Oppo BDP-93 ... worth $500 used? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 10-08-2013, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I'm looking for a blu-ray player that can play my 3D ISO rips from a usb hard drive ... this seems to be one of my few if only options.

Is it worth $500 used for one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-09-2013, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Probably, but if it has the latest firmware update it won't play 3D iso's anymore. The studios never wanted that feature and forced Oppo to remove it. It'll still play Cinavia protected disc copies, though, so it still might be worth it. No player produced after January 2012 will play such copies.

Joe Clark

post #3 of 15 Old 10-10-2013, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 133
I bought two of these things back in late 2011 and I might think about selling one of them, but it would be for a lot more than $500. One of the best HT purchases I have made.
post #4 of 15 Old 10-11-2013, 12:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Probably, but if it has the latest firmware update it won't play 3D iso's anymore. The studios never wanted that feature and forced Oppo to remove it. It'll still play Cinavia protected disc copies, though, so it still might be worth it. No player produced after January 2012 will play such copies.

Joe- Actually the OPPO dating for playing the 3D ISO's is tighter than just a deadline. There were flaws in ability to play the ISO's on the first version but these were fixed in the upgrade that was sent in December 2011 . I believe the forced removal of the ability happened in February 2012. I got the warning on this from OPPO and in mid January disconnected my OPPO BD-93 from the internet for good. It continues to play all current BD releases with no need for updates.

Deja Vu- I agree with you about the value of the BD93 if it can play the ISO's I wouldn't take $1500 for mine. I have mine connected to a bank of 2TB Drives.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don Landis
post #5 of 15 Old 10-11-2013, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Got it for $450--turned out to be another AVS member selling it and we had communicated before. Running analog out for the sound and I'm very happy with the improvement.
post #6 of 15 Old 10-11-2013, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

Joe- Actually the OPPO dating for playing the 3D ISO's is tighter than just a deadline. There were flaws in ability to play the ISO's on the first version but these were fixed in the upgrade that was sent in December 2011 . I believe the forced removal of the ability happened in February 2012. I got the warning on this from OPPO and in mid January disconnected my OPPO BD-93 from the internet for good. It continues to play all current BD releases with no need for updates.

Deja Vu- I agree with you about the value of the BD93 if it can play the ISO's I wouldn't take $1500 for mine. I have mine connected to a bank of 2TB Drives.

I have a BDP93 but with the latest firmware. No, it does not play the ISOs directly, however I can play any movie I have as a 3D ISO using the BDMV folder structure from a USB hard drive just fine. I currently view all of my 3D movies. Plus if you use AnyDVD you can replace the menu from the 3DISO with their speedmenus, which is a dramatic improvement in load times. This is only moderately inconvenient, however it gives me full playback, allows me to back up my 3D media, and gets to the movie quicker than the actual media playing on my oppo, so I see no reason why any version of a BDP93 isn't a winner!
Don Landis likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 Old 10-11-2013, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

damelon--could you please share your anydvd ripping settings to do as you describe?

And does that method work with forced subtitles?
post #8 of 15 Old 10-12-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

I have a BDP93 but with the latest firmware. No, it does not play the ISOs directly, however I can play any movie I have as a 3D ISO using the BDMV folder structure from a USB hard drive just fine. I currently view all of my 3D movies. Plus if you use AnyDVD you can replace the menu from the 3DISO with their speedmenus, which is a dramatic improvement in load times. This is only moderately inconvenient, however it gives me full playback, allows me to back up my 3D media, and gets to the movie quicker than the actual media playing on my oppo, so I see no reason why any version of a BDP93 isn't a winner!

While not as convenient as handling a single iso file, what you are doing seems to work and offers those additional advantages. Probably similar to my HiMedia 900 box that has to use the universal menu. I'm glad you posted this as it will help a lot of people who can't find the limited edition OPPO players.

I'm sure you can access the movie with a folder structure on the hard drive. Is it a pretty simple process? What file do you bring up on the OPPO USB menu to begin playing the disk in file format?

