Panasonic 3D glasses... What am I missing!!??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 58 Old 02-12-2012, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I drop $2,400+ on a 65vt30 and the company doesn't stock enough 3D glasses? I am really pissed off i didn't just get a Samsung instead. I've searched everywhere for the Panasonic TY-EW3D3MU model and it's like searching for the holy grail!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old 02-12-2012, 08:29 PM

i hear ya, i got my panny just after x-mas. I called all the best buys and picked the last one at one store and and spotted another at another store.

Careful when buying these glasses. THE medium will prbably fit you, they are a good size and still gigantic on my 4 year old head.

What is really funny is that these stoores dont stock the small size. GUESS WHAT, like 90% of ALL the 3d movies are ANIMATED. GUESS WHO WATCHES THEM???

C'mon retailers, wise up and stock the small size too!!! PAnny tells me they are having a world wide shortage - WOWO great planning on pannys part. SICK.
post #3 of 58 Old 02-13-2012, 08:52 AM

I had the same problem and the glasses I did find in stock were very expensive , like $100 for a pair. Try the xpand x103's , they are compatible and have gotten amazing reveiws almost everyplace I read about them , they can be bought on amazon and are almost half the price. Worth a try to start watching 3d and if you end up not liking them you can return them via amazon or use them as a pair for guests.
post #4 of 58 Old 02-14-2012, 12:51 PM

I feel your pain, having just bought a 55VT30. I purchased 2 pairs of the universal Sony PS3 3D glasses from Amazon, liked them better than the panny's that came with my TV, so ordered 2 more pairs. You can find them here for $54.94 shipped.

I listen to everything, I just don't say anything.
post #5 of 58 Old 02-15-2012, 06:54 PM

You might try ProjectorPeople.com. I bought both the Panasonic and Expand 104 glasses from them in the last couple of weeks.
post #6 of 58 Old 02-16-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfli100 View Post

You might try ProjectorPeople.com. I bought both the Panasonic and Expand 104 glasses from them in the last couple of weeks.

MaxFli -- how do the 2 glasses compare?? Panny vs. Xpand 104? Are they comparable? Do you like one pair over the other?
post #7 of 58 Old 02-16-2012, 07:36 PM

The pannys are lighter and a smiggn brighter, but then lens is very small. The Expand 104's have a much bigger lens and they cover my entire viewing area. Both have there pros and cons, but I find myself using the Expands more. One other thing, I don't wear prescription glasses but if you do, I think the panny's would be the better set due to the extra spacing inside the frame.
post #8 of 58 Old 02-22-2012, 02:29 AM

Brought this up in another topic but what the heck...

Try Paul's TV. Just found 2 TY-EW3D3LU's in stock at my local store which I'll be picking up tomorrow. Their website doesn't show anymore in stock but call the number on their website and the person on the phone can check the stores in the area.

Anyone have any experience with the Large 3rd gens? I'm not sure if they'll be too big. I don't care if I have to use a rubber band to keep it from falling but my main concern is if the lenses are going to be too far apart and limit the viewing area. I don't know anything about glasses sizes, how to take measurements, etc. so I can't tell by looking at the dimensions.

So regarding the Xpands, the Xpand 104's you guys are talking about are called "Xpand YOUniversal" right? I'm seeing them go for $119 on their site ($105 on amazon if these are the right ones). My TY-EW3D3LU's are going to cost $80 each. Are the Xpands better when it comes to the 3D picture?

Also, anyone have any experience between other 3rd party 3D glasses (besides the Xpands)? Seems like SainSonics are getting 4/5 on reviews. Sony PS3 3D glasses apparently work but not sure how well. Saw some brand called "Blick" as well but also saw a few people say they work good for the first 1 or 2 weeks and then go bad. Anyone have any experience with any of these?

EDIT: So I just got the TY-EW3D3LUs and found no problems with it, even though they're the larger size. Viewing area and fit were fine. I plan to get the PS3 3D glasses when the TV comes, though the TV is a whole 'nuva story.....
post #9 of 58 Old 02-29-2012, 07:44 AM

the Epson glasses work really well with the panasonic tv's
post #10 of 58 Old 02-29-2012, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Cost Captain.com has the Panasonic 3D Eyewear TY-EW3D3MU in stock for $71.99

post #11 of 58 Old 02-29-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe View Post

Cost Captain.com has the Panasonic 3D Eyewear TY-EW3D3MU in stock for $71.99

thats a dead link. booooo
post #12 of 58 Old 03-01-2012, 12:46 PM

I found some in stock online but the model # is different.

