Some advice plz on the best quality / price camcorders in 2013 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-12-2013, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My budget is around $1500

I would like to know what would be the best 3D camcorder for close to that price, i value image quality above all and i would like it to be good in low light and would give the best "out of the screen" effects.

I'm also in no hurry, if there's a better cam coming on the market soon, i wouldn't mind waiting for it.

I have very few experience with 3D so far, i've only done a few movies using my LG optimus 3D cell phone or my nintendo 3DS wink.gif

I would like to make better, higher quality ones now, that would have better 3D effects too, with these 2 basic devices, i do get 3D effect, but i have to be very close to anything i film for the 3D to seem to get out of the screen.

I do have a nice 3D LG 47" HDTV at home, so i would like to have a camcorder that would give good results on that TV

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Steph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-12-2013, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Either you take this one here

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005QBTEIW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A17MC6HOH9AVE6

what is not a bad deal given the professional audio section, or you go for a Sony TD10 (if you can get one). Beside that you could also go for the Sony TD20/30.

Be aware that you will have to use Edius 6.5 or 7, the PD12 or Magix Pro X4/5 for the JVC. For the Sony cameras you can also use Vegas.

As far as I know, there are no new s3D cameras in the pipeline - everybody is going for 4K now.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #3 of 8 Old 09-13-2013, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

So, from what i can see at 1st glance, only the JVC GY-HMZ1U can record in 3D in 1920x1080 24p, the other models in this price range can only do 1920x1080 60i and all 4 models can do full HD in 3D in the MVC format, right?

The models are at these prices:

JVC GY-HMZ1U ~$1000
Sony TD10 ~$900
Sony TD20 ~$1500
Sony TD30 ~$1000

Any reason why the Sony TD20 is 50% more expensive? is it worth the extra $500 or i should i keep that money for a good editing software like Vegas?

No good panasonic models?

BTW, can anyone tell me why none of these camcorders can do 3D stills while my cellphone and my 3DS can? Is this a marketing decision?

Thanks

Steph
post #4 of 8 Old 09-13-2013, 02:31 PM

Liked: 11
The JVC definitely does take 3d still pics. It is basically an upgrade of the JVC GS-TD1 with the additional handle and XLR connectors. I have the TD1 and it is a great little camera although it lacks the 24p facility.

Roger
post #5 of 8 Old 09-14-2013, 03:39 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph73 View Post

So, from what i can see at 1st glance, only the JVC GY-HMZ1U can record in 3D in 1920x1080 24p, the other models in this price range can only do 1920x1080 60i and all 4 models can do full HD in 3D in the MVC format, right?

There is a little cavet, though (talking about JVC GY-HMZ1U).The picture sharpness in 24p mode is lower than in 60i (50i) mode. So, if you want the best sharpness, use 60i settings. Be sure that shutter speed is 1/60s or faster in 60i mode or 1/48s or faster in 24p mode. Otherwise sharpness will be additionally reduced. At least those were results I've got from my measurements.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-15-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph73 View Post

The models are at these prices:

JVC GY-HMZ1U ~$1000
Sony TD10 ~$900
Sony TD20 ~$1500
Sony TD30 ~$1000

Any reason why the Sony TD20 is 50% more expensive? is it worth the extra $500 or i should i keep that money for a good editing software like Vegas?

No good panasonic models?

BTW, can anyone tell me why none of these camcorders can do 3D stills while my cellphone and my 3DS can? Is this a marketing decision?

Thanks

Steph

With my TD10, which has no 3D still photo mode, I use PC software to capture 3D photos from individual video frames. This gives a lot of still frames to choose from, with no need to pose and hit the shutter at just the right moment.

"With Liberty, HDTV and Justice for all."
Richard Adams
post #7 of 8 Old 09-17-2013, 12:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:

The TD30 has fewer features than the TD20. And it is made with recycled components.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don Landis
post #8 of 8 Old 10-01-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 158
I just saw this thread. Don't know if the OP is still looking, but the JVC HMZ1 and Vegas 12 together retail for ~$1,500. With this hardware/software combo, and a sufficiently powerful computer, you can take a project all the way from acquisition to finished 1080/24p Blu-ray 3D disc that will play on any Blu-ray 3D player - all while staying in 24p. You don't need anything else. That's a BIG deal and helps you avoid some of the headaches and pitfalls many of us in this hobby have run into. The caveat is that there's one additional step in the workflow - converting the MVC footage into left/right streams with the utility included with the HMZ1. Vegas doesn't recognize JVC footage as 3D, but the separate streams can be imported into Vegas, paired and edited normally. Edius costs about the same as Vegas Pro, and it recognizes all the JVC 2D and 3D formats, but you can't burn the material directly to 24p Blu-ray 3D. You'd still need either Vegas or PowerDirector 11/12. I've grown quite fond of Edius, but if I were getting into this now I'd probably skip it and go with Vegas for the simpler workflow and easier multi-channel audio editing.

The HMZ1 is a great camcorder with some pro features, including zebra, touch focus/exposure, easy to use dynamic or manual convergence, an XLR mic adapter and selectable recording of 60i or 24p. Vegas and the JVC HMZ1 cost less combined than I paid for my JVC TD1 by itself, so I think this combo represents a tremendous value. All the manufacturers have "moved on" to 4K now, leaving some of us feeling a bit abandoned in 3D land, but the fact is that the last couple of years have seen the emergence of great hardware and software tools. For the hobbyist, "3D nirvana" is achievable. smile.gif

Joe Clark

Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page