Need 3D Blu Ray that play's iso dvd+r discs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-31-2012, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
Just got my first 3d hdtv (first hd). I also need to buy a 3D blu ray SOON, but I have a lot of DVD+Rs ripped from iso files. I also want one that gets Netflix so I can run the streaming Netflix through my 3d bee.

I was going to buy an OPPO BDP 93, but saw that is doesn't support ISO now. Does that mean it won't play my iso dvd+r disks? If so what's a good 3d blu ray player that will? Will most other 3d blu rays play these iso disks or will most not? Which should I get. Also, can I run my old DVD through the OPPO to upscale the disks image? Will my Samsung UN55D7900 upscale it if I plug the DVD into it (i'm actually planning on getting a digital AV receiver with Upscale, will that improve the old DVD picture?)?

I do want to rip DVDs and now Blu Rays again, I've been too busy for a year or so (moved and mom died), and will ask how to do this in the changed media world in another post later. If all the blu rays won't play ISO files then I guess I'll need to abandon ISO unless I find a good player that will play ISOs.

What should I do?

Is there a 3D blue ray player that plays ISOs, and has Netflix? Which is best?
Can I run my old DVD player through the OPPO, or another device to improve the picture, and if so how, and should I do that and buy the OPPO using a new ripping process in the future? Also, if I got the OPPO could I turn off the firmware updates to avoid the ISO from deactivating, or is it too late to do that now?

If possible I'd like to get a good 3D blu ray player with Netflix that plays ISO discs and files, and is somewhat cheaper than the OPPO, but is still quality. If there's one that's still somewhat expensive but plays ISOs, gets Netflix, and is good quality I'll still get it.

Also, is there a good non 3D blu ray player without Netflix or wifi I could get, or a good non 3D blue ray player without wifi I could get that will improve the dvd+r picture, maybe even let me watch blu ray and 3d blu ray isos, but is reasonably priced, and I could get the OPPO or another Netflix wifi player on top of that one? I keep seeing forums talking about Media players that play ISO, could I play a dvd through one of those, or is that just for the ISO video file? I don't understand all the new digital stuff.

Please give me an idea of what I should do, and what I should buy, soon if you can. I'd like to buy it before the week is over. I want to set up my first digital system.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-31-2012, 07:05 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunderbeck View Post

Hi,
Just got my first 3d hdtv (first hd). I also need to buy a 3D blu ray SOON, but I have a lot of DVD+Rs ripped from iso files. I also want one that gets Netflix so I can run the streaming Netflix through my 3d bee.

I was going to buy an OPPO BDP 93, but saw that is doesn't support ISO now. Does that mean it won't play my iso dvd+r disks?

Welcome to AVSForum.

ISO is the native file format of optical discs. Any player that accepts DVD+R supports that, including OPPO.

The feature removed from the OPPO BDP-93 recently was ISO as a media file, something where you could have multiple disc images on a hard drive. No Blu-ray player that I know of supports that, although many media server products still do.

-Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #3 of 12 Old 04-01-2012, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Hi,
OK, if I buy the OPPO my old dvd+rs ripped into ISOs by DVD shrink, and turned into disks by Decriptor will work on OPPO. It doesn't matter if an ISO file was used to copy a dvd; it will still play, but I can't play the file off the disk, is that right?

I read someone's review that the OPPO played recorded meadia terribly, and didn't connect to Netflix very well. Is that true?

If that's so is OPPO really worth it? Is there another good, less expensive, 3d BR Player that will also play my DVD+Rs made from ISOs, and play them well? Is there another one that can connect with Netflix better, and do all the basic stuff well with a better than average picture for BD, DVD, and Recordable media. Most of what I will watch is recordable media from iso, and what ever program I use to rip dvds in the future. The reviews from consumers make all the players look bad.

Should I get OPPO? Does it play recordable media better than most unlike the review said, or is there a 3d player better for my needs. With good general operation, and good Netflix connection?

Give me your options and tell me why. Also please confirm that the iso burned disks will play. I'm very new to the HD stuff.
Thanks
post #4 of 12 Old 04-01-2012, 05:19 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

Hi,
OK, if I buy the OPPO my old dvd+rs ripped into ISOs by DVD shrink, and turned into disks by Decriptor will work on OPPO. It doesn't matter if an ISO file was used to copy a dvd; it will still play, but I can't play the file off the disk, is that right?

Correct to both.

Quote:

I read someone's review that the OPPO played recorded meadia terribly,

No, that's not the general opinion here at the forums. Maybe they had an unsupported file type?

Quote:

and didn't connect to Netflix very well.

People use it and at least some like it. There are a lot of variables in online streaming. I have no personal experience.

Quote:

If that's so is OPPO really worth it? Is there another good, less expensive, 3d BR Player that will also play my DVD+Rs made from ISOs, and play them well? Is there another one that can connect with Netflix better, and do all the basic stuff well with a better than average picture for BD, DVD, and Recordable media. Most of what I will watch is recordable media from iso, and what ever program I use to rip dvds in the future. The reviews from consumers make all the players look bad.

Check the OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE thread. Look at the last few pages. If you don't see what you want, ask your question there.

Don't mention ISO or you'll confuse people. Once you've burned the disc ISO is irrelevant: it's just normal DVD Video on DVD+R.

Quote:

Should I get OPPO?

