End - all - say - all , best 3d glasses. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 12-01-2012, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
We have a samsung 60es8000 and we hate the included glasses. They are flat out terrible. Far to open so to much light in from the side and too much reflextion from even so much as a candel thats 30 feet awa. They dont fit well for me or her or anyone else that's tried them and commented. The lenses are too vertically narrow and they simply feel cheap all around.

We want new glasses.

We have spent the last two weeks searching google and AVSforum for the answer as to what the end-all-say-all of best 3d glasses are but there doesnt seem to be a clear cut answer. There are various recommneded "compatible" glasses but noone (far as we can find) seems to have mentioned which are really the best glasses on the market (lets pretend price non issue for now).

So how about it? What are generally considered the absolute best 3D glasses on the market?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-16-2013, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bump for you.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-17-2013, 01:48 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityinruin View Post

We have a samsung 60es8000 and we hate the included glasses. They are flat out terrible. Far to open so to much light in from the side and too much reflextion from even so much as a candel thats 30 feet awa. They dont fit well for me or her or anyone else that's tried them and commented. The lenses are too vertically narrow and they simply feel cheap all around.

We want new glasses.

We have spent the last two weeks searching google and AVSforum for the answer as to what the end-all-say-all of best 3d glasses are but there doesnt seem to be a clear cut answer. There are various recommneded "compatible" glasses but noone (far as we can find) seems to have mentioned which are really the best glasses on the market (lets pretend price non issue for now).

So how about it? What are generally considered the absolute best 3D glasses on the market?

Check out 3D Glasses Unlimited, the Quantum G5 G7 series will work great for you.
post #4 of 14 Old 01-18-2013, 05:21 AM

Liked: 15
A word of warning about the SAMSUNG Smart TV 3D Glasses SSG-4100GB classes.

The do work with the Epson 3020. (and I bet on the other RF models)

BUT A) They are not clip on to fit onto your own glasses.

B) Your total SOL if you break or lose a Temple, Samsung has NO REPLACEMENT Temples, no way no how.

C) The above is likely as these DO NOT fold like normal glasses so you either leave them assembled and laying around or risk braking or losing a temple.

D) IF still in warrantee they will replace the whole pair of Glasses, but do not say you lost a part, they consider that customer mishandling.

E) They are a little smaller than the Epson glasses and do not seem to fit over my personal glasses as nice.

Last anyone that has a dead. Or broken pair, …Say Buddy can you spare a temple of a fellow 3D viewer ??

Like if yours go bad and you get a replacement set please mail me the temples?

Rich

post #5 of 14 Old 01-18-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Glasses Fan View Post

Check out 3D Glasses Unlimited, the Quantum G5 G7 series will work great for you.

I bought the G5 glasses, but have never been able to get them to pair with my Panasonic GT50 TV, no matter how many times I try, following the directions carefully. Samsung and Panasonic glasses work perfectly, my bluetooth module is active... but still they won't pair. What am I doing wrong?
post #6 of 14 Old 01-19-2013, 09:36 AM

Wish I could help you...

But it is funny what subject will just die on the vine here..I have had a couple lay around with no replies nor help as well.

post #7 of 14 Old 01-19-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I've tried 4 different ones, and the Optoma ZD101 was the best, brightest and clearest--although a real clunker to wear. The next in line are the Ultra-Clears, but they have a slight color shift top to bottom. It really comes down to what works for you and your TV. Others have liked the True-Depth glasses, but I found they have a slight red shif,t which I think are due to a slight dlplink sync issue. All this on my Optoma HD3300 projector.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-19-2013, 12:08 PM

I have read that with the IR Classes sometimes you can see the red flash and that might be the red shift your seeing.

One of the reasons to go with RF or Blue tooth Glasses, and also your remote has less trouble competing with the sync IR.

Rich

post #9 of 14 Old 02-25-2013, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

I find it somewhat shocking that a forum of some of the most visually demanding, scrupulous, judgmental (in a good way!) home-theater gurus in the word dont have an agreed consensus as to what are the BEST 3d glasses! This needs to be rectified.

