Sony Blu Ray Players and AVCHD 2.0 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-14-2012, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We have learned from contributions from members in recent message strings that the Sony BDP-SX80 series Blu Ray players will play Blu Ray disks recorded in AVCHD 2.0 (3d Progressive). That capability was addressed in firmware updates last year when the PMB v5.8 was introduced. It now appears that the newer Sony SX70 and SX90 series will not play AVCHD 2.0 clips. I wonder if this is a conscious decision by Sony. It remins me of the limitation placed in the Sony Vegas Pro 11 software upgrade supposedly limiting burning of 3D Blu Ray disks. Don Landis found a way to get around this limitation.

Don also advised that the OPPO 93 Blu Ray player which played ISO 3D footage was dumbed down in firmware updates to eleiminate this capability. I called OPPO who confirmd that none of their players will play ISO files.

With all this in mind, I wonder if it is advisable to not allow any further firmare updates to my Sony BDP-S780 Blu Ray player. The updates are not automatic and send popup messages about available updates. My initial reaction is to avoid any updates as Don avoids updates to his OPPO 93 by not having it connected to the web.

Any suggestions?

Marty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-14-2012, 10:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 129
If you want the Oppo to play iso files you must use a firmware that was loaded to the machine prior to January 2012 update. FWIW- I have not had any new BD's that would not play properly due to not having the latest firmware on the OPPO. When that begins to happen often, I will make a decision to purchase a new set top Blue ray player for latest disks. I will not jeopardize my OPPO's iso play capability to play a new disk. My BD-93 is now completely disabled from any updates from OPPO. While there are many file servers such as popcorn and other devices on the market, only a few support 3D and none support 3D with original menus to play exactly like the original disk. Only OPPO did this last year.

I don't know anything about the Sony and AVCHD 2.0 but if you want to play safe and you really want the AVCHD 2.0 capability, following my strategy on one machine that works is probably wise. i,e, buy a new player for the updates. Keep what works from any new updates.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don Landis
post #3 of 6 Old 06-15-2012, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

[quote .
I don't know anything about the Sony and AVCHD 2.0 but if you want to play safe and you really want the AVCHD 2.0 capability, following my strategy on one machine that works is probably wise. i,e, buy a new player for the updates. Keep what works from any new updates.[/quote]

Don:

I thought you needed a Blu Ray player withe AVCHD 2.0 capability to play back TD10 clips in 3D that are stored on an external drive and / or videos created with either PMB 5.8 or Play Home Memories. I thought you stored TD10 clips on an external drive using the black adapter cable that comes with the camera. Do you plug the external drive into one of your Blu Ray players? If so, which one is it and are you seeing the clips in 3D? Also, did you create any Discs using PMB 5.8 or PHM?
post #4 of 6 Old 06-15-2012, 06:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I thought you stored TD10 clips on an external drive using the black adapter cable that comes with the camera. Do you plug the external drive into one of your Blu Ray players?

No! I only had to use the WD Passport HDD with the black adapter once when on an extended trip shooting and I was running out of space. I use that WD Drive as a backup for storing clips until I get home and can PMB everything to my computer to edit. When I review shots I did for quick look at the end of the day, I use the hdmi cable to an hdmi TV in the hotel room, This is normally a 2D not 3D review. I have never used the PMB 5.8 version, burned a BluRay of raw files, nor plugged in my WD passport drive to a USB port for viewing, only to transfer to computer for editing.

At home I often connect my TD10 to a 3D display using hdmi cable either direct to the TV or to my AVR in the Home theater.

Since I shoot everything "for the edit" most of my clips contain slate info, usually verbally at the beginning sometimes at the This is not something that would be desirable to view other than in the edit suite.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don Landis
post #5 of 6 Old 06-15-2012, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Don:

Thanks for the clarification.

I often watch HD10 clips stored on an external drive which is connected to my Sony S780 Blu Ray player via front or rear USB ports.. It will only play in 1080 60i 3d if the Blu Ray player is AVCHD 2.0 capable.

Marty
post #6 of 6 Old 06-15-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Makes sense. But I agree with you earlier that you need to exercise caution if you suspect a firmware update will kill the AVCHD 2.0 capability you now have. I have no need for it but I don't want others to lose something they like. There are a lot of upset OPPO owners who lost their ISO playback because they didn't know ahead of time. And, poor OPPO was under a cease and dissist order they couldn't fight. Oppo was caught between a rock and a hard place just like Panasonic years ago with DVHS.

Don Landis
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page