If your criteria are 3D + Netflix + DVD+R you can probably find something cheaper. See the other thread.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #5 of 12 Old 04-02-2012, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Hi,
Thanks, that clears things up a lot. I do want to start ripping dvds again in the near future. Is ISO the best file to use; I found Multi Region players that also are fixed to still play ISOs, or is it better to move to a different program and file format if I'm going to keep them on a hard drive instead of burning them? What programs other than Shrink and Decripter should I use, and what file format should I be sure the players support? Also, whatever player I get should I make sure it has a USB. If I run a file through the OPPO will the picture be better than if I ran it on a computer connected to the TV? If I did get an OPPO should I get the Multi Region ISO one, or is it better to get a new one?
Thanks
PS
I'll looked at the link you left for other players, but it's so old. Is there a recent thread about picking 3D BR players?
post #6 of 12 Old 04-02-2012, 11:14 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

Hi,
Thanks, that clears things up a lot. I do want to start ripping dvds again in the near future. Is ISO the best file to use; I found Multi Region players that also are fixed to still play ISOs, or is it better to move to a different program and file format if I'm going to keep them on a hard drive instead of burning them? What programs other than Shrink and Decripter should I use, and what file format should I be sure the players support?

If your player supports ISO then it is the easiest and simplest way. However, that's not a usual Blu-ray player feature. See the Media Server forum for alternatives: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...aysprune=&f=39

The OPPO FAQ has a section on other formats: What are the alternatives to .iso files?

Quote:

Also, whatever player I get should I make sure it has a USB.

If you want to attach a hard drive, yes.

Quote:

If I run a file through the OPPO will the picture be better than if I ran it on a computer connected to the TV?

Quite possibly, but it's a big topic. Calibrating your display will make a bigger difference than buying new gear.

Quote:

If I did get an OPPO should I get the Multi Region ISO one, or is it better to get a new one?

There is an unofficial free software patch that makes the OPPO region free for DVD. For Blu-ray discs you would need a hardware modified one to play all regions.

New OPPO firmware no longer supports ISO on hard drives. If that's what you want then I would skip the OPPO and go to one of the media server products. You don't want a Blu-ray player stuck with old firmware; too many new discs won't play.

Quote:

I'll looked at the link you left for other players, but it's so old. Is there a recent thread about picking 3D BR players?

As I said you need to look the last pages. It's updated more or less daily. Read the last few pages.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #7 of 12 Old 04-04-2012, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Hi,
OK, I'm asking about Players in the other thread. I want to hook a computer to my HDTV, and am looking for a new computer. Do any have the ability to upscale computer files or streaming content to Blu Ray quality like a player, and if so what would that option in a computer be called? I'm assuming it would be in the video card. Would it being a 1 gig memory card be enough?
post #8 of 12 Old 04-04-2012, 06:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
AFAIK there are several top end PC Blu-Ray player programs that offer a 2D to faux 3D capbility
post #9 of 12 Old 04-04-2012, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

AFAIK there are several top end PC Blu-Ray player programs that offer a 2D to faux 3D capbility

I'm not looking for faux 3D capability because I have a 3D Bee (haven't had a chance to connect it yet, give you a review after I use it for a while). I'm talking more about making video files and streaming upscale to blu ray like quality the way many blu ray players like OPPO upscale the quality of DVDs to Blu Ray quality. Is there a program that does that for video files and streaming flash, and other video or do I need something in the video card? If what I need is a software program what are some brand names, and what would they be called "upscaling software"? If it's in the video card or hardware what is it called?

Also, someone in the Blu Ray Player thread said I should install Serviio to help with streaming Netflix to Players. My router doesn't have a computer connected straight to it; can I just download it on my laptop and have it affect the whole network over wifi?
post #10 of 12 Old 04-05-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
You can download to your Laptop and use a floppy to move the file to your desktop.
post #11 of 12 Old 04-15-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:

I'm not looking for faux 3D capability because I have a 3D Bee (haven't had a chance to connect it yet, give you a review after I use it for a while). I'm talking more about making video files and streaming upscale to blu ray like quality the way many blu ray players like OPPO upscale the quality of DVDs to Blu Ray quality. Is there a program that does that for video files and streaming flash, and other video or do I need something in the video card? If what I need is a software program what are some brand names, and what would they be called "upscaling software"? If it's in the video card or hardware what is it called?

"Upscaling" is not the same as 3D. It means to increase the number of scanlines to match the display device. Upscaling is built into all modern digital displays, disc players and graphics cards. How good they are when compared to one another is often discussed in the HTPC forum.

Quote:

Also, someone in the Blu Ray Player thread said I should install Serviio to help with streaming Netflix to Players. My router doesn't have a computer connected straight to it; can I just download it on my laptop and have it affect the whole network over wifi?

Computer media software (Serviio is just one of many) doesn't care what kind of network transport is being used -- wired or wireless. Just make sure your computers, player, display and AVR all use the same router. Wireless does tend to have slower throughput, though. Again, this is a topic for the HTPC forum.

Selden
post #12 of 12 Old 04-15-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

You can download to your Laptop and use a floppy to move the file to your desktop.

Floppies!?! walford, I'm afraid you're showing your age

A USB thumbdrive would be the modern equivalent, or (in this case) one could probably use a fileshare over the wireless network.

Selden
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page