Same packaging but the model number is TY-EW3D3MC instead of TY-EW3D3MU.

Does anyone know what the deal is here? Is there a difference between MC and MU?
post #13 of 58 Old 03-01-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwrong View Post

thats a dead link. booooo

Costcaptain.com isn't a dead link.
post #14 of 58 Old 03-01-2012, 02:46 PM

how do you know they're in stock though? I've seen some websites that don't say anything about them being on backorder but when I've inquired I've found out that they are.
post #15 of 58 Old 03-01-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsound8 View Post

how do you know they're in stock though? I've seen some websites that don't say anything about them being on backorder but when I've inquired I've found out that they are.

That I don't know. I would hope the guy who said they were in stock there at least called first.
post #16 of 58 Old 03-02-2012, 03:23 AM

fwiw, yesterday feb 28 2012 B&H Photo has the 3rd gen large Panasonic glasses in stock. $99 this is the first time in 3 months. B&H # PATYEW3D3LU Mfr# TY-EW3D3LU
Cardboard case, removable rechargeable battery, on off switch. Has a 2D button for eye strain (blocks every other image both eyes?)
post #17 of 58 Old 03-02-2012, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissonance79 View Post

Costcaptain.com isn't a dead link.

The website says they have some in stock. But I checked a few reviews for that site on resellerratings and I'm a bit worried by what I'm reading. First off, they seem to have a habit of selling stuff that they actually don't have in stock. Secondly, they have a rep replying to negative comments. Nothing wrong with with that of course but I damn near dropped a load when I noticed one of these replies included a screenshot of a dissatisfied customer's order info, including their full name, invoice number, and last for of their credit card! They don't have a phone number either so if you have issues you'd have to deal with them through email.

If someone's brave enough to try them, let us know how it goes. That $70 would be the best price I've seen them at.
post #18 of 58 Old 03-02-2012, 09:05 AM

okay so update on the TY-EW3D3MC vs TY-EW3D3MU thing...

the 'C' at the end indicates China. The 'U' at the end indicates US.

they're at a fair price of $159 for a pair with free shipping from China.

I'm always nervous about buying things from China but is there any reason these wouldn't work with the US VT30s?
post #19 of 58 Old 03-02-2012, 12:52 PM

Most likely the "C" are grey market goods not officially intended for the USA that the mfgr may refuse warranty service. There's no reason they won't work

Quote:

okay so update on the TY-EW3D3MC vs TY-EW3D3MU thing...

the 'C' at the end indicates China. The 'U' at the end indicates US.

they're at a fair price of $159 for a pair with free shipping from China.

I'm always nervous about buying things from China but is there any reason these wouldn't work with the US VT30s?

post #20 of 58 Old 03-02-2012, 01:54 PM

so PAL/NTSC whatevs wont make a difference?
post #21 of 58 Old 03-02-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:

so PAL/NTSC whatevs wont make a difference?

whatever the number of lines displayed has nothing to do with the glasses whose lenses are darkening on and off. The glasses must sync with the IR signal from the hdtv which can be any number of frame values on either system depending on the content, hdtv model (3 generations now) and player settings. Even the U ones are for me a gamble, since I have a GT25 (2nd Gen) set which doesn't do 24p very well.

Remember most of any crosstalk issues can be adjusted with the depth setting o n the Panasonic tv or the player.
post #22 of 58 Old 03-03-2012, 11:57 AM

good info, thanks!

I ended up finding some open box US version panasonic glasses so they're on their way.

finally!
post #23 of 58 Old 03-04-2012, 11:58 AM

Panasonic TYER3D4MU
Active Shutter 3D Glasses, Compatible with 2012 Panasonic TVs Only
Transmittance Method: RF (Bluetooth)

post #24 of 58 Old 03-06-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazybear View Post

Anyone have any experience with the Large 3rd gens? I'm not sure if they'll be too big. I don't care if I have to use a rubber band to keep it from falling but my main concern is if the lenses are going to be too far apart and limit the viewing area. I don't know anything about glasses sizes, how to take measurements, etc. so I can't tell by looking at the dimensions.

