Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 04-18-2012, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/pro...eranex/models/

I wonder how this is compared to the bee!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-22-2012, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I wonder if I'll ever be able to afford to judge for myself how good this thing really is. Or if anyone will ever be willing to take sample pics from the left and right lenses.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #3 of 15 Old 04-25-2012, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

From what I have learned about this, the 3D box should be around $4K in the USA and around £3K inc. sales tax in the UK. I am still trying to get clarification, but on the VC-100 you used to need 2 X VC100 units to do 2D to 3D conversion, I understand from a conversation I had with the Uk distributor this morning that the new Teranex 3D can do everything in a single box, so it's 2D in to 3D out down a single HDMI and into your display device, be it panel or projector.

Given that this technology used to be around $40K for the two VC-100 box's, and was around double that before Black Magic bought Teranex, you are getting staggering value. There is a link in the DCI forum here about the technology involved :-

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1289070

Given the kind of technology being deployed, I would expect this to be better than the 3D Bee by a considerable amount. I know forum member CINERAMAX has been a huge proponent of these units and has used one in his latest screening room.

I don't consider myself to be a huge fan of 3D, but even I am seriously looking into one of these units for my home cinema for use with my new VPL-HW30, it should also make an amazing scaler for my laserdisc player.

Best wishes,

David
post #4 of 15 Old 04-25-2012, 08:46 AM

Hello,

Just wanted to confirm that 2D to 3D is all carried out in a single Teranex 3D, just had confirmation from Black Magic tech, support.

That makes it a truly remarkable piece of hardware for the money.

Best wishes,

David
post #5 of 15 Old 04-25-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogueaddict View Post

Hello,

Just wanted to confirm that 2D to 3D is all carried out in a single Teranex 3D, just had confirmation from Black Magic tech, support.

What I'd like to know is what 3D format it converts to, side-by-side like the 3D-Bee or frame-packed?

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #6 of 15 Old 04-25-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

What I'd like to know is what 3D format it converts to, side-by-side like the 3D-Bee or frame-packed?

Hello,

The 3D can output side by side, top and bottom and frame packed.

Regards,

Dave
post #7 of 15 Old 09-24-2012, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Now if only it had a decent comb filter, I'd get one for my laserdiscs.

DON'T feed the troll.
post #8 of 15 Old 11-02-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Hi Josh one of several frame packed or dual stream hsdsdi being excellent. I had a 5 minute argument with cameron about the teranex 23d conversion, my point being that it should be used as a qc toll in conversions made at the studios as sometimes the results were superior. Clearly on Clash of the Titans it was better. To watch the return of the king in the teranex, that title alone, pick a scene, is incredible. Last year at showeast I showed the owner of doremi the system in the lab with the 4k reald, and after 15 minutes of watching mixed content he stood up crossed his arms and nodded I am impressed, they were considering buying the teranex technology, but alas Blackmagic beat then to the punch.

post #9 of 15 Old 11-05-2012, 09:35 AM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Anybody perchance watch the recent mtv awards in 3d ; long shot I know but same terranex algorithms used in the 3d converter so curious smile.gif

http://www.creativeplanetnetwork.com/digital-cinematography/feature/next-dimension-mtv-experiments-live-2d-3d-conversion/60723
post #10 of 15 Old 11-07-2012, 10:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

Hi Josh one of several frame packed or dual stream hsdsdi being excellent. I had a 5 minute argument with cameron about the teranex 23d conversion, my point being that it should be used as a qc toll in conversions made at the studios as sometimes the results were superior. Clearly on Clash of the Titans it was better. To watch the return of the king in the teranex, that title alone, pick a scene, is incredible. Last year at showeast I showed the owner of doremi the system in the lab with the 4k reald, and after 15 minutes of watching mixed content he stood up crossed his arms and nodded I am impressed, they were considering buying the teranex technology, but alas Blackmagic beat then to the punch.

Just to be clear, is the $4k unit that Blackmagic is selling the one you're so enthusiastic about? I picked up the conversion of iRobot the other day, and I was extremely disappointed in it. It's my understanding that it uses JVC technology. I won't waste my time on another one of those.

Joe Clark

post #11 of 15 Old 11-22-2012, 04:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Just to be clear, is the $4k unit that Blackmagic is selling the one you're so enthusiastic about? I picked up the conversion of iRobot the other day, and I was extremely disappointed in it. It's my understanding that it uses JVC technology. I won't waste my time on another one of those.

The JVC is not as sleek.

Your Loss, the technology in the teranex is spy satellite resolution enhancement, it turns out spy satellites use 3d .

I can assure you that if you play Return of the King it will look incredible on the Teranex, not all movies do specially movies like 2012 that have way too much cgi, but anything shot on a plain video camera looks great along with many movies.

post #12 of 15 Old 11-23-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Are you saying that the JVC and Teranex use similar conversion technology? When I said I wouldn't buy another one of those, I was referring to titles that have been converted using the JVC 2D to 3D converter technology. It's my understanding that the JVC process is much less expensive, but the iRobot conversion that I watched was disappointing. I'm very much in the market for a 2D to 3D converter that does a good job with material shot with regular video cameras.

Joe Clark

post #13 of 15 Old 11-24-2012, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I found a sample clip of the VC100. Is that the basic/common model?

I wasn't impressed in the least. It seems to popout at the edges and sink in towards the center, by default. The shots of the animals were unimpressive too. It just looked like 2D plus depth. And you know how in S3D the foreground can obstruct the background in one eye view but reveal it for the other eye, there's none of that here. I was made to believe that there were no occlusion errors with this system

Frankly I'm disappointed in this multi-thousand-dollar device. It seems like an expensive gimmick/trick.

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #14 of 15 Old 06-04-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone tried one of these out yet?

DON'T feed the troll.
post #15 of 15 Old 10-28-2013, 08:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I have one but have not had time to test.

Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page