Don Landis
post #9 of 15 Old 10-12-2013, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I did it. Very simple. Just choose to rip the folder structure with anydvdhd and then select the folder with Oppo.

The only issue is that with 3D folder rips, they will be about twice the size of a straight ISO backup ...
post #10 of 15 Old 10-13-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Cable View Post

I did it. Very simple. Just choose to rip the folder structure with anydvdhd and then select the folder with Oppo.

The only issue is that with 3D folder rips, they will be about twice the size of a straight ISO backup ...

That was my next question. But it's a small price to pay for being able to create a juke box of your Blu Ray titles. I like it! Of course we do need to recognize it is still not permitted by the copyright owners to do this.

Don Landis
post #11 of 15 Old 10-13-2013, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Wait, what? Jukebox with oppo? You mean with cover art?

I thought that wasn't possible ...
post #12 of 15 Old 10-15-2013, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

While not as convenient as handling a single iso file, what you are doing seems to work and offers those additional advantages. Probably similar to my HiMedia 900 box that has to use the universal menu. I'm glad you posted this as it will help a lot of people who can't find the limited edition OPPO players.

I'm sure you can access the movie with a folder structure on the hard drive. Is it a pretty simple process? What file do you bring up on the OPPO USB menu to begin playing the disk in file format?

Don, Yes it was a very simple process, but it takes a little time.

Any DVD Settings:
Video Blu-Ray : Check the "Enable blu ray support" and uncheck all the others in the top section. Check the "Remove region code" in the bottom section and have it at "Automatic".
Video Blu-Ray->SpeedMenu : "Always Enabled" | "Sexy"

Steps:
1) Insert Disc
2) AnyDvd -> Rip To Image ( remove copy protection here )
3) wait!
4) Mount ripped image
5) Copy BDMV Folder to your external USB Drive (Put them inside a parent folder on your drive so you can identify which movie it is, like "Prometheus_3D" or something)
***I ripped them all and put the BDMV folders on my NAS so I don't have to re-rip later and move them to USB as needed***
6) Insert USB device to Oppo and Enjoy!

That's it. It will load quickly and play 3D from the USB on the Oppo no problem. Yes, it is about twice the size of the ISO, but at least 3D collections are very small. I don't see any "cover art" since I just play off of the USB and select the folder and it plays, but it does play and plays well, and doesn't require a special firmware. The whole point of ISO/Folder is that you don't have to play from the disc, either way it works, and the only real difference between the two is that one is smaller and requires 1 extra step. I wouldn't lose any sleep trying to find a special firmware, instead you can be up to date playing all of the latest stuff and still play 3D backups without any problem.

post #13 of 15 Old 10-23-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Thanks for the details. Interesting. Just one more question about that Speed menu. When you select the folder, does the folder play exactly like the original disk? Complete with previews, FBI warning and all? Or do you get a limited selection of what was on the disk? It seems if the selection was limited, you could save some HD space by deleting the parts that you never see anyway. Not sure if that would mess things up.

Don Landis
post #14 of 15 Old 10-23-2013, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the details. Interesting. Just one more question about that Speed menu. When you select the folder, does the folder play exactly like the original disk? Complete with previews, FBI warning and all? Or do you get a limited selection of what was on the disk? It seems if the selection was limited, you could save some HD space by deleting the parts that you never see anyway. Not sure if that would mess things up.

No, that I think was the point of speedmenu to begin with. It just loads directly to a menu, you click play and select 3D and the movie starts. So it's as close to MKV as you can get really (Which is how I play all of my blu rays anyway)

Though the menu does skip all of this content and allows you to go straight to the movie, I don't think it actually removes any data, so your entire BDMV folder could be manually picked apart and content removed if you wanted. I never really bothered to even try it.

post #15 of 15 Old 07-19-2014, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm selling mine with the old, ideal firmware (had disconnected it from the the Internet) - used only a year. Excellent condition. I'm in NYC.
jamesjaskew@gmail.com
Reply 3D Source Components

Tags
Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page