EDIT: So I just got the TY-EW3D3LUs and found no problems with it, even though they're the larger size. Viewing area and fit were fine. I plan to get the PS3 3D glasses when the TV comes, though the TV is a whole 'nuva story.....

Can anyone else compare the medium with the small and large glasses? I already have a pair of mediums and they seem pefect, but trying to get a second pair of those for a decent price isn't easy; so, I was thinking about buying one of the other sizes instead.
post #25 of 58 Old 03-06-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintx View Post

Can anyone else compare the medium with the small and large glasses? I already have a pair of mediums and they seem pefect, but trying to get a second pair of those for a decent price isn't easy; so, I was thinking about buying one of the other sizes instead.

Large is the hardest size to find. Most places don't have any stock or are saying that it is discontinued. I can say that the large fit nicely over my regular glasses.
post #26 of 58 Old 03-07-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsidlov View Post

Large is the hardest size to find. Most places don't have any stock or are saying that it is discontinued. I can say that the large fit nicely over my regular glasses.

I went ahead and ordered the small since the site I ordered them from believes they'll have them at the end of next week. Also, it's more likely that if someone's watching a movie with me, it'll either be a female, a child, or my youngest brother who, despite being 20, is still very small in stature; so, hopefully the smaller size will come in handy. I have an order for another pair of mediums as well, but it doesn't look like it will be filled anytime soon. I wear prescription glasses as well, maybe I should change that order to a large so I'll have 1 of each.
post #27 of 58 Old 03-12-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I own both the Sony Playstation 3D glasses and the 3rd Gen Panasonic glasses.

3D performance is the same. No detectable difference between the two when watching content. The Panasonics seem a hair less dark when you're looking directly at the lenses, but once they're on your face and the TV is playing a show, you can't tell the difference, visually... both are excellent.

The Panny's are a LOT lighter and thus more comfortable to wear for an extended time. My wife has a tiny face and was complaining a little towards the end of a movie with the Sony's. She was willing to watch another 3D movie (at another time, after having some time to rest between), so not the end of the world, but she's MUCH happier with the Panasonic 3rd Gen glasses. Bear this in mind if you're planning to buy for a child... they may feel more like she did than me. The weight of the Sony's didn't bother me, as a large guy, but I still noticed the Panny's were more comfortable, to be sure. When we have viewing parties I give my wife the Pannys, and I give my guests first pick of the Sony vs. the remaining Panasonic.

Medium Panny's fit both of us just fine, over our prescription glasses. Same for the PS3 glasses.

There are minor differences between the two, but nothing to write home about. (longer charging cable on the Pannys, soft case on the Sony vs. no case on the Panny, stuff like that) But the above is the most important info.

The Sony's are cheap, just over $50 ATM on Amazon, and readily available... I think I saw them for full retail price ($70) at BestBuy if you need a pair NOW. The Panny's are hard to find and getting harder.

The SainSonic's are supposedly quite comfortable, but users have reported a slight green tint that is actually noticeable while watching through them. The Xpands also showed a color shift that neither the Panasonics nor the Sony's showed.

At this time, I wouldn't bother with anything other than Panasonic or Sony, depending on what you can find, afford, and what fits you.

I've love an extra couple Panny glasses just so we can invite more than two people over for 3D viewing parties, but I doubt I'll want to spend that much on others, so when I get around to it, I'll probably pick up a couple more of the Sony's.
post #28 of 58 Old 03-13-2012, 05:47 AM

Quote:

whatever the number of lines displayed has nothing to do with the glasses whose lenses are darkening on and off. The glasses must sync with the IR signal from the hdtv which can be any number of frame values on either system depending on the content, hdtv model (3 generations now) and player settings. Even the U ones are for me a gamble, since I have a GT25 (2nd Gen) set which doesn't do 24p very well.

Remember most of any crosstalk issues can be adjusted with the depth setting o n the Panasonic tv or the player.

I'm going to respond to myself since I've recieved the glasses and watched Avatar 3D on my GT25.

I wear frame-less glasses and the large size fit nicely over them without touching, the frame is not as tall as my glasses which is a issue that can be ignored. These are light at 27g and comparable to my extra light titanium frame-less ones which are only 12g or my 20 gram work-around-the-house pair - neither of which have a usb port or a battery.

