Best 2d to 3d converter boxes - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 51 Old 02-27-2014, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I have been very impressed with the conversion quality of the KanexPro. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I recently picked it up for a song. It's now my favorite converter (compared to Tridef, Oppo BDP-103D, and PowerDVD 13 Ultra). Very natural-looking conversion, practically every shot shows a decent 3D effect, and many shots are spectacularly good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 02-27-2014, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by retepano View Post

Yes the samsung player did not have 422 output.
I couldn't believe how good it looks.
I have tried samsung 3d conversion ,power10,3d bee converter even had the sensio processor .These added some depth but not worth the hassle.
So i had alot of doubts about the teranex.All these doubts went away when i put the first blu ray in .
Some part of return of the king looked so deep like 30 feet deep in the screen.
Its so good i refuse to watch 2d blu ray again !

I'm being told by a certain retailer in new York State that the Black Magic 2D to 3D converter is HDCP compliant through HDMI. Is it?

It may now be a fraction of its previous price; however, it is still pretty expensive for mere mortals. This thing will have tho be really good to be worth the investment. I'm presently watching everything on the Mits 8000 or 7900 -- I prefer its 2D to 3D conversion over 2D every time. Does the Black Magic allow for negative parallax or is everything converted to positive parallax and kept behind the screen? The 2D to 3D conversion on the Mits creates positive parallax only.
post #33 of 51 Old 02-28-2014, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No but there's ways around that.

It works great on movies like return of the king, troy,braveheart,thin red line ,planet of the apes,
waterworld ,127 hours,into the wilderness and remastered westerns.Watch cliffhanger last night look very deep like native 3d.
3D suits these type of movies with good back ground scenery than other movies.

Its positive parallax It looks great more natural no sharp edges like other converters even more natural than native 3d !
Its a a very good deep 3d picture easy on the eyes.NO POPUP BOOK LOOK.like its not trying to be 3d if that makes sense.

I hope you get to demo the teranex and please tell me what you think.
post #34 of 51 Old 03-03-2014, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxrh View Post

I have been very impressed with the conversion quality of the KanexPro. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I recently picked it up for a song. It's now my favorite converter (compared to Tridef, Oppo BDP-103D, and PowerDVD 13 Ultra). Very natural-looking conversion, practically every shot shows a decent 3D effect, and many shots are spectacularly good.

How good is it at placing objects properly in the image (In a spatial sense)?
post #35 of 51 Old 03-04-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

How good is it at placing objects properly in the image (In a spatial sense)?

So far, it has been superb. I haven't seen a shot yet that had an unnatural look to it. However, I have not had time to spend watching very many converted movies. So far, I've seen Peter Jackson's KING KONG, STAR WARS, and THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. All three, especially KONG, looked very good indeed, noticeably better than my previous favorite converter (PowerDVD 13 Ultra).

I've been busy watching native 3D instead of conversions. Now that I've got GRAVITY behind me, I intend to return to the KanexPro. RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK is next on my list.
post #36 of 51 Old 03-17-2014, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I have the projector : Optoma HD25LV recently buy OPTOMA BG- glasses 3D RF GLASSES ZF2100GLS also have the BG- BC100B Optoma 3D -RF emitter VESA cable.

WHEN I CONNECT THE SPOTLIGHT WITH MY LAPTOP WITH FOLLOWING SPECIFICATIONS:
My Laptop model: HP PAVILION DV4
                      Processor : AMD Turion (TM ) II Dual -Core Mobile M520
                      2.30 GHz
                      RAM : 4.0 GB
                      graphics cards: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200
                      Windows 7 Service Pack 1

PROJECTOR MAKES NO SIGNAL IN 3D AND THE BG- BC100B Optoma 3D -RF emitter NO SIGNAL SEARCH STOP , THAT IS NO BLUE LIGHT BULB . ( TO CONNECT WITH PS3 IF EVERYTHING WORKS IN 3D .

MY QUESTION IS WHAT I'M DOING WRONG WITH LAPTOP ? ?:eek:
PLEASE HELP WITH THIS ...
ME WONDERED WHAT I NEED :

I need BUY????:confused:

1 - 3D GRAPHICS CARD NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 ?

