no sound with 3D BluRay. only popping noise? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 01-13-2012, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need help getting sound when playing 3D BluRay movies through my ps3. I have it connected through Monoprice Matrix 4x2 switcher with A output to projector and B output to receiver. Playing 3D games on the ps3 works as well as playing 2D BluRay movies. Even my DirectTv works through the switcher but for some reason I can't get any sound while playing 3D BluRays. All I get is popping noise from the sub and the receiver displays "no data" as if there's no source connected to it. I'm running all high speed HDMI cables so I'm wondering why its not working..

Any help is greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-13-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milez28 View Post

I need help getting sound when playing 3D BluRay movies through my ps3. I have it connected through Monoprice Matrix 4x2 switcher with A output to projector and B output to receiver. Playing 3D games on the ps3 works as well as playing 2D BluRay movies. Even my DirectTv works through the switcher but for some reason I can't get any sound while playing 3D BluRays. All I get is popping noise from the sub and the receiver displays "no data" as if there's no source connected to it. I'm running all high speed HDMI cables so I'm wondering why its not working..

Any help is greatly appreciated

Hi Milez

Silly question but i presume your reciever is only hdmi 1.3? I could well be wrong but the way you have it set isn't your matrix box really just behaving like a splitter in some way? In which case the reciever is getting upset about the 1.4 frame packed signal? If so your only work around might be to connect an optical as well and then change the ps3's sound settings to cater for optical when you want to run 3d. I put my ps3's output on a splitter for my 3dxl / yamaha rxv3900 and ran into a problem with the sound. Just a couple of cents anyway

Steve

TK421 why aren't you at your post?.......TK421 do you copy?
post #3 of 15 Old 01-13-2012, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Yes its a 1.3 HDMI receiver which is the reason for the switcher. But I don't think its the switcher otherwise it wouldn't work when I play 3D DirectTv, 3D games on ps3, and regular bluray movies on ps3.

I've read somewhere ps3 cannot pass HD 3D and HD audio at the same time but I don't know if that's true
post #4 of 15 Old 01-14-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:

Yes its a 1.3 HDMI receiver which is the reason for the switcher. But I don't think its the switcher otherwise it wouldn't work when I play 3D DirectTv, 3D games on ps3, and regular bluray movies on ps3.

I've read somewhere ps3 cannot pass HD 3D and HD audio at the same time but I don't know if that's true

Your assumptions on the other formats you have mentioned are incorrect. They not frame packed 1080p 60. My 1.3 amp happily passes through ps3 games in frame packed 3d after I made an initial direct connection to my 3dxl to set up 3d in the ps3 for example. The output res is only 720p I believe - therefore there is bandwidth to pass it inside 1.3 (it also doesn't output a 1.4 only edid to confuse the receiver in this instance). We don't have directv in aus but I think that may be sbs or top / bottom which are also not 1080p. Regular blu ray movies fit within 1.3 spec. With the more recent firmware updates the ps3 can pass hd sound and 3d at the same time but assuming you have kept it up to date I don't think this is your problem...

post #5 of 15 Old 01-14-2012, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

I just bought the ultimate wave in 3D BluRay so when I poped in the disk it updated me to version 3.72 which I think version 3.70 has what you are talking about to be able to pass HD audio and video. Before I had version 3.66 so after I updated it I tried it again and no sucess.

The reason I bought the switcher is because before my receiver would not pass the DirectTv 3D eventhough it was side by side so I figured it fixed all that.

I don't know but I'm frustrated as heII and I don't want to have to buy a new DVD player with 2 HDMI outs just to play 3D movies but right now the way I'm feeling I probably will just so I can get pass this.. Now if I do that and it still doesn't work I think I might just have a nervous breakdown. Lol
post #6 of 15 Old 01-14-2012, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Ive tried to search for this similar topic but no success in finding a solution.. Can maybe if someone can point me to a thread with this problem if you know any.. Like I said I found a couple but no solutions
post #7 of 15 Old 01-15-2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:

Ive tried to search for this similar topic but no success in finding a solution.. Can maybe if someone can point me to a thread with this problem if you know any.. Like I said I found a couple but no solutions

You probably like the idea of hd sound and 3d picture at the same time which is why you are going to this trouble (fair enough, i use a htpc to achieve this). As i said though, a simple optical cable connected to a spare amp av input if you have one will get you some ps3 sound with your 3d route via the matrix box to your display - without having to buy a second player. This is still pretty good at 1.5mbps. Theres no problem with using the hdmi for video and optical for sound at the same time. Its all configurable in the ps3. Would at least get you up and running anyway.

post #8 of 15 Old 01-15-2012, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...+ps3+bluray+3d

Here is a thread I found that closest matches my issue but yeah, the only 2 options discussed there are either running optical or getting a BluRay player with 2 HDMI outs...

I do appreciate the responses TK
post #9 of 15 Old 01-17-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Plug it up with the optical and call it a day.
post #10 of 15 Old 01-18-2012, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Plugged it... Haven't compared it to HDMI but sounds good to me
post #11 of 15 Old 01-19-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:

Plugged it... Haven't compared it to HDMI but sounds good to me

glad to hear it . If you set it to output DTS it will be at 1.5mbps. I believe the DTS version of saving private ryan on DVD was at that bit rate so don't think you will have too many complaints.

post #12 of 15 Old 01-20-2012, 05:32 AM

Ok so does this mean that I need to have the PS3 connected to the tv and my amp via HDMI and optical or can I connect the PS3 to the AMP via both HDMI and optical and just tell the PS3 to do audio via optical?

As I can't get this to work. I have it working with HDMI to tv and Audio via optical to the amp but as soon as I plug the HDMI cable to the amp I loose all sound.

I have a Marantz SR7002.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-20-2012, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

I accidently found out that if the HDMI and optical are both hooked up to the AVR I couldnt get any sound eventhough I had the Audio menu set to Optical Bitstream and not HDMI so I was pulling out the AVR to make sure I had the connections hooked up correctly in the back and the HDMI slipped out and "BAM" ther was sound. lol

I have my HDMI to my AVR running through a Monoprice switcher so when I want to watch a 3D BluRay I have to use optical so I turn off the HDMI out port from the switcher to the AVR so I can get optical sound.
post #14 of 15 Old 01-20-2012, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

here's a sticky on the ps3 that might help...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=931796
post #15 of 15 Old 01-21-2012, 04:35 AM

Quote:

I accidently found out that if the HDMI and optical are both hooked up to the AVR I couldnt get any sound eventhough I had the Audio menu set to Optical Bitstream and not HDMI so I was pulling out the AVR to make sure I had the connections hooked up correctly in the back and the HDMI slipped out and "BAM" ther was sound. lol

I have my HDMI to my AVR running through a Monoprice switcher so when I want to watch a 3D BluRay I have to use optical so I turn off the HDMI out port from the switcher to the AVR so I can get optical sound.

Yes most amps operate on a priority principle for each input - probably should have mentioned that . Its a good idea to use a completely different input on the amp for the optical output from the PS3 (like cd or md for example) if you have one. That way it isolates your preferred sound route for 3d from the existing sound / video route for 2d.

Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page