New Sony 3D Cam HDR-TD20VE - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 175 Old 05-09-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 106
On the TD10 the lens protectors will be left open if the camcorder is disconnected from the power when running. However, the default operation is that the camera is shut down normally when the LCD screen door is closed. Somebody would have to turn the camcorder on, then pull the battery and lastly, close the LCD door after the battery is pulled for you to receive it in that condition. If your TD10 is not defective, then you should be able to insert a fully charged battery, open the LCD door, let the camcorder come on, then close the door and the lens protection shutters should close normally. Also, in the menu you can set the TD10 so the LCD door does not power the camcorder. This way you can leave the door open and power the TD10 on and off with the power button on the left side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 175 Old 05-10-2014, 02:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Bugger, powered the TD10 on..... Japanese menu only! I did not see that coming... Sent the Japanese guy an e-mail, hopefully he still has the TD10 PAL version that will definitly have at least English as a language option...
I'll send Sony Netherlands an e-mail with the question if they can flash the cam to European languages.

Shutters are closed meanwhile. Weather is nasty, no shooting today.
post #153 of 175 Old 05-11-2014, 11:57 AM

Good news from Japan! The seller felt responsible since the advertisement text did not mention the Japanes model not to have multiple languages. He found a HDR-TD10E PAL version and it is on its way. I told him I'd be leaving for the States and I will only send the Japanese TD10 back as soon as I have my hands on the PAL substitute. Because either way, struggling through Japanese menu need be or flowing through menu's in my own language, a TD10 will be hooked up to a SBE in less than two weeks from now. The seller agreed to that and is quite confident I'll have the camera in a matter of days. I think he is right.

Great and excellent AND expeditious service! It still exists!

Greatings from one happy camper!

P.S. to those of you that watched my first 3D footage and enjoyed the tracks from Ilse DeLange: The Common Linnets (of which she is half) ended as runner-up in the Eurovision Songcontest! Wow! A lady with a beard or a man with a dress (I think the latter) with a golden voice from Austria won.

post #154 of 175 Old 05-12-2014, 12:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Lets hope it arrives in time. Good he had a Pal version for you! I wonder how the VAT taxes will hit you. Do you get credit when you return an item?

Hey Jereon- I try not to fall in love with my background music artists although she is quite easy on the eyes, and ears. biggrin.gif I once had a female VO talent who was always flirting. I ignored it since I knew it was just to get more business.
post #155 of 175 Old 05-22-2014, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

hi i am based in u.k. and have a brand new sony hdr td10 ntsc version  but  it is in the japanese language did you hear back from sony wether you could flash it with english regards 

post #156 of 175 Old 05-23-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nscot View Post

hi i am based in u.k. and have a brand new sony hdr td10 ntsc version  but  it is in the japanese language did you hear back from sony wether you could flash it with english regards 

Yep, I heard back from Sony, can't be flashed.... So they said down here. It could be worthwhile to send the English Sony guys and galls the same question, who knows, perhaps they know of tricks the Dutch have never heard of. They send me a link with the European Userguide of the TD10, you then sorta need to match the pictures of the menu in the userguide with those of the cam. Could work, I experimented with it before I got my PAL version, apart from the very first setup screen (where you can select another language), the setup seems to be equivalant to that depicted in the user guide. Can't be sure though since my Japanese is as good as my Swahili... And I did not try all the options to find out by "Trial on Error".

I got extremely lucky to swap my TD10 NTSC for PAL, it even masters Dutch... I love the TD10! On the tiny screens it was hard to see a difference between the TD10 and TD20. Mostly they more or less produced the same picture when I shot comparison shots. I did not have a chance to see it on the full screen in my man cave yet, we rushed over to Vancouver yesterday. Unfortunately, we had to split up since the aircraft was overbooked. My 19 year old daughter was eager to demonstrate her grown-upness and insisted on traveling alone with her younger brother the next day. So, here we are, the wife and I, in rainy Richmond (Vancouver International Airport's home town), it is raining cats and dogs, only get to screw the SBE on my TD10 tonight...

post #157 of 175 Old 05-26-2014, 06:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Keep us posted on your adventure. Looking forward to following your travels, both in print and later on video.
post #158 of 175 Old 05-31-2014, 10:23 AM

Well, half way the trip, present location LA, about to depart to Joshua Tree National Park and from there to Needles Marine Park. So far this is the only location we stayed at that has WiFi. Seen stunning views so far, did a great cycling tour through San Francisco where one could spend hours at the sea lions at pier 39.. Rented an electric bike to get the wife to climb the big hill left of the Golden Gate. That worked out fine.

