Has the Panasonic 3d1 been discontinued? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-18-2013, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 21
According to this article, yes:
http://3d.coldstreams.com/?p=1775
Since no replacements were shown at CES, it looks like manufactors are walking away from 3d cams.mad.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-22-2013, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 23
It sure seems that way. I had a hell of of time finding a 3D1 in the last 6 months. The only ones that are available for a reasonable price are on E-Bay, but, they all have the Japanese language in the menus.

I was searching for months and a open box unit popped up at J&R recently, so I was finally able to get one. I really like the 3D pictures it takes. I'm not overly thrilled with it's video though. It's video is just not as sharp as what I was hoping for.

I am really hoping that the manufacturers start making more 3d camera's and camcorder's but it's seems like they are going to be making less.

Why don't the Sony 3d camcorders take 3d stills? I assume the JVC 3d camcorders are the only ones that take 3d stills and sharper video than the 3d1?

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
post #3 of 9 Old 05-22-2013, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

I think that the market for 3d consumer cameras is near dead. The 3d1 is gone, Fuji W3 gone, Toshiba gone. I don't know what JVC and Panasonic have, but it is old stuff, they probably have stopped making them too, with any for sale being old stock.,
For all we know, the Sony TD HDR 30 might be the last consumer 3d cam from Sony for awhile.
I keep reading about "Manufactors are preparing for 4k", but that sounds like a desperate way of trying to get people to ditch their sets and get something new.
post #4 of 9 Old 05-26-2013, 03:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The Panasonic Z10000, JVC TD1 and Sony TD10/20/30 are still available (for Sony it is still possible to find the TD10 if you are looking for it).

In addition, for both Sony and JVC the professional versions are available too, what makes a sense if one is looking for 1080 24p:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005QBTEIW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A17MC6HOH9AVE6

What you will not find are new developments. And there was the rumor that the JVC TD1 has been discontinued too.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #5 of 9 Old 05-26-2013, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Still available doesn't necessarily mean still in production. For example, you can still find a new TD 10, but they stopped making those awhile ago, The same probably applies to the TD20. They could have a bunch in a warehouse somewhere, waiting to eventually sell them.
Honestly, I am surprised that Sony makes them at all. The market is pretty small and Sony has been losing lots of money.. I think the market for 3d is near dead, partially because outside of a few movies (like Avatar, Hugo, Promethious) most 3d movies have been stinkers or even worse, were conversions. Call lack of compelling program material a large contributing factor.
Ironically, the best reason for going 3d could be 3d video. Make your own 3d, watch your family grow up in 3d, relive those vacations in 3d.
Blame the people over at marketing.
I predict that 3d consumer cam development will take a little hiatus until the 4k thing blows over. Once joe consumer sees that their regular programing, still in 780p/1080i, doesn't look any better on a 60" 4k set, enthusiasm will die out. Then, after that, we will see glasses-free 3d displays.
That might catch on.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-26-2013, 03:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 210
These camcorders are made on a production run of a preplanned quantity. Then stored in a warehouse until they get low. New models come out replacing the older models. Since the 30 has been released, the production reruns for TD10 and TD20 is over. If you want one and find one, snap it up. After all the new ones are gone, only used ones will remain.
According to Sony rep, the TD10 was the hottest 3D camcorder and had several runs until the TD20 came out which had one major run. Now the TD30 which was designed to appeal to only the consumer with no intention of targeting the serious prosumer. Haven't heard if this stripped down camcorder for 3D is selling or not. One thing is certain, Sony is very hot on 3D post production support and consumer as well as studio 3D monitors.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-26-2013, 06:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang S. View Post

The Panasonic Z10000, JVC TD1 and Sony TD10/20/30 are still available (for Sony it is still possible to find the TD10 if you are looking for it).

In addition, for both Sony and JVC the professional versions are available too, what makes a sense if one is looking for 1080 24p:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005QBTEIW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A17MC6HOH9AVE6

What you will not find are new developments. And there was the rumor that the JVC TD1 has been discontinued too.

Yes, I'm pretty sure the JVC TD1 is completely out of production. But at $900, the pro version JVC HMZ1 is a better buy than the TD1 would be anyway. It has almost every TD1 feature, plus manual controls and 24p capability - not to mention that it creates great looking 3D at a dirt cheap price. Vegas doesn't support the HMZ1's files natively, but there's a conversion utility that ships with the camcorder that splits the files (for use with virtually any 3D editor), and without taking up much more space than the native MVC files. And Edius has no trouble with any of the JVC files.

Although consumer 3D camcorders have not been a runaway success story, I consider myself very lucky to have as many great 3D tools as I've been able to accumulate over the last couple of years. 3D production at this level may not rival "mega-buck" professional gear, but it's possible to create some awfully good looking 3D for a very modest investment. I consider the lack of new camcorders unfortunate, but long term I'm still very hopeful for 3D's prospects. Meanwhile, I'm not selling any of my gear until some very good alternatives surface. I have the hardware and software tools I need to take me fairly comfortably from acquisition to final Blu-ray 3D disc. That's a lot more than I could have hoped for just a few short years ago.
Don Landis likes this.

Joe Clark

post #8 of 9 Old 05-27-2013, 01:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 210
As of April NAB, Panasonic said the Z10000 is still in production along with the 3 bigger brothers in their one piece 3D camcorder series. They said the next innovation will be the marriage of 4K technology and 3D one piece. This is about broadcast, not consumer, however.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-30-2013, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I also think that the Z10K is still in production. I have here both the Z10K and 3 units of the TD10, what is still fine for me. Can be used as single cameras or - two of the TD10s - with a side-by-side but also beamsplitter rig.

And I agree with Joe that this offers a good prosumer base in terms of equipment. I was thinking about to combine them with Ninja Atomos, but nobody was able to answer the question if the TD10 delivers a clean and true 4:2:2 hdmi output (the AC90 and so I think also the Z10K is able to do that).

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Source Components

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page