I do not understand how "3D ready" works (need help!) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-09-2013, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

I am just about to give up on 3D, I just don't seem to understand how it works.

I have an Acer X1311WH 3D ready projector, a pair of DLP Link glasses that have great reviews, 2 different PCs and the Stereoscopic Player software. I think I tried everything but I can't seem to get any 3D image :/

- The projector is set to 1280x800 (its native resolution) at 120 Hz (also tried it with 1024x768) via HDMI
- The glasses are turned on and working
- I have a few sample files in various formats
- I play those samples on either a Zotac MAG (Atom/ION) or a i5-760 Quad with a ATI 5770 on stereoscopic player

Nothing works, no 3D at all. Can anyone point me in the right direction, please?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-10-2013, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Hmm, your PCs sounds like they should not have a problem. You might want to check over in the PC forum, or even another ACER projector forum. It's been two years since I used a PC to drive my projectors, and it was not a pleasant experience--just too many glitches. I think your best opportunity to see 3D is with a bluray player in your PC and PowerDVD software or similar, and a 3D bluray movie. That said for the Stereoscopic Player software to work and 3D games (I'm assuming that is where your are headed), you need to force the ATI 5770 to send out frame sequential 3D--so the software needs to do this. Do not select Side-by-Side, top/bottom, field-sequential (interlaced), or checkerboard DLP(which is used by some LCDs). "3D ready" projectors only support frame sequential--sending an image to each eye in 60hz or two images in 120hz--why they need to be set to 120hz. Also, do not confuse with frame-packing, which is what the bluray does--sends two stacked images in one frame. You also might have to select something at the ATI driver level--and for some computers, even do a registry hack (I had to). The projector needs to be set to 3D mode in the IMAGE menu--Turn 3D on and select: DLPlink (not nvidia vision) through the menu. It does not automatically go into this mode even if the PC is sending a 3D signal. The screen will suddenly get whiter and lose contrast. This is due to the DLPlink sync signal being sent to work the shutters on the glasses. If you get inverted 3D--left eye/right eye is switched, then select 3D sync invert. The ATI 5770 does support 3D with the proper drivers, so it should work. You're probably in the wrong forum for help, though--go to one of the projector or PC forums for more help. Good luck. You can turn your projector into one that can handle all 3D formats by getting a 3DXL box or similar (check out Amazon), if you want to stop using your PC and hook up an external playstation, 3D bluray, 3D cable box, media streamer, etc.

Also, frame sequential is the same a page-flipping. And also force your software to output 720p (1280x720)--yes your projector is 1280x800, but don't worry, the projector knows how to handle 720p. You might have to select this at the ATI driver level--think of your projector as you would your PC monitor and set the monitor resolution as you would normally--right click the mouse-select change resolution or go into you AMD control panel--and make sure you have the latest AMD drivers. The projector can handle 1080p, but will have to rescale it, and the 3D might not work properly.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-11-2013, 02:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input, that would be very helpful if ... well, if the projector would not have stopped working a few hours ago wink.gif

Thanks to Amazon, who were kind enough to offer a complete refund for it, even though I used it for 10 months(!), I will now upgrade to a either the Acer 6510BD or the BenQ W1070 smile.gif
post #4 of 9 Old 04-11-2013, 07:04 AM

The Acer appears to be a light cannon and lower priced but no lens shift--not familiar with it. The BenQ has less lumens and lens shift and is highly rated in the US. To me it would depend on your environment. If you watch with room light on at night and during the day with light coming in through windows, then the ACER is probably the best choice. If you have a darkened theater environment, then I'm thinking the BenQ would provide a more pleasing image.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-11-2013, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

I just bought the BenQ. At a price of 725 €, which is 25 € lower than the Acer, the value-for-money seems unbeatable.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-12-2013, 07:55 AM

Let me know how you like it for 3D. I think you'll be very happy with the Benq.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-17-2013, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Received it this morning, tested it in the afternoon and tonight. Just packed it up again. Couldn't test 3D though, due to the lack of glasses.

A little summary, compared to the sub-400 €, 800p Acer X1311 (which apparently is some kind of wondermachine):

[*] Black levels are horrible. I project onto a dark grey screen and with the Acer, there was no visible light in completely black scenes (or black bars in 2.35:1 movies). The BenQ lights the screen up to a medium grey. Reducing the brightness results in losing details in darker scenes.
[*] The BenQ is louder than the Acer, which was considered defective by the manufacturer due to its noise level.
[*] The worst thing on the BenQ was leaking light. I had a really bright, 1 meter long and 3 cm thick, spot of light on my white wall, about 1 meter above my screen.

[*] Colors on the Benq are fantastic out-of-the-box.
[*] The upgrade in resolution is obviously a plus, I did expect a greater improvement though. Maybe I need to get my eyes checked.
[*] Image size - a big plus! 200 cm (Acer) vs. 290 cm (BenQ) at the same distance.

All in all, the black levels and the light leaking are unacceptable for me. I could live with that, in exchange for the besser resolution and the great colors, but not a double the price of the Acer. I will order another unit of the X1311 tomorrow and maybe upgrade at a later date again.

Sooooo, I'll get back to you about 3D on the Acer soon wink.gif
post #8 of 9 Old 04-18-2013, 09:05 AM

Wow, I'm surprised you didn't like it. Of course, you can adjust the contrast to a better black level I think. You might have had it on bright mode, which is what is set up for 3D. Plus the Benq has full 3D features, whereas the Acer requires a PC. The leaking light--not sure, they all have some light leak due to the fan locations. Oh well, hope you have better luck with another Acer.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-18-2013, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

I must say I was pretty disappointed that I didn't like it, too. I really wanted too. Maybe the Acer is just too good to be true? I don't know.

There's a scene at the beginning of BBC's "Life" where the Earth is shown on a completely black background and slowly fills up the frame - with the Acer, there is no visible light in the black area on my grey screen in a darkened room, absolutely nothing. On the BenQ, the whole screen was lit up to, say, 80% black (I'm a print guy, so I can only express myself in CMYK terms).

I've tried all the picture settings on the BenQ in Eco and SmartEco Modes as these were the ones I would've used.
Reply 3D Source Components

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page