Comparing the Panasonic 3D1, the Sony TD10 and the Panasonic Z10000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-16-2012, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 124
This thread is for comparisons of any two, or all three 3D camcorders.

Here is a video comparison: first all three in dim light (posted before), then in bright, very contrasty light, complete with azaleas. The order is as in the title. These videos tell us about noise, color, dynamic range.

The exposure outdoors was set for the 3D1 and TD10 based on the look of the white highlights of the flowers in bright light; that for the Z10000 was based on just barely having zebra stripes on the white parts of the balcony. So the exposures are a bit different.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-16-2012, 11:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm surprised the picture quality is so close. It is sort of like cars, when it comes to basic transportation robot manufacturing and technology have made basic safety, fuel economy, and even power pretty comparable across the board. Obviously the 3D1 would be better matched with the Fuji W1 or W3 as it does not really belong in the same class - but then again if only considering the picture it does the job with albeit severe limitations such as lack of zoom, limited video recording time, horrible battery life, and no 3D viewing screen, etc. [By the way - I wonder how many realize that for an extra $100 one can pick up a Sony HD10 on clearance at BB over the price of a 3D1 - assuming your BB still has any HD10s left in stock.] Panasonic really needs to cut the price of the 3D1 in half which it could easily do if it was marketed better so that it doesn't remain simply a niche product with limited production.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-17-2012, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 124
3D1: "lack of zoom, limited video recording time, horrible battery life."

Just to be clear:

1. The 3D1 has a 4X optical zoom; it cannot be used while shooting 3D.
2. The limit on recording time is 29 minutes; this is not serious for all but recording long concerts (not irrelevant).
3. The battery life for video is relatively short (~40 minutes), but the batteries are $18 and commonly available and tiny. That is why the camera fits in your pocket.

The 3D1 takes 3D stills that are better than those taken by the Fuji W3, the Sony TD10 (none) and the Panasonic Z10000.
post #4 of 5 Old 05-17-2012, 11:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the added info. I only know what I read in the reviews. So it looks like the major drawback is lack of a 3D viewing screen like all of the others have as well as the W1 and W3. I wonder if the next generation 3D1 will correct this flaw as well as come in with a more popular price point? (BB won't even stock the 3D1 in any of the stores I have visited.)
post #5 of 5 Old 05-18-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Mark. I have been getting satisfactory battery life here. I did a continuous record bench test and with my 3 batteries, the record time for each battery is two 29 minute sessions plus one 3 minute session. This had no standby time and no playback time. All 3 of my batteries do about the same results. I think depending on how one uses the camera, determines how the batteries hold up. Since I may run the camera long periods at times not recording, I don't get this sort of recording time in the field. But, the above time is what I did just to see how the bench mark looked.
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page