2 - JUST BUY THE CONVERTER BOX :
       OPTOMA - XL
       VIP - Theater 3D Converter for 3D Ready DLP Projectors

3 - POSSIBLY THE SOLUTION IS A SONY DLC- HE20HF CABLE HDMI 1.4 ? ?

>>>>>>>>>>>>APPRECIATE ANY HELP ME A LOT TO KNOW ....
                            I HOPE SOME HELP.....HELP ME :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: 

post #37 of 51 Old 03-17-2014, 07:00 PM

You don't want to get a 3D-XL or VIP-3D box as they are designed to work with HDMI 1.3 or "3D-Ready" projectors. The Optoma HD25-LV projector (which I own) is an HDMI 1.4 "Full HD 3D" projector..

Why not go the simplest route by using a standalone 3D Blu-ray player instead of a PC?
post #38 of 51 Old 04-08-2014, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 58
BlackMagic Teranex 3D Processor!!!!!

I want to give a thumbs up to the BlackMagic Teranex 3D Processor. I do not believe there is another processor available that can come close to this product. It was money well spent even though I was skeptical myself of the cost.

This piece of electronic equipment must be seen to be believed. The conversion process of the Teranex gives a 3D picture to my eyes that is just short of the look of Native 3D and I feel it's as good or better than any post 3D conversion film that I have seen. I'm an avid fan of 3D and have seen most films that are available in 3D, so I've been able to compare the quality, both from Theater showings and my own Blu-ray collection. This is special to me since I now can watch any of my 2D movies in 3D whenever the mood strikes.

So if others out here really enjoy 3D, I would say start doing the research on it and equipment compatibility. I had assistance from Cineramax who answered my questions.

Good luck!
post #39 of 51 Old 04-08-2014, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
kimg1453: Just for grins, can you possibly record some output and put it on youtube.
post #40 of 51 Old 04-08-2014, 07:30 PM

threed123,

Sorry, I don't have that capability and really don't want to mess with youtube stuff.

I know locations for previewing this processor are probably limited and I admit to doing a blind buy myself, but I was aware of Teranex from years ago, just after they were allowed to move this type of technology out of military applications and it was demoed at an electronics show.

Up until BlackMagic bought them out not too long ago, the processor was still around 70 to 80K and mainly used in Broadcast. BlackMagic was able to put most of the original Teranex processing into this unit. It's incredible that they were able to accomplished this and my hats are off to them. This product is unbelievable and well worth the money. On a side note, this does a heck of a lot more than just 3D simulation. Just check out their site.
post #41 of 51 Old 05-31-2014, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone tried the 2D to 3D conversion of PowerDVD14? I'm just wondering if the conversion has been improved. There was a large improvement in PowerDVD13 over PowerDVD11.
post #42 of 51 Old 06-01-2014, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I have tried it. It gives you a lot of 3D impact, but not accurate. I have tried MPO stills and compared them to JPGs of the same image in 3D conversion, and they are nowhere near the original 3D image. That said, if you do not know the scene and have nothing to compare to, it's better than 2D ;o).
post #43 of 51 Old 06-06-2014, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:Originally Posted by threed123 

I have tried it. It gives you a lot of 3D impact, but not accurate. I have tried MPO stills and compared them to JPGs of the same image in 3D conversion, and they are nowhere near the original 3D image. That said, if you do not know the scene and have nothing to compare to, it's better than 2D ;o).

Thanks for your comments. I now have a trial copy of PowerDVD14 and the 2D to 3D conversion IMO has to be* (corrected) improved. The conversion in the Mits 7900/8000 projector is much better.

Last edited by Deja Vu; 06-22-2014 at 05:17 PM.
post #44 of 51 Old 06-12-2014, 12:39 AM

I'm not following what you meant to say here, DV. I have PowerDVD13 and was thinking about upgrading to 14, but I also wanted to know if the conversion has been improved. Are you saying that the 2D to 3D conversion of PowerDVD14 (while still not as good as the Mits) is better than PowerDVD13?

