PS3 + 3D + HD Lossless sound + 1.3a AVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-23-2012, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Is there a method to accomplish this? I am thinking I can split the HDMI signal from the PS3 and send one HDMI signal to the TV and the other HDMI signal to the AVR

Pioneer KRP-500m
Panasonic 65VT50
M&K LCR-750s Fronts and Center
M&K M-4T Surrounds
X-Rite i1pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-23-2012, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 51
The PS3 is the only device that you can get to work this way. You have to plug the PS3 directly to your display, do your video setup and it will see the 3D device. It won't check for a 3D device again as long as you don't run video setup, you shouldn't need a splitter just conect back up to avr as normal. The PS3 is not HDMI 1.4 but they did some firmware magic to get it to work but they did sacrafice some lossless audio formats when playing 3D. I belive it won't play dolby HD in 3d anyway (heard someware it will do DTS HD).

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #3 of 11 Old 08-23-2012, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hmm, but my avr is not 3d compatible, so my understanding is the receiver won't pass through the 3d signal..

Pioneer KRP-500m
Panasonic 65VT50
M&K M-4T Surrounds
X-Rite i1pro
post #4 of 11 Old 08-24-2012, 02:20 AM
Advanced Member

Some will pass the 3D from player to TV. (I have not tested it on an AVR but do have a splitter to two AVR's one to Mitts with no 3D adapter and one to HD33 3D). But it will not pass the 3D signal from TV to player so this will not work with Sat/Cable or Blu-Ray player because they test for 3D every time you want to watch 3D, the PS3 only tests for 3D during video setup. At worst case you may still need a splitter.

post #5 of 11 Old 08-24-2012, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post

Some will pass the 3D from player to TV. (I have not tested it on an AVR but do have a splitter to two AVR's one to Mitts with no 3D adapter and one to HD33 3D). But it will not pass the 3D signal from TV to player so this will not work with Sat/Cable or Blu-Ray player because they test for 3D every time you want to watch 3D, the PS3 only tests for 3D during video setup. At worst case you may still need a splitter.

Hmm, I think that might have worked. I connected the ps3 directly to the TV and set up the PS3 to be in 3D mode. I turned off the TV and PS3 and then reconnected the PS3 to my AVR. I loaded up a 3D game and boom, it appears to be in 3D. I do not have any glasses to actually verify it is not crap 3D coming through..

Pioneer KRP-500m
Panasonic 65VT50
M&K M-4T Surrounds
X-Rite i1pro
post #6 of 11 Old 08-24-2012, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This will work for 3d games and 3d from vudu, however it will not work with 3d blu ray movies. I did the same thing but wanted to also view 3d blu rays so had to upgrade to a new AVR.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-25-2012, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaba View Post

This will work for 3d games and 3d from vudu, however it will not work with 3d blu ray movies. I did the same thing but wanted to also view 3d blu rays so had to upgrade to a new AVR.

Ah, so 3D blu-rays don't pass through? Do you know why that is the case?

Pioneer KRP-500m
Panasonic 65VT50
M&K M-4T Surrounds
X-Rite i1pro
post #8 of 11 Old 08-26-2012, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
This is a very basic answer but from my understanding games and vudu pass a 3d signal in 720p format side by side which a 1.3 AVR can pass. A 3d Blu Ray passes a dual 1080p60Hz frame packing format which a 1.3 AVR cannot pass. I finally changed my AVR to a 1.4 format so I can play 3d Blu Ray's, but if you do not mind getting your movies off of VUDU and play 3d games no need to upgrade at this time.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-27-2012, 03:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaba View Post

This is a very basic answer but from my understanding games and vudu pass a 3d signal in 720p format side by side which a 1.3 AVR can pass. A 3d Blu Ray passes a dual 1080p60Hz frame packing format which a 1.3 AVR cannot pass. I finally changed my AVR to a 1.4 format so I can play 3d Blu Ray's, but if you do not mind getting your movies off of VUDU and play 3d games no need to upgrade at this time.

This is close games and vudu are 720p60hz seq not SBS and blu-ray is 1080p24hz. Turning off deep color and not setting to RGB in PS3 (there might be other settings as in limited HDMI ?) might help?. The $25 HDMI splitter is cheaper than a new receiver. I gave up on PS3 since it can't play Dolby True HD anyway. Welcome to 3D now eventully you will want a 3D Blu Ray player, and 3D ready AVR.

post #10 of 11 Old 08-31-2012, 10:38 AM
GEP
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
That is not accurate either, at least far as the signal that is on the HDMI cable.

3D Games are 720p Frame Packed - Frame Packed is different than frame sequential. Frame Sequential is when a full (but standard size) frame is delivered which is the frame for one eye; then it is followed by another full (but standard size) frame for the other eye. For 720p the full frame will be 1280 columns x 720 lines.
Frame Packed (in 720p) is one supper sized frame of 1280 columns x 1470 lines. In the 1470 lines, there are two sets 720 lines that are the information for each eye plus a separation in the middle of 30 lines which has other information. In a sense, it is a supper sized Top/Bottom frame.

VUDU is delivered from the internet to the receiving device in Frame Compatible. Depending on the receiving device’s (in this case the PS3) capability however it can be HDX = 1920 x 1080p, HD 1280 x 720 or maybe even lower like SD 720 x 480p. None of these are Frame Packed because internet bandwidth is at a premium. I know that on my TV that has VUDU and supports VUDU 3D I often can select between HDX and HD for the VUDU 3D movies.

Frame Compatible is standard sized full frame divided into either Top/Bottom or Side-by-side. For Top/Bottom each half of the frame is one eye view and only one half of the lines for that view. For Side-by-side again each half of the frame is one eye view and only half of the columns for that view. The decoding device then separates the two frames and, if required, interpolates the missing information for each eye view.

What the PS 3 does with the VUDU when it receives the signal, before it puts that signal on the HDMI cable, might change (I do not have the details of that). The PS3 might convert the Frame Compatible to Frame Packed or it might keep the signal Frame Compatible.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-10-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Ahh this is why I couldnt bet a 3d blu ray to work through my ps3, its connected to my Onkyo 705 which is 1.3 hdmi...sounds like a new AVR is going to be needed.

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page