Issue's with PS3 / 3D / 1.3A receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-22-2012, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Guys,
been reading and searching for my problem but cant seem to solve it, and before i go out and spend lots of money id like to see if anyone has any idea's.

Components i have:
1). Old fat PS3 thats been updated with newest FW
2). Yamaha receiver rxv1800
3). Epson tw9000 3D projector

If i connect the PS3 DIRECTLY to the projector bypassing the receiver, i have no problems playing 3D content, but if i do that all my other components that are connected by HDMI via the receiver would obviously not work, as the output cable is now connected to the PS3 and not to the output on the receiver.

If i connect the PS3 THROUGH the receiver, it wont play any 3D content at all, most of the time its just a blank screen and nothing happens, pressing stop and it goes back to the main PS3 screen/menu.

If i do a display settings in the PS3 menu/setup i click AUTO and it searches my display setting...this is what ive found:

If PS3 cable connected directly to projector, the PS3 finds my projector and puts up a notice "3D capable display found" then it asks me to tell it the screen size etc...
If PS3 connected through receiver and i try the same thing, it doesnt find my 3D display, i only get it found "1080P" (and all the other resolutions), so im guessing thats why it wont play 3D if it goes through the receiver.

However,
Reading up on this, people are saying you CAN use a 1.3a receiver and a PS3(or any other blu ray player for that matter) except you will only get the lower quality sound decoders(dolby digital and DTS)... i wouldnt mind that except that mine wont play the video...
Its not the cable otherwise it wouldnt work if i connected it up directly either, right?

So how do people get around this?

Also, i see a lot of people go with a dual output HDMI like the oppo 93, however i dont know how they connect it up?
I would assume one goes to receievr for audio and the other one directly to the projector? if this is the case, then how do they run other devices that are connected to theyre receiver such as cable box? with only one HDMI OUT from receiver!

Hope im making sense, its been a long night trying to figure it out.

appreciate any help,
Danny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-24-2012, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 97
If you don't want to upgrade your AV receiver, you could get an HDMI switcher for the projector. Run one HDMI cable from the PS3 to one of the inputs on the switcher, and the receiver's HDMI output to another input on the switcher. Connect a Toslink cable from the PS3 to the receiver, and configure the PS3's audio output accordingly. The PS3 would then feed a 3D signal via HDMI to the projector (by way of the switcher), as well as a multichannel digital audio signal via optical cable to the Yamaha receiver. Use a Harmony remote to control it all and you're good to go.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-25-2012, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks mate,
Ive figured it out but done it a bit different.

Since my projector has 2x hdmi inputs, ive connected up another hdmi cable from ps3 to hdmi2 on the projector while everything else comes from the av receiver to the hdmi1 input of the projector.
Optical from ps3 to amps dedicated input.
Assigned my harmony to switch hdmi inputs according to what i watch.

All good now, i just dont get the HD sounds but i'll fix that when i buy a player with two hdmi outs, such as the oppo.

Cheers
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page