EDIT: To clarify my point, you say "the 2D to 3D conversion IMO has to been improved." Did you mean to say "has been improved" (that's what I figure you meant) or did you mean "has to be improved" (to meet or beat the Mits converter)? Or maybe something else that I'm not understanding?

Last edited by fxrh; 06-12-2014 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Clarify a statement
post #45 of 51 Old 06-16-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxrh View Post
I'm not following what you meant to say here, DV. I have PowerDVD13 and was thinking about upgrading to 14, but I also wanted to know if the conversion has been improved. Are you saying that the 2D to 3D conversion of PowerDVD14 (while still not as good as the Mits) is better than PowerDVD13?

EDIT: To clarify my point, you say "the 2D to 3D conversion IMO has to been improved." Did you mean to say "has been improved" (that's what I figure you meant) or did you mean "has to be improved" (to meet or beat the Mits converter)? Or maybe something else that I'm not understanding?
Just to clarify: I found that the 2D to 3D conversion of PowerDVD13 was a big improvement over PowerDVD11. I've now tried PowerDVD14's conversion and I don't think there's much improvement over what PowerDVD13 offered. You can sample what PowerDVD14 has to offer for free for one month. Check out its website. The Mits IMO has much better 2D to 3D conversion than any of the PowerDVD options.

Part of this hobby is to keep pushing for improvements without bankrupting oneself. Keeping that in mind I'm always looking for something better.
post #46 of 51 Old 06-19-2014, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks to Kimg 1453, Cineramax and a friend I now have the Teranex up and running. This is great 2D to 3D conversion. Its a bargain compared to its price a few years ago but still expensive for most of us mere mortals. So far its been worth the price of admission.
post #47 of 51 Old 06-22-2014, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

O.K. I've now had some time with the Teranex. This processor is in a class by itself. I've thrown everything I've got at it to try and stump it and the Teranex can handle all of it without a problem. The 2D to 3D conversion of the Mits is my second favourite; however, there are certain scenes that caused it some problems. I threw those scenes at the Teranex and it handled them all without a hiccup -- amazing. IMO the Mits conversion is a big step up from PowerDVD13/14 and the Teranex is a big step up from the Mits.

The concert of The Killers at the Albert Hall looks spectacular in 3D. Movies like; Minority report, The 5th Element, The Golden Compass all look very good converted.

The real test is to watch some scenes from a 3D movie in 3D and then go back and re-watch those same scenes in 2D converted to 3D by the Teranex. I did this with 300, Rise of an Empire and Dredd and they looked just as good (if not better) converted! I'm extremely impressed and somewhat relieved.

It definitely is a leap of faith to purchase something that's relatively expensive sight unseen. I hedged my bets by purchasing from a retailer who offered a thirty day return period. No chance this thing is going back.
post #48 of 51 Old 06-22-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
IMO the Mits conversion is a big step up from PowerDVD13/14 and the Teranex is a big step up from the Mits.
Glad to hear that you're pleased with the Teranex. I'll have to shove a few more pennies in the old piggy bank before I can get one, but I'm tempted after your review.
post #49 of 51 Old 06-23-2014, 06:26 AM

Thumbs up

fxrh,

I can assure you it's the best 2D to 3D converter available. As I mentioned previously, it's incredible what the unit can do and I prefer alot of 2D movies I have in converted 3D. It works with anything, Blu-ray and DVD.

Save those pennies as I did. Ha!
post #50 of 51 Old 06-23-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimg1453 View Post
fxrh,

I can assure you it's the best 2D to 3D converter available. As I mentioned previously, it's incredible what the unit can do and I prefer alot of 2D movies I have in converted 3D. It works with anything, Blu-ray and DVD.

