Anyone own a Sony td hdr 30? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 05-10-2013, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I can't find a single expert review and only three owner reviews on amazon.
How good is it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 05-11-2013, 08:37 PM

Liked: 13
I just got the HDR-30 about a month ago and used for a 2 week vacation through Europe..The camera worked Great! Video quality was superb and the 3D was very engaging

I would suggest that you get a few extra batteries for when shooting in 3D battery life was less than an hour.. I got the wall battery charger with the extra battery kit from Sony I actually got 2 extra batteries and having the extra power worked well..You do have to buy an SD Card so that's an extra expense but you can find on usually on sale on Amazon or Best Buy..I got the 64 Gig San Disk I think its the Ultra but might be the Extreme it is the one with the 45 MB write speed and no problems at all..It also shoots still pics at 20 MB with lots of detail and good color..I work in television and was extremely pleased with the 2D video quality and the 3D was incredible.

Any questions you might have feel free to ask

Hunter
post #3 of 32 Old 05-12-2013, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Can the depth be adjusted? How is the 3d for outdoor stuff? I have been using a Panasonic 3d1 and am worried about how much closer the lenses on the Sony are, compared to my 3d1.
Also, how is the sound? Is it full range, is there good seperation?
Can you take the SD card out, put it into a 3d bluray player ( I have a panny 220) and watch it ?
I'll be traveling next month, probably take 1-2 hours of video tops- do you think I could get buy with two batteries?
post #4 of 32 Old 05-12-2013, 06:49 PM

Liked: 13
Yes the depth can be adjusted although I have it set to auto till I get a feel for the 3D over time..I thought the sound was very good but did not listen to it on a full surround system yet..Im not sure about the blu-ray player using the SD Card into it I'm actually trying to find that out myself I have heard that it can be done on the new Panny blu-rays but not sure of the model number..I think 2 batteries should be suffice for that amount of video just charge them each night so you always have the back up...again I would get the wall chargers so you don' have to use the camera to charge the battery it is just easier or get 1 wall charger and then you can charge 1 battery in the wall and 1 in the camera
post #5 of 32 Old 05-13-2013, 11:12 AM

Liked: 12
I've got the HDR TD20v .....

go here and buy it

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/838301-REG/Sony_HDR_TD20V_S_HDR_TD20V_Full_HD_3D.html

no tax , free shipping , reputable ...

Listen , the HDR-td20-V is the SAME CAMERA as the HDR 30 ...the ONLY difference is the HDR30 doesn't have 64GB of on board memory and they removed the manual focus control knob for 3D ...

The HDR 30 is actually a downgrade ... they made it this way so they could lower the price point , the prior model the 20 sold for about 1500 new ...

if you don't believe me , go to the Sony website and pull up the PR page for the HDR 20 , and the HDR 30 ... scroll down to the feature list and compare them side by side .... they moved the words around a little , but the features are exactly the same ...

save yourself some money and buy last years model ...

As for the 3D ...... meh .....going into this i was really excited for 3D ... what helped me buy this camera was it's strong 2D filming . i had delusions of being able to make great 3D video with this thing ..and after using it for awhile i have to admit that what i read is true ....The 3D is great for shooting things like kids ( which if you look at their promotional material is the focus ) but not much else since the field of 3D is rather limited ..

I will also say that the Camera feels very lightweight and breakable ... but it DOES perform well ...

i spent alot of money on this thing 899 ....so far i'm SO, SO on it ... if your looking for one camera to rule them all then this might be it , with great 2D and the ablity to capture 3D , this thing should be future proof for at least a few more years .
KenjiAoi likes this.
post #6 of 32 Old 05-13-2013, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Do the 20 and 30 both have the exact same sensors, lenses and stabilization?
post #7 of 32 Old 05-13-2013, 01:02 PM

near as I could tell their identical ...
post #8 of 32 Old 05-13-2013, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

How does the picture quality of the Sony HD TDR 20 or 30 compare to the panasonic 3d1 (my present camera)?
post #9 of 32 Old 05-13-2013, 05:49 PM

This is gonna take me sometime , I have to hook up my 3d monitor that I have by my desk but don't actually use that often ...

looking at the 2D , I would say your Camera is OK as far as video quality goes , but I definitely think the 20V is better ...also you need to be aware that the 20V does NOT take 3 D photo's ... I don't remember if the 30 does , but if I recall right it also does not take 3D pictures . i'll get back to you in a bit on the 3D comparison .

if your talking about still pictures , I can't really quantify that , I've taken a few stills with it and they seem fine , the promotional material says it can take up to 20MP still pictures ...

http://store.sony.com/p/Handycam-Full-HD-3D-Camcorder/en/p/HDRTD20V#features
post #10 of 32 Old 05-13-2013, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