On my tiny TD10 display I got the feeling the SBE does it's job. The general idea of carrying two cams rather than mounting/unmounting the SBE works out as I had anticipated, TD20 for close ups/wide angle, TD10 for 3D at a larger distance. It turned out the required amount of zoom on the TD10 with SBE is a handicap. On some scenes I had not zoomed far enough to get rid of the black sides caused by the SBE. Some of those scenes looked promising, I'm hoping that cropping them in Vegas will work.

My Sony Vaio is definetly not the tool to do on the road Vegas editing. It does prove its use by previewing clips in Sony's media management tools, I can cut the clips and delete the rest. This way editing in Vegas will only mean putting the selected clips in the right order. Of course, I can only judge the 3D part of the material on my big screen at home..

Next half of the trip will consist of: Beverly Hills, Griffith Observatory, Joshua Tree National Park, Sedona, Grand Canyon (including helicopter tour), Hooverdam, Las Vegas and finally New York (that we will do on bicycle as well).

Greetings from packed Balbao RV Park,

Jeroen
guitarman512 likes this.
post #159 of 175 Old 05-31-2014, 10:25 AM

Forgot to mention: we'll cheat on the Las Vegas-NY stretch: the RV stays in Vegas, we'll fly that stretch...
post #160 of 175 Old 05-31-2014, 11:51 AM

Did anyone ever had an issue with td10, 20 or 30 that one camera is out of sync/focus with another? Right camera is out of focus 50% of the time (I own td20). "Auto 3D Lens Adjust" doesn't solve the issue. I can't figure out what triggers such behavior.

post #161 of 175 Old 05-31-2014, 10:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

I believe a few have mentioned it but Sony service can fix it.

Jeroen- Sounds like you are having a great time. Looking forward to seeing your footage.

When in Las Vegas be sure to do the Eifel Tower view at the top. The wire cage up there won't permit your SBE as it will be blocked but the TD20 will be able to see through the camera ports without blockage. I had to return with my TD10 since the wire cage view ports was too small for even the Z10K. So just take the TD20. The Stratosphere tower is no longer a good view of the strip since the new high rise buildings block the view. Go there for the rides, but the view of the Las Vegas strip is bad.
post #162 of 175 Old 06-01-2014, 09:03 AM

No, Sony can't fix it. At least in Europe frown.gif

I had a TD10, with focus error on the right lens.
I bought it in Austria, and because of EU warranty i send it 3 times to
hungarian service for repair. They changed the right lens completely, tried
to calibrate, etc. but finally i got my cam back worse than it was.
They said i have to go to Sony Austria for replace unit or money back.
The austrian service also tried to fix it 2 times, without luck, so
i have my money back. I wanted to buy a TD20 because the lack
of internal memory of TD30, but this model was discontinued, so
now i have a TD30. It's a lot better (ok, smaller base, but that's all)
Focus is acceptable for me. Rarely i see the left picture sharper, when
there is lot of detail/motion in scene, but i think this is only because of
MVC compression, 28mbps is not enough for such scenes.

So what i like in TD30 after TD10?
- AE shift
- white balance shift
- 3D depth setting to auto (adjust parallax)
- smaller, lighter
- built in lamp
-3 customizable function button
- smaller base (good for macro)

And what i don't like
- smaller base smile.gif
- slowest zoom speed is still fast, pana can do slower
- no possibility to hide all OSD from the screen
- no manual white balance (or at least lock)
- no filter ring (polar, sunshade, macro, etc)
- 2D display switch - not remember when power on/off
- limit AGC function only in 2D mode
- interlace 3D

regards!
post #163 of 175 Old 06-02-2014, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I am a lucky guy! I purchased 3 Sony TD10 units here in Austria - and all of them were fine. smile.gif

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #164 of 175 Old 06-02-2014, 04:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

3 TD 10 cams here and all three we fine too. The last one was a gift and I gifted it forward to my nephew. The first two were new from Sony.