The distance from the TV is described as having a minimum of 3x the height of the TV, and the unit is described to have a 10.5ft range. My TV's 3D IR port is at eye level as the TV base is 5ft off the ground on a pedestal type AV cabinet. I think that this height, as well as those people who mount on walls will find that the unit will work at a greater distance.

Crosstalk and the 3D effect itself is totally dependent on the location you are sitting in the room and the depth setting on the player. 35 degrees to the side is the recommenced maximum. I played around with the Panasonic BDT210's depth controls and I have to say that I liked the effect of the negative distance settings, where the effect seems to be inside the TV rather than coming out of it. The TV's frame made it look like you were viewing a diorama. -4 started to cause ghosting, but -3 was fine as was +2, but it seemed exaggerated. I simply don't understand the frame options (a shady reduction in the picture size and one that made the picture look rounded).

The glasses have a blinking red LED. It blinks every four seconds during operation. Not noticeable to the user unless the person next to them is much shorter. The unit will auto shut off if the IR signal is lost within 5 minutes as well as a off switch. There is a switch setting to turn 3D to 2D if you are watching 3D and someone has visual issues with 3D. The LED turns on when the unit is charged and off when the unit is fully charged. A rapid blink is a battery defect (though I wonder how long that can last since the battery's bad). The TV's USB ports (if your're not using them) can be used to charge the units. (This seems a pretty good idea, as they are not plugged in all the time, and will trickle charge when you turn on the tv and are not using them.)

IT's a shame there isn't some sort of holder for them that attached to the TV. I suppose that you could get a stepped spice rack and put some felt/padding on it.
post #29 of 58 Old 03-13-2012, 05:57 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post

I own both the Sony Playstation 3D glasses and the 3rd Gen Panasonic glasses.

3D performance is the same. No detectable difference between the two when watching content. The Panasonics seem a hair less dark when you're looking directly at the lenses, but once they're on your face and the TV is playing a show, you can't tell the difference, visually... both are excellent.

The Panny's are a LOT lighter and thus more comfortable to wear for an extended time. My wife has a tiny face and was complaining a little towards the end of a movie with the Sony's. She was willing to watch another 3D movie (at another time, after having some time to rest between), so not the end of the world, but she's MUCH happier with the Panasonic 3rd Gen glasses. Bear this in mind if you're planning to buy for a child... they may feel more like she did than me. The weight of the Sony's didn't bother me, as a large guy, but I still noticed the Panny's were more comfortable, to be sure. When we have viewing parties I give my wife the Pannys, and I give my guests first pick of the Sony vs. the remaining Panasonic.

Medium Panny's fit both of us just fine, over our prescription glasses. Same for the PS3 glasses.

There are minor differences between the two, but nothing to write home about. (longer charging cable on the Pannys, soft case on the Sony vs. no case on the Panny, stuff like that) But the above is the most important info.

The Sony's are cheap, just over $50 ATM on Amazon, and readily available... I think I saw them for full retail price ($70) at BestBuy if you need a pair NOW. The Panny's are hard to find and getting harder.

The SainSonic's are supposedly quite comfortable, but users have reported a slight green tint that is actually noticeable while watching through them. The Xpands also showed a color shift that neither the Panasonics nor the Sony's showed.

At this time, I wouldn't bother with anything other than Panasonic or Sony, depending on what you can find, afford, and what fits you.

I've love an extra couple Panny glasses just so we can invite more than two people over for 3D viewing parties, but I doubt I'll want to spend that much on others, so when I get around to it, I'll probably pick up a couple more of the Sony's.

Thank you for the great review, as I found it very helpful. I own a 55ST30 and watch on a PS3 as well. I wanted to know if the PS3 glasses performed as well as the Panasonics....
post #30 of 58 Old 03-13-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

IT's a shame there isn't some sort of holder for them that attached to the TV. I suppose that you could get a stepped spice rack and put some felt/padding on it.

Probably quite cheap to pick up a sunglasses display stand for cheap on eBay, the kind they use at the optometrists or drug store to display multiple pairs of sunglasses on a countertop. Would make for a nice display.

Better idea, however (IMO), to keep the glasses in a hard box of some sort, considering they're not cheap and could be damaged by children, pets or careless guests relatively easily. I keep mine in drawstring microfiber bags (cheap on Amazon) to protect from scratches and fingerprints, and then inside a simple wooden box about the size of a cigar box.
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page