boot start-up firmware. The boot start-up firmware is unique to each brand of box vendor.

The boot start-up firmware is only re-written by this Safe Mode Emergency Recovery. I re-wrote the procedure from the follwing link. http://bbs.himedia.com.au/index.php?topic=700.0

Begin
Turn player off. Disconnect power cable, remove all HDDs, USB and network media connection cables.

On a PC, place a firmware image, specifically for that box brand, in the root of a connected USB disk / flash media, which is renamed to install.img. The PC may not show the .img extenion after the file is renamed, so the firmware file may be named simply, "install"

If you have a battery backed up UPS, it is best to do the firmware upgrade with the player plugged into that for power, so that the power is not interrupted by a power failure.

With this disk / flash that has that "install" image as the only media connected to the player's USB port, press and hold the Restore button in the hole on the player, turn the player on, while still holding the Restore button pressed. Five seconds after power up, release the restore button. The firmware upgrade screen will now show. Do not turn the power off nor remove the USB drive / flash until at least five minutes after the player self-reboots and shows the "finished" message. This allows time for installation of an optional "key" file that follows the, "finished" message.

Important Consideration

A careful user of this player would not cross flash any firmware from another vendor if replacement firmware from the specific box you own isn't available. This is because the Safe mode recovery described above should only be done with a firmware file that exactly matches the vendor that the box was purchased from.

Today, I do not see replacement firmware for all vendors of these "1186 boxes," available from the internet. Some vendors included this firmware on a CD that's included with the player when it's initially purchased. Check that you have it before cross flashing.

Non-Emergency Firmware change

The procedure to install changed firmware, or firmware from another 1186 vendor, uses the same setup for the USB connected drive with the file renamed to install.img that is used for the safe mode recovery (above).

Instead of using the "power up with the restore button pressed," which is the aspect that makes it a "safe mode recovery," use the menu on a working player that is already powered up, and navigate to select Setup>MISC>USB upgrade. The player will reboot and begin the firmware upgrade. Then continue as per the safe mode recovery.

In summary, the first method with the restore button pressed does the full recovery, even potentially fixing a dead bricked player.

The second method, that starts with the menu access, does not re-write the "vendor unique" boot start-up portion of the flash memory. It is this second method that may be suitable for cross flashing the firmware with 3rd party applications from one vendor player to a different one.

List of Firmware numbers and dates for Himedia 900b*

Note: the 1186 boxes first started shipping In October 2011. Newest version is listed first.

Version 1.0.3.8 (2012-2-28 Beta)
Version 1.0.3.5 (2012-1-30 Beta)
Version 1.0.2.16.120116 (customized by Olly)
Version 1.0.2.16 (2012-1-6)
Version 1.0.3.2 (2011-12-30 Beta)
Version 1.0.1.13 (2011-12-22)
Version 1.0.1.12 (2011-12-18)
Version 1.0.1.10 (2011-12-14)
Version 1.0.1.9 (2011-12-08)
Version 1.0.1.8 (2011-12-06)
Version 1.0.1.5 (2011-11-21)
Version 1.0.0.26 (2011-10-31)
Version 1.0.0.24 (2011-10-28)
Version 1.0.0.22 (2011-10-24)
Version 1.0.0.19 (2011-10-19)

Not all firmware for all vendors is shown.

"Compiled from the following sources
http://www.mediaplayer-info.eu/index...ewbetareleases
http://www.futeko.com/forum/index.ph...thread&id=2125
http://www.nikingstore.com/blog/hime...pdate-release/
http://www.futeko.com/navpage/support.php
http://bbs.himedia.com.au/index.php?topic=701.0

Richard Adams
post #27 of 141 Old 01-12-2012, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Next generation 3D source components have hit the market. These play 2D and 3D video content without having a built in bluray optical disk drive,

This thread invites comparisons of the features and robustness of devices that can stream and play 3D, without being limited to a single vendor's product.

To start off I am not writing about half frame Side By Side (H-SBS) or half frame top/bottom 3D, since that's really 2D technology where the monitor makes it 3D at the last step.

I am talking about players that handle Full HD-3D, where the signal sent to the monitor is a full-HD 1920x1080 signal for each eye. Today there are several ways this is stored in a file.

The most efficient way to store these files is called MVC, and this is what is used on purchased 3D bluray disks. This is also what is used by the JVC and Sony 3D consumer camcorders that came on the market in 2011.

So... these efficient MVC-3D files are both purchased content, and content we make ourselves. Although the files can result by ripping a 3D bluray, which may be a prohibited use, the MVC file streaming playback also applies to content made by the average person on their own camcorder.

