Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 58 Old 03-13-2012, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hi all,

I just received my 3D TV last week, Panasonic VT30, which only came with one pair of glasses. I'm trying to figure out what the 2nd pair should be, since right now my wife and I can't watch a movie together.

I've been following this thread hoping to pick up some data and make the decision. I'm still not sure though, which glasses are compatible with my television. Kalani, what are the Panasonic glasses you're referring to?

-JR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 Old 03-13-2012, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceRocket View Post

Hi all,

I just received my 3D TV last week, Panasonic VT30, which only came with one pair of glasses. I'm trying to figure out what the 2nd pair should be, since right now my wife and I can't watch a movie together.

I've been following this thread hoping to pick up some data and make the decision. I'm still not sure though, which glasses are compatible with my television. Kalani, what are the Panasonic glasses you're referring to?

-JR

Panasonic 3rd Generation 3D glasses. Model TY-EW3D3MU. (that last "3" tells you it's 3rd Gen, the "M" towards the end means size Medium)

Compare TY-EW3D3MU (3rd Gen): http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TY-E...=2SE1JG8WV7K6M

To the TY-EW3D2LU (2nd Gen): http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TY-E...8774698&sr=8-7

I won't bother with the 1st gen junk... many issues reported. I'd pass on the 2nd Gen, too, frankly... better to go with the Sony Playstation glasses.

In sum: If you can afford the relatively high cost, and can find a pair (eBay is a pretty sure bet, anything else is a long shot), the Panny 3rd Gen is the best.

In all other situations*, I'd get the Sony PS3 glasses: http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3-...1688507&sr=8-1

* If the PS3 glasses are just too heavy and uncomfortable, the SainSonic glasses are the best alternative that weigh less, but there is a minor impact on image quality.
post #33 of 58 Old 03-13-2012, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Hi all,

-JR

Any 3gen panasonic will do. 4th generation won't be compatible.

The second generation ones have a open side,(they are the ones that look spacey) which some say doesn't block any/enough room light.

The first generation, I understand, that there were issues with wearing them with regular eyeglasses, and that they were heavy, and dark.

Most of the Panasonic kits come with the medium size.

There are other 3rd party glasses that will work. But it appears that the IR active shutter type are going to go away for BT.
post #34 of 58 Old 03-13-2012, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I have the Xpands( the ones say for Mitsibushi but work great on my Panasonic) I like them a lot better then the PS3 glasses. I can't see spending the absurd amount that they are charging for the Panasonic glasses, I will stick with the Xpands.
post #35 of 58 Old 03-14-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys. I think I'll go with the 3rd gen Panasonics.

The Xpands look interesting, has anyone done a side-by-side comparison of the Xpands and the 3rd gen Panasonics? Kalani, I saw that you mentioned some sort of color-shift?

-JR
post #36 of 58 Old 03-14-2012, 10:53 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaidonjin View Post

I have the Xpands( the ones say for Mitsibushi but work great on my Panasonic) I like them a lot better then the PS3 glasses. I can't see spending the absurd amount that they are charging for the Panasonic glasses, I will stick with the Xpands.

would this be the X103 model?
post #37 of 58 Old 03-14-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks guys. I think I'll go with the 3rd gen Panasonics.

The Xpands look interesting, has anyone done a side-by-side comparison of the Xpands and the 3rd gen Panasonics? Kalani, I saw that you mentioned some sort of color-shift?

-JR

I can't remember where I saw it, but yes, that's what I read... similar to the SainSonic glasses in that regard, IIRC. I have not personally held the Xpand's in my hands, so I'm just going by the reviews I've read on that one.

Good thread being compiled here: http://www. [here you have to type the name of a competing high d e f "junkie" board that the AVS powers-that-be do not like] .com/showthread.php?12732-Panasonic-aftermarket-3D-glasses-reviews-compared-to-3rd-gen-Panny-glasses

The one advantage to the Xpands is that the lenses are larger (vertically), but frankly, I haven't had any issues with the skinnier lenses used by all other glasses, so I don't find that to be a compelling reason to take a hit in PQ. Also don't like that the Xpands use special disposable batteries instead of being rechargeable via simple USB cables, like most of the others.
post #38 of 58 Old 03-14-2012, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post

I can't remember where I saw it, but yes, that's what I read... similar to the SainSonic glasses in that regard, IIRC. I have not personally held the Xpand's in my hands, so I'm just going by the reviews I've read on that one.

