Best 2d to 3d converter boxes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 50 Old 02-26-2012, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I would like people to share their experiences of external 2d to 3d converter boxes like:
- 3d bee (http://www.3d-bee.com/)
- monoprice (http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2)
- himax (http://www.himax.com.tw/en/product/pd3dproj.asp)
- egreat (http://egreat88.en.made-in-china.com...er-3D100-.html)
- imports (http://www.dhgate.com/wholesale/3d+c...Fcjc4AodykcqQA)

(http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?IndexArea=product_en&SearchText=2d_to_3d_converter_box&moq=-1)

- IoGear 3D Complete+ (http://www.iogear.com/product/GHDSSW4/?src=HPBanner)
- others?

BD player with 2D to 3D conversion:

Panasonic

Samsung

LG

Sony

Software converter for PC:
PowerDVD12 Ultra
DVDFab http://www.dvdfab.com/2d-to-3d-converter.htm
TriDef 3D http://www.tridef.com/cart/product.p...3&cat=2&page=1

It could be a good idea to post the movies that gives the best and worst results so people can compare their converter with them.

Maybe we can come up with a best-of list in the end?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 02-26-2012, 06:27 PM

Liked: 12
You don't have any soft converters listed, so I thought I'd mention PowerDVD12 Ultra, which includes a soft conversion built in.

I'm very new to 3D, and Whn I first bought PowerDVD I didn't realize the functionality was included. So when I put in my first 2D BluRay and it popped out on the screen I was confused....I figured the box just wasn't bragging about it and it was a simple mistake.

A few days later I learned what had happened...and I had to do a double take, and try another 2D disc. WOW, it works quite well....and I'm very pleased at not having to spend more $$$ on HW conversion
post #3 of 50 Old 02-27-2012, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miahallen View Post

You don't have any soft converters listed, so I thought I'd mention PowerDVD12 Ultra, which includes a soft conversion built in.

....and I'm very pleased at not having to spend more $$$ on HW conversion

Thanks for the info. Is a fast PC required? Are there a lot of adjustments?
post #4 of 50 Old 02-27-2012, 04:04 PM

I don't know how much power is needed, my PC is cutting edge, so I'm no good for testing it with lower specs. I'll have to get back in and check the adjustments on my next day off. I'm also planning to do some A-B comparisons since I have some multi-disc sets with 2D and 3D versions of the same movie, too see how effective the conversion is, compared to the native 3D.
post #5 of 50 Old 02-27-2012, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I don't know how much power is needed, ...

Great idea, hope to hear the results!
post #6 of 50 Old 02-27-2012, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

While we are at it, how about a comparison of these boxes to the built-in 2D to 3D converter features that come with competing TV brands and their Blu-ray 3D players?
post #7 of 50 Old 02-28-2012, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTV View Post

While we are at it, how about a comparison of these boxes to the built-in 2D to 3D converter features that come with competing TV brands and their Blu-ray 3D players?

Sure. The list will be bigger but it might save people time and money!
post #8 of 50 Old 02-28-2012, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Are there any sites where one can upload a photo to see it converted in 3D (red/blue glass or others)?
post #9 of 50 Old 02-29-2012, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

I am trying to find a store where I could see a few in action in the Montreal area. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
post #10 of 50 Old 03-01-2012, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

I hope this thread becomes more active soon!
post #11 of 50 Old 03-01-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:

I don't know how much power is needed, my PC is cutting edge, so I'm no good for testing it with lower specs. I'll have to get back in and check the adjustments on my next day off. I'm also planning to do some A-B comparisons since I have some multi-disc sets with 2D and 3D versions of the same movie, too see how effective the conversion is, compared to the native 3D.

So I did a bit of A/B comparisons today. I mentioned earlier that I'm still pretty new to 3D, so my impressions should be taken as a grain of salt....but here they are nonetheless I used Captian America chapter 6 for comparison. I went back and forth between the versions several times and played with the depth slider in PowerDVD a bit.

equipment used:
CPU = i7 2600K at stock settings (3.8GHz for BluRay playback)
GPU = nVidia GTX 580 at stock settings (405MHz for BruRay playback)
Windows 7 x64 Professional SP1
PowerDVD12 Ultra
nVidia 3D Vision with IR emitter and 3D Vision 2 glasses
Acer H5360 1280x720 DLP projector (no crosstalk )

Captian America 2D
CPU Utilization approx 18%
GPU utilization approx 33%

Captian America 2D/3D conversion
CPU Utilization approx 22%
GPU utilization approx 28%

Captian America 3D
CPU Utilization approx 6%
GPU utilization approx 6%

2D/3D conversion VS native 3D:
IMO, both version added similar amounts of depth and seemingly in the right places. However, pop-out was a bit better in the native version, specifically when Agent Carter is shooting her gun at the oncoming car, the bullet explodes out of the muzzle towards the screen and it really popped in the native version but was much flatter in the conversion.

