Dual Play - 2 Devices simultaneously - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-08-2012, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The Situation

My fiancé wants to play Call of Duty on the big screen with me. (this is why she's my fiancé, amongst other things)

The Problem(s)

Xbox Live split screen is terrible.
1. Xbox struggles - Added latency, dropped frames, etc.
2. Combined Audio. We hear each others sounds, this turns me into a paranoid wreck.
3. No voice comm. We can't hear each other talk because of headphones and it doesn't transmit our voice comm to each other over xbox live (Microsoft assumes you can hear each other just fine because you're next to each other).
4. Distracting to see the other persons screen constantly.
5. Cropped Field of View. The FOV is all messed up, so you're at a huge disadvantage.
6. Half Resolution. Because you're only getting half the screen, you're getting half the pixels.

My Solution!

Combine video from 2 Independent Consoles outputting their native 1080P@60Hz signal into one 1080P@120Hz 3D signal.
The signal from source one gets the odd frames, while the signal from source 2 is assigned the even frames. When the signal hits the screen at 120Hz each viewers glasses sync only with the even or the odd frames. I have attached a graphical representation of the scenario.

1. No struggle or dropped frames
2. Independant audio for each player
3. Hear each other through game chat
4. Only see your own screen!
5. Full field of view!
6. Full resolution!

New problem(s)
1. Need both lenses in each pair of glasses to sync only even frames or only odd frames. Are there glasses available that do this or do I need to get out my soldering iron?
2. What is the name of the box that combines the two video streams?

Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-08-2012, 10:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sounds like the Sony Playstation 3 SimulView feature. The only problem is that it's only available for certain games and for the Sony Playstation 3D display.

http://us.playstation.com/ps3/access...imul-view.html
post #3 of 6 Old 02-08-2012, 11:42 PM

it cannot work for several reason.
1) you need to sync Xbox output, and there is nothing for that yet.(or frame buffer in HD just cost the hell)
2) 3D systems are made to alternate left/right eyes, what you are asking here is to shut/open glasses for both eyes at same time, so the usual hardware will not fit here (and even at 60Hz, it will blink a lot)

The box you ask for is a multiplexer, but most multiplexer are just combining video signal to the same framerate , not adding. very few box do this and they are very expensive.

A simpler configuration would be to try with polarized glasses and dual projector (while if you get 2 projector, you better to get 2 screens, possibly in different rooms). The problem with polarized glasses is the filter extinction is not 100%, so you would always get a ghost of the other image visible.
And if each image is very different (not like 3D), it will surely be unwatchable, assuming such games have high contrast picture with lots of explosions.

projector are very cheap (few hundred at best), so if you plan to get a 2nd Xbox, the cost for multiplexer, glasses, screen etc... will be probably a magnitude more expensive than just buying a 2nd VP or a 65" LCD

A nice setup would be to put projector facing each other with a dual sided screen in the middle (or also back to back if you prefer to seat close the other player), so you can still play in the same room without seeing the other player's game

Or if you are ok to wear glasses, you could try some HUD display, while i am not aware of any at full HD yet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEy1K7-LzsU
post #4 of 6 Old 02-09-2012, 08:54 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthelove View Post

1. Need both lenses in each pair of glasses to sync only even frames or only odd frames. Are there glasses available that do this or do I need to get out my soldering iron?
2. What is the name of the box that combines the two video streams?

Dual view stuff keeps popping up, but currently it's not popular enough for anyone to just pick it up.

RealD did it a while back with their Dual Input Pod and Crystal Eyes 3D glasses. Unfortunately, the Pod was/is expensive (a little googling showed me a retail price of $2,000), and so were the glasses (I recently got a quote of $250 a pair). Additionally, the Pod outputs a checkerboard 3d signal.

LG and Philips have both recently shown some dual view TVs, but I do not believe either are out yet. Depending on how they implement it, the glasses they offer might work with other TVs.

XPand is considering adding the left eye only/right eye only option to their shutter glasses.

The Sony 3D glasses will do the left only/right only as well, but only when they detect a certain IR signal from the Sony SimulView monitor.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-09-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

My fiancé wants to play Call of Duty on the big screen with me. (this is why she's my fiancé, amongst other things)

Different suggestion- Why don't the two of you sign up and enlist in the Army, then volunteer for Ranger school. hooah!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don Landis
post #6 of 6 Old 08-12-2012, 10:39 PM

I have the same problem, I have an idea hope anyone can help

I have a LG 3d TV and have the capability to translate a SBS file to 3d by simply imposing the left an right area of the screen and sending them to 3d, it has the option to do this vertically an horizontally you just need to buy or mod 3d passive glasses (instead of L/R lenses you can get L/L and R/R so each will see a separate image) but i would like to do this with 2 xbox's on the same picture either by tranlating it to SBS or real 3d source (the difference is with SBS you get half the resolution and with real 3d full resolution) does anyone know if there is any hardware capable of joining 2 sources without Lag? (maybe surveilance hardware that shows 2 or more cameras on one screen)
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page