I don't think the 30 takes 3d pics, I am going to keep using the 3d1 for that.The 20mp figure for sony pics is probably for interpolated processing.Makes for good selling points.
post #11 of 32 Old 05-13-2013, 07:25 PM

hey as far as video goes ... to be honest I cannot give you my own opinion on videos from your camera vs video's from my camera ... There are so many 3D displays , and each of them are different ... I happen to have a low end computer monitor , so what plays well for me , may not play well for you or look awful ... I suggest you log onto YouTube and watch some 3D video's for yourself , there is test footage for both Cameras on there in 3d .
post #12 of 32 Old 05-16-2013, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

How much 3D recording time can a 32g sd chip hold?
post #13 of 32 Old 05-16-2013, 06:54 PM

well the specs on my camera show that the internal HD which is 64GB can hold 4:55 minutes of 3D footage , so divide that in half and there you go .
post #14 of 32 Old 05-20-2013, 05:00 PM

Liked: 10
Replying Depression4u,

I trust your words completely after I've found that TD30 is still unavailable in Japan (as until today 21May, 2013)! How is it possible? Japanese are complaining all over the internet (Japanese forums). Sony posts nothing about the TD30 on Japan official website. But strange enough, the Pal version is officially supplied to it's neighbors such as China and Hong Kong while Taiwan and Korea gets the NTSC version. Put it this way, it's available worldwide except Japan!!! HUH?

I am not sure if your statement "The HDR 30 is actually a downgrade....." is accurate but I do agree with you that TD30 has nothing at all to compete with an year-old brother.

Thanks for your heads up! Cheers.
post #15 of 32 Old 05-21-2013, 10:26 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Depression4u View Post

I've got the HDR TD20v .....

go here and buy it

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/838301-REG/Sony_HDR_TD20V_S_HDR_TD20V_Full_HD_3D.html

•Shoot Full HD 3D in 1920 x 1080 60p/24p

This is not true. 24p is selectable only in 2D mode.
post #16 of 32 Old 05-22-2013, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Got my hd 30 today.I paid $1,000 for it, came with USA warranty and a package of goodies which included an extra battery, charger, case, 32g card, screen protectors and a tripod. One interesting thing- the battery will fit my old Sony HC3! However, my batteries from my Sony HC3 won't fit the hdr td 30. What this means is that if you just happen to have a wall charger from that series of camera, you can probably use it to charge up the batteries for the HDR TD 30.
Initial impressions- I like the LCD screen.Zoom is quiet. I took the card out of the cam, put into my Panny 220 bluray player, video played just fine.
Sound sucks though. The 5.1 digital creator thing appears to be no more than stereo sent to five channels. The cam has only two mics that I can see, under the lens. I took it in the yard, even though there was a bird chirping from the far right of me,it played back from the middle speaker (the 5.1 lights were on my receiver).
I'll probably break out my old Cascade audio surround mic for my next trip and plug it in.
Don't understand why Sony still won't allow people to take 3d stills with these cams, I'll just have to bring along my panny 3d1.
Pq is better than 3d1, looks like high def. The 3d1, as much as I like it, has video quality that often looks more like dvd. I guess that is the cost of doing sbs.
The Sony also has manual and auto depth setting. I wonder if the auto setting works to play with the depth, to "enhance" things, to compensate for small IA.
Yes, the 3d doesn't look as dramatic as the 3d1 but the picture overall looks better. Just pointing and shooting at the mountains makes for a 2d looking video, when I got a tree in my yard in the forground, it still looked good.
The camera has pretty good stabilzation. However, it is pretty small. I'll dig out my old L bracket, attach with surround mic on top, look forward to using it next month.
post #17 of 32 Old 05-24-2013, 11:13 AM

glad to hear your happy with your buy.
post #18 of 32 Old 05-24-2013, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, i am happy with the cam but a little disappointed with the sound.
If you want to plug in a different mic, the mic jack is under a flap on the side with the screen, the worst place in the world for it.You won't be able to close screen without removing the mic plug and I fear frequent unplugging/plugging will wear out the jack. If you don't have the VMCK100 adapter, it would be tempting to drill a hole in the side flap so that you can use the mic input without having that laerge falp open. I can understand how Sony doesn't want you to use a non Sony mic, I get it. However, they should offer some mics for sale! My Sony blutooth mic seems to work with it (yeah!) as does my Sony stereo mic ,Sony ECMHST1. If you want a good cheap mic that works with the active shoe, you can find used ones for $60.
Lucky for me, I have a VMCK100 adapter from my old Sony hC3. It took a little wiggling, but it fit into the active shoe and immediately, the cam defaulted to 2channel. So, I can use one of my vive mics. I might try glueing the mic to the adapter as my L bracket doesn't clear the screen and on the other side, blocks my hand.
I emailed Sony about optional surround mics and they said that they will all default to stereo mode. I'm still waiting on a response from Sony but I am dead set positive that this camera has only two mics and "makes" 5.1, sort of like how prologic IIx takes stereo and makes surround, hence the name "Dolby Digital 5.1 Creator" on the cam. The cam has a little 5 channel graph telling output in five channels, but the only thing it tells me is that it like a mono mike. Make a loud sound from any side of the cam and all 5 little graphs blip up. Think of the cam as producing 5 channels of monophonic sound and you got it right..
It does seem to really suck down batteries. I have the aftermarket battery that came with it and a Sony. I have only charged the aftermarket one, but it seems like it takes forever to charge, so I'll travel with two chargers. If I run out of juice, I'll just rely on my 3d1 until I can get those batteries charged.

