post #181 of 191 Old 05-09-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman512 View Post

Just got a flycam 3 today. Two day delivery from India looking forward to trying this out. Anyone used a mini steadycam or similar before?

I have a Blackbird stabilizer with a Steadicam vest and arm. It's great. I haven't used it as much as I'd like to yet, but I want to create an entirely separate companion piece for my Botanical Garden video. It'll be a real-time walk through of different areas within the Garden. There's nothing quite like a Steadicam-type device to breathe life into a video, and I think it works great in 3D. It's also a constant reminder that edge violations are no big deal. Indeed, if one were adamant about eliminating edge violations from a 3D video, you'd pretty much eliminate the use of a Steadicam. IMO, that's the biggest single reason James Cameron claims that the "edge violation rule" has no place in 3D storytelling. You simply can't move the camera around to tell a story freely without breaking that rule constantly.
guitarman512 likes this.

Joe Clark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 191 Old 05-09-2014, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Cool I've checked out a lot of youtube steadycam stuff and think it would look pretty good in 3d - plus this flyboy 3 only cost me 28 Pounds (43 Dollars) delivered. It looks a handy tool ;0)
post #183 of 191 Old 05-09-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm sure you'll have fun with it. smile.gif

Some people are naturals with stabilizers. I tend to have trouble holding them steady, and that's why I ended up with a vest and arm. It takes practice to get good with one, but the benefits are undeniable. The lighter they are, they easier they are to hold for longer periods of time, but the harder they are to control. With a hand held stabilizer, get used to shooting shorter shots. Even a couple of pounds can be fatiguing. A feather touch helps, and coffee is your enemy. smile.gif
guitarman512 likes this.

Joe Clark

post #184 of 191 Old 05-21-2014, 04:11 AM

Hi Guys, heres my latest video upload - Seaworld, Orlando best 3D part at around 23:40 fishes flying about!! I tried some colour corrections on the underwater parts though and they dont all work out well. Check it out and let me know what you think. I think I'll redo the underwater scenes as they dont look as good on Tv as they do on anaglph on the PC ;0)

https://www.youtube.com/user/256daddycool
post #185 of 191 Old 05-21-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 38
The video is very nice. Did you do any stabilization or sharpening to it? I watched in full screen on my 27" passive monitor, and the image holds up very well. Only complaint is I couldn't adjust the separation so it appeared a bit flat. I would have liked a little more depth adjustment. The fish scenes were very cool though.
post #186 of 191 Old 05-21-2014, 11:30 AM

No stabilization nor sharpening it was all handheld. I did Wedding videos in the 80's so try to have a steady hand! I thought it had pretty realistic depth considering the distance of the performance shots. I do think that poor compression on youtube flattens the image somewhat. In HD this really pops ;0)
post #187 of 191 Old 05-21-2014, 11:36 AM

I never tried adjusting the depth. I may need to experiment a bit ;0)
post #188 of 191 Old 05-21-2014, 01:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Nice job, guitarman. You know how to tell a story in video. smile.gif

Here's the thing about "depth" with these narrow interaxial camcorders (Sony TD10, JVC TD1, and others of similar design): past about 20-30 feet or so, things flatten out dramatically and often there isn't a lot you can do about it. If you zoom in (which is unavoidable in many cases), things flatten out even more and you get the cardboard cutout effect. Objects may maintain their relative 3D depth, but the objects themselves look like cutouts, not real 3D objects. If I don't have any foreground or middle ground objects in the frame, I sometimes "push" the video back into the box a little (with stereoscopic adjustment). This gives the flat 3D image a bit of "depth," but it's artificial and not very satisfying. If I have a great looking 3D long shot, but no sense of depth, I also may be able to salvage it by using it as a title shot. The title sits at the screen plane and the good looking background lies "underneath" it.

A stereo base extender can give much more distant objects a sense of depth, but it limits where you can place objects in the foreground. That's why I've grown to appreciate the decision that companies like Sony and JVC made by choosing a narrow interaxial distance for their consumer camcorders. It works pretty well in a variety of settings, such as fun parks like this one. For those situations where it doesn't you have to use a better tool - like a SBE for distant subjects or a macro lens for close ups.

