3D presence at NAB 2013 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-08-2013, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Several players from the past that displayed 3D cameras were notably absent this year. Panasonic, did not have anything new. JVC had nothing new.
Sony was the last man standing with new workstation single viewer auto stereo glasses free monitor. This was demoed with Sony Vegas Pro. The monitor looked excellent however was notably half horizontal resolution since the signal from Sony Vegas Pro was using SBS half output. But the 3D depth looked quite good. The auto stereo effect was optimized for one viewer using a tracking camera. I thought the resolution from my Vizio 32" looks better, however.

No new 3D camcorders from any manufacturer. I seems that many of the larger cameras add a 3D syncing connection for variable stereo base rigs, either side by side of over under mirror rigs.

Some of the professional stereographers I talked with today have the opinion that the 3D camcorder designs are about as good as they will be for 3D features. Improvements will only be in the addition of multiple codecs and formats which is coming on board as part of the 4K shift. In the professional side of things, stereographers are preferring more the idea of 4K and twin rigs as opposed to professional 3D camcorder which is too limited 3D for the cost of the camcorder.

Sony also demoed a small hardware interface for editors to manipulate the 3D z depth of layered elements along with motion keyframes. This attaches to the computer and interfaces with Vegas Pro as a plugin.

Varizoom showed its hard wired remote control unit for the Panasonic Z100000. I was planning to buy one of these but I managed to build my own that works very well for my purpose.

RED was showing their new digital media player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-09-2013, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for your report Don. Disappointing that there are no new cameras. I would like a TD10 that has 50p or even 24p support. At the moment I use premiere pro with cineform to edit 3D. I then use Vegas Pro to encode MVC and then DVD Architect pro for blu-ray authoring. I use QTGMC for de-interlacing which takes hours. I have read reports that Adobe is increasing its 3D support did you see anything at the show.?
post #3 of 9 Old 04-09-2013, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I may try to schedule some time today to sit in on a premiere pro session. Yesterday, the adobe sessions were standing room only. It has the largest presentation seating in the convention and it was packed. I still need to see a rep about why they deactivated my CS3. I do not like how adobe now only rents their products but that's just my opinion. Clearly, the attendees are mesmerized by their products. I think Final Cut Pro has fallen from grace. smile.gif

The camera issue is not so important since it seems the only direction they can go with 3D camcorders is 4K. Likely they are just not ready for that yet. Besides, as I said for 3D most stereographers are preferring twin camera rigs for field production and movie making. The use in the range of scene size offered by 3D camcorders is very limited for such a special tool. If home movies in 3D ever catches on with general consumers, then we may see a 24P offered in a TD30 like consumer camcorder. For serious hobbyists like us, we have plenty of tools to use now. I'm enjoying getting to know the Z10k . Except for the large size, compared to the TD10, it contains all the features I need to bridge the gap between my TD 10 and the twin rigs I have.
post #4 of 9 Old 04-09-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Thanks, Don. Looks like progress has slowed dramatically for 3D camcorder innovations. Now that I'm getting to spend some quality time with the Panasonic Z10000, I really, really like it. I just finished a demo video for Cyclopital3D, featuring their 22mm equivalent wide angle and fisheye adapters. I'll post a link in the Z10k thread later today. I believe the 22mm wide adapter especially will become a regular fixture for me going forward. The combination of the slightly wider stereo base (compared to the Sony TD10 and JVC TD1/HMZ1) and the wider angle lens gives an extremely satisfying sense of depth, even without a stereo base extender. It's a remarkable improvement for my footage in that regard. The lenses in the Cyclopital3D Panasonic adapters are also very high quality, and thus they introduce very little in the way of distortion. I know the people from Cyclopital3D are at NAB, but I don't know if they have a booth.

Joe Clark

post #5 of 9 Old 04-09-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

BTW, I'm starting a filter/closeup adapter video for Cyclopital3D in a couple of days. I'll also post a link for that in the Z10k thread when it's finished.

Joe Clark

post #6 of 9 Old 04-09-2013, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I got with a rep at Adobe today who listened to my complete story and he promised to get the issue resolved. He said there was a similar problem with the Ultra serial number server and he will send me a patch to fix that too.

They have a NAB show special now on the Cloud version do CS for $29.99 per month.

I got with a Panasonic rep today and put the 3D question to him, why no 3D at NAB? Actually they do but it is a new line of projectors. He said they showed their current line for 2 and 3 years now and had nothing new for this year. The push this year is, indeed 4K and they haven't even started shipping that yet. The timeline for this will be once the 4K 2D stuff is shipping they will be upgrading the 3D line for 4K as well but he said this is unlikely to be out until 2 more years. They are working on them now but the 2D versions have the priority. I'm betting some will say 3D is dead at Panasonic but the rep said definitely not. Nothing has been discontinued, just nothing 3D 4K this year and maybe not next year.

I didn't see cyclopital. Not on my list.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-12-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

BTW, I'm starting a filter/closeup adapter video for Cyclopital3D in a couple of days. I'll also post a link for that in the Z10k thread when it's finished.

Hey Joe, did you ever get your issues with the GS-TD1 resolved? I am on my second one and it also developed the right camera/lens out of focus issue. I'm at the point that I'm not using it for 3D anymore, just 2D, but it's got a great 2D picture and I got it at a decent price so I'm not horribly angry about it. I'm just trying to figure out what's up with it. Seems like a design flaw. I posted a video of it here:
http://youtu.be/UDYJaT3pEf0
hoping to get bites. I suspect it's not a programming issue but a mechanical issue.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-13-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I never had a real problem with my right image being out of focus. Others did, but mine is quite good. I wouldn't settle for using it simply as a 2D camera (though I used it for a huge project I did for my parish, and it worked great). Hold JVC accountable and have them make it right.

Joe Clark

post #9 of 9 Old 04-13-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

I never had a real problem with my right image being out of focus. Others did, but mine is quite good. I wouldn't settle for using it simply as a 2D camera (though I used it for a huge project I did for my parish, and it worked great). Hold JVC accountable and have them make it right.

Problem for me is I got a good deal on it because I purchased it overseas via a third party in Japan. I used them also for when I sent it back because I did send it back once. JVC sent it to them, they did some testing and the problem remained. So they sent it back to JVC who then sent a new one which seemed fine for a few days or so then the problem came back. For me to send it round trip to Japan isn't cheap unless I use a slow boat method. We'll see. Maybe I'll do it again but for the price I got it for, and I bought it new, it's a great 2D camcorder. Just sending it back again may not be cost effective and although I really like 3D, not everyone can enjoy it and it's easier to edit 2D. I've looked at other footage shot by this model on Youtube and other sites and have noticed a similar soft right image which again, makes me wonder if it isn't a faulty manufacturing process which leaves me also to think I'm not surprised that JVC doesn't have another 3D offering. Someone else on this forum told me that they even had the right lens issue with the SONY 3D competing camcorder but that Sony fixed it. I may end up sending it back again, but I'm starting to feel like it's pointless. Seems new units don't have the issue right away. So maybe if I send it back I would have them repair the exact unit I send rather than sending a new unit again only for the issue to rear it's ugly head yet again. Really leads me to think something mechanically is failing, maybe becoming loose or something? Somehow the right lens becomes PHYSICALLY uncalibrated after a day or so of use, whereas JVC reprogramming the device doesn't resolve the issue. Frankly I'd really like to fix it myself. I bought the repair manual and have taken it apart to a point, but the ribbon cables and their connectors scare me. So delicate if I break one I'm screwed.
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page