Can we please give it a go? I realize that some will claim that this is a debatably "opinion" issue but the fact is , to at least some level, its not opinion. there can be fact in it.

There can be some degree of consensus regarding picture quality of a screen- so there can be some consensus of picture quality through 3d glasses.

Lets pretend that price and fitting are irrelevant - what glasses for 3D offer the undeniably best picture quality?
post #10 of 14 Old 02-25-2013, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Perhaps you should post this in the right area-3D Tech Talk. Glasses generally aren't considered source components. But there have been other questions like yours that haven't been answered there, either. I guess the consensus is that there IS no consensus. Given all the incompatibilities between different manufacturers' displays and glasses, even among different years in a single maker's lineup, it's kind of tough to establish a "best". Get ahold of several different kinds compatible with your display and find which works best for YOU.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #11 of 14 Old 02-27-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Yup, everytime someone announces a new pair that they like better than others, they get slammed with counter reviews. The only consensus I've seen is that the Optoma ZD101 and ZD201 (available in Europe only) are the best for DLPlink. RF my differ.
post #12 of 14 Old 04-30-2013, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

could be i just don't fully understand the technology but, why arn't there any wrap-around-like 3d glasses? Even if they can't really bend the glass, surly they can do the wrap-around-sun-glasses style frames, no ?

I feel like all it would take to make great 3d glasses is a solid wrap-around frame that even just uses the base line free with the tv lenses.

I watch 3d moves in a room that is pitch black and the ambient light from the screen itsself causes so much of a headache that i dont watch 3d movies at all anymore on my overpriced TV. Sad when im so confident the cause is the glasses
post #13 of 14 Old 05-15-2014, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:

could be i just don't fully understand the technology but, why arn't there any wrap-around-like 3d glasses? Even if they can't really bend the glass, surly they can do the wrap-around-sun-glasses style frames, no ?

I feel like all it would take to make great 3d glasses is a solid wrap-around frame that even just uses the base line free with the tv lenses.

I watch 3d moves in a room that is pitch black and the ambient light from the screen itsself causes so much of a headache that i dont watch 3d movies at all anymore on my overpriced TV. Sad when im so confident the cause is the glasses

This is spot on. Oakley style - they can make $5 warp around sunglasses that work great...the lense technology doesn't seem that complicated.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

post #14 of 14 Old 05-16-2014, 03:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I find it somewhat shocking that a forum of some of the most visually demanding, scrupulous, judgmental (in a good way!) home-theater gurus in the word dont have an agreed consensus as to what are the BEST 3d glasses! This needs to be rectified.

Can we please give it a go? I realize that some will claim that this is a debatably "opinion" issue but the fact is , to at least some level, its not opinion. there can be fact in it.?
Cityinruin, you seem to assuming there is only kind of 3D glasses technology. There are a number of quite different types of technology.

You might have had a better chance obtaining a concensus had your LED TV required passive glasses and relied on fixed circular polarisation. Circularly polarised passive glasses are relatively cheap to manufacture and come in different shapes and sizes.

However your LED TV uses active glasses technology. Active glasses are relatively expensive to manufacture and each design has its own choice of compromise. A timing compromise is required to minimise ghosting (interference between the Left and Right images) but not so much that it unduly reduces brightness. A choice needs to be made between rechargeable battery or non-rechargeable. There can be the issue of discolouration of the image by the variable opacity lenses. Different techniques are used for synchronising active glasses to the Left Right alternation of the picture. Active glasses intended for one model active TV may not work with another model active TV (especially true of older model active 3D TVs).

Arguably the best 3D glasses as regards 3D performance are those for DLP projectors as they can give excellent brightness and very low ghosting.

You are really asking what are the best glasses for your model of TV set, with an emphasis on comfort, and freedom from extraneous light and reflections. You make no reference to brightness level, freedom from ghosting, or accuracy of colour. So your are asking for tailored advice, not the one size-fits-all advice you may have thought should be readily available.

Sometimes an owners' thread for a particular model active TV will include recommendations for after market active glasses that work well with the set and are comfortable. That line of enquiry could be worth pursuing.
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page