If a receiver can't pass a 3D signal, will the sound not go through as well? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-16-2012, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14

I ask this since I just got my BDP-93 today and don't have my 3D TV yet, but am curious. I've heard that some receivers will still pass the 3D signal to the TV even if they're not marked as 3D ready. I bought the Oppo as a safeguard against that since I don't want to have to replace my receiver- it has 2 HDMI ports to connect one to the TV and one to the receiver should the receiver not pass the 3D signal.

Anyways, I found that you can tell the player to 'force' 3D discs to play, bypassing the "3D capable TV and glasses required" stuff that comes up. My TV got no picture at all so I guess that's what happens if it can't display 3D, but my receiver also got no audio signal. The "DIALNORM" indicator lit up a couple times looking like it was trying, but no sound came through. Is this an indication that it won't work after I've added a 3D TV? Will the sound on 3D content work on it when a 3D TV is hooked up with the separate HDMI jack?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-17-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
The cable and satellite HDMI1.4a 1/2 3D formats will pass through a HDMI 1.3 2d RCVR since they are contained in standard 1080p/60 buffers used for 2D. The Packed buffer full 3D format used by 3D BR players and by the PS3 uses a 1920x2025 buffer with the audio in the middle of the buffer you need a HDMI 1.4 full 3D compatible RCVR to get the sound out of the buffer.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-17-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 318
From the OPPO BDP-93, you'll need to connect one HDMI output direct to your display for video and the other direct to the receiver for audio. I do this now. It works fine.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #4 of 7 Old 04-17-2012, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

So will my receiver get sound if I have the other output connected to a 3D display? I don't have one right now, but thought at least the audio signal would still get to the receiver.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-17-2012, 01:59 PM
GEP
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
As mentioned before, the 1/2 resolutions SBS and TB 2D siganls keep the audio in the same location in the HDMI signal. The frame packed 3D siganls move the audio to a new location in the HDMI signal so your older AVR cannot find it.

However on Directv 3D, they seem to still required the HDMI 1.4a 3D EDID from the AVR before they will send the 3D signal and your older AVR cannot send this on it's own. It may be possible, if your AVR has a full HDMI pass-thu, for your TV's EDID to reach the sat receiver but not promised.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-18-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post

So will my receiver get sound if I have the other output connected to a 3D display? I don't have one right now, but thought at least the audio signal would still get to the receiver.

If you connect the audio and video separately using the OPPO player's two HDMI outputs, you'll be fine. One goes directly to the TV for video. The other goes directly to the receiver for audio. This will work for both 2D and 3D content.

Your receiver will not process the audio if you try to connect just one output to the receiver and expect the receiver to pass the video to your TV. That may work for 2D content, but you'll get nothing (neither audio nor video) with 3D content.

The OPPO player has two HDMI outputs specifically for this situation. Use them.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #7 of 7 Old 04-26-2012, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter

Got my 3D TV today (60-inch Sharp) and the Oppo works great with it and the receiver. Tried just going through the receiver first, but got no sound or picture. The receiver got full HD sound when the other output was connected to the TV, displaying a white screen through the receiver and 3D through the direct line to the TV. Glad I don't have to replace the receiver, only had it 2 years and got it mainly for its ability to upconvert all my analog stuff.
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page