Interestingly, none of the Bluray players on the market today will stream 3D MVC files over a local network, stored on your own computer, with a 3D result on the monitor. Some will play in 3D from a USB hard-drive, but none do it from over the network from your own computer. They might do 3D from a commercial internet based movie streaming source, but they turn the 3D off for your own files, and if they do display those files, it's in 2D or SD.

So... now at last there are streaming 3D players that are more versatile.

Versatile means we can play this content from an ISO so the menu works, or we can play it from a file on a computer over the network (NAS / DLNA / uPNP) or from a drive connected to the player (flash / Fat32/ NTFS / hard drive), and play various frame rates such as 1080p24 or 1080i60 in 3D.

Versatile also means that various monitors and audio formats are supported, and that playback of various 2D files is supported. Versatile means that you don't have to convert the file before you can play it.

But how well will these new boxes meet this task? It's a tall order that will likely result in some boxes working better than others even though they have the same chip set inside.

First appearing in October 2011, the newest streaming players share some common chips inside made by Realtek called the 1186 series. This is kind of like comparing a variety of computers that all have Intel processors. Though they all have Intel, they have different features depending on all of the other stuff inside the box.

Here is a list of some of the Realtek 1186 based 3D streaming media players, all I've found so far. As of writing this, I am still deciding which ones I'll buy first. List is sorted by vendor name.

Bluetimes Coopa 3550B
Eaget M70 or M90
Egreat R6S R150 or R200S or R300
Evolve Infinity
Fantec 3DFHDL or 3DS4600
GIEC HD300
HDPro-i6
HiMedia HD900 A or B or D suffix
Iconbit XDS73D or XDS1003D
Kaiboer K660i
Magic Box HD1200
Measy X5
Micca EP950
MyGica V9
Xtreamer Prodigy 3D
Zero Devices Z200
(some are known re-brands of the same unit)

There is at least one thread about one of these models in another place on AVSforum (probably belongs here in 3D source components, but too late to move it now). It looks like a support thread for that particular one.

I've bought various media players in recent the years. Roku, Iodata, Zensonic, Sony PS3.

Which new 3D streaming player will I buy? Let's find out.

Not sure you would include it in this list as its not a streaming box but rather a 3d bluray player but the Oppo BDP-93 (and 95) can play 3d bd isos (and other files) from attached ext. esata or usb hdd.

I dont stream to my pch a-110 and I dont want to have to keep that for all 1080p dts mkv and keep 3d bluray player and get a new media tank. rather replace one or othe other and most of these dont work with yamj which i'm already setup with so I'd rather keep the pch and replace my 3d bluray player with the opp bdp-93 because the only thing i'm missing is the abilityt o play 3d bd isos from hdd which the oppo can and then obviously everything my current 3d bd player can.

Plus I heard the realtek 1196 is not that great nor any of the playes using it. I think I'll wait for Syabas PCH or Dune useing Sigma smp8910.
post #28 of 141 Old 01-17-2012, 06:14 AM

I would like to purchase one of these box to replace my multimedia PC for playing 3D iso from Sony Vegas and Full TB or Full SBS.
I know that XDS1003D and XDS73D can do that. (edit : not sure for Full TB or Full SBS)
but Himedia HD900A is cheaper and has more firmware support.
Could "emporer" test for full TB or Full SBS support ?
thanks
post #29 of 141 Old 01-19-2012, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatre View Post

Not sure you would include it in this list as its not a streaming box but rather a 3d bluray player but the Oppo BDP-93 (and 95) can play 3d bd isos (and other files) from attached ext. esata or usb hdd.

I dont stream to my pch a-110 and I dont want to have to keep that for all 1080p dts mkv and keep 3d bluray player and get a new media tank. rather replace one or othe other and most of these dont work with yamj which i'm already setup with so I'd rather keep the pch and replace my 3d bluray player with the opp bdp-93 because the only thing i'm missing is the abilityt o play 3d bd isos from hdd which the oppo can and then obviously everything my current 3d bd player can.

Plus I heard the realtek 1196 is not that great nor any of the playes using it. I think I'll wait for Syabas PCH or Dune useing Sigma smp8910.

According to the following link, Oppo says they will stop supporting playback of bluray isos in the near future. This gives the realtek 1186 boxes additional benefits.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post21509244

Richard Adams
post #30 of 141 Old 01-19-2012, 05:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:

According to the following link, Oppo says they will stop supporting playback of bluray isos in the near future. This gives the realtek 1186 boxes additional benefits.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post21509244

For more- see my PM to you Richard. This goes well beyond OPPO. We will all be looking to buy blank media instead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don Landis
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page