PS3 3DPlayer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-13-2012, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I just purchased a new 3D tv, not so much for the 3D but for a newer LED model. So now that I have the screen calibrated and will be receiving my new glasses this week. My question is, is my PS3 good enough for a 3D BD source for movies or is it worth a new 3D BD player? I have read mixed things about using the PS3 for 3D movies.

Thanks,
Skybolt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-14-2012, 06:30 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybolt View Post

I just purchased a new 3D tv, not so much for the 3D but for a newer LED model. So now that I have the screen calibrated and will be receiving my new glasses this week. My question is, is my PS3 good enough for a 3D BD source for movies or is it worth a new 3D BD player? I have read mixed things about using the PS3 for 3D movies.

Thanks,
Skybolt

My PS3 works flawlessly with 3D bluray discs...
post #3 of 5 Old 05-15-2012, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie_18 View Post

My PS3 works flawlessly with 3D bluray discs...

Thanks, thats great news. I should be getting my glasses by thurs. this week. Games and 3d movies from one device is real nice. I didn't want to buy a new BD player just for 3D movies. I don't plan on watching that many - I think.

post #4 of 5 Old 05-21-2012, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I tried out the PS3 over the weekend for #D with "Underworld Awakenings" wow was I inpressed with this. I can't believe how well the PS3 handles BluRay in general none the less 3D as well. But then again I have nothing to compare it to except my own expectations.

-Skybolt

post #5 of 5 Old 08-12-2012, 02:11 PM

Liked: 10
If you're tempted to use the Playstation Store to rent 3D videos, my recommendation is caution. If my experience renting John Carter on my PS3 and playing through my LG 55LM7600 is typical, you'll get a headache.

I liked the idea of downloading the video to the hard disk of the PS3. I could ensure that the video would be playing locally and not have to worry about the bandwidth throttling from Comcast. Static images in 3D were fine and the resolution looked good. But anything that moved suffered from terrible, not sure how to describe it, but the depth wasn't stable. As if the 3D effect was jumping around for moving objects. I tried playing around with the motion compensation for my TV from off to full on and there was a slight improvement with full on compensation but the instability never went away.

I played the John Carter preview from Vudu through my TV and 3D motion looked fine. So there is something about how the movie was encoded for the PS3 or how the PS3 delivers it to my TV that isn't working.
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page