Where the native 3D really stood out was in the natural feel. With the conversion there was a noticeable amount of strain to view the image. And it never felt like the entire scene was coherent in my brain. Not sure if that makes sense....but I sit very close to my screen (1:1 viewing distance to screen width, both about 85"), so maybe that exacerbates the effect. But with native 3D, I never felt the need to look around each scene for coherency...it just felt natural.

On another note, I'm not sure if other 2D/3D converters do this, but the converstion process consumes about 8% of screen width (approx 3 inches on each side in my setup). So overall, the image was noticibly smaller with the conversion.

I hope this is helpful
post #12 of 50 Old 03-03-2012, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

So I did a bit of A/B comparisons today... I hope this is helpful

Great stuff, thanks!
post #13 of 50 Old 03-04-2012, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

I wonder if there are 2d to 3d converter that can be used to burn a 3D blu-ray from a DVD or blu-ray?
post #14 of 50 Old 03-05-2012, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Also people might post their TV/Projector 2D to 3D conversion quality/impressions.
post #15 of 50 Old 03-12-2012, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

A person mentioned that the image quality of the 3D-bee may not be super compared to the 2D to 3D conversion of the Epson 5010 3D projector in this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=21769276
post #16 of 50 Old 09-16-2012, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Hi Paul, it irritates me that this particular thread never really took off. .....So I'm primarily posting here for the sake of jump-starting it. wink.gif

I own an '08 Samsung HL-61A750 LED DLP paired with a Mitsubishi 3DC-1000 3D adapter. The Mitsu adapter converts any of
the "modern" 3D standards (side by side & top/bottom frame packing) to the "Checkerboard" format. Pre 2011 '3D Ready' RPTV
DLPs only support Checkerboard.

Been very spoiled by the loads of native 3D Blu-ray movies and games experienced on the PS3.

Now I am very interested in experimenting with one of the various 2D to 3D converter units. Based on my research so far, Monoprice's
device seems to be the best *price:performance:build quality* bargain. Although some reviews claim that the PS3 does not detect it as
3D capable, while others state that there were no compatibility issues.

What all of these current gen converters seem to have in common is that they are decent at simulating spacial depth. Unfortunately not
very good at foreground pop.

There are also several units which do not support active 3D (shutter) output, but rather the old fashioned anaglyph only.

Hoping that others will eventually get around to posting their experiences.
post #17 of 50 Old 09-16-2012, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Here's another vote for PowerDVD 12 Ultra, which runs circles around any other 2D-to-3D converters I've seen (much better than the conversions I see on the HDTVs at the stores, and it is also signifcantly better than the Samsung 3D-Bluray player, which in turn is vastly superior to the Panasonic 3D-Bluray players).

I've been enjoying 2D-to-3D conversion since PowerDVD 10 Ultra, and one of the advantages of this approach is that the two software upgrades (11 and 12) have brought major improvements to the conversion. I didn't want to be locked in to a hardware converter where upgrades would be unlikely or nonexistent.

The major negative is that I went through a lot of headaches getting my home theater PC to work correctly for each iteration of the software. In fact, as much as I love the results, I'd probably recommend the Samsung player as an alternative to folks who don't "enjoy" spending hours configuring and reconfiguring a PC.

On the other hand, I'm spoiled by the conversion results. Here are some of my favorite converted movies:

On Bluray:
Any of the STAR WARS movies
Peter Jackson's KING KONG
SPIDERMAN 2 (I've played the elevated train fight sequence more than any other -- at least forty times!)
STARSHIP TROOPERS (the bug attack on the compound and the spaceship shots are absolutely incredible)
THE WIZARD OF OZ (you feel that you're walking around Munchkinland with Dorothy at your side)

On DVD:
The original HOUSE OF WAX with Vincent Price (I have to keep reminding myself that it's a conversion -- it's that good)

One more thing: the point made earlier that "pop-outs" don't work with conversion software is true. But the sense of depth works superbly and is very natural.
post #18 of 50 Old 09-17-2012, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have a Panasonic 3D BDT 110 Player, LG D2342P 3D Monitor with Tri Def 2D-3D conversion software and PowerDVD 9,11 and 12 Ultra and Adaptsonic 3D HD converter external box. The Pana 110 and the Adaptsonic 3D conversion is about the same. The Tri-Def is not as good as the PowerDVD conversions.
post #19 of 50 Old 09-17-2012, 08:47 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualpaul View Post

I wonder if there are 2d to 3d converter that can be used to burn a 3D blu-ray from a DVD or blu-ray?
Yes, there are some software can convert 3D video to 3D blu-ray video and burn into Blu-ray disc . This kind of software belong to Blu-ray Creator.
post #20 of 50 Old 09-18-2012, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGTweed View Post

The Pana 110 and the Adaptsonic 3D conversion is about the same.

Which unfortunately implies mediocrity.

Regardless, I decided to take a chance on the latest revision of an HD-Hynudal converter (Adaptsonic's manufacturer ). Supposedly it outperforms the Monoprice.