Save those pennies as I did. Ha!
I concur. I'm now through the honeymoon period and I'm still in love with this thing. The more I use it the more impressed I am with it. Material that tripped up other 3D converters I've used is no problem for the Teranax -- a walk in the park. Price wise, this 3D processor is now in reach for most of us -- you just need to make it a priority. The way I look at it now is simply this: so many great 2D movies to watch in wonderful 3D but so little time. Seeing my favourite 2D movies again in really, really, really good converted 3D is like seeing them again for the first time but better. This is quickly becoming one of my favourite purchases ever. Skyfall looked great in 2D and simply looks amazing in 3D. The only caution I have is that if you're planning to get into 4K soon then a 2K processor may be wasted money. Me, I perfectly happy with BD 1080p and as long as I can feed my passion with that, then I'm happy.

Edit:

Here's a short review of its pros and cons:

Cons -- noisy (like a projector in high fan mode), menu is only O.K. not all that intuitive, no remote at all, needs an immediate firmware upgrade to get it operating properly, which can be downloaded from the Black Magic site, it comes with no accessories whatsoever, not even a power cord, apparently you need to feed it 4:2:2 colour space (Oppo BD player allows this option) and 1080i and last but not least it is not HDCP compatible so you'll need to find a solution for this issue.
Note: If you're into pop out (negative parallax) you're going to be disappointed. The Teranex only handles positive parallax (behind the screen).

Pros -- absolutely amazing 2D to 3D real-time conversion. Since I was able to get it set up and working (with a little help from my friends) then it should be easy for most of you. There are two settings for 3D -- depth and intensity and they both seem to make noticeable changes to the image. Some material responds well to higher settings while with other with material you can dial these settings back.

I suspect that over the next few years other great lower cost solutions will appear depending upon demand. All in all the Teranex's 3D is very natural looking and does what it should do -- add accurate, natural appearing depth to the image, which for me helps draw me into the story. This is simulated 3D and not "real" 3D but for 2D purposes its so good that you'll forget it's not the real thing. It has been termed 2.75D and that's probably a good analogy -- it stands up really well to the real thing and its so good that for 2D purposes it is the "real" thing.

Last edited by Deja Vu; 06-24-2014 at 06:06 AM.
post #51 of 51 Old 07-21-2014, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought I'd add some comments to my above post having now spent some considerable time with the Teranex 2D to 3D real time processor:

1) The 3D effect is not as strong as studio 3D, although with some 2D material it can come pretty close.

2) Unlike all the other converters I have used the Teranex does not make mistakes in converting 2D into 3D -- at least any I have seen, which IMO is a staggering accomplishment.

3) For me, studio 3D somehow exaggerates the 3D we see in real life -- there seems to be more space between objects and their places and spaces better defined. In real life I don't see objects literally stepping out in a scene and drawing attention to themselves. The Teranex's conversion to 3D looks more like real life to me. I'm drawn to the studio look of 3D, especially for storytelling; however, I certainly prefer what the Teranex does over 2D.

4) I believe that the studios are now using gamma correction to "brighten up" their 3D movies since so much light is lost through the glasses. I have both versions of The Need for Speed and the 3D version appears to have been "fixed" for 3D. When I compared the 3D version to the 2D version, which I converted to 3D with the Teranex, the differences in the darker scenes were striking -- this comparison was made using the same equipment without adjusting any settings.

5) I watched Beowulf in 2D converted to 3D the other night. I had seen this movie at the theatre in 2007 in 3D. The Teranex's conversion was extremely effective. It handled all the tough scenes without missing a beat: 1) reflections off water and shields; 2) scenes shot from overhead; 3) snow falling behind, on and in front of objects all at the same time; etc. What the Teranex couldn't do was project objects out of the screen (negative parallax). I distinctly recall a number of instances in the movie, when I saw it at the theatre, where objects leapt out at the audience (arrows being shot, spears hurled and so on). These scenes were still very effective as converted from 2D to 3D, just not literally in your face.

6) With the exception of the built-in converter found in the Mits projectors the Teranex is the only 2D to 3D real time converter I can actually relax with and enjoy. The advantage of this processor over everything else I have seen is the lack of artifacts -- it is simply not a concern. If 3D is your thing then this processor opens up an enormous library of 2D material to be converted to 3D.

If this processor interests you and you have the available funds then I would recommend you purchase from a retailer that has a return policy so you're not stuck with an expensive piece of equipment that may not meet your expectations.
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page