Help me choose a new 3d BD player...I am upgrading from a Denon dvd-3930ci - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-16-2012, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am just unsure what to pick up for a new unit. I looked a lot at the Denon 3313 BD player...I cannot find any information no matter how hard I search (put hours into searching google and this forum)...

I have a pretty extensive collection of movies (about 1200 or so) in 2 mega racks I built...standard dvds...my blu ray collection is just starting. I picked up a new Samsung PN51E8000 on Amazon with a significant discount and 200 dollar gift card that I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of.

So ultimately I have a few major concerns...

-I want to be sure audio/video processing is the same if not better than my current HQV chip is in my 3930, I am still very concerned with having a solid upconverter and SQ for older cds etc (I love watching standard movies, but I'm running out of room to house components)

-I am also concerned with blu-ray and 3d bd performance

-Lastly, I will be changing my receiver as my AVR7300 from Harman Kardon is dying...its either an Onkyo TX-NR5010 or Denon AVR-4520CI that will be replacing it...should I be going with a unit that has a separate audio and video output or should I try and utilize the processing and switching capabilities of a new receiver?

thanks,

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-16-2012, 06:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 20
You need to list a budget, but I (and others, I'm sure) would highly recommend an Oppo, either the BDP-103 (the newest model, and the one I just upgraded to), at $499, or go back one generation to the BDP-93. You might be able to pick up a used 93 here or on audiogon for $100-200 less. Either of these units will easily meet all of your qualifications, but the 103 ups the ante by giving you two HDMI inputs (one front and one back), to which you can connect another source (cable/satellite box, video streaming device, etc.) and utilize the very nice video chip of the 103. It's like buying a 3D blu-ray player with fantastic DVD upscaling capabilities, as well as a small video processor, all for the incredible price of $499. Also, Oppo is very good with providing firmware updates, and their customer service is usually fantastic.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
post #3 of 7 Old 12-16-2012, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

I honestly don't care what it costs...I'll spend up to 1000ish. Maybe a little bit more.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-16-2012, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

how would the 500 dollar Onkyo blu ray player compare to the Oppo 105?
post #5 of 7 Old 12-16-2012, 07:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
First, the best player out there is the Oppo 105. It has the best audio DACs (better than the $1000 Denon you mention), and also an excellent upscaling chip for SD DVDs. Of course, if you won't be using the analog audo outs, then go with the Oppo 103.
Second, you're supposed to use the "OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE" thread for such queries (the mods will be shutting down this thread soon).
Third, look through the dedicated Denon and Oppo threads to read up more on them.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-16-2012, 07:33 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE81 View Post

how would the 500 dollar Onkyo blu ray player compare to the Oppo 105?

The Oppo seems the one most would recommend in the 1000ish price range. It should be better all around compared to the $500.00 Onkyo, I would think.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-05-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE81 View Post

I am just unsure what to pick up for a new unit. I looked a lot at the Denon 3313 BD player...I cannot find any information no matter how hard I search (put hours into searching google and this forum)...

I have a pretty extensive collection of movies (about 1200 or so) in 2 mega racks I built...standard dvds...my blu ray collection is just starting. I picked up a new Samsung PN51E8000 on Amazon with a significant discount and 200 dollar gift card that I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of.

So ultimately I have a few major concerns...

-I want to be sure audio/video processing is the same if not better than my current HQV chip is in my 3930, I am still very concerned with having a solid upconverter and SQ for older cds etc (I love watching standard movies, but I'm running out of room to house components)

-I am also concerned with blu-ray and 3d bd performance

-Lastly, I will be changing my receiver as my AVR7300 from Harman Kardon is dying...its either an Onkyo TX-NR5010 or Denon AVR-4520CI that will be replacing it...should I be going with a unit that has a separate audio and video output or should I try and utilize the processing and switching capabilities of a new receiver?

thanks,

Mike

I’m using Denon AVR-5420ci with OPPO-103
I have a lot of knowledge about those two; both good and bad…
I’m curious if you made your moves and what did you get.
Thanks
Joe,
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page