In addition, a Darbee Darblet is on the way. Hopfully my daisy chain of devices will compliment each other nicely.
post #21 of 50 Old 09-18-2012, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxrh View Post

I've been enjoying 2D-to-3D conversion since PowerDVD 10 Ultra, and one of the advantages of this approach is that the two software upgrades (11 and 12) have brought major improvements to the conversion. I didn't want to be locked in to a hardware converter where upgrades would be unlikely or nonexistent.
The major negative is that I went through a lot of headaches getting my home theater PC to work correctly for each iteration of the software. In fact, as much as I love the results, I'd probably recommend the Samsung player as an alternative to folks who don't "enjoy" spending hours configuring and reconfiguring a PC.

Thank you for your incite. A couple years ago I custom built a powerful PC (still fast by today's standards) . I have absolutely no desire to integrate it as a full-fledged multimedia center.

I am one of those who does not want to be inconvenienced during what should be a relaxing experience. ....Hence my preference for precisely calibrated, dedicated hardware.
It's so nice just to "set it and forget it".
post #22 of 50 Old 01-28-2014, 12:28 PM

post #23 of 50 Old 02-07-2014, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I have used PowerDVD13 Ultra -- I found it to work quite well but caused some eye strain. It works better with some movies and not so well for others. I have also used the 2D to 3D conversion in the Mits 7900/8000 DLP projector. This is my favourite conversion by far. Not perfect but very accurate conversion with no eye strain. I am watching my favourite 2D movies over again in 3D and its a real treat.
post #24 of 50 Old 02-08-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 39

I am an expert with the Teranex, had a five minute argument over it with James Cameron, and a month later the people from his studio went to the booth at nab and something went down cause I got a unit on extended loan due to that.
Above is a 2 zone vc-100 Doremi d3d and ghx -10 (75,000 each.) installation in One Hyde Park , the premier residential address in London.

The little 3,900 unit of which there is one for sale here rocks. Sure the sony Bravia 4k has a decent converter but it still has occlusion errors, when what should be in fornt is in the back and viceversa. Only the teranex is free from occlusion errors, it is abargain.
post #25 of 50 Old 02-09-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I'd love to see the Black Magic converter in action. It would have to be extremely good to justify a $4,000 investment. I'm not sure how you make a purchase like this without seeing a demo first and no doubt that's tough to arrange.
post #26 of 50 Old 02-10-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

In my last cinema install the screen is so big it occupies your entire field of vision, almost too close for the front row. For kaleidescape there is a 2d option and a 3d option, guess what the 3d option really is, it works 95% of the time to where it is preferable as your eyes are focusing up to15 feet into the screen.

post #27 of 50 Old 02-19-2014, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

I have used PowerDVD13 Ultra -- I found it to work quite well but caused some eye strain. It works better with some movies and not so well for others. I have also used the 2D to 3D conversion in the Mits 7900/8000 DLP projector. This is my favourite conversion by far. Not perfect but very accurate conversion with no eye strain. I am watching my favourite 2D movies over again in 3D and its a real treat.

I just ordered a KanexPro for a giveaway price on a certain auction site. I'm curious as to how it will stack up against PowerDVD 13 and the Oppo BDP-103D converter. Do you have any experience with it?

I'm intrigued by your comments here and elsewhere about the Mits 7900/8000, but even with the reduced price of the 7900, it's a lot of money for me to spend strictly for 2D-to-3D conversion. I'm also concerned about brightness as I may have been spoiled by the (alleged) 3200 lumens of my Optoma HD25-LV compared to the (alleged) 1500 lumens of the 7900.
post #28 of 50 Old 02-26-2014, 05:54 PM

The Blackmagic Teranex review .

What a great converter !!!!
I can not believe how good this is!!!!
Is it as good as native 3d?Well out of 30 native blu rays i got, the teranex beats all except for maybe 4 or 5 native blu rays !!!
It looks very natural,some of the scenes from return of the kings are mind blowing!!!! troy,brave heart ,thin red line,all looked great!!

Thanks to cineramax for all his help and answering all my questions.

I will report back when i do more testing.
post #29 of 50 Old 02-26-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I told you so guys...

Glad you made it work, Samsung was the culprit.

Yes the return of the king is insane the elephant part specially. I know the teranex beats clash of the titans hands down.

Thin red line... ah my 5 minute teranex argument with Cameron at 2011 Cinemacon. after 2 minutes into the discussion I told him that I knew why he wanted to convert titanic. that the scenes of the big ships cutting water looked incredible, but I was trying to remember the name of the movie, and drew a blank, and he is looking anxious, and blasted "if you are going to come to critique better be prepared" to which I said: the heady guadalcanal movie, and after 10 seconds hollered: the thin red line! That was fun . A month later his studios bought some at nab, and I got a loaner.
post #30 of 50 Old 02-26-2014, 06:51 PM

Yes the samsung player did not have 422 output.
I couldn't believe how good it looks.
I have tried samsung 3d conversion ,power10,3d bee converter even had the sensio processor .These added some depth but not worth the hassle.
So i had alot of doubts about the teranex.All these doubts went away when i put the first blu ray in .
Some part of return of the king looked so deep like 30 feet deep in the screen.
Its so good i refuse to watch 2d blu ray again !
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page