Does LG Cinema 3D is Compatible with Sony HDR-TD20V and Sony HDR-TD10 3D Camcorder OR Visa Versa ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-05-2012, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Experts,

For some of my 3D shooting I decided to go ahead with "Sony HDR-TD20V" or "Sony HDR-TD10" but I have LG 42" Cinema 3D TV in home.
I just want to know if it possible to play 3D videos shot in "Sony HDR-TD20V" can be played in LG Cinema 3D TV or not.

I also would like to know how I can add 3D elements created in Maya into the video shot in "Sony HDR-TD20V" by editing it ?.
If yes then how or what software I should use to do so... Will I be able to edit video shot by "Sony HDR-TD20V" in Adobe After effects ?

Please someone help me.. :-)
Thanks in Advance

I am sorry if I posted in wrong category.. I tried move it to more relevant category but not successful.. Admin please move this thread to proper section.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-05-2012, 06:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Welcome to AVS Forum. I think you are in the most appropriate section. AVS has a few professionals here but most are serious amateurs experimenting and enjoying stereoscopic 3D video and home theater.

All modern 3D TV's including the one you mentioned are compatible with the Sony 3D camcorders you listed. The easiest way to play the videos from these camcorders on a passive 3D TV is to just connect the hdmi cable that comes with the camcorder to the TV. This cable is a standard hdmi mini to hdmi standard cable. Then you can use the IR remote control to play the videos in full 3D. Since the hdmi is 1.4a you also have the option to control the clips selection from the TV.

For editing, I recommend using Vegas Pro which is designed to edit stereoscopic 3D. There are other 3D editing products such as edit, Power Director PD10 and PD11 as well as Magic. But I prefer Sony Vegas Pro, V11 or V12. I also use Power Director but only for creating menu based Blu Ray copies of my Vegas Pro edited productions. Some special effects editors like after effects will also work with the 3D clips but you may have to use lots of work-arounds and conversions to use these and then your results may not be high quality. Basically, I find I can do all I need in 3D editing with two products- Vegas Pro and Power Director. There is also a lower cost version of Vegas Pro called Vegas Studio Platinum that will also work for 3D.

Regarding Maya-

I assume you are referring to Autodesk's Maya. I am not familiar with Maya but '3D' modeling and rendering in most Autodesk products is not designed to produce S3D or stereoscopic 3D renderings. Autodesk basics renders vector based 3D wireframe models to 2D bit mapped images. Note that my background with Autodesk is dated to the early days of Autocad and 3D Studio. Autodesk may have products today that can do the conversion of it's wireframe models to stereoscopic3D renderings but I am not familiar with them. Autodesk has a white paper on the topic of redimensionalizing 2D images to stereoscopic 3D here:

http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/autodesk_whitepaper_2d_to_stereoscopic_3d_conversion_flamepremium_flare_maya_final.pdf

I hope this can give you a further understanding on what is needed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don Landis
post #3 of 4 Old 10-05-2012, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HI Don Landis,

Thanks you so much for your reply. This answers all my questions.

I just have one last question. Instead of playing the captured 3D video from the camcorder can I copy it to a pen Dive or external hard disk and connect my LG Cinema 3D TV to my laptop through HDMI and play that 3D content through ?. By this way will I be able to play a 3D video ?.

I have called Sony Costumer Care regarding this and they kept their answer on a limbo. They say that the 3D format recorded by the Sony Camcorder is called as "MVC" if LG Cinema 3D supports this format then it works or else not.

If it is not possible to play the MVC format by copying to pen drive is there any way to convert this Sony 3D MVC format into something that is compatible with LG Cinema 3D without loosing the quality ?
post #4 of 4 Old 10-05-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 129
The short answer is you can do it with conditions- But those conditions are like lots of hoops you have to jump through. It will require transfer of the video to a fast computer and then launch some player software such as stereoscopic player.

Another way you can do this is record to the SD card in the camcorder and then slide this SD card into a slot in the TV if your TV has this capability. Then it depends if the TV's app supports the MVC format. In most cases users testing this method report that most TV's only support 2D if at all. That is what Sony support is telling you. Another approach was to use the SD card slot in various disk players for 3D and the Play Station 3.

The Sony Camcorders you listed both have the capability to record to either internal memory of the SD card which is removable. Also, both have a USB2 connection to off load to a portable HDD such as a Western Digital PassPort. This can be done without a computer. But the HDD can only be used to play its content when connected to the camcorder. I have never had success playing from other devices. The files stored on the HDD are identical to the files used in the camcorder. Sony also makes a small disk burner that can connect directly to the camcorder but this also cannot burn 3D video for 3D playback, only 2D.

Another thing to consider is this problem- The video files recorded in the camcorder format need to be converted to a playable form before you can play them PROPERLY. This is important because a longer video clip may be stored in several files and these need to be combined before playback. So, simply copying the files to a computer or pen drive will not work 100%. You may experience truncated video, out of sync audio etc. Transfer of the files using PMB or similar software will correct this. Then these corrected files will play with stereoscopic player from your computer.

All this considering, I ramain suggesting the easiest way is to just connect the hdmi cable to the camcorder and play. If the video is archived on other media, archiving to SD cards or USB HDD can equally be played back the easiest way by connecting this media to the camcorder. The camcorder has the necessary hardware to deal with it's own video format for playback.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don Landis
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page