3d PS3 vs. HTPC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-31-2012, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys sorry if this has been covered before, i searched but couldn't find what i was looking for..

Last week i bought a Samsung 1080p 3d plasma. I have been watching some 3d mkv movies that a friend brought over. I was very impressed with the quality and loved the 3d and TV.

Yesterday i bought Puss'nBoots 3d bluray and watched it through my PS3. We were instantly blown away by the difference.. The depth was way more but more importantly stuff seemed to extend out the front of the TV more and the general quality looked much better to me, my wife and my kids.

I want to buy and rip my 3d movies to my server and play them back on my HTPC as I was just "borrowing" my son's PS3 to try it out.

Is the PS3 playing back 1080p per eye? Can i get the HTPC to look as good as the PS3? I was going to go out and buy a new HDMI 1.4 video card but wasn't sure that would be the answer and didn't want to waste my money.

Any help or comments would be very much appreciated if someone has the time.

Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-01-2012, 01:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Yes a HTPC will look as good or better than the PS3. The cheapest video card that works well that I have found is the Nvidia GT430 (around $50). You will need a 3D Blu Ray burner if you don't have one ($80 for an LG is the best rated) and 3D software player (about $100). You can see it adds up. A great Blu Ray player is the Panny (you can get a refurbed 110 on ebay for $80) and no hassels with drivers on the HTPC. If your going to rip your Blu Ray's you will need software to do that ($100) and up to 50gb of disk space each movie. Of course this is all the legal way anything else can't be discused here

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #3 of 3 Old 09-01-2012, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply. I was watching those mkv's on my htpc already just wasn't as impressed after I saw the ps3 output. I went out today and upgraded to a Radeon 6870 as it is HDMI 1.4 and it was replacing a 4670. It wasn't as easy to get working as my last 4670, I will have to fiddle with it some more. I figured maybe i needed HDMI 1.4 as i want to use Bluray .iso's. I already bought tmt 5 and the latest power DVD, I also have a 10tb unraid server, so space isn't an issue..

Any other comments or suggestions?
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page