Update:
I asked in an email if this cam had 5 mic elements or just two, and it takes that signal and uses electronic processing to make "5.1". Here is the response- note how they tiptoe around the question:

"I underdstand your concern. The Camcorder has only one Built-in Zoom Microphone which records the sound in 5.1 channel.

Thank you for understanding."

I think the key word here is "records". The sound is recorded as 5 channels, but it really is picked up as 2 channel stereo.
post #19 of 32 Old 05-25-2013, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
For the older TD10, you can set the audio recording to 2.0 too. And yes, you need an adapter to use a microphone from a third party supplier - but that works fine.

That is worser is the situation that you cannot adjust the audio pegel - only in two steps with the TD10 at least (and I think that will be similar for the TD20 and TD30). rolleyes.gif

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #20 of 32 Old 05-25-2013, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

The adapter is hard to find in the U.S.. It is one of those discontinued items that you can probably find but have to pay a lot. I just did a search on ebay, amazon, etc and found only one place selling it and they are in Australia..
You can select 5.1 or 2.0 on the TD HDR 30.. All that means is, do you want your stereo to be recorded as stereo, or do you want your camera do take that stereo and "turn" it into 5.1? If you pick the latter, then you letting your camera do the work of your receiver (on a the reciever you can choose Dolby or DTS to convert 2.0 to 5.1/6.1 and so one)
post #21 of 32 Old 05-25-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I use this one

http://www.amazon.com/Satechi-MSA-2-Interface-Universal-Adapter/dp/B004IVI87E/ref=pd_sim_sbs_p_6

and that is available in the States too.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #22 of 32 Old 05-25-2013, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

That's not the adapter I am talking about.
The one I am talking about is this:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://static.bhphoto.com/images/images345x345/479976.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/479976-REG/Sony_VMCK100_VMC_K100_Microphone_Adapter.html&h=345&w=345&sz=12&tbnid=szf6QCmysJvRXM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=90&zoom=1&usg=___umo7OAheLmtwKMMTGce0cfqmfA=&docid=TnCV9tA7WV5T4M&sa=X&ei=p_qgUbSPGqTKiwLh_4DQAg&ved=0CDsQ9QEwAw&dur=1254

The mic plugs into it and signal goes through the activeshoe. Using this means I don't have to use the cam's mic input which is in the worst imagineable place.
They could have easily put it on the other side but they wanted to make sure that it would be in a place where the cord would dangle in front of the LCD, a place where you can't close the fragile LCD screen if the mic is still plugged in.
post #23 of 32 Old 05-25-2013, 01:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 101
dclark- I thought the TD30 used the same mic technology as the TD10 and TD20. Are you saying the mic on the TD30 is a simple stereo mic?

FYI- the mic element in the TD10 and TD20 is a quad discrete element and from those 4 channels, the front center and LFE channels are created. I saw the TD30 at CES but didn't pay close attention to the mic used.

Sony did make a quad element 5.1 mic that plugs into the active shoe but these have been discontinued. I got one from Japan and the advantage is it places the element on top of the camcorder and it is shock mounted. The main advantage here is I can record 5.1 and use a wind fur. The under the lens cam mic cannot support a wind fur.
post #24 of 32 Old 05-25-2013, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

dclark- I thought the TD30 used the same mic technology as the TD10 and TD20. Are you saying the mic on the TD30 is a simple stereo mic?

FYI- the mic element in the TD10 and TD20 is a quad discrete element and from those 4 channels, the front center and LFE channels are created. I saw the TD30 at CES but didn't pay close attention to the mic used.

Sony did make a quad element 5.1 mic that plugs into the active shoe but these have been discontinued. I got one from Japan and the advantage is it places the element on top of the camcorder and it is shock mounted. The main advantage here is I can record 5.1 and use a wind fur. The under the lens cam mic cannot support a wind fur.