The only factory defect I have had was with the Sony 3D bloggie. We discovered one of the cams was off a little in vertical disparity but Sony auto 3D adjust fixed that just fine.
post #165 of 175 Old 06-03-2014, 10:30 PM

Wolfgang or Don:
can you upload please some short native MTS files created with your TD10?
I really like to see if the left and right side are equally sharp.
One outside in sunny day (wide and zoomed )
the other test inside, lowlight (iris open) wide and zoomed

Thank you very much!
post #166 of 175 Old 06-06-2014, 08:18 PM

@Don: thanks for your tips! Unfortunatly, I just read them, here in New York where we spent the day on a bicycle and did most of the touristic highlights in Manhattan. I did not know of the option to go up the Eifel Tower... Bugger, it means I have to go back one day with my TD20 to get the shot!

It will take some time before I have my footage finished. During the last 3 hours of flight between LAS and JFK I selected the good from the bad clips and cut a bit here and there, nonetheless the clips that came through the selection are almost countless...

And I have some ambitious plans for my editing. The first thing I could finish is a comparison Blu Ray iso between the TD-10 and TD-20 with and without Cyclopital SBE.

Last day of vacation tomorrow, flight KLM644 leaves for Amsterdam at 22:55. Arrive at home on Sunday around 13:00, back to work the Monday there after... 6 days in a row..
post #167 of 175 Old 06-24-2014, 03:08 AM

Finally got to see some of the footage, using the HDMI cable. For some strange reason my Optoma Beamer does not agree with my Sony Vaio: it will not recognize its output as being 3D content while my settings screen on the Vaio insists it is sending out 3D (using the Stereoscopic player). Once the TD10 is hooked up directly (albeit through a Yamaha AV receiver), the beamer agrees with 3D and gives a breath taking stereoscopic image. Which made me think. Why not render to exactly the same format as the TD10 has recorded if I will only play it on my beamer? What I would need for that is a media player that accepts the TD10 format m2ts as 3D and makes my Optoma 3D emitter accept it as such. I learned my current Iconbit does not. Nor does the Optoma want to accept the output from my Vaio. Anyone here that has tried it with a Medi8er?

Reasoning behind it is: superb crisp image directly from the TD10, no flicker none what so ever. Rendering toward 720p for some silly reason gives me the feeling I'm down grading the resolution... Though I do realise rendering also takes it from 50i to 50p when I render to 720 50p 3D BD iso... Is it technically so that the resolution of 1080 50i is exactly the same as 720p or not? I'm confused here. My gut feeling says I'm looking at interlaced footage of two cams build in one: two times 1080 25p interlaced to one 3D stream 1080 50i. If I have no flicker issues as a viewer and neither of my family members have, this feels like the best format to edit to. Then getting it to play becomes an issue and that is why I am looking for a Medi8er solution or something simular.

Hoping someone out there has a solution.

EDIT: sent Mede8er this question. Their answer: go buy a Sony Blue Ray player: BDP-S7200. According the technical specifications of this player, it ought to be able to do the trick. Just to be on the safe side here, I asked Sony if this player can give me 3D output whilst playing a Vegas rendered AVCHD .m2ts file, either from BluRay but prefferably from an external USB harddrive... To be continued. Oh, nice side effect: the player plays much more using UTP or WiFi, amongst others e.g. NetFlix.

Last edited by Bergj69; 06-24-2014 at 02:38 PM.
post #168 of 175 Old 06-24-2014, 03:36 AM

Oh, I forgot, playing back the footage of the TD20, I had to switch L and R to get proper 3D image. Does this mean that I have to switch L and R of the TD20 clips in Vegas as well? TD10 footage plays back perfect as is. And, obviously, I intend to use footage of both cams in one project...

I'll post this question in the Vegas 13 thread as well..
post #169 of 175 Old 07-15-2014, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I'm new to these Sony 3D camcorders and just played with a TD30 demo model in the store earlier today.
in the 3D mode how should the LCD display look like? I thought the image on the display was more 3D like rather than very sharp.
The displayed image had a bit of an offset just like when we look at a 3D video on a 3D TV without glasses. Is this normal?
post #170 of 175 Old 07-16-2014, 03:49 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by termite View Post
I'm new to these Sony 3D camcorders and just played with a TD30 demo model in the store earlier today.
in the 3D mode how should the LCD display look like? I thought the image on the display was more 3D like rather than very sharp.
The displayed image had a bit of an offset just like when we look at a 3D video on a 3D TV without glasses. Is this normal?
If you look at the display around a foot back it should look like 3d just like the 3ds ;0)
post #171 of 175 Old 07-18-2014, 07:49 PM