IMO, all these things are just the price we pay for having 3D at this level, and overall they represent a great value. Frankly, 3-4 years ago I would have bet we wouldn't have this much high def 3D shooting and editing capability in 2014. However, that doesn't mean I don't want more, and I'll continue to ask for it. I'm getting spoiled. biggrin.gif
guitarman512 likes this.

Joe Clark

post #189 of 191 Old 05-22-2014, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Enjoyed your Seaworld video. I like seeing what others do with a same place I've been. Shooting in crowds is especially challenging as a tourist. For so many years I shot professionally in places like this and always had the luxury of having a safe zone where the public had to stay out of my shot. As one of the tourist, we have to blend in and work with the crowds. If we bring too much pro gear in these places, like a steadicam vest and arm, a stereo base extender, or more than one camera, you also can get targeted by security as a professional and that can cause it's own issues. The new challenge is shooting with results and blending in to look just like another tourist.

Yesterday, I just finished "repairing" a shoot in California Adventures at Disneyland. I had lots of problems with the shoot that became a real challenge in post. I had planned to use my tripod and Z10K with the new wide angle lens to shoot World of Color. I was told to get there early and also a Fast Pass to get better location. Did all that but discovered the Fast Pass only got me in before others but they wanted me down in front where I couldn't shoot the whole scene, after begging, they let me over the ropes and into the "Non-Fast Pass" area. next- I get to my scouted location and set up the tripod and a security man came right over and told me I couldn't use that. So, I took it down and asked, is my Monopod OK? he said that will not be a problem. Now I'm wishing I had my TD10 because it handles easier on the Monopod. About then my worst nightmare showed up. A couple with their adult son, who was blind, and had Turrets Syndrome among other issues was wheeled in right beside me, within inches. Now I could have moved but where? The place was shoulder to shoulder packed. My wife was shoved in up against me so we couldn't move. I can deal with that but the pushing and shoving made dealing with the monopod and severely top heavy Z10K impossible. But that was not what bothered me. It was the blind person with Turrets syndrome who never stopped yelling out gibberish and profanities for the 15 minutes prior to the show. The parents just said "Sorry" to the people around us but never offered to leave. Not that there was a way to move through the crowds anyway. Besides the blind person was probably 400 pounds and had a habit of screaming out as he would throw his arms around, hitting me and the person on the other side until his father restrained him with some sort of velcro ties to the arms of the wheel chair. Two Disney cast members were near by but just shrugged when I stared them down and made a gesture to do something. Fortunately, the guy settled down after about 10 minutes into the show but then blurted out during the quieter passages.

So, you have this once in a lifetime event you can shoot, have no plans to ever go back, and these kind of things happen. What do you do? I was able to edit the sound track with lots of work and noise reduction in parts to a point where the profanities are nearly undetectable so I can show this piece to family and not be embarrassed. I do wish Disney would build a World of Color show here in Florida so I could return and shoot it when the park is less crowded. It's an amazing production and captures well on video. Too bad my one time opportunity was ruined. Maybe next time I need to pack a syringe with horse tranquilizer in my kit for times like this.
guitarman512 likes this.
post #190 of 191 Old 05-22-2014, 11:37 AM

Thanks for the nice comments guys, really appreciated ;0D Yeah Don, I agree crowds are a challenge - a lot of shots at the shows were ruined by folks getting into and out of seats jumping up and taking photos etc. thats what editing was invented for I guess smile.gif
Although some of us arrived a little late to the 3D camcorder party I still like to think of us as pioneers!!!
post #191 of 191 Old 05-22-2014, 11:56 AM

Loved the tourettes syndrome story, at Disney's electrical parade I had one Spanish kid who screamed through half of it, while jammed in a crowd and my TD30 in my hand with my outstreached arm as far as it could reach. No way I could move. What made it worse was losing a 32gb Extreme pro SD card while changing cards. What I love about 3D is its not just like watching something - its like re-living it. (at least the good bits - sorry, edited highlights) ;0)
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page