Good thread being compiled here: http://www. [here you have to type the name of a competing high d e f "junkie" board that the AVS powers-that-be do not like] .com/showthread.php?12732-Panasonic-aftermarket-3D-glasses-reviews-compared-to-3rd-gen-Panny-glasses

The one advantage to the Xpands is that the lenses are larger (vertically), but frankly, I haven't had any issues with the skinnier lenses used by all other glasses, so I don't find that to be a compelling reason to take a hit in PQ. Also don't like that the Xpands use special disposable batteries instead of being rechargeable via simple USB cables, like most of the others.

Thanks Kalani, that thread was very helpful! I read through it in it's entirety, it was great to see the comparisons and hear the differences from that individuals point of view.

I'm going to go ahead and purchase the 3rd gen Panny glasses. Although they're pricier, that's fine. I'm purchasing the large size since I'm a fairly big guy (6'4, 200lbs) - accordingly my head is a bit larger. The glasses that came with my tv are the 2nd gen (TY-EW3D2MU) and are mediums. They're a bit tight on my head, so my wife can use those while I use the large 3rd gen ones. I'm happy to throw up my own thoughts between the two gens if anyone is interested.

-JR
post #39 of 58 Old 03-15-2012, 01:05 AM
AVS Special Member

^^ By all means, please post your comparison. More data!
post #40 of 58 Old 03-15-2012, 09:35 AM
GEP
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post

Just as a matter of accurate information, the battery used in Xpand X103 or 3DG-X103 glasses ARE NOT special batteries!!! They are standard CR2032 coin batteries available in drug stores, super markets etc in the camera/watch battery section. Also found in stores like rat shack. And can be ordered from the internet for low prices, http://www.bing.com/shopping/cr2032-...M=EGCA&lppc=16.

The advantage of replaceable batteries is if they die during a movie, it takes only a few minutes to replace and get back to the movie. Rechargeable take several hours to recharge, delaying the completion of the movie.
post #41 of 58 Old 03-15-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP View Post

Just as a matter of accurate information, the battery used in Xpand X103 or 3DG-X103 glasses ARE NOT special batteries!!! They are standard CR2032 coin batteries available in drug stores, super markets etc in the camera/watch battery section. Also found in stores like rat shack. And can be ordered from the internet for low prices, http://www.bing.com/shopping/cr2032-...M=EGCA&lppc=16.

The advantage of replaceable batteries is if they die during a movie, it takes only a few minutes to replace and get back to the movie. Rechargeable take several hours to recharge, delaying the completion of the movie.

Ok, as long as we're getting into the details of "accurate" information:

By "special" batteries, I meant they're not simple AA, AAA, C or D batteries, which are the only ones you be guaranteed of finding at any given time. It's true that CR2032 batteries are not especially difficult to come by, but no, not every supermarket carries them, and the price per battery is pretty ridiculous at retail locations (compared to online bulk purchases, if you think ahead and have time to wait for shipping). I happen to have large amounts of CR2032's on hand, but only because I use them for some specific purposes... but I promise you my mother would not be pleased about having to track down special batteries for her glasses. I'll bet a poll of people in this thread would reveal less than 50% of the participants have even heard of CR2032 batteries before, let alone know exactly where to find them on short notice.

As for the rechargeables, you are WRONG: There is no "several hours" of charging, EVER. A 30 minute charge delivers 25+ hours of use (that's a full charge, btw), so it's really not a hardship of any sort to charge them. In the unlikely situation where it does give out in the middle of a movie (purely user error, under the circumstances), a 5 minute charge gives 2.5 hours of use! Roughly the same amount of time it would take to locate and change the batteries for the Xpands, so again, no real advantage there.

And finally, while not a huge deal, there is at least some level of higher environmental impact for disposable batteries vs. rechargeables...
post #42 of 58 Old 03-15-2012, 12:41 PM

I just got my 2nd pair of 3rd gen Panasonic, the small ones, from shopblt. The small ones are in stock, they'll be getting large next week, and then mediums in April. There honestly wasn't much difference at all between the small and the medium pair I already had.
post #43 of 58 Old 03-15-2012, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

In regards to batteries, I try to keep all of my batteries rechargeable. Back in the day I used to have an almost monthly back of double AA's I'd drop off at the town battery recycling center. Seeing myself go through all of those batteries so quickly - and so often - made me realize that I had to transition over to rechargeable. I like the fact that the glasses are rechargeable. Having non-rechargeable wouldn't be a deal breaker, but for me it'd be a bit of a nuisance, both physically and morally. To each their own however.