Thanks. I'll be getting a TD20 shortly and started reading about all these discussions here to
figure out what kind of a SW workflow would work for me. My 3D blu-ray player is Panasonic
DMP-BDT220 and I want to try and take highest quality possible into my two 3D displays.
A Panasonic 3D plasma and Epson 5030 Projector. For what I read in these forums there're lot
variables at play here and that's why I listed the exact equipment I have. I also have access to
Vegas Pro13 and also Power Director 12. I've never edited 3D so that'll also be a first for me

Any suggestions as to where to begin my 3D journey? I'm excited right now.. hopefully not
frustrated later
post #172 of 175 Old 07-19-2014, 05:27 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Thanks. I'll be getting a TD20 shortly and started reading about all these discussions here to
figure out what kind of a SW workflow would work for me. My 3D blu-ray player is Panasonic
DMP-BDT220 and I want to try and take highest quality possible into my two 3D displays.
A Panasonic 3D plasma and Epson 5030 Projector. For what I read in these forums there're lot
variables at play here and that's why I listed the exact equipment I have. I also have access to
Vegas Pro13 and also Power Director 12. I've never edited 3D so that'll also be a first for me

Any suggestions as to where to begin my 3D journey? I'm excited right now.. hopefully not
frustrated later
According to the specs this player will play Avchd 3D so I suggest try PD12 to start with as that should give you your full 3D quality using svrt as it only recodes transitions, effects and titles leaving most of your video intact. As my player won't do avchd 3D. I use Sony movie studio as it has smoother playback to Blu-ray 3D for me. ;0)

Last edited by guitarman512; 07-19-2014 at 05:40 AM.
post #173 of 175 Old 07-19-2014, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:

frustrated later

Being new to 3D myself and reading these forums and advice find Powerdirector 12 if you want 3D menus, or Vegas Pro without menus, or Vegas with dvdarchitect you can have 2D menus and mix 2D/3D clips, cheaper version is vegas studio platinum suite. Best way to see what you prefer is to download trials and try them. I personally use PD12 and Vegas Pro 12 suite, its down to what you wish to pay for software and to what extent you want to edit, quick and easy and simple to use is PD12, Vegas Pro more professional editing with a steeper learning curve, though there are loads of howto videos for both programs on the net and youtube besides tutorials on makers websites.
post #174 of 175 Old 07-19-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman512 View Post
According to the specs this player will play Avchd 3D so I suggest try PD12 to start with as that should give you your full 3D quality using svrt as it only recodes transitions, effects and titles leaving most of your video intact. As my player won't do avchd 3D. I use Sony movie studio as it has smoother playback to Blu-ray 3D for me. ;0)
This is what I was thinking too after reading the posts here..
I was looking to confirm if my player can play AVCHD2.0 3D but was not able to confirm that.
Your post gives me hope guitarman. I hope it's true.
I also have an OPPO BDP-83 but that's not 3D so not very useful here.
I have not used PD before but can get this if that's agreed to be the one which can work best in my
situation. Vegas Pro I use quite a bit for 2D editing so I'm more familiar with that.
post #175 of 175 Old 07-19-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shearer69 View Post
Being new to 3D myself and reading these forums and advice find Powerdirector 12 if you want 3D menus, or Vegas Pro without menus, or Vegas with dvdarchitect you can have 2D menus and mix 2D/3D clips, cheaper version is vegas studio platinum suite. Best way to see what you prefer is to download trials and try them. I personally use PD12 and Vegas Pro 12 suite, its down to what you wish to pay for software and to what extent you want to edit, quick and easy and simple to use is PD12, Vegas Pro more professional editing with a steeper learning curve, though there are loads of howto videos for both programs on the net and youtube besides tutorials on makers websites.
Thanks for all the tips. I already use Vegas pro with DVD architect for my occasional home video
projects (vacation, travel and community events etc). So far I've only used the 2D flow also including
a couple of multicam projects in Vegas pro. With the new 3D camcorder I'm excited about new things
I can learn to do. Also excited to see in your post that I can do mix 2D/3D clips in DVD architect.
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page