Sony BDP-S580 3D From USB - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-07-2012, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I just got this working, I have the Sony BDP-S580 3D bluray player and a Mitsubishi 73 inch TV with the 3D adapter and 4 TrueDepth DLP Link glasses.

Might I say this setup has worked wonderfully! I backed up my Avatar movie because it was very expensive when I bought it because it only comes bundled with the Panny's. I created a folder rip from the Bluray onto my hard drive, then I did the "AVCHD" trick (Moving the 'BDMV' and 'Certificate' folders into a folder called 'AVCHD'). I then plugged in the external hard drive (was one of those cheap ones with no power supply) and played the movie on the BDP-S580.

The result was a perfect running 1:1 copy of my 3D Bluray running off the external hard drive! The next test I will be running will be putting them in an UDF 2.5 ISO file using Nero Burning ROM so I can put some more BD3D backups on there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-08-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyphries View Post

Hey guys, I just got this working, I have the Sony BDP-S580 3D bluray player and a Mitsubishi 73 inch TV with the 3D adapter and 4 TrueDepth DLP Link glasses.

Might I say this setup has worked wonderfully! I backed up my Avatar movie because it was very expensive when I bought it because it only comes bundled with the Panny's. I created a folder rip from the Bluray onto my hard drive, then I did the "AVCHD" trick (Moving the 'BDMV' and 'Certificate' folders into a folder called 'AVCHD'). I then plugged in the external hard drive (was one of those cheap ones with no power supply) and played the movie on the BDP-S580.

The result was a perfect running 1:1 copy of my 3D Bluray running off the external hard drive! The next test I will be running will be putting them in an UDF 2.5 ISO file using Nero Burning ROM so I can put some more BD3D backups on there.

From the time it was new, did this BDP-S580 ever have any Sony firmware updates? I am not saying to do any updates. I am only asking if it ever had any.

Is there a place in the menu where you can read and tell us the firmware version of the BDP-S580?

"With Liberty, HDTV and Justice for all."
Richard Adams
post #3 of 13 Old 02-08-2012, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah actually I'm on the latest firmware. And sadly I couldn't do the ISO's. So what I'm doing now is putting AVCHD manager on the USB Ext HDD and pick the movie I want to watch.

I wonder if theres a way I can DLNA "AVCHD" folders and make it think it's a AVCHD disc? Or maybe stream the original iso's? I also wonder how are BD3D iso's so compressed but when you extract and repack into ISO you can't get it back to 50GB size?

Edit: There is also a place where you can see your firmware too, it's in system settigs just like the PS3. It's pretty cool!
post #4 of 13 Old 02-09-2012, 12:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah actually I'm on the latest firmware. And sadly I couldn't do the ISO's. So what I'm doing now is putting AVCHD manager on the USB Ext HDD and pick the movie I want to watch.

I wonder if theres a way I can DLNA "AVCHD" folders and make it think it's a AVCHD disc? Or maybe stream the original iso's? I also wonder how are BD3D iso's so compressed but when you extract and repack into ISO you can't get it back to 50GB size?

Edit: There is also a place where you can see your firmware too, it's in system settigs just like the PS3. It's pretty cool!

According to the Sony user manual, DLNA is limited to 2D SD. To stream isos and 3D, a box like the Realtek 1186 based units can be used.

I started a thread about boxes that stream 3D using the Realtek 1186, though it is about videos I make from my own 3D camcorder, including isos.

The reason for the expanded size of 3D is that 3D bluray disks use a file structure where two file names point to one video data stream. One is like a shortcut to another file. One is the name of the 2D file. The other is the name of the 3D file. But they actually point to the same video file, since MVC allows 2D and 3D to be the same file.

When the PC software moves this to the hard drive, this results in the video data stream being copied into separate 2D and 3D files, resulting in something that is twice as big. What would be needed to reduce the size, is to use a shortcut for one of the names, rather than copy the data for each name. There is no loss of compression. The doubled size is because of copying the same video stream twice, due to disk file structure.

"With Liberty, HDTV and Justice for all."
Richard Adams
post #5 of 13 Old 02-09-2012, 06:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 142
What Richard says is correct. I will only add that your experiments clearly not supported by what's in the manual. You should read page 30 where it describes what is supported. Would have saved you lots of time.
I only know of one BD player that used to support 3D iso from the local USB HDD. That was the OPPO BD 93 and I believe 95. But I understand OPPO has already released a new update to firmware that removes this support. I can't confirm that here as I have not yet taken the update so I can still play my Sony Vegas 3D renders as iso files. I also have the HiMedia 900B and this can stream those same iso 3D files across a LAN as well as play them from a local HDD. However, the LAN must be very fast to do this or you get lots of pausing.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-09-2012, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys!