I do agree to the underlying point you're making Kalani, that all of this 3D technology is complicated. Two year ago my brother and sister in laws chipped in to buy my in-laws a new TV for their living room. They got rid of an old CRT that had blown a color, and replaced it with a plasma. It was tough enough to get them used to using that thing. I can't imagine how tough it'd be to get them to use a 3D television - figure out what glasses to buy - understand that there are incompatible glasses - determine there are different generation glasses - realize that they had to buy what I would refer to as "non-standard" batteries...

My two cents. Either way, I'm just pleased that I ordered some glasses. It's a bit of a bummer that my wife and I have this nice new TV, but we can't watch a 3D movie at the same time! That in itself shows how overtly complicated this 3D process is.

-JR
post #44 of 58 Old 03-17-2012, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP View Post

They say they will do about 100 hrs on each battery, They give you 3 to start. I am 10 hrs in so far, trying to keep track. If they do 40 or 50 hrs, that would be pretty good.
post #45 of 58 Old 03-18-2012, 08:12 AM

I thought Panasonic was coming out with a new 4th generation 3d glasses this March, and were going to be priced at $25?? anyone hear about those? My wife flipped lastnight when I told her that our #D Christmas tv from Santa will need glasses that cost $25. She is such a cheapie!
post #46 of 58 Old 03-18-2012, 09:52 AM

$75 and they are for the 2012 models only via bluetooth
post #47 of 58 Old 03-18-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorkev View Post

I thought Panasonic was coming out with a new 4th generation 3d glasses this March, and were going to be priced at $25?? anyone hear about those? My wife flipped lastnight when I told her that our #D Christmas tv from Santa will need glasses that cost $25. She is such a cheapie!

4th generation not compatible with the older tvs. If you want to future proof yourself there are expo combination glasses that are both ir and bt but they are (I think) $125 but you can get them customized.
post #48 of 58 Old 03-18-2012, 12:58 PM

well, I guess wherever I read $25 they must have typoed the "2" for a "7" Now the wife will definitely be pissed LOL
post #49 of 58 Old 03-20-2012, 05:34 AM

hometheater shack commented that their 4th Generation glasses worked with an IR only TV the Sharp ELITE. I sent off an email to Jim Reilly the Panasonic contact for the Universal 3d glass initiative to confirm or not that these 4th Gen glasses do indeed leave the thousands of Panny current clients in the lurch.

I did bite the bullet and buy a set of 3rd Gen Medium Panny's at the local Futureshop (as I heard that they are rare) and tried them last night on YouTUBE 3d. Content not great but they really work well with no discernable crosstalk. Even the 2D-3D was OK.

Now I want to get the 2012 Panny 3d player likely the 320 and finally to see my free Avatar the way it was meant to be seen.
post #50 of 58 Old 03-20-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiremite View Post

hometheater shack commented that their 4th Generation glasses worked with an IR only TV the Sharp ELITE. I sent off an email to Jim Reilly the Panasonic contact for the Universal 3d glass initiative to confirm or not that these 4th Gen glasses do indeed leave the thousands of Panny current clients in the lurch.

I did bite the bullet and buy a set of 3rd Gen Medium Panny's at the local Futureshop (as I heard that they are rare) and tried them last night on YouTUBE 3d. Content not great but they really work well with no discernable crosstalk. Even the 2D-3D was OK.

Now I want to get the 2012 Panny 3d player likely the 320 and finally to see my free Avatar the way it was meant to be seen.

Insiders from Panasonic have confirmed, on other sites, that the new 4th Gen glasses are Bluetooth only, and only work with 2012 Panasonic 3D tv's and forward, which will now use Bluetooth instead of IR to connect to the TVs.

Panasonic is manufacturing one more batch of 3rd gen IR glasses for the 2011 and prior TVs, and then that's it. Anyone with an older set who needs more glasses after that will have to look to third party solutions like the Playstation glasses, SainSonic, and Xpand.
post #51 of 58 Old 03-20-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:

The Avatar disk offer ended with receipts dated last month and postmarked the end of this month. 2012 panny players don't offer Avatar.

