Does Netflix 3D work on Google Chromecast? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-15-2013, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

With Netflix no longer restricting 3D and Super HD content from users on ISP's that are not part of Netflix's Open Connect program (http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/09/netflix-no-longer-blocks-best-hd-content-when-feuding-with-your-isp/), I was wondering if Chromecast suports transmitting Netflix's 3D content to a TV that supports 3D? When I select a 3D movie on either my Android tablet or my iPhone and send it to my Chromecast, I see Netflix's 3D icon on my TV while my Chromecast is loading / buffering the movie, but once the movie loads it isn't in 3D. I then try pushing my TV's (55" Samsung ES7150) remote's 3D button, but still no 3D. 3D Blu-rays work fine on my TV. I have TWC's 15 x 1 service in San Diego, so I think I have enough bandwidth. Am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 156
I appreciate your tip on the latest Netflix 3D offerings. I've been waiting for this.

My results are mixed. The Vizio has the 3D titles listed by they all play in 2D.

I just checked out my Sony PS3 connected to my Sony VPL VW90ES projector and I get a selection that asks Do you wish to play in 3D?

Selecting yes, The movie begins to play in 3D but some are not consistent, switching back and forth between 2D and 3D. Other titles seem to play consistently in 3D. Elephants Dream played some parts where the left and right were reversed.

It seems to me Netflix 3D is nowhere near close to VuDu 3D quality, or even Wealth TV 3D in what is being transmitted, plus the selection is only a few titles from what I saw.

I would consider Netflix 3D an experiment-- work in progress at this time. If you just want to watch movies in 3D, Netflix is not yet ready for prime time but is making headway. I'm excited they are working on a selection of 3D streaming content, that may be superior to Vudu prices and selection when they finally get their act together.

As for bandwidth, it appears Netflix is asking for a minimum of 12Mbps. I should have plenty here as I test at an average of 50Mbps but who knows what Comcast is doing to me when I connect to Netflix.

Tags
Google Chromecast Hdmi Streaming Media Player