Yeah, I am saying it is just a stereo mic. Without taking the screen off, I can't tell you if it is two mics elements or four in a little row. I have tried experimenting with the stock one, most extreme was videoing my daughter while we are talking and even though I am directly in back of the cam and daughter was 8' in front, I got no discrete sound from my system (I run Audessy 11.1 with Dolby prologic IIx) it all came from the front, mostly center channel. With my VIVE, much more discrete, if I am talking while videoing, my voice comes from the back speakers. I have used this mic a lot, I put a Radio Shack foam ball wind scree over it. One nice thing is having the mic above cam- makes for better sound that something crunched together under a lens barrell.
Sony told me that no previous Sony surround mic can produce 5.1 on this cam.
Does your mic allow for true 5.1 sound? What mic is it?
post #25 of 32 Old 05-25-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Does your mic allow for true 5.1 sound? What mic is it?

I have several Sony mics that plug into the hot shoe connector on top of my TD10. One of them, the one that is discontinued puts the camera into 5.1 mode as indicated on the LCD screen. I popped the top cover of this mic and it has four mic elements in a square, one in each corner aimed outward. The other mics I have are stereo twin element and a shotgun with different shotgun modes. I also have a BT wireless remote with an IFB feature.
The cam mics on the TD10 have a strange configuration as two of them is in the bottom of the camera aimed toward the rear and the other 2 are across the front at the bottom of the lens. I never popped the cover off but at one NAB show they has a breakout of this camcorder with no case showing all the internal parts.
Last year at CES they had a similar skeleton view of the TD30. I'll have to take a look to see if I can tell from my photos if it has more than 2 mics. I know they really cut down on the internal features on the TD30, compared to the 20.
Also, FYI - The TD30 is made from recycled parts. Sony had a huge display bragging about that to appeal to the environmentalist. If you're into that sort of thing, now you can brag that your camcorder is made from 100% recycled. smile.gif
I recall they said the plastic case is made from ground up CD's.
post #26 of 32 Old 05-25-2013, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Could you tell me the model number of the mic that gives you 5.1?
post #27 of 32 Old 05-26-2013, 12:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-ECM-L100-Dolby-Digital-5-1-surround-microphone-/120976206452

Here is a used one. You would have to test to see if it is compatible with your TD30. I only used it with the SR12 and the TD10.

Keep in mind the only advantage I found with the SR12 and TD10 is the ability to put a wind fur over it to cut wind noise. The new ones came with a fur and draw string bag. The actual channel separation was about the same as the internal 5.1 mic which was excellent. If you're trying to achieve 100% sound isolation none of these will do that. But with a 5.1 sound system you can get directivity.
post #28 of 32 Old 05-26-2013, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I was hoping that it was the Sony ECM-HQP1 that worked for you as I have its stereo version and like the design, plus how the the mics are higher up and pointing at 45 degrees (that's on the surround version that I don't have), but I'll give it a try.. As far as I can tell, the mics on the 20 and 30 are the same.
There are two mics behind the front grill that faces forward then (maybe), there are two more mics maybe an 1/8" away, directly under those mics, also pointing forward. I say "maybe" as there are two little cutouts under the front grill, maybe the size of a pencil point. At least on the 10, the surround mics, pointing down, are facing a different direction than the fronts.
I have no idea how accurate that little meter is on the camera, but at the very least, if there is only sound coming from behind the cam, the front levels should not be louder than the rear levels. As long as I can some directionality out of the mics, the prologic or DTS mode on my system will do the rest.
. Of course, I can't help but wonder what the sound is like on this:http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666519687
post #29 of 32 Old 05-26-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

dclark- Do you have Sony Vegas Pro with DVD Architect loaded? If so you can pull in the DD5.1 audio from the clip and see the channel separation as you do a walk around with a constant sound generator. Do the test outside in the open to avoid wall reflections.Discrete will never be 100% but you can see the levels change on eack of the four corners and the center channel. The LFE channel has always been low in levels for me but that may be because those low frequencies are just not found in nature all the time.

BTW- the stereo hotshoe mic I have is the ECM HST1 It also comes with a fur for wind noise.

On my TD10 cams, the mics are subdued in the front when I use a filter as this partially blocks the in camera mic. If I need serious 5.1 quality I will put the L100 on top when I have a filter on the lens.
post #30 of 32 Old 05-26-2013, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

No, I don't have it, but was planning on doing something like that when the l100 comes in.
I want to test the l100, the HST1, VIVE and stock cam mics. My plan was to put the cam on a tripod, play a tone on just one speaker (like a steady bias adjustment tone off my Luxman cassette deck) and move the camera at 45 degree positions, recording this tone.After doing this with each mic, I will play back on my system, have set to 5.1 mode.
I'll mount my Radio Shack sound meter to a tripod in middle of room, measure the output from each speaker.
The mic that produces the greatest difference in output between speakers wins!
P.S., I loved the little dead mouse that came with the HST1, was sad when I lost it somewhere in Belize frown.gif
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page