Many people bought the Panny 3D sets because they had superior 2D, not because of the 3D. Most good 3D current content is animation or really grade B- movies, e.g. "Conan The Barbarian" and that Harold/Kumar gag fest. Hugo was the best 3D of 2011. If Titanic in 3D is a hit, it might bring some more adult interest.
post #52 of 58 Old 03-21-2012, 10:10 AM

I got Avatar last year when I bought my Panny Plasma. Bought it for 2D no interest in 3d. But bought the glasses since I felt the urge to splurge and my XBOX Gears of War 3 is 3d. I just played it for 4 hours in 3d. It was really a very entertaining and immersive experience. HUGO and Avatar are great big screen 3ds, so am interested in how they look. I also liked the art films Cave of Forgotten Dreams and Pina both in 3d.
post #53 of 58 Old 03-21-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I got Avatar last year when I bought my Panny Plasma. Bought it for 2D no interest in 3d. But bought the glasses since I felt the urge to splurge and my XBOX Gears of War 3 is 3d. I just played it for 4 hours in 3d. It was really a very entertaining and immersive experience. HUGO and Avatar are great big screen 3ds, so am interested in how they look. I also liked the art films Cave of Forgotten Dreams and Pina both in 3d.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing Pina in 3D on my 65ST30. I haven't heard any news on when it will be released, but I assume sometime this year.
post #54 of 58 Old 03-26-2012, 02:58 PM

So let me get this right before I order a pair for my 7000 pj.
I need the TY-EW3D3MU or TY-EW3D3ME glasses to work correct??
Any recomendations on where to buy?
Thanks!

Monday......6 days a week???
post #55 of 58 Old 03-27-2012, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredman View Post

So let me get this right before I order a pair for my 7000 pj.
I need the TY-EW3D3MU or TY-EW3D3ME glasses to work correct??
Any recomendations on where to buy?
Thanks!

I ordered mine through Visual Apex . com...

No problems with stock. I think they are $89 each.

If you order 5 or more accessories, (like cables, glasses, etc.) you get 10% off everything, so they work out to be $80 each.
post #56 of 58 Old 03-27-2012, 10:36 AM

Ordered Panny's 3MU off Ebay ($67 a pair). will know soon enough if they do the job. No 3d player yet, the Sony S590s in stock but the new Pannys are still waitin. Bought last pair of Panny 3rd Gen glasses at Futureshop in Toronto, 3d just blows away Halo Anniversery edition on the Xbox and Gears of War 3. My son keeps saying, how can this get any better?!
post #57 of 58 Old 10-15-2012, 09:44 AM

I must say the 3d performance on a Panasonic plasma is a bit lacking. Using Panasonic VIERA TY-ER3D4MU. Granted the glasses dont cost as much as on the sony Bravia I used before which was about $300. Most of my experience I will limit to theatre and Sony Bravia. I must say the 3d on the TC-P50ST50 Panasonic plasma lacks a bit of the depth i'm used to seeing. The picture just does not jump out off the screen. There is perceived depth when looking at objects behind the subjects closest to the screen. The distance from the screen appears to affect the depth as well.

Some things i noticed about the 3d on a panasonic plasma. The glasses make the display really dark. You need to crank the contrast to 100% and still the display is pretty dim. This may contribute to the lacking depth. Having said that, the display tends to buzz a little while its that bright. The other thing is viewing at 60hz exhibits some crosstalk depending on the content. Switching to 48hz helps but makes the picture flicker depending on the film and can cause headaches. I am still searching for 3d settings that may help the quality of the image but I seemed to have tried everything. Users of the new panasonic models will know that if you brighten the display you expose some of the dithering with this display. So cranking everything very bright shows noise on skin tones in brighter scenes so setting the panel brightness to high from mid is not an option.

The 3d on panasonic display ST50 models is a bit lacking to say the least especially if you are used to everything jumping out at you from the screen. As far as the glasses themselves, they are okay not too comfortable as they fatique the bridge of the nose. They also dont wrap around the ear that well. Something thats annoying is if you switch to 2d content the glasses will turn off automatically then you have to turn them off and on again to re-sync. Some movies watched are Avatar, Alice in Wonderland, IMAX Hubble, Shrek 3d.

Please share your experiences.
post #58 of 58 Old 10-16-2012, 02:36 PM

I have a GT25 model plasma, and I haven't noticed the 'lack of depth' you mention. While the screen is certainly darker with the 3d effect and the glasses on. On my model the settings that Panasonic promoted for watching Avatar in 3D, did have a 80 setting for contrast. I usually watch with the curtains drawn, and ambient light very low. There's few tv's that can compete with bright lighting. My friends have a newer huge Aquos which is pretty good in bright light (they have a lot of windows and skylights, but they don't have 3D.

James Cameron's settings for Avatar on Panasonic GT25 everything is + unless specified

Contrast 80
Brightness 55
Color 32
Color temp Warm2
Video NR Off
Blur reduction off
WB high R -3
WB high B -5
WB low R -3
WB low B -2
Gamma adjustment 2.4
Panel Brightness High