What I'm trying to do now is trying to get just the 3D file only and remove all of the menus. So far I have to find the right .mpls file and extract the movie and it gives me the left eye and right eye .h264 files. I'm going to mux them to .mt2s and open with Powerdirector 10 and see where this takes me. Then maybe I can just burn it back on a 25GB disc in the future.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-09-2012, 05:01 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Adams View Post

...The reason for the expanded size of 3D is that 3D bluray disks use a file structure where two file names point to one video data stream. One is like a shortcut to another file. One is the name of the 2D file. The other is the name of the 3D file. But they actually point to the same video file, since MVC allows 2D and 3D to be the same file.

When the PC software moves this to the hard drive, this results in the video data stream being copied into separate 2D and 3D files, resulting in something that is twice as big. What would be needed to reduce the size, is to use a shortcut for one of the names, rather than copy the data for each name. There is no loss of compression. The doubled size is because of copying the same video stream twice, due to disk file structure.

I wonder what would happen if one were to remove the big duplicate files (the 2D M2TS files of the main title) from the folder structure since these are there for compatibility only. The SSIF files are used for 3D. Then you would be left with a structure about the same size as an ISO file. If one did this, would it play from a hard drive in the S580?
post #8 of 13 Old 02-09-2012, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure if that could work but when I'm done expirementing I could try it.

Right now the x264 decoding of the MVC right eye file is taking a long time. Once I get them into two seperate .m2ts files I'll see if there is a way to combine them in Powerdirector 10.

Also, I think you can convert FULL SBS files to MVC files usin PD10 but I haven't tried that yet either. More experiments!
post #9 of 13 Old 02-09-2012, 10:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Vegas Pro will take two stereo shot files and "pair" them to a 3D timeline that can be rendered to any number of 3D outputs, including iso without menus. PD10 has no pairing tools that I know of. It only has a 2D to 3D conversion tool. And, FYI, the process to make a stereo 3D file from two 2D files is called "pairing" Once you pair two files it is imperative that you calibrate them in a calibration tool as well. This will fix any disparity between the two and adjust your parallax for proper Z depth.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-09-2012, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the information!

I have both programs already actually, I'm going to try a number of different ways. I think I'm only using PD10 because it can input SBS files and might be able to get them to be in MVC.

But I will try Vegas Pro 11 to see if I can put the left and right stream together.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-18-2012, 12:22 AM

Quote:

Hey, is the AVCHD trick still working for you? I can't remember what I did the first time, but I was able to get a 3D AVCHD folder to play a while ago. Now the AVCHD folder is just showing up as a regular folder and will not play in 3D (I can still browse around and play the m2ts in 2D). I'm not sure if I'm missing a step or if the new sony firmware messed something up

btw, is there like a test AVCHD folder that I can download and copy onto my external drive?
post #12 of 13 Old 04-23-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyphries View Post

I have backed up my copy of Armageddon to a file folder on my hard drive. I see the two directories you described. I moved the directories into the AVCHD directory which is on my 64Gb thumb drive. The AVCHD Directory is under the directory "Blu Ray Rips">Armageddon>AVCHD. When I place my thumb drive into the front slot and navigate to the AVCHD folder, it won't play. "No playable media found". What am I doing wrong?
post #13 of 13 Old 10-19-2013, 06:32 AM

The AVCHD folder has to be in the root.

I'm generating AVCHD (2.0) structure from PowerDirector 11 and 12, I do mostly 3D using mt2s files from Sony HDR-TD10 camera.

What would be nice is to have all 3D movies from PowerDirector or copies you want from elsewhere on an external USB HDD and it works BUT you have to rename the root folder above BDMV to AVCHD of the movie you want to see... so plug the usb hdd to a laptop, change the folder name and reconnect to the Sony usb player...

What is weird from my point of view is why m2ts avchd 3D files when selecting from the usb drive by the player will only play in 2D?? The file is from the HDR-TD10 directly, why generating a AVCHD/BDMV directory so necessary... ?

Another comment, I also have a Sony XBR-65HX929. Weird, the USB port does not support NTFS structure (the S580 does) and won't play my 3D AVCHD/BDMV... One thing it was over the S580, is the YouTube apps, does play YouTube 3D vidoes and you can change the quality ot HD in the app.

Check my YouTube channel from within the YouTube app VE2FET. Or, this is a list of my YouTube 3D videos made with HDR-TD10 (not 60fps on youtube! :-)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1k2ZKuOLCLmjJO1kic6ir0n-6UZIp4jV

I'm interested in what you guys came up to so far?

Sylvain
Reply 3D Source Components

Tags
Sony Bdp S580 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Built In Wi Fi Accessory Kit , Sony 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S580
Gear in this thread - S580 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page