PS3 for 3D - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-12-2012, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How good is the PS3 for 3D tv and Blu Ray? I'm thinking about picking up a Optoma HD33 and was curious of a good 3D blu ray player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-14-2012, 07:36 AM

It's as good as any Blu Ray player that plays 3D. Plus, it doubles as a great game system, and it can do other things like store and play photos or movies. I use it to play videos from my Sony camcorder.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-20-2012, 07:18 PM

It's fine but keep in mind that it won't be able to play the uncompressed audio tracks from your 3d blu rays. I think it's a hardware limitation.
post #4 of 9 Old 06-20-2012, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 59
An update last year enabled DTS-HD MA playback for 3D Blu-rays. I believe Dolby HD is still unsupported, but most Blu-rays have a DTS track anyway.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-21-2012, 12:08 PM

Liked: 11
You are correct on that, the ps3 will not now or in the future support Dolby HD because of hardware limitations.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-23-2012, 02:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Just from my own experience I have a hd33 with a PS3 and HTPC. Neither can match the 3d I get from my Panny bt110 Blu Ray player. My Son Inlaw has a LG passive with PS3 and now has the same Panny and also saw a vast improvement in 3d picture. The depth and pop out are vastly improved. You can get a refurbed Panny for under $100 and a lot less hassels then getting Power DVD to run or the limitations of the PS3. The game play in 3d on PS3 is great but for movies you can't compare the picture and audio (Denon 1912 for audio on my setup) from the panny

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #7 of 9 Old 06-23-2012, 03:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post

My Son Inlaw has a LG passive with PS3 and now has the same Panny and also saw a vast improvement in 3d picture. The depth and pop out are vastly improved.

In principle, depth and pop out are determined by the Blu-ray. Each 3D Blu-ray has a 1080p left and image, a 1080p right image, and the player's job is to output that to the TV as is. They can't adjust camera angles or reshoot the movie for more depth or pop out. Most likely, the differences you're seeing are from different Blu-rays, as they vary widely.

One exception is a 3D TV (or I assume a Blu-ray player) can zoom in and crop those left and right 1080p images to move the whole image forward or backward. I think many TVs call this "3D Viewpoint." Perhaps your Panasonic Blu-ray player has this function? If so, it might well give you a more pleasing image, but it's altering the director's vision and effectively pan and scanning the movie, if only a little. But again, most likely you're mistaking differences in movies for differences in Blu-ray players.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-24-2012, 04:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airion View Post

In principle, depth and pop out are determined by the Blu-ray. Each 3D Blu-ray has a 1080p left and image, a 1080p right image, and the player's job is to output that to the TV as is. They can't adjust camera angles or reshoot the movie for more depth or pop out. Most likely, the differences you're seeing are from different Blu-rays, as they vary widely.
One exception is a 3D TV (or I assume a Blu-ray player) can zoom in and crop those left and right 1080p images to move the whole image forward or backward. I think many TVs call this "3D Viewpoint." Perhaps your Panasonic Blu-ray player has this function? If so, it might well give you a more pleasing image, but it's altering the director's vision and effectively pan and scanning the movie, if only a little. But again, most likely you're mistaking differences in movies for differences in Blu-ray players.

The Panny does indeed have a slider for 3D effects. To answer the posters question playing the same Blu Ray in a PS3 compared to the Panny on two different displays many viewers agreed the Panny does a better job (with the slider in its defaut setting). The PS3 was not designed for 3D play of Blu Rays, sony did an excellent job of updating the PS3 to do so and it plays 3D games very well and is a good Blu Ray player as well. But for the best 3D experience of movies I would recomed a stand alone player.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #9 of 9 Old 06-24-2012, 04:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post

To answer the posters question playing the same Blu Ray in a PS3 compared to the Panny on two different displays many viewers agreed the Panny does a better job (with the slider in its defaut setting)

Many viewers, who exactly? What exactly is the Panasonic (if set at default) doing that the PS3 isn't? Unless there's some placebo effect, there would have to be something real, something technical, that would be making the Panasonic better. However, I can't think what that would be.
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page